Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-05-2017, 01:49 PM
Senior Ledgie

Default Take it to the limit...

To be fair, this isn't exactly a Frey song...he took over singing it when Randy Meisner (I believe) stopped singing it for whatever reason he had at the time. He just didn't want to do it every night, so Glenn took over. The History of the Eagles is very interesting if anyone hasn't watched it. It even includes a very condensed look at how Felder got screwed over! Which is a real shame.
Old 03-05-2017, 02:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubrick2788 View Post
To be fair, this isn't exactly a Frey song...he took over singing it when Randy Meisner (I believe) stopped singing it for whatever reason he had at the time. He just didn't want to do it every night, so Glenn took over. The History of the Eagles is very interesting if anyone hasn't watched it. It even includes a very condensed look at how Felder got screwed over! Which is a real shame.
I don't think(not certain) that Glenn did it until after Meisner left the band, at the end? of the HC tour. And even then, I don't think Glenn did it until the past 20 years(god, that makes me feel old, writing that).

But yes, I've read that Meisner didn't like doing it, that he was afraid of the super high notes at the end, that he wouldn't be able to hit them.
Old 03-05-2017, 04:54 PM
Senior Ledgie

There's no way they'd ever bring back Felder. Everyone is saying how disrespectful it is to tour without Glenn, well it'd be 10x worse to his memory to play with Felder. They have Steuart Smith. They don't need Felder. Use Jackson Browne or Glenn's son or J.D. Souther. They also can include Bernie like they did for the last tour. Heck, let Henley sing Glenn's songs. Works for me.
Old 03-05-2017, 05:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I don't see why Felder would need to be included. What about Bernie Leadon?

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 03-05-2017, 07:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
I don't think(not certain) that Glenn did it until after Meisner left the band, at the end? of the HC tour. And even then, I don't think Glenn did it until the past 20 years(god, that makes me feel old, writing that).

But yes, I've read that Meisner didn't like doing it, that he was afraid of the super high notes at the end, that he wouldn't be able to hit them.
After Randy left they didn't play Take It To The Limit untill 99 at the Vegas Mellenium show. Then it became a staple in their sets.
Old 03-05-2017, 07:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I have a love hate thing re Felder. I agree that he was not treated very well by Fry and Henley over the years but where I take issue with him is this. He sued them and got a settlement and yet he won't gracefully take the high road.

First I heard stories that he has rountinely signed dvd's for fans from the Farewell One tour of which he was not even a part of.

Secondly he stirs the pot overnot being invited to the Grammy's to honour Glenn. Glenn and him were not on speaking terms and had not been for some time so why the hell would you think Glenn, his family or the Eagles members would want you there on stage???

Thirdly he creates a petition to the Kennedy Center Honors to get him, Bernie, and Randy included. While I agree that Bernie and Randy should have been included as they were original members what he did was low. You were fired. You sued. You got a nice chunk of money. Move on.

He is an amazing guitarist but he acts like a spoiled child.
Old 03-05-2017, 07:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicks Fan View Post
After Randy left they didn't play Take It To The Limit untill 99 at the Vegas Mellenium show. Then it became a staple in their sets.
Thus why I said I didn't think they did it until about the past 20 years, which would be 1997...
Old 03-05-2017, 07:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I have a love hate thing re Felder. I agree that he was not treated very well by Fry and Henley over the years but where I take issue with him is this. He sued them and got a settlement and yet he won't gracefully take the high road.

First I heard stories that he has rountinely signed dvd's for fans from the Farewell One tour of which he was not even a part of.

Secondly he stirs the pot overnot being invited to the Grammy's to honour Glenn. Glenn and him were not on speaking terms and had not been for some time so why the hell would you think Glenn, his family or the Eagles members would want you there on stage???

Thirdly he creates a petition to the Kennedy Center Honors to get him, Bernie, and Randy included. While I agree that Bernie and Randy should have been included as they were original members what he did was low. You were fired. You sued. You got a nice chunk of money. Move on.

i can see the logic behind most of what you said but the signing dvds seems rather petty......clearly he'll sign whatever a fan might ask him to sign. If it's something his band did that he was no longer part of, so what. I mean, fans put all sorts of stuff in front of performers to sign.
Old 03-05-2017, 08:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Put yourself in his shoes...

He was the last person to join the band, to be made a PARTNER in the band. An OWNER. Joe and Timothy were never offered that(the machine was getting too big, by the time they came along).

So Bernie and Randy quit, which meant that Frey, Felder, and Henley were ~now~ the three sole owners of the band. 1/3 each.

Now, there's no denying that Frey and Henley were the two principles in the band, since they were both the singers and primary songwriters. BUT, let's call a spade a spade. Felder owned his 1/3 of the band, and rightly deserved his 1/3 of the profits. Because that was legally the deal.

And greed took over, and Frey and Henley wanted more. I agree that they're the more popular ones, and maybe Felder should have given in. Probably in hindsight, he wishes that he had given in. But he certainly didn't have to, and I'm not sure if I'd want to give into their greed, and give up what was legally mine...

