The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > The Penguin > Q&A Discussions

Old 08-11-2001, 10:27 AM
Ledgie

Lightbulb

Marty...

Would concentrating on getting 'Mirage', the HBO In Concert Special, released first on DVD be easier?

This is something that everyone wants and it would eliminate the step of having to discuss a set list. I think this may generate the 10,000 names needed and then a video comilation can be proposed as a follow-up.

And then maybe the Tusk Tour Documentary and Disney 'Going Home' Special.

Jo :-)
Old 08-11-2001, 10:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Smile I'll take anything too!

I agree that previously unreleased stuff would be top priority but I'd still hate for them to take a song from an unseen concert and then have to buy it again later if they were to release the whole concert so I vote for avoiding duplication and chopping up concerts at all costs. If they do plan to jack up the price, we might as well get our moneys worth rather than them using all the marketing tricks like releasing a big set of stuff we already have but we'd still need to buy it because it has one thing on there we don't have you know what I mean? I know that's not the original plan anyways but it's just a fear of what could snowball that should be given some thought, I'm sure I'm not the only one that thinks this way.

Also, since they seem to want to test the waters with a singular release. I'd say Brian's list is the one which would guarantee them the sales figures they would hope for on the initial project (as, in addition to the fans, the more everyday customer may buy the music video disc as has been the case for artist such as Madonna's video collections) which would then hopefully make them feel more enthusiastic about possible future releases. Also, as the music videos use the studio recordings, I presume it would be easier for Ken to do his thing with the surround sound audio tracks on the videos and there would be more of a chance of the inclusion of "special features/bonus materials" like outtakes from videos (such as the ones from "Hold me") and "making of" footage (like the film that exists already of the making of "Gypsy") etc. Anyone else been thinking this? (I hope I'm not the only one!) As I say though, I will buy it regardless so if everyone wants to go with the other compilation idea then that's OK with me and I'll go along wit it, this is just my humble opinion.

John
Old 08-11-2001, 01:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Exclamation Jo & Jensen, just read your post!

As I was posting the above, I just saw the above post by Jo and Jensen, yes, I agree, maybe this would be easiest, and if it takes off as we are all sure that it will there won't be the urgency over the one release and what should go on it because I would hope at that point that as they would be happy with the sales results, they may be more flexible with more releases, space & time restrictions so it would then be a more relaxed discussion group over subsequent releases and the content therein. Once again though, I'll go along with the majority ruling because I'll take anything! What do you think Marty?

John
Old 08-11-2001, 02:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Hi All

VH1 in the UK have shown a Greatest Hits package from Fleetwood Mac and the following videos were shown -

Everywhere, Hold Me, Family Man, Seven Wonders, Big Love, Rhiannon, Need Your Love So Bad, Gypsy, Little Lies, Save Me, Man Of The World, Isn't It Midnight and Go Your Own Way.

If we are resricted just to music videos on the first release may I suggest

Tusk
Hold Me
Gypsy
Big Love
Seven Wonders
Family Man
Isn't It Midnight (the video was a segment of the Tango Tour)
Little Lies
Everywhere
As Long as You Follow
Paper Doll
Love Shines
Save Me
Skies The Limit

plus - The Making of Gypsy and Big Love and the outtakes from Hold Me as bonus material on the DVD

Any thoughts?

http://stillgoinginsane.fleetwoodmac-uk.com
Still Going Insane - A Lindsey Buckingham Resource
Old 08-11-2001, 03:20 PM
Junior Ledgie

Talking Add me to the list too!!

I'd go for anything, but would be particularly interested in the Mirage HBO special, Tusk Documentary and the Disney Going Home special too!! Even better, would be some unreleased footage which might include interviews as well as concert footage.
Old 08-11-2001, 03:21 PM
Junior Ledgie

Wink Oops... Just thought of something else that would be great...

Footage from the Rumours tour... backstage as well as live concert footage that was shot in Japan I think...
Old 08-11-2001, 03:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Since an approximately 12-track compilation would be the most financially feasible to produce, I've written up a couple additional lists.
Obviously we'd have to have some kind of vote to narrow down which of these (or any others) would be the most popular choice.
I have tried to keep the tracks as even-handed as possible... trying to make sure each singer/songwriter is adequately represented, and that no one dominates the selection. But doing that can be difficult, as Lindsey has the least amount of singles/videos, and Christine has almost more than Stevie and Lindsey combined.

