Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-27-2015, 03:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Remembrances of 1982 - The Mirage era

I've seen the Mirage concert video countless times. I even have the original video cassette. But every time I stumble on it on YouTube, I'm compelled to watch it, though I always lament the missing numbers. I'd love to hear any stories or thought from other Ledgies who saw them on that tour.

Entering the eighties, Fleetwood Mac was a very transitional state. One year prior to the release of Mirage, both Stevie and Lindsey released their debut solo albums. Lindsey proclaimed that his album was better than hers, but Stevie's commercial success overshadowed his more esoteric record. Having established herself as a viable solo artist, independent of the band, Stevie must have gone into the Mirage sessions with the wind under her sails and larger ego. It was just a mere three years between Tusk and Mirage, but back then it was like lifetime. In the media, Mirage was celebrated as a band reunion.

I attended my first Fleetwood Mac show on this relatively short tour. Buying tickets for shows in that seemingly prehistoric time before the internet was an arduous ordeal. Tickets were usually sold at record/media stores; they were spit out of some sort of a printer. So to have the best chance of getting preferred seating, you had to show up at the store around midnight/or early before daylight, line up/camp out until the store opened. It was sort of social scene, as die-hard fans mingled among each other. Some brought provisions: blankets, food, drinks and boomboxes.

There's a stark contrast in the show arena experience between then and now. Corporate and commercial influences were not so dominant. The atmosphere was looser. There was very little promotional advertising bombardment, and a sparse amount of merchandise. Since smoking was allowed, it was easier to get away with smoking pot. Technology was low tech, so there were no large video screens, minimal stage productions, no audience members more preoccupied with capturing the show on their phone than being in the moment of it.

The appeal of the Mirage tour is that it was the last time the band performed without any support players -- no extra singers, musicians or technical flourishes. They featured only a few songs from the album - Love in Store, Hold Me, Eyes of the World, Gypsy. Welcome selections would have been Wish You Were Here, Can't Go Back, Only Over You, Oh Diane, Straight Back and That's Alright. The video featured epic performances of Not That Funny. The Chain, Gypsy and Sisters of the Moon.

I think Lindsey's performance of Not That Funny is the best live version ever! It showcases his quirky nature so unusual and quirky. With that long performance combined with I'm So Afraid, Stevie had a lot of off stage time to rest or snort coke. Notably, she did stayon stage for You Make Loving Fun, yet she didn't contribute any background vocals or discernible tambourine parts. She just served as a visual counterpoint, oddly moving around, using her tambourine more as a prop than as an instrument. It's really a disservice to fans that this historic video has never been restored and released for their fans. On the reasonable assumption that they filmed the whole show, I hope the the rest of of footage remains intact so the entire concert can be reassembled.

Last edited by PenguinHead; 02-27-2015 at 05:23 AM..
Old 02-27-2015, 10:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I was alittle slow upstairs in my mind and to get my fat a$$ out to this tour probably because I was knee deep into true country music and country shows at the time.I end up not paying attention to the local pop rock radio station concert promotions was the issue then.

I'm so happy to see the 5 sum back on stage on this tour and I wish they could play Hold Me .

Now since I'm not focus on todays so called country music gives me all the time in the world to focus on FM and its members.

The radio stations here loved the album and played the crap out of it.When I was changing the radio dial from country station to country station.I stopped tuning and frozed when I heard Stevie's voice when Gypsy was on and move on after she was done.

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016

Last edited by Macfanforever; 02-27-2015 at 10:23 AM..
Old 02-27-2015, 12:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinHead View Post
I've seen the Mirage concert video countless times. I even have the original video cassette. But every time I stumble on it on YouTube, I'm compelled to watch it, though I always lament the missing numbers. I'd love to hear any stories or thought from other Ledgies who saw them on that tour.

Entering the eighties, Fleetwood Mac was a very transitional state. One year prior to the release of Mirage, both Stevie and Lindsey released their debut solo albums. Lindsey proclaimed that his album was better than hers, but Stevie's commercial success overshadowed his more esoteric record. Having established herself as a viable solo artist, independent of the band, Stevie must have gone into the Mirage sessions with the wind under her sails and larger ego. It was just a mere three years between Tusk and Mirage, but back then it was like lifetime. In the media, Mirage was celebrated as a band reunion.

I attended my first Fleetwood Mac show on this relatively short tour. Buying tickets for shows in that seemingly prehistoric time before the internet was an arduous ordeal. Tickets were usually sold at record/media stores; they were spit out of some sort of a printer. So to have the best chance of getting preferred seating, you had to show up at the store around midnight/or early before daylight, line up/camp out until the store opened. It was sort of social scene, as die-hard fans mingled among each other. Some brought provisions: blankets, food, drinks and boomboxes.

