Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-26-2014, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shackin'up View Post
Come on elle, why are you mentioning a UK leg, when she talks about a European leg? Europe is slightly bigger than the UK, Thank god.
Let's put Elle in the Iron Maiden as punishment.
Old 06-26-2014, 10:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
How would you define the difference between a song that was a collaboration vs one that was cowritten? The distinction has baffled me ever since Stevie started touting Dave Stewart as the first person she'd ever written a song with.
It's a great question. In terms of copyright law, authoring a song has to do with the chords and melody, as well as the lyrics. It's whatever you might see on a sheet of music in a fake book, sans arrangement.

But even according to this definition of authorship, Stevie has skirted that line a number of times. Technically, the demos of "Dreams" and "Gypsy" were brought to the group with full lyrics, basic chord changes, and a melody. But a MASSIVE amount of arranging happened in there.

Christine's collaborations with Lindsey are probably a tad more organic, where she allows changes to melody and structure. I think of "Little Lies," a song she basically co-wrote with Eddy. I'm assuming some of the voicings are Lindsey's as well as the now-famous opening tag. Stevie would have kept her name on the song as sole songwriter. Christine, in the spirit of generosity, put it on. In some late 80s interview, she even said she wanted to credit Lindsey for helping on her songs because of his generous input.
Old 06-26-2014, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
It's a great question. In terms of copyright law, authoring a song has to do with the chords and melody, as well as the lyrics. It's whatever you might see on a sheet of music in a fake book, sans arrangement.

But even according to this definition of authorship, Stevie has skirted that line a number of times. Technically, the demos of "Dreams" and "Gypsy" were brought to the group with full lyrics, basic chord changes, and a melody. But a MASSIVE amount of arranging happened in there.

Christine's collaborations with Lindsey are probably a tad more organic, where she allows changes to melody and structure. I think of "Little Lies," a song she basically co-wrote with Eddy. I'm assuming some of the voicings are Lindsey's as well as the now-famous opening tag. Stevie would have kept her name on the song as sole songwriter. Christine, in the spirit of generosity, put it on. In some late 80s interview, she even said she wanted to credit Lindsey for helping on her songs because of his generous input.
I co-wrote a song with a guitar player. He had the A section which I didn't change one bit. He needed a B section and an outro. So I wrote the B section and outro. Hence, I got co-writer credit.

Now if the arranger changes a bits and pieces of the melody or chords.. it's not really a co-write. The arranger's job is to make it come off the page. I think LB should get arranging credits a lot more than he does.

Lindsey walks a fine line as writer and arranger. He oversteps (and thank the lord that he does) by changing lyrics or melodies and even riffs etc.
Old 06-26-2014, 07:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
ok, looked it up. in Javier Pacheco's Q&A sessions (http://www.fleetwoodmac.net/fwm/inde...131&Itemid=151) he quotes some of the lyrics:

In fact, one song in particular I have sung over and over again for the past thirty years--country and simple, but right on the mark. The lyrics go thusly: "Well there's a deep sense of a funny kind of love, ...when you look back on the way it really was. Kind of like a marriage after it has broken up; Well, there's a deep sense of a funny, ...kind of love." She was speaking of the coming downfall of FRITZ.

also (so i guess there were verses originally to funny kind of love, for some reason i was under the impression it was incomplete http://www.fleetwoodmac.net/fwm/inde...132&Itemid=152):

The two songs she wrote we performed with a minimum of changes or adulterations. ("Were Was I" and "Funny Kind of Love")

there was also a part which i can't find right now where he was discussing what he liked and didn't like about Lindsey's version of the song.

EDIT: the quote i remember was not in the penguin q&a, it was a comment on BN site http://www.buckinghamnicks.net/lb/un...deepdense.html:

"FRITZ BANDMEMBER JAVIER PACHECO speculates:

I finally listened to the song in question, Deep Dense. It is unmistakably a take-off on Stevie's song. The chords are also very similar. I have to think he wrote this to imply he was referring to his relationship with Stevie, I can think of no other reason for taking her song and altering it in this way.

I like what he does on guitar here. MY only problem with the song is that it doesn't seem to go to a climax. Dynamic-wise, it seems very flat to me. The industrial noises he adds to the grind of this piece seem (to me) to symbolize a kind of routine or mechanical repetition in his expression, like the grinding wheels that don't stop, like looking at a relationship you can't shake off. But I guess I get lost in some of Lindsey's ambiguities. The Stevie song "Funny Kind of Love" has no ambiguities, its very clear in what it is saying, very much to the point. IT is a country song but I kinda like it better than this newer version which to me, seems more controlled and almost cloaked in mystery."

