The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-18-2006, 06:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Just by way of defending myself - I HAVE changed things So this notion that I've been bitching and not doing anything = wrong.

Sorry if you don't like my "I didn't eat a donut" or "I didn't eat candy" this week - but those are very real parts of my struggle - which is what I thought the point of these threads was - so talk about your weight loss journey. So everyone else can do that, but when I do it's whining and sobbing??

And your time line is a bit skewed - maybe because my bitching is so painful it seems like two years - but really I just started this journey recently...

And I've never claimed that I am the only one with food issues...in fact I know there are many here who also struggle - and they've been right there with me discussing them. Your perception that I think I'm the only one with these problems and that I sit around feeling sorry for myself and sobbing is just wrong.

I'm eating right and dragging my ass to the gym every day to CHANGE these things. Beating myself up - trust me, I'm working on that one - but these things take time - and I come here to talk about these things because I have friends here who I discuss them with.

I'm not having conversations with myself around here - so I'm sorry you feel the way you do - but it's part of my life - which I discuss here If you're so pained by what I say, I would suggest putting me on ignore for a while - or just not reading what i have to say (since it's all the same to you anyway).

I get that what you're saying is your perception - and I hear what you're saying, but because the things I talk about are very real parts of my everyday life I will most likely keep talking about some of them.

For me it IS a victory when I pass up a donut - hopefully that **** won't mean as much in the future when I get better at eating well and exercising.
Old 10-18-2006, 06:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldustsongbird View Post
^
Yeah, but, DOES Deanna talk about it every day? I don't really follow these weight loss threads, even though I'm in the middle of trying to lose weight myself, so I have no idea who posts about what. I think it'd made sense to post every day or so about one's progress and struggles and such... Even whining is okay, because there *are* some days where you think you're getting nowhere. That goes for trying to change any big situation in your life.

I thought the article was kinda funny, actually.
NO! I don't talk about the exact same thing every day...if I do I'm not aware and will work on that....except that seriously - I always cheer myself when I pass up crap to eat - so maybe I'm just over-sharing??

But yeah - I was just talking about my journey - which is what I thought the point was.

And I actually thought the article was amusing - but I just don't think that people with that rigid an opinion truly understand actual food obsessions and such...I mean like Overeater Anonymous worthy stuff.
Old 10-18-2006, 06:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerDeanna View Post
NO! I don't talk about the exact same thing every day...if I do I'm not aware and will work on that....except that seriously - I always cheer myself when I pass up crap to eat - so maybe I'm just over-sharing??

But yeah - I was just talking about my journey - which is what I thought the point was.

And I actually thought the article was amusing - but I just don't think that people with that rigid an opinion truly understand actual food obsessions and such...I mean like Overeater Anonymous worthy stuff.
I dunno. I always feel good about myself when I pass up something unhealthy that I would've eaten before. I don't post about it, but I don't think any less of someone who does. Unless, of course, you're like, "Hey, guys! Some guy tried to give me Twinkies and a box of Smarties, and I only ate ONE OF THE SMARTIES AND A CRUMB FROM THE TWINKIE!!!!!! YAY FOR NOT GIVING INTO TEMPTATION!!!!!!"
... but I don't think you do that.

I didn't take the article too seriously. It's funny, and sometimes true, but I'm not going to take it to heart.
Old 10-18-2006, 06:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I dunno. I always feel good about myself when I pass up something unhealthy that I would've eaten before. I don't post about it, but I don't think any less of someone who does. Unless, of course, you're like, "Hey, guys! Some guy tried to give me Twinkies and a box of Smarties, and I only ate ONE OF THE SMARTIES AND A CRUMB FROM THE TWINKIE!!!!!! YAY FOR NOT GIVING INTO TEMPTATION!!!!!!"
... but I don't think you do that.

I didn't take the article too seriously. It's funny, and sometimes true, but I'm not going to take it to heart.
Well I do post about it - though not every day I did when I passed up a donut once...because I had just started with the losing weight and I was very proud.

But, to me, that's the POINT of the chit chat forum of the Ledge...to share random crap. And in a thread for and about weight loss I see nothing wrong with anyone talking about what they're going through.

But we all have different things that rub people the wrong way, obviously I've done that.
Old 10-18-2006, 07:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Well I do post about it - though not every day I did when I passed up a donut once...because I had just started with the losing weight and I was very proud.

But, to me, that's the POINT of the chit chat forum of the Ledge...to share random crap. And in a thread for and about weight loss I see nothing wrong with anyone talking about what they're going through.

