The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
View Poll Results: What album has the best track order?
Fleetwood Mac 1975 7 13.46%
Rumours 26 50.00%
Tusk 7 13.46%
Live 1 1.92%
Mirage 4 7.69%
Tango in the Night 4 7.69%
The Dance 2 3.85%
Say you will 1 1.92%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-14-2013, 07:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Your favorite album track order

I think we have talked about good songs order but not in a poll. What is your favorite track order in an album, the best organized..

I'm including live albums but not greatest hits, all from the Rumours lineup except SYW

Last edited by Villavic; 01-14-2013 at 07:28 PM..
Old 01-14-2013, 07:30 PM
Senior Ledgie

Rumours definitely, all the stories in the songs, they're all good but rumours just shines brighter.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Rumours, in it's original format at least.

It's weird on CD because it goes from Songbird to The Chain and it feels kind of disconnected. But on vinyl where you have to flip to the other side, it totally works.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildHearted View Post
Rumours, in it's original format at least.

It's weird on CD because it goes from Songbird to The Chain and it feels kind of disconnected. But on vinyl where you have to flip to the other side, it totally works.
This is perhaps the only thread I will ever vote for Rumours.

Interestingly enough....somewhere in the early 90's I had bought a double cassette with Rumours and FM (75) combined.
The track listing had IDWK and SHN reversed and I thought this was the original running order. It actually worked (if one was none the wiser) I think it still works, either way.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FierySequences View Post
Interestingly enough....somewhere in the early 90's I had bought a double cassette with Rumours and FM (75) combined.
The track listing had IDWK and SHN reversed and I thought this was the original running order. It actually worked (if one was none the wiser) I think it still works, either way.
I bought the combined cassette in 1988 but the track listing is correct. Weird to hear there was a release with a mistaken order.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post
I bought the combined cassette in 1988 but the track listing is correct. Weird to hear there was a release with a mistaken order.
hmm, now that you mention it...it may not have been the dbl album I bought. But I know at some point I had a version with IDWK as the lead track.

will have to look to see if I still have it, fingers crossed it is a collector's item (but I doubt it)
Old 01-14-2013, 10:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I am probably the only one in the world who thinks the Rumours sequencing isn't so great. I realize it was sequenced as an LP with 2 sides, and that's why it doesn't transfer to the digital age so well. That being said, Songbird being in the middle of the album (but on the end of an LP side) just crashes the momentum and puts me to sleep. It should have been the song to close out Rumours.

I adore the quirky tracking order of Tusk, but the stark transition from Sara to What Makes You Think You're The One just kills it for me. It's too violent, and crashes the dreamy revery Sara puts you into.

The White Album ('75) is perfectly sequenced. But the whole package is almost too perfect to the point of being middle of the road & dull. There's no grit.

Lindsey's material on Mirage is too subpar to make the cut.

Say You Will has a glut of material for it to win.

My ideal tracking order for the Rumours era goes to Tango. The flow is great, the energy is kept up, rockers are paired with the more contemplative songs flawlessly, and the album begins & ends perfectly. There is a continuity between the 3 songwriters that isn't really present on any of the other Rumours albums, yet each artist shines individually. When I go on road trips with friends, Tango is usually the only Mac album I bring along for the drive, and that's because it's sequenced so well.

Last edited by louielouie2000; 01-14-2013 at 10:32 PM..
Old 01-14-2013, 10:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
I am probably the only one in the world who thinks the Rumours sequencing isn't so great. I realize it was sequenced as an LP with 2 sides, and that's why it doesn't transfer to the digital age so well. That being said, Songbird being in the middle of the album (but on the end of an LP side) just crashes the momentum and puts me to sleep. It should have been the song to close out Rumours.

I adore the quirky tracking order of Tusk, but the stark transition from Sara to What Makes You Think You're The One just kills it for me. It's too violent, and crashes the dreamy revery Sara puts you into.
While I get what you're saying about Songbird (it does seem like an album-closing type of song), I just can't imagine Rumours ending with anything other than GDW which, in a completely different way, is also a perfect closer.

The transition from Sara to WMYTYTO is also less of a problem when you're flipping over a vinyl record, but even with that said I don't think it's a very well-sequenced album. I don't like "Over and Over" as an opener, and I don't like how long you wait for the next Christine song.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Listening to Tusk is like surfing waves of bliss.

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith77 View Post
Listening to Tusk is like surfing waves of bliss.
When I listen Rumours is like driving along the shore watching the sunset...
Old 01-15-2013, 08:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm voting for Rumours as the sequencing is part of what makes the album a full listen, even for non-fans. I've heard it back in the day played in its entirety at parties and it works. I can't imagine it in any different order. Tusk is also great but I agree with a previous poster that we have to wait to long to hear Christine again after Think About Me. Tango is also sequenced well but Stevie is so out of her groove that it clunks at her 3 meagre tracks.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I wanted to vote for side four of Tusk but the title track destroys the lullaby feelings for me. I love the song Tusk but wish that spot was reserved for Brown Eyes.

I voted for the white album because every song flows perfectly into the next without making me want to skip a song.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:21 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FierySequences View Post
hmm, now that you mention it...it may not have been the dbl album I bought. But I know at some point I had a version with IDWK as the lead track.

will have to look to see if I still have it, fingers crossed it is a collector's item (but I doubt it)
You are not mistaken. I have a cassette with White album and Rumours. I have also have one of just Rumours. Both cassettes have IDWTK as the lead song in Rumours and have SHN after You Make Loving Fun.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I never understood why Lindsey didn't have any of his songs on side 2 of Rumours.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
My ideal tracking order for the Rumours era goes to Tango. The flow is great, the energy is kept up, rockers are paired with the more contemplative songs flawlessly, and the album begins & ends perfectly. There is a continuity between the 3 songwriters that isn't really present on any of the other Rumours albums, yet each artist shines individually. When I go on road trips with friends, Tango is usually the only Mac album I bring along for the drive, and that's because it's sequenced so well.
Birds of a feather...

But really, I picked Tango as well. It didn't even require any thought. It's perfect in it's sequence - and I don't feel any of the other albums are.
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case