User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-04-2014, 12:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Why 'Why' should be unearthed and resurrected

Here's Why:

Among all of Christine's pre-rumours era songs, 'Why' is one her most emotional, sensitive, and epic ballads. It was performed early on in 1975 and 1976, but it's been dormant ever since then. I suspect a large proportion of fans/casual fans aren't even aware of the song's existence. I think it parallels or rivals 'Songbird' in emotional impact and accessibility, with a sense of strength and resilience, yet also deep sadness. People who don't know the song, hearing it for the first time, would easily connect with it, being that it has such a universal, simple message. If she sang this song on the upcoming tour, it would be somewhat of a surprise revelation for many people.

There’s no use in crying, it’s all over
And I know there will always be another day
Well, my heart will rise up with the morning sun
And the hurt I feel will simply melt away

You make me feel I just can’t carry on
But I know I won’t always be that way
‘Cause my heart will rise up with the morning sun
And the hurt I feel will simply melt away

You don’t have to give up, why is it all wrong?
Why don’t you love me, why don’t you just be strong?
You don’t have to give up, why is it all wrong?
Why don’t you love me?

Last edited by PenguinHead; 07-04-2014 at 03:52 PM..
Old 07-04-2014, 06:17 AM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinHead View Post
Here's Why:

Among all of Christine's pre-rumours era songs, 'Why' is one her most emotional, sensitive, and epic ballads. It was performed early on in 1975, but it's been dormant ever since then. I suspect a large proportion of fans/casual fans aren't even aware of the song's existence. I think it parallels or rivals 'Songbird' in emotional impact and accessibility, with a sense of strength and resilience, yet also deep sadness. People who don't know the song, hearing it for the first time, would easily connect with it , being that it has such a universal and simple message. If she sang this song on the upcoming tour, it would be somewhat of a surprise relatable revelation for many people.
Superbly stated. I couldn't agree more!!!
Old 07-04-2014, 07:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I posted this in another topic and it was quickly buried. I feel the same way!

I'm obsessed with Why and have been listening to it over the past few days (including it in my most recent setlist brainstorming)! I think it is a fantastic song that has been forgotten in the known history of Fleetwood Mac. I believe that bands have a duty to remind fans, critics, and the public of their oeuvre when it is not endlessly studied/returned to and FM is doing a serious disservice to a period of outstanding music that can really boost their significance even more in conversations of greatest bands of all time. I was so mad when I saw publications, including the usually knowledgable (and upper brow) Village Voice, listing top Christine songs upon her return to the band and passing over everything pre-1975 as well as her best deep-cuts (Oh Daddy, Isn't It Midnight, Over and Over). When I hear Why I think of how it serves as a wonderful synthesis of genres: blues, rock ballad, gospel even (I can hear an Aretha + choir version in my head). Christine really is one of the all-time great singer-songwriters, when there really are so few female rock stars out there who can actually write with something meaningful to say. So many of them attach themselves to songs to reap the royalties when they played almost no role in the writing or arranging process. I'd love to hear Why live to see that the band honors its past before Stevie and Lindsey. Christine did say that Mystery to Me was in her top two favorite FM albums. And if it does get played, I'd love to read reviews that pick up on that lost blues era of FM.
Old 07-04-2014, 07:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I agree it would be a surprise revelation, not only for fans but also critics who pass over early FM when considering the current band. Christine's the only one, besides Mick and John, who can span both eras. I seriously think articles will be praising her talents to the high heavens and could perhaps re-evaluate her significance to the band and as a female rock artist if this song is performed (and it's not just the limited, regurgitated Rumours set from The Dance). This is an extremely talented musician who's honestly never really gotten her due.

Last edited by bethelblues; 07-04-2014 at 07:43 AM..
Old 07-04-2014, 10:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Great idea. It's a proven great song (especially with Lindsey and Stevie on it!). And it would feel fresh for audiences today, as if it were a new, classic-worthy song. Now is the time. I wouldn't hate them if they re-recorded for the new album.

