Addicted Ledgie

Default Reigns Supreme at Day Two of Classic East Festival

Fleetwood Mac Reigns Supreme at Day Two of Classic East Festival
7/31/2017 by Andrew Unterberger
FACEBOOK
TWITTER
EMAIL ME

Kevin Mazur/Getty Images for Scoop Marketing
Stevie Nicks of Fleetwood Mac performs during The Classic West at Dodger Stadium on July 16, 2017 in Los Angeles.

The two days of the Classic East festival in Queens, New York led up to its Fleetwood Mac climax on Sunday night (Jul. 30) with a mix of assuredness and lingering curiosity. The five acts that had preceded them each had been missing a pivotal member -- by choice, circumstance or both -- but Fleetwood Mac could make the increasingly rare boast of being a classic '70s act with their most successful lineup (all due respect, Bob Welch and Peter Green) intact.

In a way, that made the band the safest bet of the weekend. But Fleetwood Mac has so long seemed to thrive on combustibility that without any built-in member drama, it was worth wondering if they might actually come off too safe.

READ MORE
Eagles Are Their Own Special Guests at Day One of Classic East Festival
But there were two other acts before Classic East got to the Rumours crew on Sunday night, starting with the music world's most overqualified crowd-warmers in Earth, Wind & Fire. The legendary Chicago collective swarmed the stage en masse in their blue-and-gold ensembles, sparking a set of virtually non-stop communal funk vibes. Though they numbered in the double digits, like the previous night's headliners, their ranks had recently suffered a crippling blow: Founding member, co-leader and primarily writer/producer Maurice White passed in early 2016, with tribute being paid via archival video and an extended moment of onstage stillness and silence from the otherwise perpetually moving outfit.

Still, never was a cloudy day in the EWF-verse, and it certainly wasn't Sunday, as the sun beat down on the Citi Field crowd unabated and the band happily matched its intensity. Though The Doobie Brothers' well-received opening set on Saturday still found the crowd largely split between the sitting and the standing, Earth, Wind & Fire had nearly the whole crowd on their feet immediately -- starting with "Shining Star" always helps -- and gave them no real chance to return at any point after, smashing one dance-compulsory jam right into the next.

READ MORE
Earth, Wind & Fire Bandmates Call Maurice White 'A Consummate Perfectionist'
Early on, leader Phillip Bailey called out for the "true Earth, Wind & Fire" fans in the crowd, clarifying that "true" EWF fans "don't necessarily like the songs that were top 10s on the charts... they like the songs because they were top 10s in their hearts." That said, the band did play all seven of their Billboard Hot 100 top 10 hits, and the majority of their other most crowd-pleasing oldies. The most impressive thing about EWF's set might be how little the group's energy sagged even during the ostensible "slow" songs -- "That's the Way of the World," "Fantasy" and "After the Love Has Gone" (which the group even brought out stools for, like they were about to do a Boyz II Men-style a capella) had more vibrancy than most groups' rave-ups.

The tightness of Earth, Wind & Fire's set stood in stark contrast to their stage successors in Bay Area arena-rock paragons Journey, who were more than willing to engage in a little musical sprawl. Founding guitarist Neal Schon enjoyed several extended solo interludes (keyboardist Jonathan Cain also took one of his own), while the group's huge pop hits were often affixed with long codas or vamping sections for Schon and/or singer Arnel Pineda. Sometimes these detours were exciting, and sometimes it felt like the band could stand to just leave well enough alone -- c'mon guys, the climax to "Don't Stop Believin'" needs no addendum. Unexpectedly, the most thrilling moment of the entire set came via a drum solo from Steve "The Magician" Smith, who lived up to his Pineda-applied nickname with all sorts of Cirque du Soleil-worthy drumstick trickery.

The crowd was also less immediately engaged with Journey than they were with Earth, Wind & Fire -- perhaps a function of Journey being the middle band, or the only band on the weekend whose biggest hits mostly came in the '80s, or the only band with an obvious replacement vocalist as the focal point. (Though non-original members carried heavy vocal burdens in the Eagles and EWF, they also had Don Henley and Phillip Bailey to lean on for familiarity.) It also didn't help that Pineda's vocals weren't quite 100% on the evening -- he was a convincing Steve Perry stand-in for about 98% of his notes, but his strain was obvious (if understandable) in reaching for that highest 2%, and in Journey more than most bands, that makes a difference.

