Old 02-20-2022, 11:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default You Make Covers Fun

Fun YMLF cover…

https://youtu.be/jp5MfEbOytY
Old 02-21-2022, 06:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Really good. She has a great voice. This cover just highlights what a great song this is. Its one of Chris's best keyboard groove. The guitar is incredible too. Putting them together is D Y N O M I T E. The song would have been a success without all the guitar licks. But Lindsey put this thick delicious icing all over the cake that takes the song to an entirely new level. His guitar is on fire. Stripping down the song with just the keyboard groove or just hearing the guitar will blow you away.

Guitar only
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpkagsEE0c4

Keyboard backing only
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGAv_--h7Aw

Makes me dig out my Oh Daddy shawl and dance around

Last edited by Macfan4life; 02-21-2022 at 06:58 AM..
Old 02-22-2022, 08:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default …some instrumental Warm Ways

https://youtu.be/9nVq15UtFJo
Old 02-22-2022, 09:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougl View Post
Very pretty, Doug.

Here’s a group doing a wonderful “Over My Head.” Dig that cool percussion on the congas in the background (to the right of the excellent drummer). Very Mick Fleetwood.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 02-22-2022, 10:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Very pretty, Doug.

Here’s a group doing a wonderful “Over My Head.” Dig that cool percussion on the congas in the background (to the right of the excellent drummer). Very Mick Fleetwood.
Nice find! Calypso feel takes “Over My Head” into “Did You Ever Love Me” territory. And a sunny jam to boot.
Old 02-23-2022, 05:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Love it

I am puzzled why Warm Ways does not get much love. Clearly the record company thought enough of it to release it as the official first single in England.

Its something I can hear on Bare Trees without the Stevie/Lindsey harmonies of course
Old 02-23-2022, 11:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Love it

I am puzzled why Warm Ways does not get much love. Clearly the record company thought enough of it to release it as the official first single in England.

Its something I can hear on Bare Trees without the Stevie/Lindsey harmonies of course
Much like your birth certificate, it's VERY dated(sounding).

Seriously, the production sounds antiquated.
Old 02-24-2022, 12:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
Much like your birth certificate, it's VERY dated(sounding).

Seriously, the production sounds antiquated.
No more so than dozens of other famous and more-enduring songs from that era. Yes, you hear it and instantly recognize the mid-70s. But I think the reason this very lovely little song doesn’t get much recognition or respect is because it, unlike most of the Rumours-era music, is an unapologetically easy-listening song without that trademark kick that separated FM from the likes of AM radio darlings like Neil Sedaka and Rita Coolidge. Even when the Mac is at its most laid-back and “adult-oriented” (usually via Christine), the killer rhythm section makes the songs crackle and spark. “Warm Ways” doesn’t transcend its genre.

Still, it’ gorgeous.
Old 02-24-2022, 02:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
No more so than dozens of other famous and more-enduring songs from that era. Yes, you hear it and instantly recognize the mid-70s. But I think the reason this very lovely little song doesn’t get much recognition or respect is because it, unlike most of the Rumours-era music, is an unapologetically easy-listening song without that trademark kick that separated FM from the likes of AM radio darlings like Neil Sedaka and Rita Coolidge. Even when the Mac is at its most laid-back and “adult-oriented” (usually via Christine), the killer rhythm section makes the songs crackle and spark. “Warm Ways” doesn’t transcend its genre.

Still, it’ gorgeous.
I'm not certain if that's praise, or a critique. Or confirmation of it sounding dated. It's those "tom fills" that drive me crazy.

FM was embracing a new sound, yet WW wasn't quite up to the new standard.

I do agree that any Christine lullaby is gorgeous. No matter how dated...
Old 02-24-2022, 04:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I'm not certain if that's praise, or a critique. Or confirmation of it sounding dated. It's those "tom fills" that drive me crazy.

Stop your Stevie worship and listen for a moment.

Warm Ways is one of the songs on the White Album that sounds so much like Fleetwood Mac and could appear on an earlier album. Its very much like Sugar Daddy. The White Album has sounds that are Buckingham Nicks like Landslide and pre-Nicks Classic Mac sound like Warm Ways and Sugar Daddy. There are songs that have that perfect mix of both like Say You Love Me.

The ending of Warm Ways is beautiful too where each instrument plays by itself before the song ends.....the acoustic guitar.....then keyboards, etc. Very rare and beautiful.

Hate the game, not the player
Old 02-24-2022, 10:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

It's confirmation that it sounds dated. But recognition of a lovely song. There are countless dated easy-listening songs from that era I still love.

Unlike those songs, most of FM's Rumours-era catalogue transcends its time. WW doesn't. At the time, it was pushed as the first single, which tells me the band were trying to get on the radio following the trends of the time. They did this with the HAHTF single, too, where it was engineered to appeal--and failed. All those stock-in-trade devices that both of these songs resort to leave these otherwise lovely tunes in the museum of lost songs.

Conversely, Over My Head was the last track completed for the record. Christine has said repeatedly that they didn't know how to present it so they decided on less-is-more. The song may have been retooled as a single for FM radio, but its the album version that sticks.
Old 02-24-2022, 01:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
It's confirmation that it sounds dated. But recognition of a lovely song. There are countless dated easy-listening songs from that era I still love.

Unlike those songs, most of FM's Rumours-era catalogue transcends its time. WW doesn't. At the time, it was pushed as the first single, which tells me the band were trying to get on the radio following the trends of the time. They did this with the HAHTF single, too, where it was engineered to appeal--and failed. All those stock-in-trade devices that both of these songs resort to leave these otherwise lovely tunes in the museum of lost songs.

Conversely, Over My Head was the last track completed for the record. Christine has said repeatedly that they didn't know how to present it so they decided on less-is-more. The song may have been retooled as a single for FM radio, but its the album version that sticks.
Thats interesting. I did not know OMH was the last song added to the album. I like the album version but all the singles from the White Album that got tweaked for single release, OMH is my favorite. I love Lindsey's plucking his guitar that adds this melody that keeps the song churning just like the organ. IMHO the single versions of all the singles of the White album are superior to the album version. Reason: Lindsey. All those added guitar parts really make the songs come alive.
Old 02-24-2022, 02:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Thats interesting. I did not know OMH was the last song added to the album. I like the album version but all the singles from the White Album that got tweaked for single release, OMH is my favorite. I love Lindsey's plucking his guitar that adds this melody that keeps the song churning just like the organ. IMHO the single versions of all the singles of the White album are superior to the album version. Reason: Lindsey. All those added guitar parts really make the songs come alive.
My favorite version is OMH from the live 1980 album.
Old 02-24-2022, 05:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Little Lies

Not sure if this has been posted before, quite a nice production.

https://youtu.be/vbSmojFvJxA
Old 02-24-2022, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Not sure if this has been posted before, quite a nice production.

https://youtu.be/vbSmojFvJxA
I like this.