Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > The Early Years
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-28-2003, 06:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Trinity

When I was bored and first started digging into my dad's boxed set a month or so ago this is one of the songs that really grabbed my ear. What REALLY shocked me was that it was an unreleased song!

This would have easily been the standout track on Bare Trees or Mystery To Me. Haven't heard much of Heroes but I imagine it would have been a standout on there too.

The only thing about it I didn't like were the lack of lyrics. They seem unfinished. Is it possible that this was just one of those songs that they let sit until they finished it, but never got around to it? I just can't see any reason to leave a great song like this off of an album.
Old 06-28-2003, 06:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Actually, it was a Danny Kirwan tune, an outtake of either Kiln House or Future Games (can't remember which at the moment, but I'm leaning toward the latter). Danny was long gone by the time Mystery To Me and Heroes Are Hard To Find were released.

The lyric comment you made was a typical comment regarding Danny Kirwan's writing. He came up with WONDERFUL songs, riffs, melodies & harmonies, but he wasn't the strongest lyricist. He would have great ideas to start with, but he just didn't seem to complete the idea all the way through. "Dust" (from Bare Trees) and "Woman Of A 1000 Years" (from Future Games) are a couple of examples of his most "complete" song lyrics. Songs such as "Tell Me All The Things You Do" (from Kiln House) suffer from a great musical idea, but really dull & mundane lyrical content...yet, the song is one of my favorites of his. Even his most well-known tune "Station Man", really is finely tuned musically, but is a real bust lyrically...just seemingly incomplete lines thrown in to deem the song finished.

In regards to "I just can't see any reason to leave a great song like this off of an album.', if you can, seek out Rick Vito's "Got No Home" outtake from the Behind The Mask sessions, now there's a song with a strong "HIT SINGLE" potential that was left in the can and a sub-standard tune "Stand On The Rock" put in its place.
Old 06-28-2003, 09:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Actually, I have absoutely NO interest in any post-Tango stuff. Maybe if I become a die hard I'll check that stuff out in a few years. LOL

But yeah his lyrical ideas are really incomplete. Child Of MIne is also an awesome song with a chorus totally unrelated to the rest of the lyrics. It's actually kind of a lame chorus lyrically.

And I really wasn't sure what album it would have been on, I'm still not too familiar with their stuff so I was thinkin' it could have been on any post Green pre B/Nicks album.
Old 06-28-2003, 09:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Smile

Yeah, the song "Trinity" is great musically, I'd imagine it's either a FG or BT outtake, either way, it would've been a highlight on either album and those albums are very good FM albums already.

John
Old 06-28-2003, 10:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by EricBliss12345
Actually, I have absoutely NO interest in any post-Tango stuff. Maybe if I become a die hard I'll check that stuff out in a few years.
Keep chatting with me, Eric, and I'll get you hooked on ALL incarnations of Fleetwood Mac.

It's my evil super-power.
Old 06-29-2003, 05:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I like "Trinity" too. Since the copyright date of the song on the box set is 1971, I would guess it's a Future Games outtake. But, it would have fit well on either Future Games or Bare Trees.
Old 06-29-2003, 08:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Smile

That 1971 date is what I went by too. I originally thought it was a FG outtake too and at times I still think that but when I think of DK's work on those 2 albums, he seemed to be more in mellow mood on FG and heavier more rocking mood on BT and since "Trinity" is more rocking... that's the only reason I think it may be a BT outtake as I guess there's no way of knowing when in '71 this was done as I thought it may have been one he was working on after FG came out but before BT had started up in a big way or whatever but who knows, the end result is good and that's all that matters.

John
Old 06-29-2003, 10:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by wetcamelfood
That 1971 date is what I went by too. I originally thought it was a FG outtake too and at times I still think that but when I think of DK's work on those 2 albums, he seemed to be more in mellow mood on FG and heavier more rocking mood on BT and since "Trinity" is more rocking... that's the only reason I think it may be a BT outtake as I guess there's no way of knowing when in '71 this was done as I thought it may have been one he was working on after FG came out but before BT had started up in a big way or whatever but who knows, the end result is good and that's all that matters.

John
John,
I get your point about "Trinity" being more rocking. It's a good song regardless of when it was done. Hopefully, we'll get to hear more outtakes from this era, if any more exist. If any of these albums get remastered with bonus tracks, that would be great with me.
Old 06-29-2003, 10:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Arrow Great lil tune!!

Danny is my second fave male FM member and I love pretty much EVERY SONG he's EVER done (like Lindsey) and yep, this one is great!! It reminds me of a good old Western film...you know, like Shane...there could be a man from the western town of Trinity. LOL
Old 06-29-2003, 04:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Smile Re: Great lil tune!!

