Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-23-2008, 03:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Early Road Stories

Upstairs (pre-Rumours) I was just reading a passage from Dinky Dawson's book about how Janis Joplin seduced (well, it was more forceful than seduction, actually) Danny. She chased after him because he was young. Made me wonder if Janis was ever interested in Lindsey when he opened for her. With Kind of Woman Stevie said she was worried about Lindsey being on the road alone because he was so "beautiful." I wonder who did approach him. It would probably be surprising.

Michele
Old 02-23-2008, 04:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

^^^
Intriguing question...

I wanna know if anybody caught him...

...he seemed engrossed in his music and his guitar...

...he seemed kind of immature/inexperienced, maybe kinda nerdy....

...and only had hands for his instrument.........

...(guitar, that is.)

Didn't Stevie say, he preferred to sleep with his guitar, than her, or something like that??? I can't remember the exact quote.
Old 02-23-2008, 07:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsy View Post
^^^

Didn't Stevie say, he preferred to sleep with his guitar, than her, or something like that??? I can't remember the exact quote.
She said that she had to pry his guitar out of his hands at night, so he could sleep in a normal position. He is very focused, which is probably why he seems so monogamous. He just doesn't have time for the distractions. The Janis story made me laugh with John telling Danny he had no way out. With Lindsey on the UTS tour, he'd tease Brett endlessly about his love life, but within FM, since we don't really see a lot of the 3 men by themselves, we don't know what they talk about together. We don't get a lot of that male banter. Michele
Old 02-24-2008, 11:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

True. I enjoyed reading the Ledge during the UTS Tour. The before-during-and-after-concert reports were interesting. I think once the tour progressed, things got looser....this was evidenced through posted photos by Ledgies...

The reports of things yelled out the open limousine windows and then attributed to Brett were shocking and funny. I still go back and read some of the stories which are available through the search tool.

I am sure that things do get wild on the road...and one only knows by first hand experience, exactly how crazy or how stressful. I would have loved to hear or read an insider's version of the night in Lincoln, NE....like, was the mood somber, or did the roadies enjoy the break?

I did enjoy reading parts of Carol Ann Harris's STORMS which seemed to ring true of what it was like on the tours, (which reminded me of accounts of what it was like to be on tour with Elvis.)

The part (in STORMS), at which I remember laughing outloud, was her section on LB using a designer boot as a urinal while in a limo in Paris (?) London (?) and then nonchantly throwing the boot away as he walked into the hotel with just a sock on one foot. (Who hasn't had the bathroom break fear while riding in a car...and then improvised with what was at hand...or headed to the side of the road...)

I like reading the articles that you find, michelej1, especially the *human* ones...which make the rock star less of an icon and more like everyday folk.
Old 02-25-2008, 12:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Janice Joplin's conquest of Danny Kirwan actually doesn't surprise me too much: he was a cute boy and she was a notable man eater with a taste for Jack and innocence. Lindsey, no matter what stage of his development, would seem to me too sophisticated to be cowed by that, too self-possessed to attract someone like Janet. If he caught any woman's attention, it would probably be those looking for an intense musical personality...

I could be wrong. Just some thoughts.
Old 02-25-2008, 12:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Janis Joplin....the name brings up a woman, whose hygiene didn't seem to fit..."cleanliness is next to godliness"...

But...maybe there were other factors like being rich & famous...that were seductive...

(Sorry but I never cared for Janis Joplin... and when Stevie imitated her, I liked Stevie even less.)

Also thanks aleuzzi for the clarification... and I loved your line about "intense musical personality" --very clever word choice!

Now off to read Pre-Rumours...
Old 02-25-2008, 03:38 AM
Senior Ledgie

I think many of us would agree that Lindsey likes to be in command of things, in charge, giving direction. Something going on with the likes of the very famous Janis Joplin would take that away from him. I don't even see any desire on Lindsey's part for it.
I love the story's between Stevie and Lindsey about prying away the guitar. This guy is if anything, completely focused on what he's doing. And who's benefiting from all of that dedication?? We Are!!

Old 02-25-2008, 01:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JbbyStew86 View Post
I think many of us would agree that Lindsey likes to be in command of things, in charge, giving direction.
That's what I find interesting about the Fritz days. I'd like to know more about them. Stevie will say, "Lindsey wasn't the boss of that band!" What were their frustrations back then about not choosing what to sing, not doing so much of their own writing, Lindsey not even playing his chosen instrument. Was he unhappy. When they came into FM, even though they were making money and seemed to click almost automatically, it's clear Lindsey didn't take the backseat as the "new boy." He started with a sense of wanting to guide the direction from day one. But it wasn't like that in Fritz. So, knowing more about the metamorphosis would be interesting to me.

I laugh sometimes thinking about him. I'm sure with his voice and demeanor, after a show in the old days, people from other bands would come into the dressing room and think that Lindsey was shy and quiet with a sweet personality and walk away with that impression, while the Macsters were going, "uh, he's Mussolini!"

Michele
Old 02-25-2008, 03:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I read a book by Bob Brunning on Fleetwood Mac. (Wasn't Bob a member of the band at one time?)

As I read the book, it seemed to have a "sour grapes" approach. When he referred to Lindsey (and not in an admiring fashion) he made some snide remark like ~ "He's destined to forever sing with girls." or something along those lines... (Lindsey has a high register and sings like a girl?)

I didn't know if Brunning was still sore about having not made the grade...and therefore was negative?

...and I wonder if Mussolini sang the high parts when he sang in the choir?
Old 02-25-2008, 04:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

One more thought....

I do think Mr. Buckingham is a perfectionist AND a gifted, talented genius. I think he's spent so much time in his home studio that he missed life that was going on around him.... perhaps cultural things.... movies .... computers ... videogames ... But it was probably stuff that didn't interest him.

I either read or heard his comments about growing up and listening to his parents' records and to the musical instruments...saying..."What made that noise?"

I wonder what his parents thought...and if they recognized his genius...
Old 02-25-2008, 05:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsy View Post
I wonder what his parents thought...and if they recognized his genius...
His parents probably didn't recognize any "genius" but I laughed in the UTS interviews when Lindsey insisted that he wasn't an aberrant part of the family and even though he would hole himself up for hours listening to the same record that he still got into sports and other activities with the rest of his family. I thought that the man doth protest too much and if Jeff didn't love him so much, he could probably tell us that, yes, Lindsey was a weird kid!

Lindsey said that now, in retrospect, as a parent himself, he realizes that his parents must have said to themselves, "What's the matter with Lindsey?" when he spent so much time listening to the same stuff.

I think it's a good sign of support that Lindsey's dad gave him room in the coffee plant to record in. Did he do it because he respected his son's dream or just because the kid was a pain and he was willing to do anything to get him to shut up? Too bad his father died too early to know any of Lindsey's success. But a good thing that his mother lived just long enough to see him settle down and become a father.

Michele