READ MORE
Billboard 200 Chart Moves: Journey's 'Greatest Hits' Album Reaches 450th Week on List
Still, the group had roused the audience by set's end -- with songs as good as theirs, it's almost always just a matter of time. Penultimate closer "Faithfully" proved a particularly stirring climax, Pineda nailing the entire vocal and maximizing the crowd's investment with the confidence of a guy who's been doing this for a decade (which, incredibly, he now has). The group encored with 1979 stadium-soul favorite "Lovin', Touchin', Squeezin'," and the song's infectious "na na na na, na na" outro was still an audible hum among attendees at the bathroom and concessions lines well after the song ended.

Then, the main event, with the house more packed than it had been all weekend: Fleetwood Mac came out stomping with the merciless bass drum and devastating harmonies of "The Chain," and were off from there. (Well, almost: drummer Mick Fleetwood threw the band off on the following song with the opening "Dreams" fill, before correcting himself with the "You Make Loving Fun" intro.) The band made their not-f--king-around intentions clear by starting with four consecutive tracks from 1977's diamond-and-then-some blockbuster Rumours, ultimately playing 8 of the 11 songs off the album that came to define their strengths as a band (and their personal weaknesses as bandmates).

If fans were hoping some of the behind-the-scenes drama from that album would end up spilling from the songs onto the stage, they may have come away slightly underwhelmed. Though Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham -- whose volatile partnershiphas largely come to define the band, on and off their records -- did enjoy some longing glances, and a stilted hug at the end of the Nicks-sung Tusk highlight "Sara," the band's dynamic was professional, respectful and non-flammable. The only real explosions to come from the stage were with the actual fireworks set off at encore's end.

Buckingham indirectly addressed the public's seemingly insatiable appetite for Fleetwood Mac intrigue during one mid-song break. "That certainly does help define the band," he conceded. "But I think you have to look underneath that... what you see is a lot -- a lot -- of love." He also maintained that while the band's varied personalities and talents may make them an unlikely fit on paper, "It's the synergy of what we do that makes it more than the sum of its parts -- that's always been the case."

READ MORE
Fleetwood Mac Caps Classic West With Poignant Closing Set
Undoubtedly true, though it didn't take long on Sunday night to tell who the group's true star remains. It's unfair to Buckingham, the group's brilliant sonic architect and blindlingly talented guitarist, and to unfairly oft-sidelined singer/songwriter Christine McVie, who writes choruses ("Say You Love Me," "You Make Loving Fun") as towering and structurally marvelous as the Empire State Building. But man, Stevie Nicks... she changes the temperature of the room whenver she's on, even in an open-air stadium like Citi Field. Her voice, sharp and enigmatic as ever, is a national treasure, her stage presence hasn't become one iota less captivating in over 40 years of iconicity, and her songs are just the best songs. Your heart and tear ducts fill instinctively upon hearing them, before your head can even identify the particular tune.

Whether by design or coincidence, Classic East ended up serving as something to the once-mighty power of THE BAND, as an assemblage of dynamic, versatile, occasionally overlapping talents, rather than a top-down hierarchy meant to relay a single artist's vision. And while all six groups last weekend had multiple instrumental and/or studio prodigies contributing to their greatness, it's Nicks -- one of three singers in her band, who doesn't play an instrument besides the tambourine -- who proves by far the most irreplaceable.

That is to say: During Fleetwood Mac's set, Buckingham played a solo version of 1987 top 5 hit "Big Love," that included his own lightning-speed acoustic finger-picking -- which only a handful of other guitarists on the planet would even have the balls to attempt, and which required a fixed close-up of his fingers on the big screen to prove to the crowd he was actually doing it -- and was rightly met with an appreciative ovation for his efforts. But Stevie could've gotten one of those at any point in the evening, merely by lifting her arms and feigning at a twirl. That's true stardom, and it puts Nicks in a class of one among all '70s rock acts (inside or outside of Classic East), and explains why the current generation of modern-day rock stars from Lana Del Rey to Harry Styles continue to find her so bewitching.

