Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Peter Green
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-29-2009, 09:04 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Memphis Slim: Memphis Blues Suite

I just wanted to thank dansven for bringing this album to my attention. I received it two days ago, and it's well worth the purchase. Usually one stays away from hodge-podge blues collaborations because they don't work as a general rule. This album is the exception. It was recorded just a week or two after Peter Green left FM, and his playing is spot on perfect. The pictures of Green (working in the studio) in the CD booklet don't show an acid casualty, but a lucid and alert human being. I have to chuckle that Green, who was very heavy in his wah-wah phase, still found a way to incorporate that effect on a couple of songs. That probably "dates" this album to a degree, but this period of music is in my wheelhouse anyway.

Now I know by the time Green plays for B.B. King's London album, he wasn't the same person.
Old 01-29-2009, 11:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipkid View Post
I just wanted to thank dansven for bringing this album to my attention. I received it two days ago, and it's well worth the purchase. Usually one stays away from hodge-podge blues collaborations because they don't work as a general rule. This album is the exception. It was recorded just a week or two after Peter Green left FM, and his playing is spot on perfect. The pictures of Green (working in the studio) in the CD booklet don't show an acid casualty, but a lucid and alert human being. I have to chuckle that Green, who was very heavy in his wah-wah phase, still found a way to incorporate that effect on a couple of songs. That probably "dates" this album to a degree, but this period of music is in my wheelhouse anyway.

Now I know by the time Green plays for B.B. King's London album, he wasn't the same person.

I must get the re-release of that album too.
Maybe he just froze on the BB King sessions?
The playing on the Bob Welch track "Nightwatch" (1973) is amazing,
especielly if you listen with headphones.
Old 01-29-2009, 02:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino View Post
I must get the re-release of that album too.
Maybe he just froze on the BB King sessions?
The playing on the Bob Welch track "Nightwatch" (1973) is amazing,
especielly if you listen with headphones.
It's possible he froze for those sessions. Yet that would indicate a personality change because during the Mayall early FM era he was cocky and confident. It wasn't long after those sessions he left music altogether. "Nightwatch" was the first time Green stepped in a studio in two years.
Old 01-29-2009, 05:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Anytime, Slipkid!
Peter looks great on those photos!
He also plays good wahwah blues on Toe Fat Two. But most of that album is more prog rock.

Nightwatch is a cool track and Peter plays great on it. Too bad they mixed it so low.
Old 01-30-2009, 02:05 AM
Ledgie

Wich reissue did you get? The French one with bonus tracks or the one on Wounded Bird? I've been thinking for a little too long now to get the French release. If you got that one - is it good? Soundwise, booklet text etc.
Old 01-30-2009, 03:50 AM
Senior Ledgie

Default Another edition by SUNNYSIDE COMMUNICATIONS. INC in the USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeydevil View Post
Wich reissue did you get? The French one with bonus tracks or the one on Wounded Bird? I've been thinking for a little too long now to get the French release. If you got that one - is it good? Soundwise, booklet text etc.
Hello,
I have another expanded edition from 2006 (SSC 3045) with bonus tracks (Mother Earth and I've Got Soul) published by SUNNYSIDE COMMUNICATIONS. INC in the USA licensed by UNIVERSAL MUSIC FRANCE.
Booklet contains a lot of photos and texts by Philippe Rault and Chris Spedding.

Greetings from Poland
Krzysztof
Old 01-30-2009, 08:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeydevil View Post
It's the French 2006 release (Sunnyside) with the two bonus tracks. It sounds great.
Old 01-30-2009, 11:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Are we listening to the same cd?

I have the 2006 version with the 2 bonus tracks. Never liked it or Memphis Slim, so I never listened to it again. I think it was because I found Memphis Slim too boring somehow...and PG limited Great pictures though and nice but boring liner notes. Maybe I was in an extremely bad mood that day!

Maybe I should give it a go again because judging from your responses to it I must have been deaf!

Ms Moose