User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-23-2003, 07:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default Re: Rudness!!!

When Stevie was saying "this is not about art, this about finances," we have no way of knowing in what context that was being said.

Perhaps it was said in regards to boiling the album down to one disc, as opposed to two... which they've said that they did, because they were unsure of how well a two-disc set would do in today's market.

But in relation to the recording of the album, I do not for one second believe that ANY of them did it "purely for the money."
Old 11-23-2003, 07:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default Re: Rudness!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Cammie
Why say
such dumb things about Lindsey when
he... asked Stevie to do this project!!!
Lindsey must stop being so Honest!!!
Just in the interest of keeping facts straight, I don't recall anyone in the band ever saying that Lindsey, or anyone, "asked" Stevie to do this album.

When it became apparent that Christine definitely wasn't coming back, they all decided to keep Fleetwood Mac going, and when Mick, John & Lindsey started to go full-steam ahead on a new album, Stevie willingly gave the band a CD with 15 demos that they could listen to and choose their favorites from (some of which she had actually pulled off of 'Trouble In Shangri-La' because she felt they would make better Mac songs).

I think Lindsey and Stevie were equally enthusiastic about this project (although Stevie has said that she did have some initial trepidations about recording as Fleetwood Mac, without Christine).
Old 11-23-2003, 07:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Exclamation

OK, fair enough if we agree to disagree on why they did the album, I don't profess to knowing anything about them as people or why they decide what they do, it's just my guess and I did say it was mainly Mick that I think is doing it "just for the money". I mean, it's not like they're going to say in an interview:"yeah, we just want your money, that's the only reason we're here". naturally they're going to say all of the fluffy stuff. So I guess we'll never REALLY know.

As for LB & SN., I see what you're saying Johnny Stew, but if Stevie doesn't need FM, then why DOES she stay in the band? Lindsey is happy to come back due to the fact that no one will stand in his way now regarding creative freedom and as that's what he wants, he's getting his way, so I hope he's happy about that ...and I hope Mick is happy that he's thrown the idea of FM being a BAND out the window. JMHO though.

Why DOES there HAVE to be a "figurehead" etc. anyways? Just curious, that must be the part I don't get.

I was only trying to point out why I, as, presumably, one of the "big upset fans" am "unaccepting" of LB & SN coming back to the Mac. Again, I do admit that I am unaccepting of it but not for the reasons insinuated in that post. I've said my piece so I'll leave this thread now. As also said, I respect the differing opinions of the others in this thread, I just wanted to make my stance clear as one of the "big unaccepting fans" is all.

John

Last edited by wetcamelfood; 11-23-2003 at 08:17 PM..
Old 11-23-2003, 08:06 PM
Registered

[QUOTE]Originally posted by diamondsnake

I especially thought it was mean to say she is not strong live. Because, if you ask me, she is the most talented, as far as vocals go, in the band...

Had to respond to this diamondsnake. and i like Christine and respect the thought that goes into your posts
That said, did you attend many Fleetwood Mac concerts since the 70s? It's wonderful to be young, and my 6th sense thinks you may be young... Me, that boat has sailed I've seen them live MANY times since my teenage years of the late 1970s, and while an opinion is just an opinion, subjective, i MUST say that for me Lindsey and Stevie are by FAR stronger singers than Christine live, and always have been. -- Chris had a tendency to be flat and off-key in concert, there are a couple of versions of 'Songbird' ( i think the one i'm thinking of is on the Tusk documentary) where you hurt for her she's struggling so. Stevie for her 'raspiness' you mentioned had/has the most vocal range by far, her skill for harmonies are amazing on many of Christine's songs live (early live versions of 'You Make Loving Fun' and 'Say You Love Me' were greatly aided by Stevie helping Chris with extra vocals on stage) and Stevie can rock out and be raspy, she could always (well, usually, ha!) put over the tenderness of 'Landslide' and her "incredible show-woman" ability (Christine's words) really made Mac's early live performances legendary. For me, and some others, Stevie Nicks is the voice of Fleetwood Mac. Christine is very talented, but for me her talent is larger as a songwriter and a studio singer than as a live performer, she just never had Lindsey's and Stevie's ability on stage, and a lot of it was because Christine's singing was never as good live as on lp/cd. Chris had a quiet grace/strength on stage but there were a number of filmed performances (tv shows like 'The Midnight Special') where it seemed she was very uncomfortable being on stage, Lindsey and Stevie never had that issue. But Christine's certainly respected as a major part of Fleetwood Mac's legacy, so don't get me wrong
Old 11-23-2003, 08:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: Lindsey Buckingham is so rude!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by diamondsnake
Excuse me! But since when is it his choice if Christine comes back to the band? She was there years before he even joined the band and was still in the band years after he left it. And the only people that should be able to make that kind of choice are Mick and John and from what I can tell they both love her and Stevie loves her too, calling her "her best friend". Everyone other then Lindsey loves her....