Stevie may be Fleetwood Mac's greatest weapon, but the band has never risked over-using her, and didn't last night, as they ended with two of Buckingham's best shredders -- the self-titled album closer "I'm So Afraid" and Rumours classic-rock staple "Go Your Own Way" -- then encored triumphantly with the McVie-written Buckingham duet "Don't Stop." Because really, Lindsey was right: It remains the unlikely combination of and chemistry between their incredible talents that makes Fleetwood Mac special. And all members still being willing to put aside decades of their storied drama in service of such fantastic music is much more important than getting to read the juicy next chapter.

BILLBOARD VIDEO
Life Lessons With Miranda Lambert | Billboard

Life Lessons With Miranda Lambert | Billboard Miranda Lambert at Faster Horses Festival 2017 Drag Queens Love Ariana Grande | Divas & Queens How It Went Down: Steve Aoki's "Night Call" "You're Safe Here" | LVRN Studios Tour Maddie & Tae at Faster Horses Festival 2017 Fifth Harmony Narrates A Brief History of '90s Girl Groups How DJ Khaled Assembled His Epic Squad for Hot 100 No. 1 Hit 'I'm the One' Ansel Elgort: One Day In Coney Island Bebe Rexha on working with Florida Georgia Line Fifth Harmony Talks About Creating Their Multi-Genre, Versatile New Album Walshy Fire narrates A Brief History of DJ Uncle Al Bobby Bones and Bailey Bryan See Who Fans Know Better | Faster Horses Festival 2017
FACEBOOK

TWITTER

EMAIL ME

by Taboola Sponsored Links From The Web
5 Dating Sites You NEED to Try
top10.me
Congress Gives Oregon Homeowners Who Owe Less Than $625k A Once-In-A-Lifetime Mortgage Bailout
Improve Mortgage Quotes
See If You're Pre-Qualified For A Citi Card
Citi
Work in Healthcare Logistics? You Can Benefit from this Whitepaper
UPS
From the WebPowered By ZergNet

The Stunning Transformation of Alicia Keys
TheList.com

Billy Ray Cyrus' Interview With Wendy Williams Was a Trainwreck
Foxnews.com

Prince's Official Cause of Death Revealed
Usmagazine.com

Adele's Incredible Transformation
TheList.com
COMMENTS
© 2017 Billboard. All Rights Reserved.
Terms of Use Privacy Policy About Our Ads Advertising
Billboard.com is a member of Billboard Music, a division of Billboard-Hollywood Reporter Mediahttp://www.newsday.com/entertainment...ver-1.13878868

Last edited by TheWildHeart67; 07-31-2017 at 10:24 AM..
Old 07-31-2017, 12:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

What an offensive article! To say that one member of a band (any band) could lift a finger and that's more worthy than what the rest of the band speaks volumes about the kind of journalist that wrote it.

Lots of people were seated or bored during Rhiannon or Sara near me. The only
Stevie's song that lifted everybody up was Dreams. Granted, everybody was pretty wasted after 6 hours of concert.
"I think what you would say is that there were factions within the band that had lost their perspective. What that did was to harm the 43-year legacy that we had worked so hard to build, and that legacy was really about rising above difficulties in order to fulfill one's higher truth and one's higher destiny."
Lindsey Buckingham, May 11, 2018.

Last edited by button-lip; 08-01-2017 at 06:15 AM..
Old 07-31-2017, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by button-lip View Post
What an offensive article! To say that one member of a band (any band) could lift a finger and that's more worthy than what the rest of the band speaks volumes about the kind of journalist that wrote it.

Stevie's song that lift everybody up was Drwams. Granted, everybody was pretty wasted after 6 hours of concert.
That's why I loved the BuckVie shows. No drama, no diva... no fake relationship. Now, some folks like that.. Which is fine.. just not for me.
Old 07-31-2017, 09:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Classic East Photos & Videos

I went to the Classic East this weekend and thought I would share my pictures and videos.