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 07-04-2014, 10:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Live performance of Why with Stevie and Lindsey (and a little of the "Never Going Back Again" riff): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4oec-I2Vl0
Old 07-04-2014, 12:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethelblues View Post
Live performance of Why with Stevie and Lindsey (and a little of the "Never Going Back Again" riff): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4oec-I2Vl0
Thanks for referencing those performances, which appeared on the late great Midnight Special.

I'm old enough to say I used to love watching it live on TV. I have an amazing set of DVDs (take note: no apostrophe!) that compile performances from each year of the show. (I bought it from watching an infomercial at two in the morning.). Those two performances are featured. That show is like a time capsule, and pulls you right back into a very different and diverse world. It's a treasure trove of music history.

Last edited by PenguinHead; 07-04-2014 at 12:39 PM..
Old 07-04-2014, 01:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethelblues View Post

Those were the days! Loved those vocals. I think I heard the Rumours line up do this on a boot before I heard the MTM version.
Old 07-04-2014, 03:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Midnight Special on DVD

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinHead View Post
Thanks for referencing those performances, which appeared on the late great Midnight Special.

I'm old enough to say I used to love watching it live on TV. I have an amazing set of DVDs (take note: no apostrophe!) that compile performances from each year of the show. (I bought it from watching an infomercial at two in the morning.). Those two performances are featured. That show is like a time capsule, and pulls you right back into a very different and diverse world. It's a treasure trove of music history.
I thought only "Over My Head" and "Rhiannon" have been released on commercial DVDs. If "Why" has been, I would like to obtain a copy.
Old 07-04-2014, 03:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbfan View Post
I thought only "Over My Head" and "Rhiannon" have been released on commercial DVDs. If "Why" has been, I would like to obtain a copy.
You're right. I remembered it wrong. Also on YouTube is a fantastic performance of "Miles Away," which I think was also from the Midnight Special, but wasn't included on the DVD set.
Old 07-04-2014, 03:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith77 View Post
Great idea. It's a proven great song (especially with Lindsey and Stevie on it!). And it would feel fresh for audiences today, as if it were a new, classic-worthy song. Now is the time. I wouldn't hate them if they re-recorded for the new album.
I would prefer just new songs on the new album. I can't imagine them going in reverse. 'Why' as it is on record is how it should stay.

Any attempts redo it forty-something years later will fall short, don't you think? But it could excel as a live performance, even better than the old clip we have. Fleetwood Mac's live "mini Mac" band of support musicians/singers would help make the song even stronger.
Old 07-04-2014, 06:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinHead
I have an amazing set of DVDs (take note: no apostrophe!)
To find someone who cares about (and understands!) the proper use of apostrophes is a delight. Thank you!
Old 07-04-2014, 07:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I concur, wholeheartedly! "Why" is my all time favorite Christine song. If they put this back in the live set, my head would explode with joy!

Isn't that a lovely visual?
Old 07-04-2014, 07:27 PM

'Why' gives me just as many tears as Songbird does. (If not more.) I love this tune.

I wish they covered the intro (guitar) and then went into the piano like they do on the album. I think the buildup in the intro makes the song really shine when it finally kicks in.

In the Bob Welch era, I believe Christine would play the piano intro to Come A LIttle Bit Closer, then go into Why. That was cool, but I rather have this incarnation play it as close to the album as possible.

I mean if we are going to have 10 other musicians out there, then just do it. And Christine, you need to be playing the soloing parts of every song in the set. NO pushing organ chords while Brett plays the solo parts. I hate that! Crap what am I saying Christine can do no wrong... carry on..
Old 07-04-2014, 08:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorcerer999 View Post
I concur, wholeheartedly! "Why" is my all time favorite Christine song. If they put this back in the live set, my head would explode with joy!

This