Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-20-2008, 12:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
It's a good thing I didn't join Fleetwood Mac."[/B]

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/5156420c-5...077b07658.html
Oh, this is too funny. Does he mean that he adapts to the look of his band mates like a chameleon and if he'd been in FM, he'd look like Stevie? So hilarious! Also funny because actually in some pictures people do see a resemblance between Lindsey and Keith Richards these days.

Michele
Old 07-22-2008, 09:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Indeed, Henley made the most of his first six decades: he recorded five solo albums, won numerous Grammy and Juno awards, dated sexy rock stars (hello, Stevie Nicks!) and married a fashion model.

http://www.thestar.com/entertainment...article/463930
Old 07-22-2008, 10:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

^^^ Weird. Today is Henley's 61st b-day. I'm listening to a coffee break concert on the radio right now, as I just read that.

Life in the fast lane....
Old 07-22-2008, 06:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The Onion did this piece on Steven Tyler being laid off, but some of the excerpts reminded me of a band a little bit closer to home:

"Analysts speculate that the sector-wide lay-off was a result of multiple factors, including redundancies in the singing-songwriting division, rising rehab fees that have cost the group millions, and a 34% decline in jumpkicks since 2003. In addition, some of Aerosmith's younger, more ambitious employees, such as Joe Perry, 57, are willing to sing and play an instrument at the same time, often for half the salary [well, no one in FM is willing to take half the salary!].

Tying a scarf to a microphone stand is unfortunately no longer a marketable skill.

Aerosmith, whose unemployment rate has held steady at 0 percent since the start-up rock outfit went public in 1970, recently underwent a paradigm shift away from what many deemed an antiquated business model. In the early 2000s, Aerosmith stopped manufacturing hits and instead began to focus primarily on repackaging and reistributing its existing product.

Tyler is not the only one in the industry to be affected by the recent recession. In January, Bad Company was outsourced to China, and just last week, Don Henley of the Eagles was replaced by a drum machine.
Old 07-22-2008, 11:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Denver Post - Denver,CO,USA
The most famous rock couples are the ones who very publicly implode, such as Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham, or Ike and Tina Turner. ...
Old 07-23-2008, 02:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Blogger lists some of his most memorable concert experiences:

http://mog.com/Dale/blog_post/173881

Wondering what was up with Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks during their performance of "Go Your Own Way" and then reading about their ended relationship later in Rolling Stone. That was probably the most intense performance of a song in concert that I ever witnessed.

I should mention that I was merely five or six feet away from Lindsey and Stevie during that Fleetwood Mac tour for "Rumours".
Old 07-24-2008, 01:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Fleetwood Mac, Take Me Away...
By Jim DeRosa
I needed this (Fleetwood Mac's World Turning from the famous Midnight Special concert, 1977) and a 12 Year Old Jameson Irish Whiskey. Rough day.

http://derosaworld.typepad.com/derosaworld/
Old 07-24-2008, 01:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Sarah Buxton

“People say, ‘You’re a country singer.’ And, yeah, I’m a country singer, but I didn’t grow up listening to country music. My first music experience was in the Lawrence Children’s Choir. I played handbells in the Plymouth Congregational Church. That was about it for me.

“But when I was a teenager and arguing with my parents and trying to figure out how I fit in, I started writing poetry and I discovered Stevie Nicks. When I think back, my English classes in the Lawrence school district is where I learned how to write and express myself. The schools in Tennessee don’t have what the schools had in Lawrence. They gave me a lot of drive and taught me how to achieve.”

http://www.kansascity.com/entertainm...ry/715870.html
Old 07-24-2008, 02:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default John Mellencamp - Life, Death, Love & Freedom review

One guest artist back for round two is Karen Fairchild from Little Big Town. For those who don’t know, Little Big Town is somewhat of a countrified version of Fleetwood Mac with Karen being the “Stevie Nicks” of the band (and that’s meant as a compliment). LBT was sprinkled generously throughout Mellencamp’s Freedom’s Road album to great effect. Here, because of the more stripped down approach, he has chosen to utilize Karen’s voice to harmonize and duet with him, much in the way Springsteen/Scialfa, Young/Ronstadt, Knopfler/Harris and Buckingham/Nicks have before them. It all adds up to an unexpected but interesting combination that deserves at least a couple of spins to appreciate the depth of what is being created here.