This just proves what I have been saying for the longest time Lindsey hates Christine! But why?

And, not to get too defensive, but how dare he say that she is not a strong singer live? That is absolutely insane! Her songs from the dance were just as good or better then the studio recordings and besides, who is he to judge?

I'm sure he is just jealous that Christine has come up with oodles of hits over the years while he is only recognizable by one song: go your own way.

Lindsey hates Christine and loves one thing: himself.

I hate to say this but as much as I respect him as an artist, from what I can tell as a person he is not very nice....

I'm very sorry for the rant, I am just standing up for Christine!
You're excused.

1. Lindsey and Christine were never friends. They just understood each other musically.

2. He never said that it was his choice to let her come back into the band. He said he hoped it didn't happen.

3. It should not be up to John and Mick, it should be up to all four of them. After all, they are the band at this moment.

4. He never said that her singing wasn't strong live. He sadi that her songs weren't. And, when you put them next to rockers like I'm So Afraid and Rhiannon, they aren't. But I love them.

5. He is capable of judging just as much as we are of judging music.

6. He is not recognizable for just one song.

7. Hits don't matter if you are the one who is producing their sound.

8. Never did I get the impression that he hates Christine. I think he's known her long enough not to hate her.

9. It isn't wrongfor him to be enjoying the latest incarnation of the Mac.

Try to read the quotes a little more accurately next time.

Old 11-23-2003, 08:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

ditto, dissention! lol
Old 11-23-2003, 08:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: Re: Hmm

Quote:
I really don't beleive this is Lindsey's group because when it comes down to it, most people are going to the concerts to see Stevie and most people are buying the album to hear Stevie, as most critics have said in different articles.

If it was Lindsey's group and he was this genious then why was he forced to turn his solo record into a fleetwood mac album? because just him alone isn't good enough. no one would buy it, other then the big fans...

seriously though, it is not his band! Stevie's songs are what appeals to most of the people, even the big fans on this board. This was seen through a survivor type poll (towards the end it was practically a stevie solo album). and i don't beleive for one minute that lindsey is this master at turning stevie's songs into something great. she does that on her own, which is seen by trouble in shangrila which hit number three on the charts, just as "say you will" did. and shangrila was just as good, in my opinion!

so if it is anyones band it is stevies because that is who the general public want to see!
Just as many critics said that Lindsey's songs are the best on SYW and that some of Stevie's are just embarassing.

He was never forced to turn it into a FM record. He chose to do that. And record sales don't matter to many music fans as long as the music is great.

He never claimed that it is his band, but he is the one who is keeping it on the radar and profitable. If he wasn't in it, Stevie wouldn't be in it, either. If he wasn't in it, the Mac would be doing retro tours with REO Speedwagon once again. If he wasn't in it, they wouldn't be able to command $125 in ticket prices or play at the venues they play at.

And if Stevie is the only thing keeping the band afloat, explain to me why Peacekeeper was the biggest hit they've had in years and SYW flopped? Certainly her backing vocals on peacekeeper weren't that fabulous.

Old 11-23-2003, 08:57 PM
Registered

Default Re: Re: Lindsey Buckingham is so rude!!!!!!

