User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-18-2017, 01:32 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamsunwind View Post
You may have a point about her own RAL tour but she did essentially ditch them to unnecessarily tag along with Tom Petty and Bob Dylan. If one of my coworkers did that when we were supposed to be working on something I'd have been reaaaaaally annoyed.
in her case ,they are not her coworker , they are her employees
Old 02-18-2017, 02:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamsunwind View Post
You may have a point about her own RAL tour but she did essentially ditch them to unnecessarily tag along with Tom Petty and Bob Dylan. If one of my coworkers did that when we were supposed to be working on something I'd have been reaaaaaally annoyed.
I agree 100% with you about AFTER her RAL tour. The band had every right to be annoyed with her then, but not before. And Lindsey pretty much implied that was how they felt.
Old 02-18-2017, 02:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
I agree 100% with you about AFTER her RAL tour. The band had every right to be annoyed with her then, but not before. And Lindsey pretty much implied that was how they felt.
looks like y'all are talking about 2 different things: people are talking about Stevie abandoning her band (SN band) that she was supposed to rehearse with for RAL tour and instead she went to Australia where she was trying to sing with Petty but didn't have appropriate papers to work/perform there so was deported back after a few dates (or something like that).

you seem to be talking about Fleetwood Mac and Tango.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 02-18-2017, 02:47 PM

I think we're mixing facts with assumptions.

Stevie was in Australia with Tom Petty and Bob Dylan in the early February 1986, not March; she got repatriated after having done just two dates, precisely the 11th and 12th, because she didn't have a working permit.
This fits with her story about being called by her management while she was touring with Tom and Bob Dylan and they told her to come back because her single I can't wait, that had been released in the US in February 1986, was becoming a hit and she also had to resolve their disagreement with Letterman.

Also I've seen that I can't wait was released in Australia earlier than other countries, precisely in December 1985 and it first charted there the 13th January 1986, and peaked at 20 in February hence during her short tour with Tom Petty and Bob Dylan. This was for once a good promotional decision taken by Stevie.

So she went back to the US from mid to late February and it was way before the start of her own tour in early April, so she had plenty of time to rehearse. Even if she hadn't been repatriated, Tom and Bob Dylan's Australian tour she had agreed to attend would have ended the 1st of March so she still had time.

Also we know that her first demos for what would have become Tango were dated early March, I mentioned Joan of Arc on another thread. Since she said she was available at the very beginning this was probably the time when she popped up in the studio, and then went on to prepare for her tour. Also probably her visit was so brief that it's not being mentioned in the interview.

What Lindsey is probably referring to in the interview I posted isn't the tour with Tom and Bob Dylan, but the Australian leg that she added later at the end of her Rock a Little Tour during the September of 1986, which she probably did because her album was having the most success right there in Australia.

Last edited by SisterNightroad; 02-18-2017 at 03:39 PM..
Old 02-18-2017, 03:01 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterNightroad View Post
I think we're mixing facts with assumptions.
Stevie was in Australia with Tom Petty and Bob Dylan in the early February 1986, not March; she got repatriated after having done just two dates, precisely the 11th and 12th, because she didn't have a working permit.
This fits with her story about being called by her management while she was touring with Tom and Bob Dylan and they told her to come back because her single I can't wait, that had been released in the US in February 1986, was becoming a hit and she also had to resolve their disagreement with Letterman.

Also I've seen that I can't wait was released in Australia earlier than other countries, precisely in December 1985 and it first charted there the 13th January 1986, and peaked at 20 in February hence during her short tour with Tom Petty and Bob Dylan. This was for once a good promotional decision taken by Stevie.

So she went back to the US from mid to late February and it was way before the start of her own tour in early April, so she had plenty of time to rehearse. Even if she hadn't been repatriated, Tom and Bob Dylan's Australian tour she had agreed to attend would have ended the 1st of March so she still had time.

Also we know that her first demos for what would have become Tango were dated early March, I mentioned Joan of Arc on another thread. Since she said she was available at the very beginning this was probably the time when she popped up in the studio, and then went on to prepare for her tour. Also proably her visit was so brief that it's not being mentioned in the interview.

