Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-08-2004, 11:12 PM
Ledgie

Question Auckland, New Zealand, March 22 1980

Hi all,

I've just noticed this Fleetnote on http://fmlegacy.com/concertsfmtusk.html :

"The show was broadcast live to the entire country. Lindsey had a bit to much to drink before the show and embarrassed himself a bit on stage. Mick, apparently upset with him at time, would not take the band out for an encore."

And I have a couple of questions:
1. There MUST be recordings of this somewhere, seeing as it was a radio (or TV!?! ) broadcast, musn't there???

2. Are there any (other) NZers on the forum who might have the original recording, know which station(s) it was broadcast on, or know where to get a copy of the recording??

Many thanks,

Hugh. (Mr. Wonderful)
Old 08-09-2004, 02:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I think that was the concert where Christine slapped Lindsey and threw her drink in his face after the show!

You wouldn't want to mess with her if she was mad would you!

Gail
Old 08-09-2004, 03:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I read about this one time in an article.... wasn't Lindsey drunk off his ass and when they played Rhiannon he put a black towel over his head and began doing a funny impression of Stevie? I thought that's what made Christine slap him. Man I'd give anything to see that series of events, lol.

Doo! Do-do-doo! Do-do-do! Do-do-do-do-do-do-do! Do-do-do! TUSK! Doo-doo-DOO-doo...
Old 08-09-2004, 12:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I have heard of this show, but I've never been aware of a recording of it.

Similar thing happened with the Melbourne show (3-15?) which is in circulation. It's pretty obvious that he's drunk, or pissed off, or just acting out in general. He keeps screaming & saying weird stuff. I've been planning on posting this show for a while, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Paula
Old 08-09-2004, 12:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by skcin
The idea that a show broadcast to an entire country has never surfaced is dubious. I wonder whether Stephen Davis just got his facts jumbled. As for Mick, he's probably completely clueless.
Quote:
Similar thing happened with the Melbourne show (3-15?) which is in circulation.
That show is March 11, although the March 15 show from Sydney is also in circulation & they're both from the soundboard.
Quote:
It's pretty obvious that he's drunk, or pissed off, or just acting out in general. He keeps screaming & saying weird stuff.
Yeah, he's obviously fatigued. But that's the stuff of which legendary concert moments are made! At least one difference between Lindsey & Stevie is that, when he gets tired, his playing actually grows in interest, whereas she's best artistically in a fully rested, completely happy state (whether or not that's flake-induced is for you to decide).
Old 08-09-2004, 01:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezamatic
I read about this one time in an article.... wasn't Lindsey drunk off his ass and when they played Rhiannon he put a black towel over his head and began doing a funny impression of Stevie? I thought that's what made Christine slap him. Man I'd give anything to see that series of events.
Apparently, it was of equal interest aurally. To paraphrase Mick, "He played anything but Rhiannon."

Now that's the true spirit of Tusk, & not a pose.
Old 08-09-2004, 01:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:

Similar thing happened with the Melbourne show (3-15?) which is in circulation. It's pretty obvious that he's drunk, or pissed off, or just acting out in general. He keeps screaming & saying weird stuff. I've been planning on posting this show for a while, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Paula
I always thought this was the show where LB did his Rhiannon parody.
Old 08-09-2004, 02:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Wasn't the big issue that he kicked Stevie?

Maybe this isn't THE show, but that was in Australia right?
Old 08-09-2004, 04:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I read that she collapsed to her knees in a dramatic way for the end of Rhiannon, and then Lindsey decided to just topple her over with his foot, after jumping around the stage taking the piss out of her. Sounds bloody hilarious to me.
Old 08-09-2004, 04:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazza
I read that she collapsed to her knees in a dramatic way for the end of Rhiannon, and then Lindsey decided to just topple her over with his foot, after jumping around the stage taking the piss out of her. Sounds bloody hilarious to me.

