User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-07-2006, 12:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD
What about Leona Boyd? Wes Montgomery? Charlie Christian?
All a bunch of pussies.

Christopher Parkening RAWKS!!!!

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 03-07-2006, 12:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Let's see, Lindsey publicly disparages the then current lineup of Fleetwood Mac, but it was Fleetwood Mac themselves actually being a working, thriving band that was "dragging the name to the ground"??? ...what a pompous asshole.
Fleetwood Mac with Burnette and Vito were a damn good band and it seems from what I have heard of Vito's playing in recent months that he was stifled in the band. It's easy to sit and throw stones at something. Mick and John needed a band to work, they have always gone on with the band no matter who left. The only time I saw Fleetwood Mac as selling out was with Dave Mason, not his fault but he never should have been there.

Lindsey didn't need to work. He could afford to sit in his garage going over one song a thousand times to get it right without worry. Mick and John didn't have that luxury.

Quote:
Chime in, Justin...please
I originally thought the same thing about two guitarist to replace one but it's just not the case. Now you have Fleetwood Mac with three (four if you count Brett Tuggle) guitarists on stage at once.. So if Lindsey thought it took two to replace him then, he should realise it takes two more to support him now... He can be very contradictory.
Old 03-07-2006, 12:27 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Peter Green was more rooted in the blues than most of the other "star" players of the time. Peter also had a great feeling. This is what differentiates players such as EC, Green and company from others, including Lindsey. If you have a feeling for the music then you can improvise without fail. Peter used to be the most classic example of this and today Clapton is. If you get thrown into a situation where you essentially need to jam then this separates the men from the boys. The Crossroads guitar festival from a couple of years back was a good example of this. You had Clapton, BB King, Buddy Guy and Jimmie Vaughan all bouncing notes of each other. Put a group of men like these guys together and they can improvise all night without dropping a bum note. If you think Lindsey can you need to take a closer look at his work. I think one of the most recent examples was Murrow from his Soundstage performance whn instead of coming up with a nice little solo he stuck half of "I'm So Afraid" in there instead...
I think Lindsey not being able to improvise so much is due to his lack of theory.

On a U2 video I own there the song with BB king I find hilarious at the start when he says something like “I’m horrible with chords. Please don’t let me pay chords” I couldn’t tell if he was being serious are not. He’s an incredible payer a real icon and a great character is BB king but he truly shines when he’s playing his blues. Similarly Lindsey shines when he is playing his Travis picking. You can argue all day who’s better than who but the styles are so different it’s hard to compare.

I think Lindsey is a lot better than some people on here are making him out to be. He is certainly technically better than McCartney, better artistically and original than Rick friggin Vito etc etc.

Quote:
It's good that you listen to other guitarists and that you have found, in Lindsey, someone you can identify with. But, If you look at Lindsey's own influences you will see they are many. You can't grow as a player if you are channelled. It's a bit like religion, if you only believe what one faith says then you can become somewhat blinkered.
I have my own influences and I’m no hugely into Lindsey’s (I do love the beach boys and Kingston trio though) It is defiantly good to open up and take influences from all genres. Which is basically what I was trying to get across before. I have heard so many Hendrix/slash wannabes it sends me to sleep. People don’t realise that there are many more great guitar players out there but just because they don’t solo really loud doesn’t make them lesser.
Old 03-07-2006, 12:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by madformac
In my opinion Eric Clapton is the greatest guitarist of all time.
What about Christopher Parkening?

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 03-07-2006, 12:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I do give Lindsey credit for not sticking to the same formula through the years but as I pointed out in another thread, you can't be as experimental as he has been and expect to be popular too....
Lindsey? Experimental? Ok, he did one quasi-"experimental" album in 1979 and now he's tagged with that forever? No, he's NOT "experimental". He came up with "a sound" 25-30 years ago and he's been re-writing those four songs ever since.

Quote:
I originally thought the same thing about two guitarist to replace one but it's just not the case. Now you have Fleetwood Mac with three (four if you count Brett Tuggle) guitarists on stage at once.. So if Lindsey thought it took two to replace him then, he should realise it takes two more to support him now... He can be very contradictory.
Let's not forget that Lindsey NEEDED four ADDITIONAL guitarists for his solo band. And he was mocking Fleetwood Mac for adding TWO after he left? The guy's a f***ing nut-job.

Last edited by chiliD; 03-07-2006 at 12:35 PM..
Old 03-07-2006, 12:33 PM
chiliD
This message has been deleted by chiliD.
Old 03-07-2006, 12:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
What about Christopher Parkening?

He doesn't play blues, he's no good.

Old 03-07-2006, 12:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
The only time I saw Fleetwood Mac as selling out was with Dave Mason, not his fault but he never should have been there.
He was incredibly bad at Konocti Harbor Spa & Resort FM concerts in 1994 & 1995. Boredom was written all over his face. In addition (or subtraction), his contributions to "Time" were a mix of yogurt & milk.

Bekka was sexy, though. And Billy I have always found winning -- he is self-depreciating & low-key (except when he hams up the vocal on "Oh Well," which is deplorable -- there is no emotional connection to the drive & the animus of the song; it's only grandstanding). The other cool thing about Billy, something that informs his personality from top to bottom, is that of all the people who joined the band in later years, he was the one who had by far the most love & respect for the group in all its incarnations: Green, Kirwan, Welch, Buckingham, Nicks, McVie ... he loved them all.

