Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-03-2014, 08:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default RIAA Certification

I just looked at the latest Billboard 200 charts which were published today, and noticed that 'Rumours' has charted yet again. This time it's at #139 with approximately 2,000 copies sold but the album hasn't received a certification since March 2003. I'm 99.9% sure that the album has sold/shipped at least another million copies in more than 11 years which means it's surely due for a 20xPlatinum certification from the RIAA.

1988's 'Greatest Hits' is also a regular on the Billboard 200 and appeared as recently as last week, charting at #162. That album hasn't been certified in over 14 years and has DEFINITELY sold/shipped another million copies since then, meaning a certification of 9xPlatinum or higher is needed.

1975's 'Fleetwood Mac' hasn't been certified since 1986, and I know for a fact that it's sold just over a million copies since 1991 which means that it's DEFINITELY due for a certification of 6xPlatinum or higher.

2002's 'The Very Best of' has also sold over 1.5 million copies, and is a 2CD set meaning that it is eligible for a 3xPlatinum certification. At the moment it is certified only Platinum.

The albums I have listed are ones that I am sure that require a higher certification, but it is the same story with Stevie's albums:

'Bella Donna' hasn't been certified in over 24 years, and I know that it has sold approximately a million copies since 1991, meaning it too requires a higher certification. I remember seeing something on this forum mentioning a 5xPlatinum certification that occurred in 2004 but was withdrawn. I'm not sure if that's correct but even so, the album needs a higher certification.

'Crystal Visions' has sold approximately 510,000 copies meaning that too is eligible for a Gold certification.

There may even be more of Fleetwood Mac and Stevie's albums that need a higher certification, but let's wait and see if anything happens when Stevie's new album and Fleetwood Mac's new album come out. Hopefully then the RIAA will get to work and sort all of these out.

If anyone has anymore albums or even singles that they think need a certification or a higher certification (I know 'Landslide' is one of them), then be sure to post. I'm also interested on people's views on this subject. Be sure to post!!!
Old 07-03-2014, 09:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I'd love to see Tusk be re-certified. Anyone know the last time it was? I've always just seen 2 million, the same as Mirage. I'm sure it's more than that. So many saw it as a flop since it didn't sell as many as Rumours, but it's become more popular in recent years, so I'd love to see that idea put to bed (not that it will ever sell anywhere near Rumours, but I definitely think more than Mirage, which was seen as their return to Rumours territory).

The only thing is, many people don't buy albums anymore; they just pick and choose the songs they like, so even if you have most songs off of an album, you still wouldn't count as having bought it.
Old 07-03-2014, 09:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montclare View Post
I'd love to see Tusk be re-certified. Anyone know the last time it was? I've always just seen 2 million, the same as Mirage. I'm sure it's more than that. So many saw it as a flop since it didn't sell as many as Rumours, but it's become more popular in recent years, so I'd love to see that idea put to bed (not that it will ever sell anywhere near Rumours, but I definitely think more than Mirage, which was seen as their return to Rumours territory).

The only thing is, many people don't buy albums anymore; they just pick and choose the songs they like, so even if you have most songs off of an album, you still wouldn't count as having bought it.
I didn't include 'Tusk' in the list, but I agree with you. It's sold about 300,000 copies since 1991 so I think it should really be certified 3xPlatinum as it must have shipped/sold over 2 million copies before then. 'Tusk' has also proven to be quite popular in recent years and I know that it needs to be certified at least 2xPlatinum in the UK.

'Mirage', however, was #1 for five weeks and was #2 for a further eleven weeks so surely it should've sold more than 2 million copies? If anyone knows any weekly sales figures for 'Mirage' please post as this has always confused me as an album that is #1 for five weeks and then #2 for a further eleven weeks in a time when the top 10 sold around 100,000 copies a week must've surely sold more than that.....
Old 07-03-2014, 07:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Ka ching!
Old 07-05-2014, 11:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by James89 View Post
I didn't include 'Tusk' in the list, but I agree with you. It's sold about 300,000 copies since 1991 so I think it should really be certified 3xPlatinum as it must have shipped/sold over 2 million copies before then. 'Tusk' has also proven to be quite popular in recent years and I know that it needs to be certified at least 2xPlatinum in the UK.

'Mirage', however, was #1 for five weeks and was #2 for a further eleven weeks so surely it should've sold more than 2 million copies? If anyone knows any weekly sales figures for 'Mirage' please post as this has always confused me as an album that is #1 for five weeks and then #2 for a further eleven weeks in a time when the top 10 sold around 100,000 copies a week must've surely sold more than that.....
I've always wondered about the sales of Tusk and Mirage. Does anyone know when Tango in the Night was last certified? Someone on UKMix said that Rumours has sold over 500,000 copies in the US since 2009, surely it's surpassed 20 million in the US by now? I wouldn't be surprised if the band's total US sales are around the 60 million mark.
Old 07-05-2014, 02:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by He's So Unusual View Post
I've always wondered about the sales of Tusk and Mirage. Does anyone know when Tango in the Night was last certified? Someone on UKMix said that Rumours has sold over 500,000 copies in the US since 2009, surely it's surpassed 20 million in the US by now? I wouldn't be surprised if the band's total US sales are around the 60 million mark.
'Tango In The Night' was last certified in October 2000 at 3xPlatinum, so I doubt that needs a new certification.

As I said, 'Rumours' should surely be certified 20xPlatinum by now and I definitely think if you added all sales from the Peter Green era albums all the way up to now, they must have sold around 60 million albums in the US and that's excluding singles.

As I said previously, if anyone has any info on weekly sales of 'Mirage' and possibly 'Tusk' then it would be much appreciated as I would like to know if they're in need of a new certification. (They probably are, especially 'Tusk').
Old 07-10-2014, 08:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

On the subject of 'Rumours' being certified 20xPlatinum, the album has climbed the Billboard 200 to reach #99, up from #139 last week. This is the first time in a while that 'Rumours' has been within the top 100 and it's probably due to the fact that the album is on offer with Amazon at $3.99.