Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
Closed Thread

Old 08-16-2004, 08:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissention
Darling, I get criticized and reprimanded for calling some of Stevie's songs "garbage," it's just par for the course these days.

I'm not offended at someone expressing their views on it, even if they hate it, but I have to wonder why people who criticize me for such harsh language when referring to tunes use that same harsh language when referring to SMAP. The language doesn't bother me one bit because I'm just as harsh. But don't call me out next time or I'll have to throw the "hypocrisy" word around and eventually put a "Rescind the Strike!" in my signature.
It's exceedingly funny how things get twisted so.

I've never called anyone on the way they critique songs, but rather the way they talk to others. As I've said... until I'm blue in the face... it's one thing to say a song sucks, it's another thing to say that someone who likes it (or dislikes it) isn't smart enough to know better, or leave them to feel as if their intelligence is being called into question by harsh comments and implications.

I don't care what's said about the songs... they don't have feelings. I care about the people here, and their feelings.
Old 08-16-2004, 08:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by face of glass
Traditionally on this board certain members have reminded other members of the fact that saying something sucks is quite different from saying one doesn't care for the song/album/whatever (see Wetcamelfood's post, the last one in the linked thread). I understand this personally. While it's easy to say that everyone on this board speaks for themselves, and that everything people type here should be taken with a grain of salt, it's not as simple in reality. Things like "IMO" are usually put there to cool things down.
To me, whenever anyone makes a VALUE judgment on something, they are stating an opinion. I dont need "IMO" to tell me that.

It does annoy me, however, when someone OVERLTLY PRETENDS that their judgment isn't an opinion, but fact. You know, the posts that have injected "No question about it" or "You can't deny this" or something to that effect. When such statements are not there, implicitly, we can take it to mean that the poster understands that what they are saying is an opinion that is not shared by everyone.

But then again, that's JMHO.

(Sorry, couldn't resist, lol).

Old 08-16-2004, 09:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Stew
I've never called anyone on the way they critique songs, but rather the way they talk to others. As I've said... until I'm blue in the face... it's one thing to say a song sucks, it's another thing to say that someone who likes it (or dislikes it) isn't smart enough to know better, or leave them to feel as if their intelligence is being called into question by harsh comments and implications.

I don't care what's said about the songs... they don't have feelings. I care about the people here, and their feelings.
Exactly! The whole "My opinions on ____ are shared by all smart people" (implied: because I am just that infallibly brilliant) is so laughable. Last time I checked, having an exaggerated-to-the point-of-delusional sene of self-importance didn't require too many brain cells. Quite the opposite.

Old 08-16-2004, 09:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Once again, "Save Me A Place" gets my vote. I don't like it and I don't have to say why.
Old 08-16-2004, 09:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default Round 3

Oh, and my vote is once again for Never Forget. Come on people, look at these lyrics: "Come on, baby, now don't you be cold. Just remember that love is gold." Can we get more cliched? Barf.

Let me put in a plug for people to save "That's Enough for Me" - it's brilliant in its simplicity. Such a fun song! Give it another listen!

All this is JMHO, of course. hehe.

Old 08-16-2004, 09:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Round 3

That's All For Everyone
Old 08-16-2004, 09:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default 3

That's All For Everyone.....

-curt
Old 08-16-2004, 09:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Still hating Sara over here.
Old 08-16-2004, 09:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Never Make Me Cry is making me hurl.
Old 08-16-2004, 09:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Still trying to get rid of The Ledge....Bye!

"We listen to their voices, ignoring our own voice" Stevie - SOTM
"I keep the dream in my pocket, never let it fade away" Lindsey - TITN
Old 08-16-2004, 09:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

That's All For Everyone
Old 08-16-2004, 09:58 PM
Ledgie

That's All For Everyone is not for me...
Old 08-16-2004, 10:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodascouts
Oh, and my vote is once again for Never Forget. Come on people, look at these lyrics: "Come on, baby, now don't you be cold. Just remember that love is gold." Can we get more cliched? Barf.
Yep, those are some pretty awful lyrics there. But I love that song in the way that many people love "Save me a Place" for the music, production, harmonies, etc., not for the lyrics. Although I have to admit that every once in awhile, something totally cliche and shallow really affects me. "Come on baby, could you ever be just a little close to me," is exquisite to me for some reason, and even more so with Christine's vocals, of course. Just IMO, of course.

Hillary
Old 08-16-2004, 10:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

That's All For Everyone....how many times do I have to vote for you before you take a hike??
Old 08-16-2004, 10:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Can I have a RECOUNT?

I went back and noticed that you made a mistake in the votes for That's All For Everyone in Round 1. TAFE and NTF both had 5 votes in round 1. So technically they are both still tied and Not That Funny hasn't been voted out.

He Will Burn You Down
Closed Thread