Speaking of depth, this is the first album to be released under the new audio format CODE. Developed by T Bone and readied in time for the launch of this record, CODE claims that it “creates high-definition audio that is virtually indistinguishable from the original master tapes”.

http://www.411mania.com/music/album_...dom-review.htm

Last edited by vivfox; 07-24-2008 at 02:02 AM.. Reason: redbone
Old 07-24-2008, 02:04 AM
Addicted Ledgie

SHERYL CROW has been kicked out of FLEETWOOD MAC before her career with the supergroup even began.
The rocker was invited to join the group by guitarist Lindsey Buckingham, and spoke openly about the thrill of singing alongside Stevie Nicks - but now Crow won't be a part of the Don't Stop hitmakers' 2009 tour plans.
Buckingham, who confirms Crow did meet with the members of Fleetwood MAC to discuss the possibility of touring with them, says the matter "kinda got out of hand," telling Billboard.com the idea "just kind of lost its momentum".

http://www.contactmusic.com/news.nsf...dashed_1075213
Old 07-24-2008, 02:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie

"Wild as Them" - Liz Durrett
Liz Durrett returns to Fingertips with an immediately engaging, slightly off-kilter piece of gently chugging pop, like some lost Fleetwood Mac hit funneled through the Twilight Zone. The lyrics are elusive and strange--"I look for your bones in the woods" is surely one of the more arresting opening lines of recent days (although she may be saying "words"; and it's still odd). The music is comforting melodically--rolling along without a chorus, featuring a blues-like repetition of each opening refrain--but a touch unhinged instrumentally: guitars squeak, horns gather in increasing multitudes, and some other sounds I can't quite put my finger on fill in along the way.
Accentuating the F-Mac-ishness is the way Durrett's mellow alto brings Christine McVie to mind, although somewhat imprecisely. McVie sings with a smoky clarity that Durrett avoids; her voice, although doubletracked, is mixed down a bit. We know she's singing but the words often elude recognition, adding to the tune's inscrutable aura.

http://www.fingertipsmusic.com/this_...ds.htm#Durrett
Old 07-24-2008, 12:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
Buckingham, who confirms Crow did meet with the members of Fleetwood MAC to discuss the possibility of touring with them, says the matter "kinda got out of hand," telling Billboard.com the idea "just kind of lost its momentum".
Those are different quotes than we've seen before. Interesting.

Michele
Old 07-24-2008, 10:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The living is a good one: Their home and work studios occupy 6,000 square feet above the ocean in Malibu. And judging from the response at her art shows and her MySpace site, Olivia says, women are a big part of her fan base.

She can't remember a time when she did not draw women. Girlhood inspiration came from the Playboys her father, an aeronautical engineer, would leave around the house, and from her mother, whose larger-than-life personality, yen for fantasy and lack of inhibition included a fondness for trying to impersonate Greta Garbo, Marlene Dietrich and Katharine Hepburn. Her mother also had a penchant for prancing through the house undressed if no visitors were around.

Olivia says the extroversion genes apparently bypassed her. One reason she paints fabulously sexy women is to vicariously inhabit their bodies and their attitudes. "I just never found my way to be that free. I can fantasize on paper about running around in a sheer outfit, which I can't do myself."

After being schooled by nuns in Elizabeth, N.J., Olivia landed in Manhattan in 1967 -- a waiflike beauty whose photo from the early 1970s reveals a dark-haired, platform-boot-wearing approximation of Stevie Nicks, pre-Stevie Nicks. She enrolled at the School of Visual Arts, figuring she'd become an illustrator for fashion magazines. Instead she delved into minimalism and produced textured, all-white canvases.

Along the way, Olivia says, she became "just really lost" in a whirl of alcohol, artistic aimlessness and abusive boyfriends.

Then, in a reversal she says still mystifies her, she took control and became her own woman. No more booze, no more bozos.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...,5259169.story
Old 07-24-2008, 10:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

23 July 2008 — Stevie Nicks Day (0)
All afternoon, I’ve been listening to the same song: “Stand Back” by Stevie Nicks. This was a modest hit when I was a freshman in high school. I had the LP and loved it. Some genius (and I mean this in literally) recently thought to remix the song into a nearly-twelve minute version called the “Tracy Takes You Home Mix”. I have no idea where I got it (iTunes?), but it’s awesome. I’ve been listening to it all day, over and over and over again.

“Stand back, stand back, in the middle of my room, I did not hear from you…”

The Wild Heart is a great album, by the way. Several of the songs are just awesome: “Stand Back”, “If Anyone Falls”, “Wild Heart”, “I Will Run to You”, and “Beauty and the Beast” — the latter of which is the perfect love song for geeky young men and women from the mid-eighties.

http://www.foldedspace.org/category/blog/music/
Old 07-29-2008, 11:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie

My would-be lover has been selected to join the cast of Saturday Night Live. I am in the back row of the theater where she and the rest of the cast are rehearsing for the upcoming show. In one skit, my would-be lover is supposed to play the role of one of the women from Fleetwood Mac. However, nobody can remember the musician's name. I tell some of the stage hands that I can look it up on Google. I do a Wikipedia search for Fleetwood Mac but only come up with long lists of musicians who have appeared with the band at some point during their careers. I never find the name of the right musician. (Author's Note: After waking up from the dream, I realized the name I was looking for was Christine McVie, and I found this out by doing an actual search on Wikipedia.)

http://strategicfailure.blogspot.com...n-theater.html

Does anyone else read these nuggetts besides Michele and I???