Eagles:

New York Minute: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFwKAiu9HJg
Life in the Fast Lane: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P32vK3MKRto
Photos: https://photos.app.goo.gl/fVIyPQAYxNmqEZwc2

Fleetwood Mac:

Bleed to Love Her: https://youtu.be/qatVI-vv7tc (focus fixes ten to twenty seconds in)
Think About Me: https://youtu.be/CosIWhhSFzA
Photos: https://photos.app.goo.gl/rtthErnZNn9VOFJY2
Old 07-31-2017, 11:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

what was the interaction between Chris and Stevie like??
Old 08-01-2017, 05:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Oh wow.... great quality of Think About Me
Is Chris taking all lead vocals on the song now? It sounds really good.
Old 08-01-2017, 06:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
what was the interaction between Chris and Stevie like??
The usual. I saw them doing the dance on Tusk and that thing they do (don't remember the song) when they touch the tambourine and the maracas. But there was much more inteaction between Christine and Lindsey than Christine and Stevie.
"I think what you would say is that there were factions within the band that had lost their perspective. What that did was to harm the 43-year legacy that we had worked so hard to build, and that legacy was really about rising above difficulties in order to fulfill one's higher truth and one's higher destiny."
Old 08-01-2017, 10:29 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:

Stevie's song that lifted everybody up was Dreams. Granted, everybody was pretty wasted after 6 hours of concert.
I didn't take it the same way. The "lift a finger" comment just praises Stevie's ability as the showgirl, with little moves like twirling able to enthrall the crowd. The others aren't on the same level in that regard but they have their own strengths. Lindsey has the power to amaze people with his brilliant, energetic guitar-playing and Christine has the power to hypnotize the crowd into singing along in unison to her ungodly catchy songs.

So I don't think he was really praising one member over another, but the band as a whole. Basically each one of them can get big crowd response for different reasons and its why the band still kicks ass today!

"The face of a pretty girl x1,000,000" -Isn't It Midnight (The song that got me into Christine McVie)

"The sun is bright, but not too bright to see. When the darkness comes you've got to fly into the light." -Doing What I Can (The song that got me into Lindsey Buckingham)

"I can still hear you saying you would never break the chain" -The Chain (The song that got me into Fleetwood Mac)
Old 08-01-2017, 10:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Wow! The Think About Me performance was great! Christine sounded strong--and she's definitely playing organ and electric piano. Touring for two months has done her some good.
Old 08-01-2017, 10:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Bored!

If FM ever makes new music as a band, then I'll be concerned about such "articles". But as long as they're only in it for the oldies, I couldn't care less what the trolls--and this is a troll disguised as a music journalist--say about twirls and stardom.
Old 08-01-2017, 10:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
That's why I loved the BuckVie shows. No drama, no diva... no fake relationship. Now, some folks like that.. Which is fine.. just not for me.
Amen! Every time Stevie and Lindsey hold hands or kiss, I wanna VOMIT.

Such fake CRAP. It boggles my mind that people eat up that sh*t.
Old 08-01-2017, 11:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
yes!

and with BuckVie there's no need to read idiotic trolling articles complaining about not enough drama in a FM show instead of actually listening to the music.

to anyone who says they as a band are worse now than in the 80s, think why those US Festival videos were never released. or watch those videos from Tusk tour when all of them were so drunk and high that each was singing and playing their own out-of-tune version of whatever they were supposed to perform! what they are now though is more rehearsed and much much less spontaneous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
Bored!

If FM ever makes new music as a band, then I'll be concerned about such "articles". But as long as they're only in it for the oldies, I couldn't care less what the trolls--and this is a troll disguised as a music journalist--say about twirls and stardom.
lots of trolls talking about FM shows these days! it is nice that it doesn't happen as much about the BuckVie shows, although it does crop up every now and then.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 08-01-2017, 01:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
Amen! Every time Stevie and Lindsey hold hands or kiss, I wanna VOMIT.

Such fake CRAP. It boggles my mind that people eat up that sh*t.
Sara was SOOOO fake on the Classic East! It was so obvious! And people are like: 'Oh, look at them! The East Coast is good for them!"

And the rest of the band had to wait for them at the beginning of the show. People started shouting because they were taking too long. They probably were fighting.
Old 08-01-2017, 04:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Sara was SOOOO fake on the Classic East! It was so obvious! And people are like: 'Oh, look at them! The East Coast is good for them!"
I rarely listen to the radio but just an hour or so ago
I was listening to 96.1 The Rocket and it was two for
Tuesday. They played Rhiannon and Go Your Own Way.
Then unexpectedly the deejay mentioned the Classic East
and West Coast concerts.

He said something like, "people said they were just going
through the motions". And that "maybe they should take
some time off etc...".

Personally I don't know if time off would hurt or help their
voices. Many of those YouTube videos aren't sounding so
good.
Old 08-01-2017, 04:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Really liked that version of Think About Me.

Thanks for capturing and sharing it Erin!