But we all have different things that rub people the wrong way, obviously I've done that.
Yeah, I can understand that. When you're at that starting point, ANYTHING you do differently seems like a huge deal. *shrug* You don't bother me. If you did, I would've let you know by now.
Old 10-18-2006, 07:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Yeah, I can understand that. When you're at that starting point, ANYTHING you do differently seems like a huge deal. *shrug* You don't bother me. If you did, I would've let you know by now.
Ha well thank ya - since I'm not quite a serial thread killer -and manage to have many many conversations on here...I figure I'm still ok.

Of course I'm going to rub people the wrong way - I know of at least two people who seem to have issue with me - and conversely there are Ledgies I have issue with - but I don't generally broadcast it...if I have a big problem with someone I just utilize the ever-so-handy ignore feature..

But with so many personalities on here it's close to impossible to get along with everyone - and after my last "spat" with someone on here I was very heartened to find that even people who don't think anyone has problems with them....well it's not the case.

I'm sure almost everyone has a problem with one person or another...

That's life, but well I guess I kind of do have a problem with a proplem against me being broadcast -especially since I'm really not doing anything different than others.
Old 10-18-2006, 07:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Deanna, I just wanted to say that you're one of my favorite people here, and THIS IS what friends should be able to do - talk about anything, and be here for each other.

Anyone who doesn't like it, can hit the road, Jack!
Old 10-18-2006, 07:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Why thank ya....

Well it's clear we're not ALL friends - but it's not going to stop me...I won't leave again as I did a year or so ago...but I'm really not annoyed or worried or anything...I enjoy my daily Ledge visits
Old 10-18-2006, 07:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber View Post
Omigod, I was just researching, and came across this. I was laughing sooooo hard. Bout time someone said it like this.
i think that's a great essay; i could've written it myself. i hate when people say that in order to have that attitude & be positive about weight loss, you can't have/understand food issues, because it devalues the hard work i have put into my weight loss. my efforts have not been without the occasional struggle or temptation - i work at a restaurant where 90% of what we serve is not healthy. but i would not consider this a battle at all. this is not because i don't understand food issues. you don't get to be 230 pounds at the age of 22 without using food as a crutch. but after over a decade of severe depression and self-hatred and sedentariness and isolation, i decided i was done. i stopped taking **** from myself and quit making excuses. i educated myself on how food works, and i started exercising.

i guess i don't view this as a battle because i don't see myself as working against anything. my life isn't driven by my taste buds and emotions anymore; i'm working with my body, with nature, with my mind. i have never in the last 10 years been so happy or proud. physical freedom brings me joy. joy! and i don't think i'm in any kind of minority for that ... i think that's universal. don't you feel great when you feel strong, powerful? when nothing has control over you? when you don't subordinate yourself to whims and emotions? when you take responsibility for your decisions?

as i said, it's not always struggle-free for me. this morning in particular, i would have loved to lie in bed, reading and watching what not to wear before work. but i knew i'd regret it later, so i told myself to stfu and get on my bike . and i was right, i totally felt great all day. i mean, i'm not trying to be all, listen to how awesome i am! i just want to share my extremely positive experience, because i want everyone to have the same joy in their life that i do.

it's all about perception. you're not working against anything, you're working for your body, with your mind. you're chiseling away a false self, an ego that is doing nothing for you but insulate you from happiness, reality, and responsibility.
Old 10-18-2006, 07:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrie721 View Post

it's all about perception. you're not working against anything, you're working for your body, with your mind. you're chiseling away a false self, an ego that is doing nothing for you but insulate you from happiness, reality, and responsibility.
That is a good point - but it just takes some people longer to get there than others

I'm still not there at all. To me, it IS a daily struggle, even when I feel awesome after a good workout. It's the food that gets me, and continues to.

I know this will continue until I have a mind shift - a shift in my way of thinking, but that's not happening with diet and exercise alone - so I'm working outside of those things to understand where my attitudes on this issue comes from.

I never meant to take anything away from your journey by saying that some don't understand food issues - perhaps I should say then MY food issues aren't understood? I don't know - I do maintain that many people (I'm not saying you) don't understand very real food issues - they think it's made up or a sign of weakness, but it's a very real thing.

I don't know - but I do know that you're doing an ass-kicking and inspirational job with the whole thing -and attitude IS a big part of it....

We all get there at different times I guess.
Old 10-19-2006, 08:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
That is a good point - but it just takes some people longer to get there than others

I'm still not there at all. To me, it IS a daily struggle, even when I feel awesome after a good workout. It's the food that gets me, and continues to.

I know this will continue until I have a mind shift - a shift in my way of thinking, but that's not happening with diet and exercise alone - so I'm working outside of those things to understand where my attitudes on this issue comes from.