There's a stark contrast in the show arena experience between then and now. Corporate and commercial influences were not so dominant. The atmosphere was looser. There was very little promotional advertising bombardment, and a sparse amount of merchandise. Since smoking was allowed, it was easier to get away with smoking pot. Technology was low tech, so there were no large video screens, minimal stage productions, no audience members more preoccupied with capturing the show on their phone than being in the moment of it.

The appeal of the Mirage tour is that it was the last time the band performed without any support players -- no extra singers, musicians or technical flourishes. They featured only a few songs from the album - Love in Store, Hold Me, Eyes of the World, Gypsy. Welcome selections would have been Wish You Were Here, Can't Go Back, Only Over You, Oh Diane, Straight Back and That's Alright. The video featured epic performances of Not That Funny. The Chain, Gypsy and Sisters of the Moon.

I think Lindsey's performance of Not That Funny is the best live version ever! It showcases his quirky nature so unusual and quirky. With that long performance combined with I'm So Afraid, Stevie had a lot of off stage time to rest or snort coke. Notably, she did stayon stage for You Make Loving Fun, yet she didn't contribute any background vocals or discernible tambourine parts. She just served as a visual counterpoint, oddly moving around, using her tambourine more as a prop than as an instrument. It's really a disservice to fans that this historic video has never been restored and released for their fans. On the reasonable assumption that they filmed the whole show, I hope the the rest of of footage remains intact so the entire concert can be reassembled.
it's a sin that the producers of the Mirage tour video chopped it up into little pieces, but in that time full length concerts weren't that popular. If memory serves it was filmed over two nights in LA so I'm sure both shows exist somewhere in the entirety. I would love to see it.

I remember it all...you just had to fall...
Old 02-27-2015, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheart View Post
it's a sin that the producers of the Mirage tour video chopped it up into little pieces, but in that time full length concerts weren't that popular. If memory serves it was filmed over two nights in LA so I'm sure both shows exist somewhere in the entirety. I would love to see it.
Speaking of lost Fleetwood Mac concert footage of the Mirage tour, where is the famous Us festival show gone?
The last update about the Us festival documentary has been a year ago.
Old 02-27-2015, 01:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Most concert vids are hacked up.I dont know why they just let the cameras roll though the complete show.Big freaking deal they get a couple non hit tunes.

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016
Old 02-27-2015, 01:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfanforever View Post
Most concert vids are hacked up.I dont know why they just let the cameras roll though the complete show.Big freaking deal they get a couple non hit tunes.
The trend seems to be changing. The Dance and Live in Boston were pretty much the entire show, as was Stevie's Soundstage (the only song excluded was BATB, which I will never understand!).

I remember it all...you just had to fall...
Old 02-28-2015, 10:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

I love Mirage and the tour too. I think Stevie and Chris were the most beautiful then...early 30's for Stevie......making 30s look great!
I saw the Mirage tour on HBO and was floored by the live performances. I think they were on top of their game and it was the end of an era for the band. It also is a true live recording unlike the Tango or Stevie's Red Rocks show which was over dubbed with lip syncing. Its a shame it was only like 18 shows or something.
I love Mirage as an album too.
Old 02-28-2015, 11:21 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinHead View Post
I saw the California shows, and as I recall thought the City of Hope show was the best—the most committed and intense. The extra star power from the Eagles probably gave the evening more electricity.

Quote:
The appeal of the Mirage tour is that it was the last time the band performed without any support players -- no extra singers, musicians or technical flourishes.
Might be more accurate to say that support players didn't spend the entire show set up onstage. But for this song or that song, they were in the mix. Jeff Sova, whose main job was keyboard tech, played Oberheim on HOLD ME and TUSK. But of course you're right—it's nothing like these days, where Fleetwood Mac is a ten-piece.

We don't often talk about it (in fact, never) but somebody put a fake clavinet on YOU MAKE LOVING FUN only for the HBO video. They didn't do that for the actual performances. But there it is in the video.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 03-01-2015, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
I saw the California shows, and as I recall thought the City of Hope show was the best—the most committed and intense. The extra star power from the Eagles probably gave the evening more electricity.

Might be more accurate to say that support players didn't spend the entire show set up onstage. But for this song or that song, they were in the mix. Jeff Sova, whose main job was keyboard tech, played Oberheim on HOLD ME and TUSK. But of course you're right—it's nothing like these days, where Fleetwood Mac is a ten-piece.

We don't often talk about it (in fact, never) but somebody put a fake clavinet on YOU MAKE LOVING FUN only for the HBO video. They didn't do that for the actual performances. But there it is in the video.
I love it, too!! She plays it on pedals. ;0)