Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Present Band
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-25-2018, 05:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Setlist ideas

Based on what they’ve been doing and have done on this tour, here’s what I think the setlist should be.

Monday Morning
Say You Love Me
The Chain
Dreams
Everywhere
Black Magic Woman
I Got You
Rhiannon
Tell Me All The Things You Do
Gypsy
Isn’t It Midnight (rather have Think About Me)
Oh Well
Don’t Dream It’s Over
Landslide
World Turning
Little Lies
Hypnotized
Gold Dust Woman
You Make Loving Fun
Go Your Own Way
-
Free Fallin’
Don’t Stop
All Over Again

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 10-25-2018, 07:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
Based on what they’ve been doing and have done on this tour, here’s what I think the setlist should be.

Monday Morning
Say You Love Me
The Chain
Dreams
Everywhere
Black Magic Woman
I Got You
Rhiannon
Tell Me All The Things You Do
Gypsy
Isn’t It Midnight (rather have Think About Me)
Oh Well
Don’t Dream It’s Over
Landslide
World Turning
Little Lies
Hypnotized
Gold Dust Woman
You Make Loving Fun
Go Your Own Way
-
Free Fallin’
Don’t Stop
All Over Again

I never liked those 2 songs being 1 And 2 in so many old concerts including the official live album. Too blah to start a show. They both work well later in the set surrounded by other songs. I like Little Lies second a lot better then YMLF for sure. And YMLF fits way better towards the end of the set for sure. That you got right in my opinion.

He Will Burn You Down
Old 10-25-2018, 09:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
I never liked those 2 songs being 1 And 2 in so many old concerts including the official live album. Too blah to start a show. They both work well later in the set surrounded by other songs. I like Little Lies second a lot better then YMLF for sure. And YMLF fits way better towards the end of the set for sure. That you got right in my opinion.

I can’t see why Hypnotized was dropped that sounded so so good. I agree to drop Second Hand News. It’s either Monday Morning or Second Hand News...not both.
Old 10-25-2018, 10:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLY View Post
I can’t see why Hypnotized was dropped that sounded so so good. I agree to drop Second Hand News. It’s either Monday Morning or Second Hand News...not both.
Completely agree. One or the other, not both, even if Lindsey was still in the band! Especially not at the expense of Hypnotized!

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 10-26-2018, 11:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Hypnotized was a highlight. I wonder whose bright idea it was to drop it?

I can see dropping Storms for Gypsy, but why Hypnotized? It's a well known song on FM radio and a nice way to acknowledge Bob Welch.

It's a head scratcher for sure.

I have changed, but you remain ageless
Old 10-26-2018, 03:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I hate that Hypnotized has been dropped. They could have at least replaced it with another song, maybe Sentimental Lady. Oh well.

I have another set list question, though, and I hope it's ok to ask on this thread: Fleetwood Mac said they had narrowed the set list down to 36 songs, and then from 36, down to 24. Any guesses as to what the 12 songs were that almost made the cut?

Gypsy- obviously, since it replaced Storms, plus they performed it on Ellen, so it was clearly a finalist right up until the last minute.

Man of the World- Neil and Mike performed it at Neil's concert a few months before the tour.

As Long As You Follow- I have to think of All Over Again made the set list, they had to have considered this song, especially for a set closer.

Crystal- a classic FM deep cut written by Stevie. Frankly, I am a little surprised this song didn't make it. Neil would have done a great job on this.

I Don't Want to Know- I suspect I Got You was chosen over this song. They are similar.

Angel- a deep cut I thought Stevie would do because it's upbeat and bouncy.

Brown Eyes- so moody, so mysterious, and I think Christine likes this song a lot.

What other songs do you think?
Old 10-26-2018, 03:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLY View Post
In all the clips I've seen there appear to be people walking in front of the camera. I don't know whether this suggests Hypnotized was a big loo break opportunity. Perhaps somebody could clarify. I guess its quite off-putting to play a song and see big trails of people leaving the arena- maybe they just wanted to disperse the loo breaks amongst other numbers. I agree its sad they didn't replace this with a different song- especially as they'd considered so many and obviously rehearsed so many.