Is Stevie's "Funny Kind of Love" floating around anywhere? or perhaps just retitled?
Old 06-27-2014, 07:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwyll View Post
Is Stevie's "Funny Kind of Love" floating around anywhere? or perhaps just retitled?
good question. maybe you all get it on that unreleased oldies album Stevie is putting out in october. wouldn't that be something? Lindsey fans trying to get Deep Dense released for ages, and Stevie releases her original version instead?

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 06-27-2014, 11:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
good question. maybe you all get it on that unreleased oldies album Stevie is putting out in october. wouldn't that be something? Lindsey fans trying to get Deep Dense released for ages, and Stevie releases her original version instead?
I would like to hear her medley. Lindsey's music to it is hypnotic. It's the way it's syncopated, so to me it's almost a chant rhythm, rather than a song. That draws me in and I think it matches the words of mechanically being pulled back again, almost against your will.

Michele
Old 06-28-2014, 10:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Great interview, thanks for posting!!

I found this statement to be particularly sweet.

"We just want to have fun on this tour, you know, we really want to enjoy each other's music and each other. It really is a joyful reunion."
Old 06-30-2014, 08:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

jwd: As long as that doesn't mean they play Rumours songs only annd anything else is a 'deep cut'

Also:
Quote:
Oh Daddy? Brown Eyes? C'MON MAN!

I'm still holding out for Isn't it Midnight or Over and Over.
AliceLover, I think I love you
But yeah, Tango and Tusk Christine songs need to come out, not rehashed oldies. Not that I wouldn't enjoy Brown Eyes if they sing it properly, though..

I would add Never Forget and Think About Me. They play the latter all the time on Sirius radio, time they played it live again.. if only there was more than 1.5 verses.
Old 06-30-2014, 05:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The UK leg of this tour will be the first time since 1980 that they've toured there as the original five (rumours line up). They didn't go to the UK on the 'Mirage' tour or 'The Dance' tour.
Old 06-30-2014, 07:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wdm6789 View Post
I would actually like the final encore to be songbird. It would be very fitting.
Fitting, but so predictable. If they are going to rehash all their well-worn standards, changing it up will at least make it seem fresher. If they close the set with Christine song, how about a surprise cut such as Why? Why not?
Old 06-30-2014, 07:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I wouldn't refer to it as an oldies album. If those demos were not circulated and unheard, they would be new to us.
Old 06-30-2014, 07:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Funny how Richard Dashut isn't mentioned. .......
Old 06-30-2014, 07:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
I doubt that Christine means that Lindsey actually co-wrote with Stevie. I think Christine is referring to collaborations, Gypsy, Dreams, etc. Those are co-writes in Christine's mind.

Michele
I think what Christine meant is that Lindsey knows how to interpret, develop and render Stevie's songs, especially since he's also a producer. Christine has never had that role.
Old 06-30-2014, 10:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinHead View Post
Fitting, but so predictable. If they are going to rehash all their well-worn standards, changing it up will at least make it seem fresher. If they close the set with Christine song, how about a surprise cut such as Why? Why not?
I'm obsessed with Why and have been listening to it over the past few days (including it in my most recent setlist brainstorming)! I think it is a fantastic song that has been forgotten in the known history of Fleetwood Mac. I believe that bands have a duty to remind fans, critics, and the public of their oeuvre when it is not endlessly studied/returned to and FM is doing a serious disservice to a period of outstanding music that can really boost their significance even more in conversations of greatest bands of all time. I was so mad when I saw publications, including the usually knowledgable (and upper brow) Village Voice, listing top Christine songs upon her return to the band and passing over everything pre-1975 as well as her best deep-cuts (Oh Daddy, Isn't It Midnight, Over and Over). When I hear Why I think of how it serves as a wonderful synthesis of genres: blues, rock ballad, gospel even (I can hear an Aretha + choir version in my head). Christine really is one of the all-time great singer-songwriters, when there really are so few female rock stars out there who can actually write with something meaningful to say. So many of them attach themselves to songs to reap the royalties when they played almost no role in the writing or arranging process. I'd love to hear Why live to see that the band honors its past before Stevie and Lindsey. Christine did say that Mystery to Me was in her top two favorite FM albums. And if it does get played, I'd love to read reviews that pick up on that lost blues era of FM.
Old 07-01-2014, 04:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by James89 View Post
The UK leg of this tour will be the first time since 1980 that they've toured there as the original five (rumours line up). They didn't go to the UK on the 'Mirage' tour or 'The Dance' tour.
This line-up of the band have only ever played 15 concerts in the UK (7 in 1977, 8 in 1980 in addition to the Brits performance in 1998 and the O2 renditions of Don't Stop in 2014.

It's about ******* time!

Last edited by Mr Scarrott; 07-01-2014 at 05:15 AM.. Reason: changed 1979 to 1980