Quote:
Originally posted by macfan 57
John,
I get your point about "Trinity" being more rocking. It's a good song regardless of when it was done. Hopefully, we'll get to hear more outtakes from this era, if any more exist. If any of these albums get remastered with bonus tracks, that would be great with me.
Yeah, I couldn't agree more. At least we know GTCTTWW is an outtake that exists from MTM but whatever there is we can hope they do surface on these apparently upcoming Rhino FM remasters (after the BN era ones are done anyways that is of course).

John
Old 06-30-2003, 07:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Hi John! No talk. Hope all is well with you. Yeah, ironically, I've been waiting a long time to hear "Good Things Come To Those Who Wait." I hope that song's sentiment is true to form! I noticed your posts regarding Purple Dancer and Dragonfly. Those are two of my favorite rarities. You mentioned that the band performed Dragonfly live on TV?? Really, truely live? What does it sound like? Are the vocal harmonies there?
Old 06-30-2003, 08:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

From what Bob Welch replied in his Q&A here a couple of years ago, what he released as "Don't Wait Too Long" on his Three Hearts album is almost verbatim to what "Good Things Come To Those Who Wait" was. I have trouble hearing how it fits into the Mystery To Me flow, but maybe the original incarnation of the song does.

I've got a live version of "Purple Dancer" on vinyl, the harmonies on IT sound fairly close to the studio version. I can imagine that the live version of "Dragonfly" would too.
Old 06-30-2003, 05:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Smile

Hi Penguinhead

The live "Dragonfly" is from the Beat Club 1971 show which you can get a copy of here:

http://www.fattvideos.com/video/1919...B_GERMANY_1971

A snippet of this is used in the UK TV FM doc from 1995 called "Rock family trees". The part they used is the only part of the song where you actually see them as most of the performance is done in groovy psychedelic lightings but it is definitely the FG/BT lineup performing it. As for the audio part of it, the harmonies are light as the main thing that stands out on that version of "Dragonfly" is DK's strong but echoy lead guitar work.

John
Old 07-03-2003, 01:09 PM
Junior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by chiliD
The lyric comment you made was a typical comment regarding Danny Kirwan's writing. He came up with WONDERFUL songs, riffs, melodies & harmonies, but he wasn't the strongest lyricist. He would have great ideas to start with, but he just didn't seem to complete the idea all the way through. "Dust" (from Bare Trees) and "Woman Of A 1000 Years" (from Future Games) are a couple of examples of his most "complete" song lyrics.

In regards to "I just can't see any reason to leave a great song like this off of an album.', if you can, seek out Rick Vito's "Got No Home" outtake from the Behind The Mask sessions, now there's a song with a strong "HIT SINGLE" potential that was left in the can and a sub-standard tune "Stand On The Rock" put in its place.
I agree with you about "Woman of 1000 Years"... great musical idea *and lyrics. That's one of those songs that people don't notice. Dust, however, wasn't his lyrics. It was a poem written by a British poet (I can't remember who... I'm at work right now and don't have the album near me). But it is one of my favorite FM songs ever.

And yeah, "Got No Home" is amazing... I have that in my car on a CD right now. Rick really is underrated. From what I hear, he's got a new cd coming out, but it can only be ordered through his website at http://www.rickvito.com I haven't heard any of it yet, but I'll probably order it sooner or later. King of Hearts & Pink & Black are awesome.

Ta,
Laura

http://www.angelfire.com/tx3/emeraldeyes
Old 07-03-2003, 02:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Yeah, I do recall now that "Dust" was taken from a poem. But, it's not verbatim to the original poem, is it? Danny just took the poem and adapted it, right? (in a similar vein how John & Yoko took Robert & Elizabeth Barrett Browning poems for a couple of their songs on "Double Fantasy".)

Quote:
Originally posted by hildymac
I haven't heard any of it yet, but I'll probably order it sooner or later. King of Hearts & Pink & Black are awesome.
There are a couple of tunes ("Bluestown" & "Come Back Little Sheba") on his new Bandbox Boogie album that were originally slated to be on his aborted Bluestown album (which was evntually retracked & released as Pink & Black). They're songs he's been playing during his live show fairly consistently.

If you like King Of Hearts & Pink & Black, you shouldn't hesitate getting Lucky Devils & Crazy Cool (the latter has Rick's own version of "Love Is Dangerous"), either...not a weak song on either album...in fact, all of Rick's solo albums are so good throughout, it is nearly impossible to try to make an anthology that doesn't seem to glaringily leave out some great songs!

Last edited by chiliD; 07-03-2003 at 02:48 PM..