This first list compiles clips strictly from the Buckingham Nicks era:
  1. Over My Head (Midnight Special)
  2. Rhiannon ('Rosebud')
  3. Go Your Own Way ('Rosebud')
  4. Dreams (Paris soundcheck promo video)
  5. Don't Stop (Paris promo video)
  6. You Make Loving Fun (filmed live in Japan)
  7. Tusk
  8. Hold Me
  9. Gypsy
  10. Big Love
  11. Seven Wonders
  12. Little Lies

This second list includes clips from both the Buckingham Nicks era and the Post-Buckingham era."Everywhere" and "In The Back Of My Mind" are omitted, because, quite frankly, the band members aren't featured enough in those two videos, in my opinion[list=1][*]Rhiannon ('Rosebud')[*]Go Your Own Way ('Rosebud')[*]Tusk[*]Hold Me[*]Gypsy[*]Big Love[*]Seven Wonders[*]Little Lies[*]As Long As You Follow[*]Save Me[*]Skies The Limit[*]Paper Doll[/list=1]

This final list is a strict compilation of the "concept videos" from 1979-1993 only.
Of course, Christine completely dominates this list, as more videos were filmed for her singles than any of the other band members.[list=1][*]Tusk[*]Hold Me[*]Gypsy[*]Big Love[*]Seven Wonders[*]Little Lies[*]Everywhere[*]As Long As You Follow[*]Save Me[*]Skies The Limit[*]In The Back Of My Mind[*]Paper Doll[*]Love Shines[/list=1]

Opinions?

Johnny Stew
Old 08-11-2001, 05:45 PM
Gypsyblue

I really like "Johnny Stews" lists , except that it does'nt include Sara I think the DVD should really include an unrealesed performance of Sara.
Someone also mentioned about putting in some behind the scenes footage or "making of" footage , I think that's a GREAT idea.
Another question that seems to come up is, is this going to be just a compilation of all the videos onto one DVD or will it be a compilation of different concert footage on one DVD??? If had to choose between the two I would really love a Live footage compilation DVD, that contains never before seen performances.
I personally think a video compilation of things already seen is nice, but to get a DVD of "Live" never before seen footage is even better!!
Old 08-11-2001, 06:12 PM
Administrator
Supporting Ledgie

Hi--

Ok, here's an update. I am working on preparing an online petition and its going quite well. I hope to have it up soon. I'll put it up now because there are a lot of us that, regardless of the 12 songs that are on it will assuredly purchase it. 10,000 is a lot...we should start collecting them as soon as possible. Others may want to know what is specifically going to be on it so we'll ammend that information as soon as we know it.

I inquired with Ken about some of the live performances that are in Warners' vaults. As we don't know specifically what they have its rather difficult for us to tell him specifically what we want-- especially for the never-before-seen stuff. He replied that he got a listing of Warners' vault contents last Thursday and is going to have it faxed to me; I guess this would be on Monday. We'll then have a much clearer idea of what is in there.

He had indicated that the Mirage video might be more difficult to release as the rights to that are owned by HBO.

This is also to be added to the Q&A in his latest answers:

Quote:
Hi Ken! I've heard you say a lot about people's questions to release live recordings to the public. But what is the PROBABILITY that it could happen? I am a HUGE fan of a lot of they're live material from the Tusk tour, and would love to see some of it out. Do you think it can happen? Thanks!! (Graham Zebrasky, Brownsburg, Indiana, USA)

If not help from the outside, then Warners would have a less than 10% chance of releasing something live. Remember they already have the Dance out and the live album, they don't want to hurt sales on those, I promise you some exec at Warners knows he'd be canned for suggesting such a "stupid" idea as hurting sales of product they already have out. Plus, you know musicians, they're always excited on what they're working on now. The band probably would feel not inclined to release old stuff. I believe they'd think that their fans would think they're just releasing the old stuff to make money, which is exactly what labels do after a band is finished putting out new stuff. Look at the Beatles. Capitol is releasing every possible combination they can think of to make more money. We call it "milking the catalogue." I'm going to downgrade my estimate to 1%. Now if Marty can collect enough requests for this as well, we could probably license it.