[QUOTE]Originally posted by dissention

1. Lindsey and Christine were never friends. They just understood each other musically.

Dissention, you rock.. and i'll never forget 'we see no change in sight, Stevie wore her ratty dress last night'-- you and gldstwmn and JohnnyStew always make me glad i read these messages

Lindsey and Christine sure did understand each other musically, like you said. We probably all remember Stevie commenting about being hurt (momentarily) when Lindsey&Chris collaborated right away on 'World Turning' together when she was itching for him to co-write with her. And 'Don't Stop' was practially a Chris and Lindsey duet, wasn't it?
I think Lindsey and Christine actually were tight for a while, but i think a lot of this goes in cycles- and Lindsey was sympatico enough with Chris when she wanted to leave the band to say he understood how she felt as he had experienced her feelings around the time of 'Tango'-- i think it was actually an act of 'friendship' if you will that Lindsey and the rest of the band supported Chris' decision, when they ALL wanted to bring 'The Dance' tour to Europe. I believe Lindsey and Stevie (and Mick and John!) when they wish Chris the best, say they miss her, and yet are happy to be making music together again even tho she's gone. I don't think there's any drama about Christine in their minds now, they're too busy working!
oh and dissention, if i have your ear, and you still have your website, if you have a list, sometime anytime, i'd love to hear chris isaak's and stevie's ''solitary man'' -- and thanks so much for 'sunday kind of love', i had thought i'd never get to hear it so i'm very grateful!
Old 11-23-2003, 09:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: Re: Re: Lindsey Buckingham is so rude!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Nikolaj
Dissention, you rock.. and i'll never forget 'we see no change in sight, Stevie wore her ratty dress last night'-- you and gldstwmn and JohnnyStew always make me glad i read these messages

oh and dissention, if i have your ear, and you still have your website, if you have a list, sometime anytime, i'd love to hear chris isaak's and stevie's ''solitary man'' -- and thanks so much for 'sunday kind of love', i had thought i'd never get to hear it so i'm very grateful!
How can I ever be humble after that?!

When I update my page, I'll add Solitary Man. Fab-o song!

Old 11-23-2003, 09:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: Re: Re: Hmm

Quote:
Originally posted by dissention
And if Stevie is the only thing keeping the band afloat, explain to me why Peacekeeper was the biggest hit they've had in years and SYW flopped? Certainly her backing vocals on peacekeeper weren't that fabulous.
I think Peacekeeper did better because it was the first single released. The band was promoting the album more at the time and the song was on AOL and the radio. It was the first new Fleetwood Mac single in a long time so because of that it got more attention.. If SYW had been released first I think it would have done better than it did.
Old 11-23-2003, 10:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Hmm

Quote:
Originally posted by golden braid
I think Peacekeeper did better because it was the first single released. The band was promoting the album more at the time and the song was on AOL and the radio. It was the first new Fleetwood Mac single in a long time so because of that it got more attention.. If SYW had been released first I think it would have done better than it did.
I agree. And not only that but it practically a duet between them because after the first line Stevie sings through the entire song, not just on backup...

We were frail...
Save us...
Old 11-23-2003, 10:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: Re: Re: Hmm

Quote:
Originally posted by dissention
Just as many critics said that Lindsey's songs are the best on SYW and that some of Stevie's are just embarassing.

He was never forced to turn it into a FM record. He chose to do that. And record sales don't matter to many music fans as long as the music is great.

He never claimed that it is his band, but he is the one who is keeping it on the radar and profitable. If he wasn't in it, Stevie wouldn't be in it, either. If he wasn't in it, the Mac would be doing retro tours with REO Speedwagon once again. If he wasn't in it, they wouldn't be able to command $125 in ticket prices or play at the venues they play at.

The only reason he chose to turn it into a FM record is because they would reject it if it was a sioo record!

SYW didn't exactly flop. Peacekeeper was on the top ten of adult contemp. for about a week or two and then I never heard it again! And Say You Will was in the top twenty for a few months andf I heard it plenty of times. I don't know how often you heard the different singles though.

And obviously Lindsey is the only reason Stevie joined again, but if there was no Stevie there would be no Mac album and tour either... So when it all comes down to it, they are equally important to FM happening this time around.

We were frail...
Save us...
Old 11-23-2003, 10:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Nikolaj
Quote:

I especially thought it was mean to say she is not strong live. Because, if you ask me, she is the most talented, as far as vocals go, in the band...