Why, oh why, is there not video of this!

Paula
Old 08-09-2004, 06:41 PM
Ledgie

Quote:

Why, oh why, is there not video of this!

Paula
OMFG it *was* a TV show!!!!!!!!!! see this for more info; I'm emailing the national archives as I type.

PS Just noticed this at http://www.fleetwoodmac-uk.com/artic...icle1103.html:

Buckingham too started to come unscrewed, overwhelmed by frustrations about his relationship with Nicks, the way it ended, her position as crowd favourite at concerts. In March 1980, playing to 60,000 in Auckland, New Zealand while loaded with whisky (according to Fleetwood), he pulled his jacket over his head in grotesque imitation of Nicks?s drapes and started to ape her twirling moves. Then he ran across the stage and kicked her. Nicks carried on like a trouper.

In the dressing-room, head hung in shame, he was confronted by Christine McVie who slapped him and threw a glass of wine over him: ?Don?t you ever do that to this band again! Ever! Is that clear??

Buckingham can?t remember the events, but says, with bemusement: ?Oh, I wouldn?t doubt that I mimicked Stevie on-stage. And kicked her? That could have happened too.?

Old 08-09-2004, 09:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wonderful
OMFG it *was* a TV show!!!!!!!!!! see this for more info; I'm emailing the national archives as I type.

PS Just noticed this at http://www.fleetwoodmac-uk.com/artic...icle1103.html:

Buckingham too started to come unscrewed, overwhelmed by frustrations about his relationship with Nicks, the way it ended, her position as crowd favourite at concerts. In March 1980, playing to 60,000 in Auckland, New Zealand while loaded with whisky (according to Fleetwood), he pulled his jacket over his head in grotesque imitation of Nicks?s drapes and started to ape her twirling moves. Then he ran across the stage and kicked her. Nicks carried on like a trouper.

In the dressing-room, head hung in shame, he was confronted by Christine McVie who slapped him and threw a glass of wine over him: ?Don?t you ever do that to this band again! Ever! Is that clear??

Buckingham can?t remember the events, but says, with bemusement: ?Oh, I wouldn?t doubt that I mimicked Stevie on-stage. And kicked her? That could have happened too.?

i remember reading this, i also have a friend from new zealand who attended the show & i would love 2 ask if he has ever heard of the show, being out there 2 view~ he is on holiday in croatia, but soon as he e me again i will ask him~ also any1 who has the uncut magazine it has an interview where it says during tango, well it says..."a row breaks out over lindsey buckingham's refusal to tour, and when former lover stevie nicks tries to remostrate him, the highly-strung guitarist explodes, "get this b@tch outa my way,and f@ck the lot of you!", he screams as he pushes her over the hood of his car and delivers a slap", he also calls the band, selfish b@stards"~ i love lindsey alot but it makes me sad 2 think he did those sort of things, he always seems like the sensitive guy type~ but it seems that fm can put that all behind them & i give them kudos 4 that!~ their passionate lives make 4 some gr8 tunes!!!~

brightest stevie blessings~
jill
Old 08-13-2004, 02:04 AM
Lux
This message has been deleted by Lux.
Old 08-13-2004, 09:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

"F*ck the lot of you" doesn't sound like something LB would say, it's too British, IMO. We Americans don't talk about "the lot of you". I think Mick may have ad-libbed a bit. I DO love the word bastard, though

Paula
Old 08-13-2004, 11:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
"F*ck the lot of you" doesn't sound like something LB would say, it's too British, IMO. We Americans don't talk about "the lot of you". I think Mick may have ad-libbed a bit.

Paula
That's what I thought when I read that too, Paula. Those are obviously Mick's words and not Lindsey's.

Old 08-13-2004, 12:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Yes, only us British would say "**** the lot of you". And maybe Madonna. And then she would
Old 08-14-2004, 06:52 AM
Lux
This message has been deleted by Lux.