Monday Morning
The Chain
Gold Dust Woman
Love In Store
Seven Wonders
Everywhere
Old 07-13-2014, 04:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

My vote's for Tusk. I want to hear Mick use the cymbals to build suspense (they always seem to do a little percussion intro after the crickets and prior to the song starting) before launching into the pounding opening drums in the dark in the faster, 2004 version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinHead View Post
I like your encore selections!

There is something to be said for not starting the bar level at 10. Where do you go from there? Sometimes it's good to start in the middle and build up the energy from there. It's not as if Fleetwood Mac has to hype up their audience from the start. A large percent of the audience are already in that state, especially knowing that Christine is on stage.
Landslide needs to come at the end. It would be most effective in that position, when people are wondering when they will play it and may be most emotionally connected to the song. And like I said about The Chain, I just like the idea that as this group comes together again after 16 years apart that this is their final joint statement to the audience. Through thick and thin, extended periods away from the band, retirements, sicknesses, aging, the chain will keep us together.

I wonder, though, for anyone who remembers seeing Songbird, did it lose some of its potency as the final song if people were already exiting the arena? Maybe that's why Stevie never does Landslide as an encore?
Old 07-13-2014, 04:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethelblues View Post
My vote's for Tusk. I want to hear Mick use the cymbals to build suspense (they always seem to do a little percussion intro after the crickets and prior to the song starting) before launching into the pounding opening drums in the dark in the faster, 2004 version.

Landslide needs to come at the end. It would be most effective in that position, when people are wondering when they will play it and may be most emotionally connected to the song. And like I said about The Chain, I just like the idea that as this group comes together again after 16 years apart that this is their final joint statement to the audience. Through thick and thin, extended periods away from the band, retirements, sicknesses, aging, the chain will keep us together.

I wonder, though, for anyone who remembers seeing Songbird, did it lose some of its potency as the final song if people were already exiting the arena? Maybe that's why Stevie never does Landslide as an encore?
Yes! Good call. Landslide would be a great closer, but that doesn't mean the exclusion of Songbird, which could be performed somewhere else, like in the fan proposed "acoustic set." Just because Landslide, like many other songs, has never been a closing song, why assume it's not a possibility? Walk outs during the last song at a show isn't an issue at all. The majority stays to very end, enthralled! For the the handful of those who leave before the show ends, it has little-to-none impact among thousands of rabid fans who forked out hundreds of dollars to experience the ride of their life until the end.

Imagine people wanting to walk out of a great movie, and missing the ending because they want to beat the crowds and get to the parking lot first. Those aren't fans, they are a small minority, usually with tired/sick kids, or have a babysitter and they don't want to pay them overtime...scenarios and reasons similar to that, or they just idiots who aren't die-hard fans, and don't have the patience to deal with a crowd.

Believe me, the times I've seen Christine close a show with Songbird , or even they when closed the Say You Will show with Goodbye Baby, no one walks away. It's like church (but I'm not religious). All things music and Fleetwood Mac is my church, and The Ledge is my place of worship. (Though I do stray to countless other sects aka bands/artists.) God help me...organize all of my media, and the thousands of downloads on my external hard drive.

Last edited by PenguinHead; 07-14-2014 at 04:24 AM..