It was fun seeing the pre-Time band play live because it was so totally antithetical to the Mac Machine atmosphere of the previous twenty years, & I have always wanted Fleetwood Mac to move in the direction of being a little band again, playing supper clubs & little outdoor festivals in the Sierra Nevada foothills. It's a childhood-stirred comfort to me.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 03-07-2006, 12:39 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Considering "Say You Will" was once again a Lindsey Buckingham solo album that he shared half of with Stevie and slapped the Fleetwood Mac label on it, then, yeah, its a big "duh" that he was the "backbone"...he was also the brain, the bowels & lymph glands of it, too. But, to call it a Fleetwood Mac album? ****, give me 100 more Time albums.
As said on DR John has been more present on that album than any other. Mick drummed on all the songs.

Yes it was going to be a solo project and the songs where wrote for a solo project but Mick was present durring the early stages of this solo project. So if it's not a Fleetwood Mac album then what is? Certainly not the time (see below)

Quote:
Lindsey didn't need to work. He could afford to sit in his garage going over one song a thousand times to get it right without worry. Mick and John didn't have that luxury.
The band was continuing because of Mick's debt? how can albums that came out durring this period have more "Fleetwood Mac album" status than Say you will? The abnd where continuing palying Rumours songs onstage without a key member who contributed and wrote a lot of the songs. Fleetwood Mac then where a selfish money making band. The albums where not "fleetwood Mac albums" if we use your logic.

This is the key difference between Fleetwood Mac today with Lindsey present to The Fleetwood Mac then. Just my opinion off course.
Old 03-07-2006, 12:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
He doesn't play blues, he's no good.

You're like my pal Brian Danks. You ol' blues-heads, you! (Actually, Brian is also a jazz-head)

Hey, let's go to the two-day jazz festival at the Hollywood Bowl!! Actually, I want to go just the second day---McCoy Tyner to play!!! Brian will freak out. C'mon Steve let's go!!!

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 03-07-2006, 12:40 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
Did John also use all his money..? I think John just like playing and just kept doing so..

Quote:
He came up with "a sound" 25-30 years ago and he's been re-writing those four songs ever since.
Hell, everybody does that..

Bob Dylan: "I've only written four songs in my whole life, but I've written those four songs a million times."
Old 03-07-2006, 12:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBanks147
I think Lindsey not being able to improvise so much is due to his lack of theory.
BS! It has nothing to do with "theory". It's his "disorder"...his OCD. He'd have to be locked away with a straight jacket in 5 minutes if he were to "sit-in" with either the Allman Bros or Grateful Dead. He's boxed himself into a little "comfort zone" that he'd just breakdown into a puddle of slobbering goo if he got outside of. Lindsey an "experimental guitarist"? HA! That's a myth!

Quote:
I think Lindsey is a lot better than some people on here are making him out to be. He is certainly technically better than McCartney, better artistically and original than Rick friggin Vito etc etc.
Tripe like this isn't worth further comment.
Old 03-07-2006, 12:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I don't agree with that sentiment. Eric never learned theory or did Slash and David Gilmour has only started reading music in the last 3 years...

I believe I can jam with the best of them, I really do, certainly in a blues environment. I'm not big headed or even a great technical player but I have the ear, the timing and the emotion to do it. I don't know any theory, I can't read music and I don't really want to, I'm not even great with chords. Noel Gallagher said recently that playing a guitar is like being an artist, you can't teach it, you either have it or you don't. it's in the feeling, the way you play a note.

Music theory can give you great discipline and understanding but it also stops you from being original. I think this is more the case with Lindsey, as it is with EC and Gilmour too. They had to figure it out and experiment by themselves. They played along to the records of their heros and adapted it to fit how they played. A music teacher cannot give you the feeling. I think maybe some theory and a little lack of discipline too is a good balance.
Old 03-07-2006, 12:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Hey, this thread is hopping!

Now THIS is what a message board is supposed to be!!

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 03-07-2006, 12:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I believe I can jam with the best of them, I really do, certainly in a blues environment. I'm not big headed or even a great technical player but I have the ear, the timing and the emotion to do it. I don't know any theory, I can't read music and I don't really want to, I'm not even great with chords. Noel Gallagher said recently that playing a guitar is like being an artist, you can't teach it, you either have it or you don't. it's in the feeling, the way you play a note.
I'm the opposite of you. I am all about theory, reading staff notation, etc., but I have absolutely no style & no emotion of my own.
Quote:
Music theory can give you great discipline and understanding but it also stops you from being original.
I don't think this is true at all. The only people who say this (& they say this a lot, like Lindsey saying it about Javier Pacheco) are the people who don't happen to have a theory background or who don't read notation. I doubt that anyone with theory & reading ability has ever said anything like this, so that is an indication right there that the opinion is an extremely one-sided one. But it also just doesn't hold water when you look at the musicians & composers who do have such a background. Beethoven read notation for every instrument in the orchestra, wrote notation for every instrument in the orchestra, & was thoroughly grounded in the music theory of the era, including harmony, counterpoint, fugue, subjects, countersubjects, melodic elaboration, chorale, fragmentation, structural functions, inversions, Viennese Classical development, Baroque development, orative, non-orative, all aspects of polyphony & homophony, motives, supermotives, submotives, & on & on & on to practically infinity.

Beethoven had no trouble whatsoever being original.

Knowledge -- whether it be scientific knowledge, musical knowledge or moral knowledge -- opens doors, not shuts them.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 03-07-2006, 12:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
Hey, this thread is hopping!

Now THIS is what a message board is supposed to be!!
I quite agree David... This is the best thread, from a musical point of view, i've read for ages.