What Lindsey is probably referring to in the interview I posted isn't the tour with Tom and Bob Dylan, but the Australian leg that she added later at the end of her Rock a Little Tour during the September of 1986, which she probably did because there her album was having the most success in Australia.
This is exactly what I said yesterday. It's pretty clear 1986 was a very crazy year for Stevie. And I guess it was the end of an era in a way. Afterwards, it was head on into Klonopin-town!
Old 02-18-2017, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svnwndrs View Post
This is exactly what I said yesterday. It's pretty clear 1986 was a very crazy year for Stevie. And I guess it was the end of an era in a way. Afterwards, it was head on into Klonopin-town!
Yes, Joan of Arc is dated early March as you pointed out here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by svnwndrs View Post
Also, isn't there a master reel with Joan Of Arc that is dated 3/9/1986? I could have sworn I saw that on a FM bootleg trade webpage years and years ago. I could be wrong, especially since I always used to think that was written about Betty Ford. But if I am recalling correctly, then that would mean that it's very likely Stevie spent atleast a few days with the group in March 1986, after her time in Australia with Petty and Dylan, and before her RAL tour began in April...
I also think she had written it about detoxification, but as you said she entered Betty Ford much later. However I still think it's about her expectations about it since she decided much earlier that she'd enter the clinic at the end of the 1986 tour. I've read in more places that all the members of FM supposedly tried to detox entering rehab many times during the years but ended up quitting after few days, she may have not been an exception; also many of her friends and acquaintances had her same problems and she must have heard stories, so she definitely wasn't new to the concept of drug treatment.
Another major theme of the song is definitely her break-up with Joe Walsh.

However I find much crazier the klonopin era somehow.
Old 02-18-2017, 03:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
However I find much crazier the klonopin era somehow.
80s coke Stevie is pretty crazy because that's what coke does but I agree klonopin Stevie is more fascinating. I look at some of her interviews from around then and she's just bitter bitter bitter about everything. Especially the Mick/Silver Springs thing is so ridiculous but she was PISSED. She didn't even appear in the Going Home doc. And she was even worse at Lindsey even though for once she didn't really have much reason to be, since he wasn't even there anymore but was still doing most of the things they asked like the Chain box set, playing on BTM etc. I've always wondered what her close friends were thinking during that time and how she was.
Old 02-18-2017, 04:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
"Deserted her band for RAL tour rehearsals?" Do you really that that's an accurate account, or are you still po'ed that Stevie didn't record with FM for their latest album? Going on tour for an album is a contractual obligation, as I'm sure you're aware of. And rehearsing before a tour is a necessity. Stevie can be criticized for a lot of things, but touring to support her solo album, and rehearsing for it, is not one of them, even if it interfered with recording a FM album.
What? There is a radio interview where Stevie says she was off to Australia and told her band to learn the songs and practice without her. 100% factual. Her solo tour kicked off April 11 1986. Does it make sense to be in another country partying hard with other bands while your solo tour is just weeks away? I think not. It just shows her priorities in those days. Then after the tour to rush to Australia again when the Mac is trying to get you in the studio. It once again showed her priorities in those days. I am not sure why you want to project the nonsense to me about Stevie not recording with the new Mac album. This has nothing to do with that. If you think her attitude of brushing off her RAL rehearsals and Mac studio time is fine, that's cool. You are entitled to your opinion. That's fantastic! I never criticized Stevie for touring. I criticized her for telling her band to practice WITHOUT her while she went to Australia just weeks before the tour was to begin. The same way she went off to Australia again when the Mac was looking for her to record Tango.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 02-18-2017 at 04:40 PM..
Old 02-18-2017, 04:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Stevie had to go to Australia with the RAL tour because the album was selling extremely well. It was the 6th best-selling album of 1986 in Australia. Quite an achievement.
Old 02-18-2017, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James89 View Post
Stevie had to go to Australia with the RAL tour because the album was selling extremely well. It was the 6th best-selling album of 1986 in Australia. Quite an achievement.
Exactly. Also she did well to accompany Tom and Bob Dylan there in February since I can't wait peaked there in that period, so I'm sure that surely must have been part of the reason of the album success.

