The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
View Poll Results: If Lindsey could turn back time, would he have helped Stevie soo much?
yes, her success benefitted him too 18 75.00%
no, she is a user and an egomaniac 4 16.67%
He should of stopped helping her after Tusk. 2 8.33%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-29-2021, 11:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default If Lindsey could turn back time, would he have helped Stevie soo much?

If Lindsey could turn back time, would he have helped Stevie soo much? He made Stevie a star but after she got some power, she did nothing but hurt him. She used him for hit songs and then got him fired when she realized she didn't need him to make money on tours anymore.
Old 12-29-2021, 11:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

As much as I'd love to say no(for me and him), the fact is -

THEY'D ALL BE NOTHING WITHOUT FLEETWOOD MAC.

Perhaps stopping after Tusk would have been an option, but their career would have severely waned without a successful Mirage and Tango. SYW sucks, so he should have stopped after Tango.
Old 12-30-2021, 01:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
As much as I'd love to say no(for me and him), the fact is -

THEY'D ALL BE NOTHING WITHOUT FLEETWOOD MAC.

Perhaps stopping after Tusk would have been an option, but their career would have severely waned without a successful Mirage and Tango. SYW sucks, so he should have stopped after Tango.
His songs don't suck. His songs were real complete songs. Her songs sucked. Buckingham/McVie is a much better album.
Old 12-30-2021, 01:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post
His songs don't suck. His songs were real complete songs. Her songs sucked. Buckingham/McVie is a much better album.
But as a whole, it's just too damned long, with too many sh*tty songs. Silver Girl, Illume, and yes, I'm not fond of Come(I've never been much on screaming).

I've not listened to SYW for god, probably at least 5 years(probably closer to 10). I LOVE Buck/Vie, and will listen to it until the day I die. I listened to White last night, and Rumours tonight, so it's in good company.
Old 12-30-2021, 03:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

This is a loaded question so its hard to answer. The answer is yes and no and who cares. Lindsey has changed like all of us change over the years. I remember an interview he did during Mirage where he stated he saw his future of never touring after the age of 40 LOL

I think even he admits her solo success bothered him. I think the jealousy definitely made him regret helping her. He has said this numerous times in interviews that it was hard for him to help her but he still did.

After Tusk I dont think he helped her to the degree he did in the earlier years. And to be honest, it would have been really hard to do it anyway. She was not sober in the early Tango days.

If he could turn back time would he have still done it? Probably so because in those early days her success was his success. Did he regret it later on? Yes. Does he care today? Probably not. Lindsey seems at peace these days and not into fighting but more setting the record straight. He would go back to the Mac and help Stevie if asked to do it. Although it wont happen.

Strange enough Lindsey even helped Stevie when she was not around making his voice sound like hers and doing clever things in layering her voice in areas on Tango. So even post Tusk, he was still a team member making the group effort the most important thing. Stevie's songs on Tango suck not because he did not want to help her but that she contributed bad songs and she was not around in the process to make them better. You can put lipstick on a pig but its still a pig

I also think he worked his ass off on SYW and she has some great songs on there (sorry Homer). BTW, stop hating on Lindsey for the way he sings and plays guitar (come).

Last edited by Macfan4life; 12-30-2021 at 03:35 PM..
Old 12-30-2021, 05:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
I also think he worked his ass off on SYW and she has some great songs on there (sorry Homer). BTW, stop hating on Lindsey for the way he sings and plays guitar (come).
You're not a bit sorry!!!

And Come sucks.
Old 12-30-2021, 05:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
You're not a bit sorry!!!

And Come sucks.

Oh Daddy, Come, Silver Girl

If you had to hear one song every day that you wake up to, the song you hear every Friday on the way home from work, and the song you have sex to.

GO!
Old 12-30-2021, 06:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Oh Daddy, Come, Silver Girl

If you had to hear one song every day that you wake up to, the song you hear every Friday on the way home from work, and the song you have sex to.

GO!
Think About Me is my ULTIMATE JAM. Not ultimate FM jam. Ultimate jam, period!

