The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > The Early Years
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read


Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #76  
Old 03-29-2014, 10:19 PM
iamnotafraid iamnotafraid is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 4,850
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
But then a long series of snubs ensued, and it's become a huge punchline ever since.
I think it's more of "who" they've included that make it such a joke.
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 03-29-2014, 10:29 PM
Wendy Welch Wendy Welch is offline
Senior Ledgie
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 108
Default Chris is mad? Bob was Mad!!!!

You say Chris was mad, Steve MacD? You must be kidding, it was Bob that Probably had a right and was furious at what was done before. Don't you think he should have been if you should dig a little deeper? Obviously I can't comment past the original lawsuit that was in public domaine, but I wish I could!
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 03-29-2014, 11:00 PM
SteveMacD's Avatar
SteveMacD SteveMacD is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: The Buckeye State
Posts: 6,735
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendy Welch View Post
You say Chris was mad, Steve MacD? You must be kidding, it was Bob that Probably had a right and was furious at what was done before. Don't you think he should have been if you should dig a little deeper? Obviously I can't comment past the original lawsuit that was in public domaine, but I wish I could!
To be clear, I am not saying Bob didn't have a good reason or right to sue or to be angry with them. I sympathize more with Bob on that than the band. However I could see where they might not especially like somebody after being sued by them, and, one of the three people who may have had an issue with Bob at the time was basically a member or an associate of the band from the very beginning. You are reacting to the details of the case, which as you noted, are not public information. I'm just examining typical human behavior.

However, in light of what happened with the Kiss induction, I really don't know how much input the band actually had. Fleetwood Mac was eligible for induction in 1992, but it didn't happen for them for six years after the fact. I suspect they were just happy to be inducted at all at that point, and it was decided that they would not fight for any of the other members of the band who were wrongly excluded from induction, but especially one that just sued them. I am definitely not saying that was right, I'm just trying to give a possible explanation to the situation in light of recent events.
__________________
On and on it will always be, the rhythm, rhyme, and harmony.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b313/SteveMacD/fm2014_zps5c60d7b9.jpg
THE Stephen Hopkins
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 03-30-2014, 08:47 AM
cabwinn's Avatar
cabwinn cabwinn is offline
Junior Ledgie
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: NOLA
Posts: 14
Thumbs up http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=53390

Yes he should definitley be included!!!!!! Please do so for his legacy!!!



Quote:
Originally Posted by welcomechris View Post
Bob’s Biggest Hit

Sentimental Lady Has Reached One Milllion Six Hundred Thirty-Four Thousand Two Hundred Seventy-Two [1634272] Views on YouTube! Sentimental Lad11111!!!!!y has been covered by Various Artists over 100 Times. It has been on Popular Soundtracks Including ‘Remember Me’ and ‘Grown Ups’. Sentimental Lady reached #8 on the Billboard Charts and gave the world the true definition of “Classic Rock”.

In 1978 Bob Welch & Friends some from Fleetwood Mac Performed at Cal Jam II

Bob Performed Some of his Best Songs from Fleetwood Mac, Paris, and His New Solo Career. He was joined on stage by Christine McVie, Stevie Nicks, and Mick Fleetwood. He Performed the hits “Hypnotized”, “Sentimental Lady”, and “Ebony Eyes” and 5 Other Songs.

He Spent 3 Years With Fleetwood Mac

Bob Also Convinced the band to move to L.A. which later introduced Buckingham Nicks to Mick Fleetwood. He Was on the Fleetwood Mac albums:

*Future Games (1971) - #91 (Billboard Top 200)

*Bare Trees (1972) - #70 (Billboard Top 200)
- Sentimental Lady - FM Radio Hit

*Penguin (1973) - #49 (Billboard Top 200)

*Mystery To Me (1973) - #67 (Billboard Top 200)
- Hypnotized - FM Radio Hit

*Heroes Are Hard to Find (1974) - #34 (Billboard Top 200)

_________________________________________________________________

Bob Welch Charts

Bob Welch: Mainstream Rock 1982

“It’s What Ya Don’t Say” - #45


Bob Welch “The Hot 100”


“Church” - #73
“Precious Love” - #19
“Hot Love, Cold World” - #31
“Ebony Eyes” - #14
“Sentimental Lady” - #8


Bob Welch “Top 200”

French Kiss - #12
Three Hearts - #20



Paris Charts

Paris Top 200

Big Towne, 2061 - #152
Paris - #103
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old 03-31-2014, 10:29 PM
Wendy Welch Wendy Welch is offline
Senior Ledgie
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 108
Default Fm/rrhof

They did not have to fight to get somebody in the RRHOF. Chris fought to keep somebody out of the FM RRHOF. That's a fact!
Reply With Quote
  #81  
Old 03-31-2014, 11:30 PM
chriskisn's Avatar
chriskisn chriskisn is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 1,844
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendy Welch View Post
They did not have to fight to get somebody in the RRHOF. Chris fought to keep somebody out of the FM RRHOF. That's a fact!
I've been watching this conversation for the past few months and I can't help but think that while Christine might have said "If Bob's there I'm not going", it didn't sound like she was the one keeping him out. If anything it was Mick who turned around and said "Well Christine won't come if Bob's there and Christine must be there, so keep Bob out."