I'm really hoping that whatever we come up with here would prove that there is a fan base. Ken looks like he would be a powerful advocate for us to see this footage. If we get a strong showing and it is sucessful, then I would think that it would make subsequent releases much, much more possible. I'm, of course, hoping that we won't have to collect 10,000 names for each release too!

I'll try to have the petition scripts running within the next few days, if not sooner on The Penguin. We'll really need to get the word out about it too in order to get the required signatures.

- Marty
Old 08-12-2001, 07:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
[i]
This final list is a strict compilation of the "concept videos" from 1979-1993 only.
Of course, Christine completely dominates this list, as more videos were filmed for her singles than any of the other band members.[list=1][*]Tusk[*]Hold Me[*]Gypsy[*]Big Love[*]Seven Wonders[*]Little Lies[*]Everywhere[*]As Long As You Follow[*]Save Me[*]Skies The Limit[*]In The Back Of My Mind[*]Paper Doll[*]Love Shines[/list=1]

Opinions?

Johnny Stew [/B]
Hey Johnny Stew - Don't forget the Family Man video, I think we could do without Isn't It Midnight as it is only a segment from the Tango Tour vid

http://stillgoinginsane.fleetwoodmac-uk.com
Still Going Insane - A Lindsey Buckingham Resource
Old 08-12-2001, 09:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default I wil go along with the majority..........

I would like to see the concept music videos mainly, but a few live performances would be OK, since that is the only way we would get certain songs like Sara and Rhiannon. As I said in the other forum, the "making of" and behind the scenes footage from the video sessions and interivews about the videos would be great, too. Those things were aired on MTV and VH1.
I would definitely buy it.
I WILL BUY WHATEVER THEY PUT OUT!!!
Old 08-12-2001, 12:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I thought I remembered seeing a video for Oh Diane as well that should be added to the list don't you think?? And I agree that Isn't it Midnight and Sara from the Tusk documentary should be left off just because it has already been released and would be released again if those concerts went on DVD. Rhiannon from the Midnight Special would be great though as that hasn't been officially released on anything yet Also if getting names might be a problem--could people that are going to some of Stevie's up coming concerts maybe leave some flyers around or something like that to get more signatures and get the word out?? Just a thought......

~Amy~
Old 08-12-2001, 01:05 PM
Junior Ledgie

I had no idea there were non-live clip videos for In The Back Of My Mind and Family Man. What were they like? And how could they have done a video for Family Man since Lindsey had already left?

~Brian
Old 08-12-2001, 01:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I know I, personally, would love to have a mix of concept videos and live clips.

And I know that there are a lot of fans of the Post-Rumors era, but would a lot of people be upset if they left off the Post-Rumours era videos (Save Me, Skies the Limit) in exchange for live footage of the Rumours era?

My thinking is that if we would want people OTHER than us die hard fans to buy the DVDs, too, the chances would probably be better if we stick with what was the most popular.

My list would be something like this:

Tusk
Gypsy
Hold Me
Big Love
Seven Wonders
Little Lies
Everywhere
and then 5 or 6 live songs, depending on what Marty finds out is in the Warners vault. Once I see THAT list, I'll definitely be able to make a more accurate choice

And like Marty even said, since this is the first time they've tried anything like this, and if it goes well, maybe we could do more, then why not start it out with something you know everyone will like? I say the first DVD should be "Rumours" era only, then if another one sould come along, throw in some of the other era's too. Just my opinion.

http://www.twitter.com/jtwill84
Old 08-12-2001, 01:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up THIS IS SO EXCITING!!

Heck, I'll buy it no matter what's on it, I trust his judgement for what the good stuff is, but I'd love for it to include all of the videos, including a Lindsey solo one (I haven't seen any so whichever is the best)!!
Thanks for doing this Marty!! Rock on!!
-Sonia
"So I close my eyes softly... till I become that part of the wind that we all long for sometimes. And to those that I love like a ghost through a fog, like a charmed hour and a haunted song, and the angel... of my dreams"

"All alone we suffer. Oh, to steal your heart away."