Had to respond to this diamondsnake. and i like Christine and respect the thought that goes into your posts
That said, did you attend many Fleetwood Mac concerts since the 70s? It's wonderful to be young, and my 6th sense thinks you may be young... Me, that boat has sailed I've seen them live MANY times since my teenage years of the late 1970s, and while an opinion is just an opinion, subjective, i MUST say that for me Lindsey and Stevie are by FAR stronger singers than Christine live, and always have been. -- Chris had a tendency to be flat and off-key in concert, there are a couple of versions of 'Songbird' ( i think the one i'm thinking of is on the Tusk documentary) where you hurt for her she's struggling so. Stevie for her 'raspiness' you mentioned had/has the most vocal range by far, her skill for harmonies are amazing on many of Christine's songs live (early live versions of 'You Make Loving Fun' and 'Say You Love Me' were greatly aided by Stevie helping Chris with extra vocals on stage) and Stevie can rock out and be raspy, she could always (well, usually, ha!) put over the tenderness of 'Landslide' and her "incredible show-woman" ability (Christine's words) really made Mac's early live performances legendary. For me, and some others, Stevie Nicks is the voice of Fleetwood Mac. Christine is very talented, but for me her talent is larger as a songwriter and a studio singer than as a live performer, she just never had Lindsey's and Stevie's ability on stage, and a lot of it was because Christine's singing was never as good live as on lp/cd. Chris had a quiet grace/strength on stage but there were a number of filmed performances (tv shows like 'The Midnight Special') where it seemed she was very uncomfortable being on stage, Lindsey and Stevie never had that issue. But Christine's certainly respected as a major part of Fleetwood Mac's legacy, so don't get me wrong
Well Stevie is the voice of FM because it is so unique and she has my favorite out of all there voices, but as far as Studio albums go at least Christine's voice is the purest and sweetest of the voices. And I still stand by my opinon that today at least, Lindsey is not a great singer. Have you listened to some of the live downloads from this tour? He is just screaming if you ask me. And I never knew Christine had so much trouble singing live.... The live concert videos I have seen show her in top form, at least.

We were frail...
Save us...
Old 11-23-2003, 10:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
so if it is anyones band it is stevies because that is who the general public want to see!
Hun, that equation is incorrect on many levels.

First of all, Fleetwood Mac is not just Stevie's band. Fleetwood Mac is made up of sixteen different members, while we may not necessarily care for all of 'em, FM is still well, not one person's band. It's not Stevie's band, nor is it Lindsey's, Christine's, etc. It's made up of all of them, know what I mean?

Second of all, not everyone goes to see Stevie. When you said that, you stated that the *general public* wanted to see Stevie, not the fans. Granted, most of the fans probably want to see her, but not all of them. So when you say *general public*, you don't necessarily mean the fans, do you?

To get back on topic, Lindsey does not hate Chris. He likes to go on about "artistic freedom", sure, but he does not hate her. We all know that he respects her as both a musician and as a person, even though they may not be buddies. Besides, I'm sure that if she'd ever want to rejoin FM, he wouldn't be the one who made the final decision of whether or not she could come back again. To be honest, she's been in that band long enough so if she decides that she wants to rejoin, leave, etc she can do so as she damn well pleases. Just, please don't automatically assume wrong/point a finger/etc when you don't know exactly what one means, etc. I've done that one too many times in the past .
Old 11-23-2003, 11:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by wetcamelfood
I see what you're saying Johnny Stew, but if Stevie doesn't need FM, then why DOES she stay in the band?
The answer is different depending on what era one is referring to.

After Lindsey left in 1987, it seems (from Stevie's more recent comments to the media) that she stayed because she felt a loyalty to Fleetwood Mac.

Around the time of 'The Dance,' I think it's safe to say she returned to the band for the chance at mending fences, and returning with them to the "glory days" of their popularity.

Currently, I'd imagine... again, based on comments made... that she's with them, because she enjoys being a part of a band (even when her solo career was at its heights, she often said how much she loved being a member of Fleetwood Mac), and because of the chance to work with Lindsey again, in a situation somewhat like their aborted 'Buckingham Nicks' days.

Except maybe for the "dark days" of her Klonopin addiction, Stevie has always had nothing but praise for Fleetwood Mac and its members, and has always talked about how much she loves being a part of such a great band.

So I'm comfortable in saying that that's why she's with the band today, and not because of the chance to make a few extra dollars.

By the way, John, I don't want you to think that I was dismissing your opinion, or anything like that.
I have a great amount of respect for you and your point of view... I just wanted to explore the other side of the "they're doing it for money" point of view.