Name the song to which you lost your virginity?
Naked Eyes - Always Something There To Remind Me

And, GO!!!
Old 12-30-2021, 07:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

They all needed each other. The sum was greater than the parts.
Old 12-31-2021, 08:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

In retrospect, Lindsey is far and and away Stevie's best musical arranger/producer. Not only were the songs better, but he always knew exactly what to do with them, even the Tango stinkers had some clever added touches which would have been great if the songs were better written. By and large, all of those songs hold up better than any solo effort, sans Bella Donna and 1/2 of the Wild Heart, there just is no comparison. Everything that happened with the band is of course decades water under the bridge, but I think had Rumours sold less than 10 million, it would have been a much better band overall and we maybe would have at least another 5 albums in our collection. Purely looking at Stevie though, the cold hard truth is that she desperately needed an intervention and a break from the road in about mid 77 to save her sanity and her voice which around that time was about to cave. Had that happened, I think her legendary status may actually have been warranted and her voice would have held up better than it has.
Old 12-31-2021, 11:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by On Ice View Post
In retrospect, Lindsey is far and and away Stevie's best musical arranger/producer. Not only were the songs better, but he always knew exactly what to do with them, even the Tango stinkers had some clever added touches which would have been great if the songs were better written. By and large, all of those songs hold up better than any solo effort, sans Bella Donna and 1/2 of the Wild Heart, there just is no comparison. Everything that happened with the band is of course decades water under the bridge, but I think had Rumours sold less than 10 million, it would have been a much better band overall and we maybe would have at least another 5 albums in our collection. Purely looking at Stevie though, the cold hard truth is that she desperately needed an intervention and a break from the road in about mid 77 to save her sanity and her voice which around that time was about to cave. Had that happened, I think her legendary status may actually have been warranted and her voice would have held up better than it has.
I don't think it would have made a difference in her voice holding out. She never knew how to sing properly, and once she finally had some voice lessons, listen to what we got. There would have been no smoldering Rhiannons, if she'd been holding back, like she's done for the past 30 years.
Old 12-31-2021, 11:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Yes, of course he should have helped her. They wanted and needed success... What was good for her, was good for the band, which was good for him.

... However, what he should have done, and what I'm sure he regrets is not insisting on being properly credited, both as a songwriter and as a producer. He should have put his foot down and insisted on getting recognition. Words by Stevie Nicks, music by Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham.
....yeah, perhaps he deserved sole credit for the music a lot of the time... But maybe that's one argument too far.

If he had proper recognition for her songs and the production, he'd probably be viewed differently now relative to her success.

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 12-31-2021, 05:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by On Ice View Post
It amuses me how much credit Lindsey gets for Stevie’s success on this board. Apparently, he was able to craft her songs into works of art that were huge hits, yet he was unable to do the same for himself. This is not an anti-LB rant, just an observation. A few folks here go on and on about how Lindsey turned Stevie’s songs into masterpieces, to which I say exhibit A- When I See You Again. One of the worst things I’ve ever heard from FM. If Lindsey gets so much credit for Stevie’s successes, he should then get the blame for her failures, and that song is a failure on so many levels. This isn’t directed at you, OnIce, just to folks in general.
Old 12-31-2021, 07:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
It amuses me how much credit Lindsey gets for Stevie’s success on this board. Apparently, he was able to craft her songs into works of art that were huge hits, yet he was unable to do the same for himself. This is not an anti-LB rant, just an observation. A few folks here go on and on about how Lindsey turned Stevie’s songs into masterpieces, to which I say exhibit A- When I See You Again. One of the worst things I’ve ever heard from FM. If Lindsey gets so much credit for Stevie’s successes, he should then get the blame for her failures, and that song is a failure on so many levels. This isn’t directed at you, OnIce, just to folks in general.
Can you provide more exhibits please?
I like When I See You Again. I think The Second Time is her worst ballad ever.
Old 12-31-2021, 08:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnwindedDreams View Post
Can you provide more exhibits please?
I like When I See You Again. I think The Second Time is her worst ballad ever.
Exhibit B- Her entire solo career, of which Lindsey had absolutely nothing to do with.

I remember several reviews of Tango in which When I See You Again was called the weakest song on the album, although a few reviews liked it. The Second Time is not great, either, but it’s not as bad as the former. Faint praise though. Whassa matter… baby… baby… BABY! Nothing on the Second Time is as bad as that.