I never meant to take anything away from your journey by saying that some don't understand food issues - perhaps I should say then MY food issues aren't understood? I don't know - I do maintain that many people (I'm not saying you) don't understand very real food issues - they think it's made up or a sign of weakness, but it's a very real thing.

I don't know - but I do know that you're doing an ass-kicking and inspirational job with the whole thing -and attitude IS a big part of it....

We all get there at different times I guess.
Have you read 8 Weeks to Optimum Health yet? That one helped me alot. I always felt that I was punishing myself when eating healthy foods and rewarding myself when eating junk. But that book helped me shift my perception by tuning into how the food made me feel.

I wanted to mention that I think you feel bigger because you are developing body awareness. When not exercising you can just ignore your body but when you're using it you can't. Does that make sense?

I'm still at 151.5 lbs. Not bad but I would love to get down to 140. I just wish my breasts would stop shrinking at this point.
Old 10-19-2006, 09:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzeQuze View Post
Have you read 8 Weeks to Optimum Health yet? That one helped me alot.
I just finished it.

I got up to 172 last year (I'm only 5'5"). In June, I was down to 160, but now I'm back up to 168. I've been walking 2 miles every day for the last two weeks, but can't seem to completely 86 the double quarter-pounder meals. What horrifies me even more than the amount of calories and fat I'm consuming, is the amount of money I'm spending on them. I spent $70 on fast food in the last month. I'm doing better though. I've only had them 4 times in the last two weeks (as opposed to pretty much every day). Still, I think my eating them is rendering my 2-mile walks useless.

Anyway, I liked Weil's book, although he's a little new agey for my taste, and some of his suggestions (like the steam baths) seemed a little over-the-top to me. I'm going to root through the pantry when we move and toss out all the stuff he suggests. I've been trying to eat more vegetables and fish (again), but I just cannot like soy products (tofu, burgers, etc.). I've tried telling myself they're delicious, but they're just not.
Old 10-19-2006, 09:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

well, my losing streak has ended. I haven't lost any more poundage. I've kicked it up a notch as far as the diet goes. hopefully next week I'll see some results.
Old 10-19-2006, 09:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Amber - you're right. People who whine & bitch but continue to do the same thing over & over again need to either make a real change in their lives, or resign themselves to the fact that they'll never change and shut up about it. That article was great.

Deanna - you're right too. Some people have emotional issues & abnormal attachments to food, and many others don't. Those who don't have a hard time understanding that it's not always as simple as "just stop eating so much!" Well, it IS that simple, but it's much easier said than done.

I personally just like food that tastes good. And yes, a bacon cheeseburger DOES taste better than carrot sticks. It takes a major attitude adjustment to completely change the way you were raised to think about food. It's not always easy, but it's not impossible either.

As far as discussing it here on The Ledge ad nauseum, I figure if you want support, post away - but as usual be prepared for some people to disagree with you or make comments that you may not like. On the other hand, if you're sick of hearing about people struggling to lose weight, just don't read the 500 threads about it.
Old 10-19-2006, 10:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by markolas View Post
I just finished it.

I got up to 172 last year (I'm only 5'5"). In June, I was down to 160, but now I'm back up to 168. I've been walking 2 miles every day for the last two weeks, but can't seem to completely 86 the double quarter-pounder meals. What horrifies me even more than the amount of calories and fat I'm consuming, is the amount of money I'm spending on them. I spent $70 on fast food in the last month. I'm doing better though. I've only had them 4 times in the last two weeks (as opposed to pretty much every day). Still, I think my eating them is rendering my 2-mile walks useless.

Anyway, I liked Weil's book, although he's a little new agey for my taste, and some of his suggestions (like the steam baths) seemed a little over-the-top to me. I'm going to root through the pantry when we move and toss out all the stuff he suggests. I've been trying to eat more vegetables and fish (again), but I just cannot like soy products (tofu, burgers, etc.). I've tried telling myself they're delicious, but they're just not.
I just tried the fake buffalo wings and they are good. But they're fried so I'm not sure that is what he meant to eat.

Yeah, once you become aware of calories and fat food like that seems disgusting. You could always just reduce to the reg quarter pounder.

Weil is very new agey. Take what you like and leave the rest which it sounds like you've done. Any change is helpful! Especially if you were eating that crap every day. I guess the motivation to stay away from it will be feeling better.

I still have many changes to my diet I could make but I eat mostly well and for my last checkup my cholesterol was excellent, I have very high good cholesterol and low bad. So I am doing something right! I think it's the whole grains I eat and the exercise. Exercise is the fountain of youth.