Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-27-2007, 06:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Best Concerts of 2007

From the Argus Leader

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...131/COLUMNISTS

1. Modest Mouse at the Ramkota Exhibit Hall: Even in a venue with questionable acoustics, this show was so compelling it felt like a whacko live art performance as frontman Brock literally sliced his chest open while howling like a ticked off pirate singing slyly melodic alt-rock songs. Supposedly, Brock told his sound man, "My voice is shot. If I can't sing I can still bleed."

2. Elton John in the Sioux Falls Arena: The most buzzed about concert of this millennium lived up to the hype as Sir Elton sounded like a true legend.

3. Susan Tedeschi at JazzFest: The perfect blend of passion and technical precision, the blues woman sang like a siren stealing our ears and hearts.

4. Propaghandi at Nutty's North: In a room so full the ceiling seemed to be sweaty, this Canadian punk band was at once unhinged and precise with a fierce stage presence.

5. Lindsey Buckingham at the Washington Pavilion: The former Fleetwood Mac frontman managed to make his classic rock motif feel contemporary.
Old 12-28-2007, 02:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

http://www2.tbo.com/content/2007/dec...y-top-10-2007/

Curtis Ross: My Top CDs of 2007

Every year I wonder if I'll find 10 albums for my best-of list. This year, like most, I did, along with nearly as many worthy runners-up and at least that many possible finalists I never even got around to listening to.

So here's my Top 10 in alphabetical order. If your favorite is missing, just assume it was my No. 11 or 12.

The Dillinger Escape Plan, "Ire Works": Adding pop craft to brute force and indomitable chops made DEP's latest frightening in its magnificence.

Ditchflowers, "Carried Away": You'd have to return to the best of Elvis Costello, Squeeze and XTC to find pop this intelligent, well-crafted and ear-caressingly fine. No truth to the rumor that Tampa area songwriters are seeking antitrust legislation against this teaming of Brian Merrill and Ed Woltil. They'd have a case, though.

Field Music, "Tones of Town": Smart if jaundiced lyrics, Steely Dan sophistication and Beach Boys sunshine — absolutely stunning.

Giddy-Up Helicopter!, "I Am Secretary": A rare combination of tunefulness and experimentalism — one of the brightest lights on Tampa's music scene.

Lifetime, "Lifetime": The best (only good?) thing Pete Wentz has ever done is give these hardcore heroes a second life. Twenty-five minutes of speed, wit and hooks.

Radiohead, "In Rainbows": The radical marketing scheme got all the press, but the music was a return to the warmer and more accessible sounds of "The Bends."

Rilo Kiley, "Under the Blacklight": A coming-out party for these indie-rockers, who have matured into stellar pop craftspeople without losing a bit of their originality and edge.

Bruce Springsteen, "Magic": Angry, impassioned, melodic and his most listenable album since "The River."

Wilco, "Sky Blue Sky": Jeff Tweedy lets the clouds part and finds out life's beauty often balances out its horror. Brave, optimistic and beautiful.

Amy Winehouse, "Back to Black": Brilliant update of '60s girl-group and '50s torch singing. Pray she lives to make another album. Or just lives.

Curtis Ross: My Top Concerts of 2007

Here are 10 occasions when I was glad I left the house this year.

Little Richard (March 7, Florida Strawberry Festival, Plant City): OK, it wasn't the Little Richard of those great archival films. But he's lost nothing in the way of attitude. The architect of rock 'n' roll went past curfew in this memorable, rollicking performance. Who was gonna stop him?

Lindsey Buckingham (March 7, Tampa Theatre, Tampa): A fiery set of solo and Fleetwood Mac material, some drastically reworked, delivered at peak intensity.

The Decemberists (April 8, Hard Rock Live, Orlando): Balloon animal hats, papier-mâché whales and Brian Eno's "I'll Come Running." Oh, and all those wonderful Colin Meloy songs.

Flaming Lips (April 14, Jannus Landing, St. Petersburg): Equal parts hilarious and poignant, this was classic rock re-imagined as both tongue-in-cheek spectacle and life-affirming gesture.

Oakley Hall (May 16, Tampa Bay Performing Arts Center, Morsani Hall, Tampa): This Brooklyn outfit sounded Southern-bred and played music that was as transcendent as its roots were deep.

Sugarland (June 2, Ford Amphitheater, Tampa): Tons more fun than headliner Kenny Chesney, this duo deserves top billing. Catch 'em at the Strawberry Festival in March and see for yourself.

Morrissey (July 12, Ruth Eckerd Hall, Clearwater): His first Tampa area performance in almost 10 years was a thrilling reminder of why, with all the ups and downs, we continue to love Morrissey.

Alice in Chains (Oct. 6, Ford Amphitheater, Tampa): All the old rising-from-the-ashes cliches apply. With new singer William DuVall, Alice in Chains returned to life with such force that headliner Velvet Revolver's set barely registered.

My Chemical Romance (Aug. 11, Ford Amphitheater, Tampa): The band's headlining slot at the Forum earlier in the year felt somewhat stiff. But playing before Linkin Park on the Projekt Revolution tour found Gerard Way and Co. vying for best band in the world, over-the-top performance category.

Jason Isbell (Aug. 18, Crowbar, Ybor City): The ex Drive-By Trucker established himself as a live act on par with his old band. Raw, hard and pure, this was a no-frills rock show built on loud guitars, solid drums and standout songwriting.

Curtis Ross can be reached at (813) 259-7568 or cross@tampatrib.com.
Old 12-28-2007, 05:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Modesto Bee

http://www.modbee.com/scene/story/163750.html

9. Lindsey Buckingham (January, Turlock Community Theatre) -- The Fleetwood Mac mastermind put on a display of his one-of-a-kind guitar prowess and vocal range, showcasing his both youthful side and innovative style (from Bee staff writer Ty Phillips).
Old 01-10-2008, 01:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Tahoe Daily Tribune

http://www.tahoedailytribune.com/art...MENT/691788436

Performance

Lindsey Buckingham: Bruce Springsteen has nothing on this guy. The driving force behind Fleetwood Mac, Buckingham comes from a high-achieving family with his brother swimming in the Olympics. Buckingham came to Harrah's in
support of his first solo album in 15 years. He played every song with such
passion that it clearly merits the best individual performance of 2007.