Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-27-2020, 02:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Deluxe Mac

I've been enjoying all the extra cuts that got released with the deluxe versions of Fleetwood Mac albums. In some cases, I think the alternate versions of songs are actually better than what ended up on the albums.

I love the alternate version of "Tango In The Night". It sounds like Buckingham is unsure of the lyrics in the first verse (the way he sings it), but I love the spookier vibe of the song. The background vocals for the chorus are fantastic.

I also like the alternate version of "Only Over You" from the MIRAGE sessions. It's longer, the intro establishes a much stronger feeling for the song. The only thing missing is the militaristic drum roll during the vamp section which got inserted for the official version.

I've seen a lot of people say they prefer the "Smile At You" from the MIRAGE sessions over the version that ended up on SAY YOU WILL. I really like both - but they really sound like completely different songs due to the production.

On the other hand, I think the Mac version of "If You Were My Love" is superior to any version Nicks did as a solo artist.
Old 04-27-2020, 05:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabruns View Post
I've been enjoying all the extra cuts that got released with the deluxe versions of Fleetwood Mac albums. In some cases, I think the alternate versions of songs are actually better than what ended up on the albums.

I love the alternate version of "Tango In The Night". It sounds like Buckingham is unsure of the lyrics in the first verse (the way he sings it), but I love the spookier vibe of the song. The background vocals for the chorus are fantastic.

I also like the alternate version of "Only Over You" from the MIRAGE sessions. It's longer, the intro establishes a much stronger feeling for the song. The only thing missing is the militaristic drum roll during the vamp section which got inserted for the official version.

I've seen a lot of people say they prefer the "Smile At You" from the MIRAGE sessions over the version that ended up on SAY YOU WILL. I really like both - but they really sound like completely different songs due to the production.

On the other hand, I think the Mac version of "If You Were My Love" is superior to any version Nicks did as a solo artist.
YES!! The demo version on Only Over You is simply wonderful. That intro is beautiful!!
The Sparkly Piano version of If You Were My Love -available on YT- is, for me, the best version of that song, even better than the 2016 release. Well, except for the audio quality, which of course is worse for the Sparkly one...
Old 04-27-2020, 07:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon View Post
YES!! The demo version on Only Over You is simply wonderful. That intro is beautiful!!
The Sparkly Piano version of If You Were My Love -available on YT- is, for me, the best version of that song, even better than the 2016 release. Well, except for the audio quality, which of course is worse for the Sparkly one...

If You Were My Love Mirage version has always been my favorite. I also love the alt versions of Book of Love and Wish You Were Here.
Old 04-27-2020, 08:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The alternate version of Empire State sounds like something that would have easily fit on the Tusk album. It takes the song in a completely different (and better) direction than the album version in my opinion. I also love the alternate version of Love In Store. I love all of Lindsey's "glitzes and twinkly bits" that are in that version as Christine would put it.
Old 04-27-2020, 10:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street_Dreamer View Post
The alternate version of Empire State sounds like something that would have easily fit on the Tusk album. It takes the song in a completely different (and better) direction than the album version in my opinion. I also love the alternate version of Love In Store. I love all of Lindsey's "glitzes and twinkly bits" that are in that version as Christine would put it.
I'm one of the three people that LOVE Empire State just as it is on the album.
Old 04-28-2020, 10:58 AM

You want to hear Christine's amazing piano skills. Listen to Get Like You Used to Be. (White Album Deluxe) Not so much her solo, which is fantastic, but what she is doing after her solo and into Lindsey's solo. Just Wow! Lightening speed!
Old 04-28-2020, 11:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
I'm one of the three people that LOVE Empire State just as it is on the album.
I love the whole album as it is, except that I’d erase That’s Alright from the face of the Earth, but that’s a whole different story.
"I think what you would say is that there were factions within the band that had lost their perspective. What that did was to harm the 43-year legacy that we had worked so hard to build, and that legacy was really about rising above difficulties in order to fulfill one's higher truth and one's higher destiny."
Lindsey Buckingham, May 11, 2018.
Old 04-28-2020, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by button-lip View Post
I love the whole album as it is, except that I’d erase That’s Alright from the face of the Earth, but that’s a whole different story.
Nice to see you back!! Missed you. I like That's Alright. I'd erase Oh Diane and add another Christine song.
Old 04-28-2020, 12:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
Nice to see you back!! Missed you. I like That's Alright. I'd erase Oh Diane and add another Christine song.
Has anyone ever determined if she’s the writer of “Put a Candle in the Window”? I like the run through on MIRAGE Deluxe. It would have been a much better addition than “Oh Diane.”
Old 04-28-2020, 03:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I don't mind Oh Diane. It's not a favorite. But I'd say it's equal to Family Man. Not my first play, but okay for album filler.
Old 04-28-2020, 07:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
That strange 1983 Top of the Pops presentation comes to mind now that you mention Oh Diane....

Stevie's killer looks, that dance floor…. OMG!

Hope you're staying safe.
"I think what you would say is that there were factions within the band that had lost their perspective. What that did was to harm the 43-year legacy that we had worked so hard to build, and that legacy was really about rising above difficulties in order to fulfill one's higher truth and one's higher destiny."
Lindsey Buckingham, May 11, 2018.
Old 04-29-2020, 08:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

One cool thing about the deluxe versions is you really hear what Buckingham's studio skills can do. Going from the alternate version of "Hold Me" to the official version - with very Buckingham additions like "Ho-old me" and the bark-scream right before the last "ho-old me" - really fascinating.

In the alternate version you can see what a gem of a song it is as McVie wrote it, but then Buckingham's production really punches it up and makes it better.
Old 05-13-2020, 11:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I just got around to hearing the alternate version of "Wish You Were Here". Wow! Strings???? I'm not used to hearing strings (or string sounding synths) on a Mac song. I know they did them on "Everybody Finds Out" but I thought that was the first time.

For me, this version and the alternate version of "Only Over You" are both way better than the versions that ended up on MIRAGE. I find the MIRAGE versions both on the boring side - these alternate versions add a lot of life and depth and increase the quality of these two tunes.
Old 05-14-2020, 08:42 AM

Agree on Hold Me. Take Stevie off, put LB on. And create a straight tone harmony (not vibrato) in the verses. Unbelievable good writing and producing. The piano and guitar are sublime. What they did with the vocal tracks is so good. Kudos to BuckVie. They really nailed a hit down!

Last edited by jbrownsjr; 05-14-2020 at 08:46 AM..