User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-17-2010, 03:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by APerfectLie View Post
Of course Silver Springs was not supposed to be on Rumours. Even tho it was so against what Stevie wanted, fate stepped in at that moment when Mick decided not to include it. That one song has played quite a role in the band. I feel if it was on Rumours, it would not have drastically changed the album, but I think SS would have become a somewhat forgotten song that Stevie wouldn't even consider doing today. Also, she would have never left Fleetwood Mac because of the whole SS/Timespace/Mick argument in 1990. Nor would we have gotten the amazing version from The Dance.
Oh, I disagree; SS was played nonstop on the radio throughout the Rumours era, and I was actually shocked to learn that it was not on the album. I think it could have easily become a top 10 hit back in the day, and could have taken on the same prominence in every subsequent setlist that "Gold Dust Woman" and "Dreams" enjoy today.

There is no question that SS belonged on Rumours. I think if "The Chain" was moved to the opening track on Side A, Side B should have opened up with SS.
Old 04-17-2010, 04:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Silver Springs does not belong. I Don't Wanna Know most definitely certainly abso-friggin-lutely DOES BELONG exactly where it is on that exact precise album. fercryingoutloud

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 04-17-2010, 04:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Silver Springs (or Think About It or Planets) didn't make it onto the record because they needed a song that featured a strong vocal presence by Lindsey. If you replace I Don't Wanna' Know Side Two of Rumours would have been almost exclusively female (save The Chain). Of course they could have re-sequenced but then that would throw Side One off kilter. The song also breaks up two keyboard-heavy Christine songs, so it makes sense to have a guitar-driven Buckingham-Nicks collaborative land where it does. Although Silver Springs has turned out to be a classic in its own right, I Don't Wanna' Know suits the needs of the album much more effectively.
Old 04-17-2010, 11:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Oh, I disagree; SS was played nonstop on the radio throughout the Rumours era, and I was actually shocked to learn that it was not on the album. I think it could have easily become a top 10 hit back in the day, and could have taken on the same prominence in every subsequent setlist that "Gold Dust Woman" and "Dreams" enjoy today.

There is no question that SS belonged on Rumours. I think if "The Chain" was moved to the opening track on Side A, Side B should have opened up with SS.
HejiraNYC, I couldn't agree more with everything you have said. If "Silver Springs" had been promoted back in the day, either as a single in it's own right or as a prominent album track (as it would undoubtedly have been), it would have been one of their most famous tracks from that period. I also dig the sequencing idea of shifting "The Chain" and opening Side 2 with "SS".
Old 04-18-2010, 07:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Personally, I can think of very few things that I'd say with as much confidence as my opinion that "Silver Springs" belongs on Rumours. It was the perfect B-side to "Go Your Own Way", and definitely belongs right next to it on the album. As for the overall sequencing of Rumours:
"The Chain"
"Dreams"
"Songbird"
"Gold Dust Woman"
"Never Going Back Again"
"Second Hand News"
"I Don't Want To Know"
"Go Your Own Way"
"Silver Springs"
"Oh Daddy"!
"Don't Stop"!
"You Make Loving Fun"!
NB. Not necessarily in that order...
Old 04-19-2010, 04:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HejiraNYC View Post

I see where you are coming from
It's a great album already, and how many people even know of its existence. Think about - 40 million people bought this monster album. How many were die-hards? Who would've known then, and now