Last edited by SisterNightroad; 02-18-2017 at 06:58 PM..
Old 02-18-2017, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
What? There is a radio interview where Stevie says she was off to Australia and told her band to learn the songs and practice without her. 100% factual. Her solo tour kicked off April 11 1986. Does it make sense to be in another country partying hard with other bands while your solo tour is just weeks away? I think not. It just shows her priorities in those days. Then after the tour to rush to Australia again when the Mac is trying to get you in the studio. It once again showed her priorities in those days. I am not sure why you want to project the nonsense to me about Stevie not recording with the new Mac album. This has nothing to do with that. If you think her attitude of brushing off her RAL rehearsals and Mac studio time is fine, that's cool. You are entitled to your opinion. That's fantastic! I never criticized Stevie for touring. I criticized her for telling her band to practice WITHOUT her while she went to Australia just weeks before the tour was to begin. The same way she went off to Australia again when the Mac was looking for her to record Tango.
There's no need to fight when it's evident you misunderstood each other.
However the facts are that Stevie decided to accompany her friend Tom Petty in his Australian Tour with Bob Dylan in early February while her band had already started rehearsing, the rest is your interpretation.
Since that was two full months before the start of the RAL tour it doesn't seem such a tight schedule, especially since Stevie doesn't play any instrument on stage so she doesn't need to start rehearsing from the beginning. I remember it was like that also for some early Rumours and Tusk rehearsals.
Also as we've already pointed out going to Australia with Tom and Bob Dylan before the tour and adding Australian dates at the end was a good promotional and marketing choice for her.

Last edited by SisterNightroad; 02-18-2017 at 05:03 PM..
Old 02-18-2017, 06:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
There's no need to fight when it's evident you misunderstood each other.
However the facts are that Stevie decided to accompany her friend Tom Petty in his Australian Tour with Bob Dylan in early February while her band had already started rehearsing, the rest is your interpretation.
Since that was two full months before the start of the RAL tour it doesn't seem such a tight schedule, especially since Stevie doesn't play any instrument on stage so she doesn't need to start rehearsing from the beginning. I remember it was like that also for some early Rumours and Tusk rehearsals.
Also as we've already pointed out going to Australia with Tom and Bob Dylan before the tour and adding Australian dates at the end was a good promotional and marketing choice for her.
No one is fighting. There was a big misunderstanding. I am confused how my post had a completely different meaning to someone else. I was simply pointing out what Stevie did and my feelings about it. I never knocked Stevie's tour. But her tour rehearsals and her Mac commitment during 1986 are fair game for criticism. Doing shows in Australia with Bob and Tom would be a blast. But the group that made you famous almost put you on milk carton "missing."
Old 02-18-2017, 07:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
You are correct. She went to Australia twice. She was in Australia right before her RAL tour kicked off. She deserted her band for RAL tour rehearsals.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKwqs1bDCnw
I think our misunderstanding (at least on my part) stemmed from your comment that "she deserted her band for RAL tour rehearsals." I took that comment to mean you felt she deserted Fleetwood Mac for RAL tour rehearsals, instead of recording Tango with them.

That's why I was confused.
Old 02-18-2017, 07:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I think our misunderstanding (at least on my part) stemmed from your comment that "she deserted her band for RAL tour rehearsals." I took that comment to mean you felt she deserted Fleetwood Mac for RAL tour rehearsals, instead of recording Tango with them.

That's why I was confused.
Ahhhh I see. I meant her touring band.
Old 02-19-2017, 06:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

In Tom Petty's autobiography it talks about Tom getting ready to go off on his Australia tour, and his wife was supposed to go but then said she wouldn't go. This is where Stevie had her infamous line like "promise her a Porsche, promise her some diamonds" --something very close to that. But nothing worked. So in the book it says that she knew he was having a hard time for whatever reason and so she asked him "Do you want ME to go with you?" And it was arranged that she would go.

The opening lines to Battle of the Dragon describe this time: "This was not preplanned, but after some calls, I decided to go to the other side of the world"