User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-22-2003, 11:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Lindsey Buckingham!!!!!!

Read this quote about Christine:

"As great as her songs were on recordings, they were not, generally speaking, the strongest things live," Buckingham said. "As much as I respect Christine and her legacy, this is very much in the tradition of Fleetwood Mac remaking itself once again, in a slightly smaller way this time.

"In our hearts of hearts, we were quite intrigued and excited about the possibility of doing something different. Because Christine wasn't there, the musicians had more space to maneuver."

"I'm a little bit territorial about what we've been able to achieve," he said. "If Christine were to call and say she wants to come back, would we say, 'No, you can't?' I don't know. As much as I love her, I would hope it doesn't happen. I feel like we're onto something very viable. In many ways, it's something Stevie and I have been waiting to do for a long time."

Excuse me! But since when is it his choice if Christine comes back to the band? She was there years before he even joined the band and was still in the band years after he left it. And the only people that should be able to make that kind of choice are Mick and John and from what I can tell they both love her and Stevie loves her too, calling her "her best friend". Everyone other then Lindsey loves her....

This just proves what I have been saying for the longest time Lindsey doesn't like Christine! But why?

And, not to get too defensive, but how dare he say that she is not a strong singer live? That is absolutely insane! Her songs from the dance were just as good or better then the studio recordings and besides, who is he to judge?

I'm sure he is just jealous that Christine has come up with oodles of hits over the years while he is only recognizable by one song: go your own way.

Lindsey hates Christine and loves one thing: himself.

I hate to say this but as much as I respect him as an artist, from what I can tell as a person he is not very nice....

I'm very sorry for the rant, I am just standing up for Christine!

We were frail...
Save us...

Last edited by diamondsnake; 11-24-2003 at 05:42 PM..
Old 11-22-2003, 11:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

It seems you're neglecting certain parts of those quotes -- how about "I respect Christine and her legacy", or "as much as I love her..."? Besides, he didn't say she wasn't a strong singer live, he said her songs, generally speaking, were not as strong in concert as they were on the records. I don't necessarily agree with that, but it's not the same as saying she isn't a strong singer.

I really don't get the vibe from these interviews that Lindsey "hates" Christine, or is dismissing her contributions to Fleetwood Mac as anything less than extraordinary. I think he has a genuine respect for her, both artistically and as a person. But you can't blame the guy for putting a positive angle on the situation. The band made it very clear that Christine chose not to be involved, and that her presence was missed. But you have to remember they had a record to promote... naturally he wasn't going to say "we really suck now that Christine's gone!" in all of these interviews.
Old 11-22-2003, 11:57 PM
Ledgie

To be honest I can see Lindsey's point - I didn't miss her at all at the concerts this week.

Aine x

--
Thirty-five is a very attractive age. London society is full of women of the very highest birth who have, of their own free choice, remained thirty-five for years.
Oscar Wilde, The Importance of Being Earnest, Act 3
Irish dramatist, novelist, & poet (1854 - 1900)
Old 11-23-2003, 12:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by EnchantedSLN
It seems you're neglecting certain parts of those quotes -- how about "I respect Christine and her legacy", or "as much as I love her..."? Besides, he didn't say she wasn't a strong singer live, he said her songs, generally speaking, were not as strong in concert as they were on the records. I don't necessarily agree with that, but it's not the same as saying she isn't a strong singer.

I really don't get the vibe from these interviews that Lindsey "hates" Christine, or is dismissing her contributions to Fleetwood Mac as anything less than extraordinary. I think he has a genuine respect for her, both artistically and as a person. But you can't blame the guy for putting a positive angle on the situation. The band made it very clear that Christine chose not to be involved, and that her presence was missed. But you have to remember they had a record to promote... naturally he wasn't going to say "we really suck now that Christine's gone!" in all of these interviews.
Well that is a very good point. I don't know, it is just that I get a vibe like he really doesn't care for her that much. Compared to what other bandmembers say about her, he is very negative....

But what about saying that he would reject her if she asked to comeback? Isn't that a bit bratty for him to act as if he controls the group? I really feel like everyone else, except for Lindsey, would love it if she came back...

We were frail...
Save us...
Old 11-23-2003, 12:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm sorry, I love LB's music, and he is an AWSOME artist, but come on, in someways, and sometimes, he can be a real jerk. Don't get me wrong, I think he is the coolest guy, but I have to agree with dimondsnake... Really, since when does he have the right to do decide if Chris comes back.... He has gotten MUCH more mature in the last 18 years, but I mean, in the Tango days, IMO he was totally self absorbed.... I can see your point
Old 11-23-2003, 12:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I don't buy for one minute that he hates Christine, but I think it's probably easier to produce an album for three other musicians than for four. Having just two songwriters and just three personalities to please does allow him some more elbow room, and who can blame him for wanting that?

- Jake
Old 11-23-2003, 12:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Also, I have mixed feelings about the quote regarding Christine's live songs.
I never thought Little Lies or Everywhere translated well to the stage, but I liked Say You Love Me and Songbird, and I would have loved to have seen them include Homeward Bound, Honey Hi, or Oh Daddy in The Dance set list. Maybe it's that some of her songs didn't work live, but we could say that about some of Lindsey's and some of Stevie's, too. (Peacekeeper, anyone?)

- Jake
Old 11-23-2003, 01:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by darklinensuit
I would have loved to have seen them include Homeward Bound, Honey Hi, or Oh Daddy in The Dance set list. Maybe it's that some of her songs didn't work live, but we could say that about some of Lindsey's and some of Stevie's, too. (Peacekeeper, anyone?)
Actually, they did do "Oh Daddy" on the 'Dance' tour. Or were you referring to the concert video?