Just because Mick said to you that it was Christine's fault just sounds like Mick trying to deflect the blame onto someone else. It was Christine's right not to turn up, it was only because Mick wanted her there more than he wanted Bob that he didn't stand up to her.

Should Bob be inducted? Of course, we've said that time and time again, but I'm not sure that it is going to happen unless someone can actually talk to Mick about it (and I don't mean you Wendy, because he's just going to avoid the question) and make Mick want to push the issue (there is no saying that the RRHOF will actually do it even if Mick was on our side).

Perhaps when FM start touring again and the fans start hanging around trying to talk to the band members, it should be a question that is asked again and again. Why isn't Bob in the HOF and what is being done about it.

Alternatively, does anyone have a personal email address for Mick?
__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Reply With Quote
  #82  
Old 04-01-2014, 01:25 AM
HomerMcvie's Avatar
HomerMcvie HomerMcvie is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Indiana/Tennessee
Posts: 11,279
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskisn View Post
"Well Christine won't come if Bob's there and Christine must be there, so keep Bob out."

Just because Mick said to you that it was Christine's fault just sounds like Mick trying to deflect the blame onto someone else. It was Christine's right not to turn up, it was only because Mick wanted her there more than he wanted Bob that he didn't stand up to her.
Mick only cares about one thing, and that's his wallet. If Chris said it, he only saw $$$$ sign for his wallet, agreeing with her.

WHAT financial gain did Mick have to gain from Bob, at that point?


Just sayin', Mick Fleetwood is the hooker of FM.
__________________
I will CRUSH YOU!!!! KAREN BRING ME MY FLIP PHONE!
And I'm David, not Homer!(we all should be able to change our name, at least once)
Reply With Quote
  #83  
Old 04-01-2014, 04:11 AM
jeremy spencer jeremy spencer is offline
Senior Ledgie
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 196
Default

I finally have to say at this point, having read a lot of presumptuous slurs against and slagging of Mick Fleetwood on this early years forum, some from people who hardly know him or don't even know him at all, that I have only known him to be a good, caring and generous man; giving to his own hurt while not making a big show of it.
Reply With Quote
  #84  
Old 04-01-2014, 05:18 AM
Mr Scarrott Mr Scarrott is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 346
Default

Hi Jeremy, thanks for your balanced and informed comment. I just wondered if your induction mattered much to you? Here in the UK, I'm not sure I fully understand the Hall's significance. Like Bob Weston said, maybe half-jokingly, does one get a wax effigy? Forgive me being presumptious, but I get the impression that theres' a whole heap of stuff that would matter far more to you.

Kind Regards.
Reply With Quote
  #85  
Old 04-01-2014, 07:44 AM
chriskisn's Avatar
chriskisn chriskisn is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 1,844
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy spencer View Post
I finally have to say at this point, having read a lot of presumptuous slurs against and slagging of Mick Fleetwood on this early years forum, some from people who hardly know him or don't even know him at all, that I have only known him to be a good, caring and generous man; giving to his own hurt while not making a big show of it.
Well from my point of view, it wasn't necessarily about the money, it was just simply that if Christine did say she wouldn't be there if Bob was there, then Mick obviously wanted Christine there more than he wanted Bob there. Whatever those reasons were (perhaps for financial reasons, perhaps for the band, we may never know).

As for the negative comments about Mick, what we see is the public persona, which has often come across as being focused on the money. You know him privately better than any of us, but sadly that isn't the side the fans get to see (and it isn't just Mick, it has been a band problem for Fleetwood Mac since the late 1970's).

We want artists to release the music because of their love of the music and their love of the fans that support them. We've seen that from a lot of ex-Fleetwood Mac members, Bob Welch and yourself included (and Dave W, Bekka, Billy, Rick, Peter and others).
__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Reply With Quote
  #86  
Old 04-01-2014, 03:04 PM
wetcamelfood wetcamelfood is offline
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Peabody, MA., USA
Posts: 2,048
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskisn View Post
Well from my point of view, it wasn't necessarily about the money, it was just simply that if Christine did say she wouldn't be there if Bob was there, then Mick obviously wanted Christine there more than he wanted Bob there. Whatever those reasons were (perhaps for financial reasons, perhaps for the band, we may never know).

As for the negative comments about Mick, what we see is the public persona, which has often come across as being focused on the money. You know him privately better than any of us, but sadly that isn't the side the fans get to see (and it isn't just Mick, it has been a band problem for Fleetwood Mac since the late 1970's).