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 10-26-2018, 04:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

The band clearly got the vibe the audience was bored and did not get any positive feedback from Storms and Hypnotized. Those songs are deep cuts that hardcore fans appreciate. What makes me laugh is instead of one less Crowded House song, they axe a Fleetwood Mac song. I liked the original set list and it surprised me. With the changes, the set list is average at best. I think Second Hand News and Monday Morning sound like bar bands. Finn is very wooden and I am not thrilled about the songs live.
Old 10-26-2018, 04:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
The band clearly got the vibe the audience was bored and did not get any positive feedback from Storms and Hypnotized. Those songs are deep cuts that hardcore fans appreciate. What makes me laugh is instead of one less Crowded House song, they axe a Fleetwood Mac song. I liked the original set list and it surprised me. With the changes, the set list is average at best. I think Second Hand News and Monday Morning sound like bar bands. Finn is very wooden and I am not thrilled about the songs live.
Go Your Own Way is also pretty blah. Yeah, I believe the key is back to normal (I HATE how Lindsey plays it since Unleashed) but it just sounds like any other generic cover of the song that you can find anywhere. Finn’s vocals just don’t suit the song at all and I’m not even keen on Campbell’s attempt at the solo. It’s not bad it’s just very cover band. Neil and Stevie singing to each other on the second verse is simply laughable.
Old 11-09-2018, 10:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
In all the clips I've seen there appear to be people walking in front of the camera. I don't know whether this suggests Hypnotized was a big loo break opportunity.
At these enormous arena shows with 20,000 people, I believe that even fabulous songs can be boring. Does Hypnotized really bore people because it's a very old album radio staple, or does it just require them to be kind of quiet and thoughtful and enjoy the misty mental journey for ten minutes—something that nobody can due in that chaotic, assaultive setting? How can anyone—even a big fan of the song—enjoy it while 20,000 people are yelling and screaming and walking in and out and chatting with their friends and all of that noise is bouncing off the arena walls and there is NO quietly powerful magic at all? It isn't that the song is boring: it's disconcerting, it doesn't complement the environment.

I think that's why great songs like Hypnotized and Storms get dropped: the environment, not any intrinsic blah-ness they might have for people who have never heard them. You just can't easily do certain material at an arena rock concert. I said in another post about a month ago that Lindsey's being in theaters is a clear advantage, not for his pocketbook, obviously, but for his choice of music and the emotional dynamics he wants to create. In a theater, you can go hushed, you can take a lengthy narrative journey, and you can go balls-to-the-wall loud. In an arena, you can only do the latter, for the most part (unless you're a Springsteen, and as Dennis Hunt once said about the members of Fleetwood Mac: "Rock's premiere showmen are under no threat from anyone in this band"). The exceptions to the rule are few and they generally involve a sing-a-long, as with Landslide and Don't Dream It's Over—the stuff that people sing in the shower.

If Fleetwood Mac really wants to go for the most amazing, diverse sets, they'd better play more intimate shows. And if they really cared about playing such sets, they'd play different venues part of the time. Why must EVERY stop on a four-month tour be 20,000 screaming people? Why not play a string of Wilterns along the way—and film them AND do Storms and Hypnotized and Man of the World and all the stuff they got so excited about in rehearsal? Isn't that what the Heartbreakers did in San Francisco on a big tour once?

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 11-10-2018, 12:07 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
At these enormous arena shows with 20,000 people, I believe that even fabulous songs can be boring. Does Hypnotized really bore people because it's a very old album radio staple, or does it just require them to be kind of quiet and thoughtful and enjoy the misty mental journey for ten minutes—something that nobody can due in that chaotic, assaultive setting? How can anyone—even a big fan of the song—enjoy it while 20,000 people are yelling and screaming and walking in and out and chatting with their friends and all of that noise is bouncing off the arena walls and there is NO quietly powerful magic at all? It isn't that the song is boring: it's disconcerting, it doesn't complement the environment.
Interesting. That’s an angle I never considered.

It would be nice to have a Welch song in the set, but maybe not THAT one. Lay It All Down or Miles Away would make for good arena rock, and Sentimental Lady might work since it became a huge hit that everybody knows.

THE Stephen Hopkins