As far as the topic at hand... I had a discussion about this with an online friend of mine, a few months ago.
As a Christine fan, he was rather perturbed by Lindsey's comments... but I really don't think LB was meaning to be disrespectful towards Christine in any way, shape or form.

And I highly doubt that he hates her now, or has ever hated her. Remember, Lindsey & Christine used to work very closely together in the studio, and always seemed to have quite a bit of fun playing off each other on stage.

Lindsey has also said that he didn't pressure Christine when she said she wanted to leave the band, because he understood that need and desire.

I really don't think there is any animosity there whatsoever. It's just Lindsey, in his own way, expressing the excitement he felt towards the challenge of "reinventing" Fleetwood Mac, while also going back, in a lot of ways, to his and Stevie's roots.

Last edited by Johnny Stew; 11-23-2003 at 01:38 AM..
Old 11-23-2003, 01:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by Johnny Stew
Actually, they did do "Oh Daddy" on the 'Dance' tour. Or were you referring to the concert video?
Either I'm getting old or I was just too distracted by the crappy Camden venue, but I have no memory of this.

I'm sure I enjoyed it, though. (Gee, that sounds like something I'll say fifty years from now after nightcaps at the senior center.)

- Jake
Old 11-23-2003, 01:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by darklinensuit
Either I'm getting old or I was just too distracted by the crappy Camden venue, but I have no memory of this.
You're in luck, Jake! Nancy has the Irvine Meadows, 1997 performance of "Oh Daddy" up for download right now on her bootlegs of the week page, at BuckinghamNicks.net.
Old 11-23-2003, 01:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks, Johnny and Nancy.

- Jake
Old 11-23-2003, 04:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Surely Lindsey is entitled to an opinion. Doesn't mean he hates Christine. I'm pretty sure they've all said some scathing things about each other over the years! That's human nature!

Pip
Old 11-23-2003, 07:04 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I completely agree with just about everything diamondsnake said, except I don't think Lindsey actually hates Chris. But, these two were definitely not friends, merely colleagues. There is a great Goldmine interview that Chris did about 11 years ago. She mentioned that while she and Lindsey respected each other, they were never friends and that there was no personal connection between them. She also mentioned that he really didn't have any close personal friends at all. This interview may even be in the Blue Letter Archives on this website.

Really, all of Lindsey's interviews during that the last year have annoyed me to no end, as I suspect they have other Christine fans as well. It's really just his outlandish ego talking. The man has no class. He was never a team player, as diamondsnake said, it was always about him. And, I certainly don't agree with anything that he's said during these interviews. I'm glad to see that someone else has noticed this, too.
Old 11-23-2003, 07:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Anyone know where exactly these quotes of Lindsey's were taken from...???
Old 11-23-2003, 09:38 AM
Registered

i took Lindsey's comments with a grain of salt, its kind of 'his way' and really in keeping with the tradition of Fleetwood Mac- when there's a line-up change, the tendencies of all the members seems to be to give props (reserved) to the departed member, and then say how the music can change, evolve and possibly be better. and sometimes even when they were all together- the comments!--- i'll never forget being at the LA Forum in '82 and Stevie had just finished singing 'Gypsy'-- and Lindsey said 'ok we're going to do another new song right now from 'Mirage' and THIS is one of the good ones- it was written by Christine McVie!" ('love in store' )-- Now in the SYW tourbook, he calls 'Gypsy' one of the songs he never gets tired of performing with Stevie
When Stevie especially, and to a lesser degree Christine, were having solo success, Lindsey said he saw their solo shows and that they were like lounge acts because they relied too much on Mac songs! Oh well!
Chris herself had a memorable quote circa 'Mirage' era regarding Stevie that ''her songs are all like her children to her, but some of them are really garbage"... Yet Stevie still says she considers Chris as a big sister, so i think these comments are just part of an almost sibling type of relationship in the band, so you get the bitter with the sweet. I think Lindsey and Stevie and Mick and John would all gladly welcome Christine back should she wish to re-join and tour, but with her gone, they're wisely promoting themselves as an obviously capable entity without her. I have to say i didn't miss Christine at the 4 shows i saw.
What i did find lacking was that for all of the talk about how the band planned on playing new songs live and stretching, the setlist is pretty darned predictable considering what they COULD be doing- more varied selections from SYW (try out a bunch of the new songs, rotate em and see what really works live!- hint: 'Miranda', 'Everybody Finds Out' and 'Thrown Down')-- don't ALWAYS make 'Dreams' the 2nd song of the night (for what, like 26 years now?)
Do throw in a 'Frozen Love' or any rare Buckingham-Nicks song to put some meaning behind the words of how they have been waiting since 1975 to be a duo in Fleetwood Mac, and shake it up a little! It's still basically a 'greatest hits' kind of tour, and Fleetwood Mac is so much better than that. With it being about 5 months ago, tho i greatly enjoyed both shows, i have to admit now that when i saw them in Worcester Mass 2 nights in a row, and the shows were IDENTICAL, i think it was the height of rock star laziness/fan unfriendly self-indulgence Fleetwood Mac should avoid. They HAD to know some of their die-hards would be there both nights, they should have thrown a bone to the fans and uttered a few different words between songs, and yes, even varied the set list a TAD so it didn't seem so.... written in stone. They also are aware that many fans travel to different cities (perhaps countries, now) and shouldn't be so stagnant and bull-headed about their set list. It's not a Broadway show, its a rock concert. Leave some room for change, a spontaneous moment, and a few surprise songs!