We want artists to release the music because of their love of the music and their love of the fans that support them. We've seen that from a lot of ex-Fleetwood Mac members, Bob Welch and yourself included (and Dave W, Bekka, Billy, Rick, Peter and others).
Agreed, though not sure on Peter as he was used (in the 80s and for the PGSG).

John
Reply With Quote
  #87  
Old 04-01-2014, 08:45 PM
chriskisn's Avatar
chriskisn chriskisn is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 1,844
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetcamelfood View Post
Agreed, though not sure on Peter as he was used (in the 80s and for the PGSG).

John
I've always been curious as to whether Peter was used in the early days of the PGSG. I kind of think that in the beginning Peter was just enjoying playing and Nigel as his friend helped nurture that along. Then after a little while perhaps Nigel (and probably others) got a little bit too accustomed to the lifestyle and the money. I do believe that Peter, at least in the beginning, was probably enjoying himself.

Further to what I said before, I think most fans expect that the artist needs to make a living from their music. We know that they don't just do it for the love, they do actually need to put food on the table too. I just think when some artists from FM hit the big time they kind of forget the music and fans and start only seeing the dollar signs.
__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Reply With Quote
  #88  
Old 04-01-2014, 10:12 PM
Wendy Welch Wendy Welch is offline
Senior Ledgie
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 108
Default Jeremy Spencer/Give me a break

What's the point, Jeremy. Do you even talk to Mick. Is he trying to get you back in the band. You know better, as I do. He always got more money than the other members of the band from Clifford Davis/Adams, saying it was because he had children and they didn't. Have you forgotten that?

I know Mick and have spoken to him many times. How long has it been since you spoke to him and how many times in the past 40 years? Just curious. I don't think it has been many times at all from what I understand. And wasn't the first time you spoke to Mick after all those years for "Man of the World: Peter Green", which was only a four or five years ago. You deserted the band in LA in February 1971 to join the Children of god and are still associated with them, for which you said you regretted treating them that way, as you should. Peter Green attempted to finish the tour and Bob joined the band at the same time to replace you.

Also, if you care to reach me privately in a message, I will be glad to talk to you in a private way. You can find me on facebook.

Last edited by Wendy Welch; 04-01-2014 at 10:53 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #89  
Old 04-02-2014, 02:53 AM
Wendy Welch Wendy Welch is offline
Senior Ledgie
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 108
Default Peter Green

Also, as far as Peter Greenbaum ( his real name) did become schizophrenic and when I spoke to him when he had gotten out of the institute after over a decade, he was being used and living with Midge or is it Mitch, Clifford Davis' ex wife. He was under her control and very much being used by her and controlled by her and others. He was truly an innocent child. I spoke to him for over an hour or so in the late '90's and he definitely was not right, but he moved me. I so wanted to help him. If anyone didn't play music for money it was him. He pulled a gun on either the manager or the accountant, not sure which, if he sent him another check. He did not want his checks for his royalties and didn't believe in it in his mind space. He also could not concentrate enough to play with the other musicians in the band because he mentally just couldn't follow thru with it and would go off into tangents. I know Mick idolized Peter Green and gave him every chance he could. Peter was a genius, borderline. His song is still my favorite FM song, "Oh, Well". The song , his guitar playing and the lyrics were sheer genius, but he was so used and abused by so many. Ir is very sad. "Don't ask me what I think of you. I might not give the answer that you want me to. I talk to God and I know he understand. He said stick by me and I'll be your guiding hand." Who could say so much in such few words? God bless Peter Greene.

That's why Bob was urgently called by Judy Wong to move to England and join the band in February when Jeremy left FM in such a bind.
Reply With Quote
  #90  
Old 04-02-2014, 04:00 AM
jeremy spencer jeremy spencer is offline
Senior Ledgie
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 196
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendy Welch View Post
What's the point, Jeremy. Do you even talk to Mick. Is he trying to get you back in the band. You know better, as I do. He always got more money than the other members of the band from Clifford Davis/Adams, saying it was because he had children and they didn't. Have you forgotten that?

I know Mick and have spoken to him many times. How long has it been since you spoke to him and how many times in the past 40 years? Just curious. I don't think it has been many times at all from what I understand. And wasn't the first time you spoke to Mick after all those years for "Man of the World: Peter Green", which was only a four or five years ago. You deserted the band in LA in February 1971 to join the Children of god and are still associated with them, for which you said you regretted treating them that way, as you should. Peter Green attempted to finish the tour and Bob joined the band at the same time to replace you.

Also, if you care to reach me privately in a message, I will be glad to talk to you in a private way. You can find me on facebook.
I keep up regular communications with Mick and John by phone and email. My wife and I spent a wonderful time with Mick in Dublin recently just before Christmas.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
© 1995-2003 Martin and Lisa Adelson, All Rights Reserved