The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-07-2011, 09:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I need to go back to "Sleeping Around the Corner." I don't know why it didn't impact me as much as it did for others, but I will certainly give it another go.

However, I always feel like I'm the only one who loves the acoustic version of "End Of Time." But then, frankly speaking, I stan for that song so much that I would take any version.

"Reality leaves a lot to the imagination." ~ JL
Old 12-07-2011, 10:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by holidayroad View Post
I have to say that I don't completely understand the dislike so many fans have of UTS. I like it better than SWS or GOS.
For me, dislike would be too strong of a term. I do dislike Flying Down Juniper. Do not want I am Waiting there. Other than that, I like everything on it, some more than others and some I loved at the time and only like now. The album as a whole isn't a bad one for me. But putting them in order, something's got to rank at the bottom.

That album came out when it should have. If it debuted now after GoS and SWS, I'd throw rocks at it. But back when it was released, I had nothing but welcome, open arms and an eager ear.

Michele

Last edited by michelej1; 12-07-2011 at 10:55 PM..
Old 12-07-2011, 10:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
I need to go back to "Sleeping Around the Corner." I don't know why it didn't impact me as much as it did for others, but I will certainly give it another go.

However, I always feel like I'm the only one who loves the acoustic version of "End Of Time." But then, frankly speaking, I stan for that song so much that I would take any version.
I love SATC! It has a funky vibe.

And, the acoustic EOT is by far my favorite. I usually go for the acoustic versions of anything, not that I don't love the electric versions too. But, I especially love Lindsey's other acoustic takes like the Try for the Sun (hotel version), Castaway Dreams (doc version), Go Insane (Dance version) and Shut Us Down (Live At version).
Old 12-07-2011, 10:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
For me, dislike would be too strong of a term. I do dislike Flying Down Juniper. Do not want I am Waiting there.

Michele
Michele, when you say do not want IAW there -- does that mean you'd prefer it on another album or that you don't like it at all?
Old 12-07-2011, 11:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreaming View Post
especially love Lindsey's other acoustic takes like the Try for the Sun (hotel version), Castaway Dreams (doc version), Go Insane (Dance version) and Shut Us Down (Live At version).
what is that - i don't think i've heard it?! can you share? the only version i know is GOS CD-R version and UTS version and those 2 are pretty close.
Old 12-07-2011, 11:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
what is that - i don't think i've heard it?! can you share? the only version i know is GOS CD-R version and UTS version and those 2 are pretty close.
Sure, here you go Elle:

http://www.mediafire.com/?34yy6ro7p3c0mru

This was from the little promo tour videos he did for UTS tour.

What is the GOS CD-R?
Old 12-07-2011, 11:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Michele, when you say do not want IAW there -- does that mean you'd prefer it on another album or that you don't like it at all?
I guess I don't want it on an album at all. I just am happy with it as a "b" side.

Michele
Old 12-07-2011, 11:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Sure, here you go Elle:

http://www.mediafire.com/?34yy6ro7p3c0mru

This was from the little promo tour videos he did for UTS tour.

What is the GOS CD-R?
thanks!!

original GOS (2001). wasn't it supposedly bootlegged from the CD-R LB gave Warner?
Old 12-07-2011, 11:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
thanks!!

original GOS (2001). wasn't it supposedly bootlegged from the CD-R LB gave Warner?
I never knew where it came from, but I have it too.
Old 12-07-2011, 11:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I feel that all of Lindsey's albums are challenging in various ways. For me, they don't stick to me - meaning they're not imbedded in my mind. That's not to say I don't like them - I admire his talent and find his work interesting.

Certainly, Out of the Cradle was the only album that approached his most commericial appeal. But I also respect his off-beat leanings. Seed We Sow is an album that I need to listen to a bit more to appreciate. I only played it twice, shelved it and forgot about it.

Funny thing is, I despised Law and Order when it first came out. I was impressed that he played most of the instruments himself. But I guess I was expecting something more polished like Fleetwood Mac. Some of the songs seemed so wacked. I didn't get it.

But I listen to it now with different ears. It's actually one of my favorites. Why? Because, it's light-hearted, fun and doesn't take itself so seriously. His more recent albums have a more heavy, serious and highly personal introspective tone. Often I listen to music to lighten the emotional load, not add to it.
Old 12-08-2011, 01:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I actually still feel Seeds We Sow is the best of Lindsey's 21st Century albums. It takes the strongest aspects of both Under The Skin and Gift Of Screws and combines them together.

Under The Skin will probably always be my least favorite Lindsey album. It doesn't even deserve the moniker half baked, IMO... it's more like 1/4 baked. The end product is just so lifelessly unfinished sounding. It's kinda like a steaming pile of poo, with no heat.

I've never really thought a lot of Law And Order, either... but I view it more as a stepping off point for Lindsey himself anyway. He seems to be cautiously exploring his newfound personal freedom away from Fleetwood Mac, and doesn't really seem to know exactly what kind of statement he wants to make. The album has always come across to me as aimless and unfocused, yet it's also a snapshot of a moment in time.

As a work of art, I think Go Insane is utterly spunky and fantastic. It's just so divinely quirky and avant garde. Lindsey really let his left brain urges run untethered, and the end product is just so fun and honest.

Out Of The Cradle will always be Lindsey's masterpiece in my eyes. It's just such a gorgeously cohesive, well thought-out work. The instrumental & spoken intros, and the way the songs blend and flow into one another are just sonic whipped cream. As an album, I think it's probably better than anything Fleetwood Mac released with or without him, and it's one of my top 10 favorite albums of all time too.

Gift Of Screws is a nice reaction to Under The Skin... there's BASS! The songs all sound finished, and well executed. Still, as an entire work, I feel it's missing something... and I've never been able to pinpoint exactly what that is.

So there's my rambling rundown of my least fav and fav Lindsey works.
Old 12-08-2011, 08:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I wouldn't say this about any other Lindsey solo album, but Seeds We Sow sounds like a demo reel he's sent to Stevie, Mick, and John to pick and choose what should go on the next Mac album.

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

^Ha! That's funny. Stevie did say she wished he would have saved some of those for FM. And, since Lindsey was expecting to do a Mac album after the Unleashed tour, maybe he already has other tunes from a SWS batch he did set aside. If that's the case, I'll be very excited for a new Mac album, especially with Stevie's new creative energy and excitement.

Last edited by CADreaming; 12-08-2011 at 09:47 AM..
Old 12-08-2011, 11:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I'm new around here, is there anywhere I could find these tracks? I'd love to listen.

For me my favorite and least favorite Lindsey albums change periodically. Right now GI is my least favorite and it's a pretty close three way tie between UTS, GOS and SWS. SWS is probably a hair in the lead because I am in love with Rock Away Blind at the moment.
Old 12-08-2011, 12:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm just here to say that I love what Louie posted and feel almost identical about LB's albums- though I do t have quite as much malice for UTS. It has some beautiful songs on it, but there's a couple that are too muddled-sounding for my liking.

"Reality leaves a lot to the imagination." ~ JL