Also, back in the day, touring revenue had always been split 20% for each of the 5 members. Later, Henley and Frey wanted Felder, Walsh and Schmidt knocked down to 10% of the profits. 10% of a Gazillion dollars is still a sh*t ton of money, but he didn't want to back down, even demanding to see the books. Timothy called him, and told him he should sign the "10%" deal, but he wasn't having it. That's why they fired him.

They really did screw him, IMO.
Old 03-05-2017, 08:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
i can see the logic behind most of what you said but the signing dvds seems rather petty......clearly he'll sign whatever a fan might ask him to sign. If it's something his band did that he was no longer part of, so what. I mean, fans put all sorts of stuff in front of performers to sign.
I agree. I don't think a fan should ever give him that to sign, but if they're gauche enough to do so, then him refusing (thought justified) would make many fans accuse him of being arrogant and unfriendly. I mean, it's NBD, just move the line along.

Michele
Old 03-06-2017, 07:37 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
Everyone always focuses on lyrics, but great lyrics with crappy music/chord progressions/riffs won't get you a hit song. Henley's a great lyricist but not as strong writing the music-- he's a lot like Stevie in that regard. In his solo work he relied on Danny Kortchmar among others to carry the musical load just as he relied on others within the Eagles. Without the music he'd just have a bunch of poetry notebooks full of stuff no one would ever hear.
I agree about lyrics being secondary to the music... although HC does have some memorable lyrics, to Henley's credit ("You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave" has gotta be up there somewhere among rock's most memorable final lines in a song!). My point was that even if you give 100% credit to Felder for HC - which would be unfair to Henley - to say "most of their most famous songs were created by Felder" is still a big oversell of Felder's contributions. "Co-created"? OK, sure, as his guitar work is essential in many of their memorable tunes. But to imply that Felder was the creative driving force in the band goes against what has been documented about their history for decades.

Still, he was given 1/5 ownership of the Eagles, and shouldn't have been treated like he was. But I don't think any of the players in that drama were blameless...
Old 03-06-2017, 12:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
Put yourself in his shoes...

He was the last person to join the band, to be made a PARTNER in the band. An OWNER. Joe and Timothy were never offered that(the machine was getting too big, by the time they came along).

So Bernie and Randy quit, which meant that Frey, Felder, and Henley were ~now~ the three sole owners of the band. 1/3 each.

Now, there's no denying that Frey and Henley were the two principles in the band, since they were both the singers and primary songwriters. BUT, let's call a spade a spade. Felder owned his 1/3 of the band, and rightly deserved his 1/3 of the profits. Because that was legally the deal.

And greed took over, and Frey and Henley wanted more. I agree that they're the more popular ones, and maybe Felder should have given in. Probably in hindsight, he wishes that he had given in. But he certainly didn't have to, and I'm not sure if I'd want to give into their greed, and give up what was legally mine...

Also, back in the day, touring revenue had always been split 20% for each of the 5 members. Later, Henley and Frey wanted Felder, Walsh and Schmidt knocked down to 10% of the profits. 10% of a Gazillion dollars is still a sh*t ton of money, but he didn't want to back down, even demanding to see the books. Timothy called him, and told him he should sign the "10%" deal, but he wasn't having it. That's why they fired him.

They really did screw him, IMO.
I totally agree. My issue though is that he took the settlement and yet continues to bitch and moan. I agree they screwed him big time but you can't take the money and then expect to me let back in the band. I always thought Henley and Fry were great songwriters and muscians but as people they sucked big time. Very hypocritcial considering they bitch and moan about corporate greed etc and then their tickets are priced so the very people they despise are the majority of the purchasers. 1,000 bucks for 1 front row ticket.

One thing I find amusing though is in the documentary Glenn's reasoning for wanting more money on the HFO tour was because he and Don filled stadiums and arena's when the Eagles were broken up.

Well that is mostly true ( Frey fails to mention that he was the Opening act for Tina Turner in 85-86 if I have the years correct) and that by 93-94 he was not a big draw and if he were to have toured solo it wouldn't have been arenas he would have played but likley small theaters.

Their Ego's were soo big I don't know how anyone could put up with them.
Old 03-06-2017, 01:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Well that is mostly true ( Frey fails to mention that he was the Opening act for Tina Turner in 85-86 if I have the years correct) and that by 93-94 he was not a big draw and if he were to have toured solo it wouldn't have been arenas he would have played but likley small theaters.

Their Ego's were soo big I don't know how anyone could put up with them.
Glenn was never the draw that Henley was. When they disbanded, even though Glenn was the Eagles leader, Henley was the one whose solo star shined brightly. His songs exuded class, while Glenn was putting out The Heat Is On(vomit!).

And I agree. I wouldn't have wanted to meet Henley or Frey. Both are complete egomaniacs. I'd like to meet the other three, though!
Old 03-06-2017, 01:27 PM
Senior Ledgie

Default Solo songs

I'd rather hear The Heat Is On than Boys of Summer ANY DAY.
Old 03-06-2017, 02:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Lol I saw that Eagles doc on Netflix and Henley/Frey made our Lindsey look like a walk in the park.