Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-09-2006, 01:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Article on Mick's appearance at Costco w/ pics

http://www.ocregister.com/ocregister...le_1270414.php

A big swig of stardom
Shoppers jam a Fountain Valley Costco as rock 'n' roll drummer Mick Fleetwood drops by to promote his wines.
By DEEPA BHARATH
THE ORANGE COUNTY REGISTER
FOUNTAIN VALLEY – Martha Burcaw was standing by the polished oak furniture Friday afternoon at Costco.

The Newport Beach resident wasn't looking at pickle jars, Halloween and Christmas decorations, or baked goods that lined the aisles.

What Burcaw, 56, couldn't stop looking at was her hero, the co-founder of the rock music group Fleetwood Mac, sitting at a table on Aisle 135 signing bottles of his brand of wine, Mick Fleetwood Private Cellar.

A line with more than 200 fans snaked in and out of the aisles, "all the way to the diapers" as one fan put it.

"I can't believe he's here," said Burcaw, who recalled covering the walls of her room with psychedelic Fleetwood Mac posters. "I just can't believe it's him sitting here in Costco."

It's not so surprising that Fleetwood brought his wine selection to Costco. During the past several years discount warehouse stores have attracted a host of product-touting celebrities, from President Clinton to rock band Aerosmith.

Costco officials say they enjoy the "surprise element" these celebrity appearances present to their customers.

"It enhances their shopping experience," said Tina Boyle, a regional buyer for Costco. "It makes things a little more exciting for all of us."

The surprise element was in evidence Friday as excited shoppers called family members and friends to take orders for autographed wine bottles. Others snapped photographs of Fleetwood on their cell phones.

Fleetwood said wine has been his passion for the past 15 years.

Four years ago he started working on his own label, which has won accolades from several wine critics. In a recent blind tasting of celebrity wines, The Wall Street Journal dubbed Fleetwood's wine "Best Wine by a Living Musician."

On Friday afternoon, the 64-year-old drummer made Fountain Valley his first of four Southern California appearances.

His line features chardonnays, cuvées and pinot noirs, from $12.99 to $25 a bottle. Gelson's supermarkets have also stocked their shelves with his brand.

Fleetwood said he prefers the mellow blends, the kind that don't "attack you and demand you get a new set of teeth."

Four years ago, when he contemplated his enterprise, Costco didn't immediately come to mind. Now it makes perfect sense, he said.

"Nothing's fun if it's all exclusive," Fleetwood said. "Wines should be affordable and accessible."

Making wine is not much different from making music, he said.

"With both you have to be open and creative," he said. "You tweak and mix and rearrange."

Dan Lundberg, assistant manager of the warehouse store, said Friday's response was one of the best he had seen. Former Secretary of State Colin Powell, author Jackie Collins and vintner Robert Mondavi were some of the other celebrities who have appeared there.

"I think the draw here is not just for the image but the wine itself," he said.

Shelli Riddle, who stood in line carrying her 6-month-old daughter Kristy, said she has no doubts about the quality of the wine.

"I bet it's tasty," she said. "Just like his music."

CONTACT US: 714-445-6685
Old 09-09-2006, 01:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Fleetwood said he prefers the mellow blends, the kind that don't "attack you and demand you get a new set of teeth."
Classy, Mick!
Old 09-09-2006, 01:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Dark in my flaming staircase, being totally unfamiliar with the artist or her music

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
Damn, I was hoping for a wine that makes me all bug-eyed and sweaty!
Old 09-09-2006, 01:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SortaSavageLike View Post
Damn, I was hoping for a wine that makes me all bug-eyed and sweaty!
And don't forget bald!
Old 09-09-2006, 02:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

That's the cutest story I've read in a long time. I love the picture of the baby pulling his hair! It makes me happy to know that Mick is happy Thanks for posting that Livia.

Old 09-10-2006, 08:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Hmmm...I am curious to taste the wine. Hopefully all of this hype means its at least GOOD!

I think I am going to swing by a Costco tomorrow and check it out...

Old 09-10-2006, 08:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

BTW, on his message board it says he will be at 2 more California Costco's on Sept. 16 and 17th....someone should go and drill it into his head that the fab 4 need to record soe damn new material! LOL.

Old 09-10-2006, 11:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatdarkwing View Post
BTW,someone should go and drill it into his head that the fab 4 need to record soe damn new material! LOL.
YES! THAT's what I'm talkin' bout!!!!!
To have Mick, John, Christine, and Bob Welch back in the studio would make my DECADE. Thanks for posting!!!!!
Old 09-11-2006, 12:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
YES! THAT's what I'm talkin' bout!!!!!
To have Mick, John, Christine, and Bob Welch back in the studio would make my DECADE. Thanks for posting!!!!!
Couldn't resist, could ya?

Old 09-11-2006, 12:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by skcin View Post
Couldn't resist, could ya?

No way!!! He left his statement waaaaay too open to interpretation!!!
Old 09-14-2006, 09:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Hm. I need to shop at Costco more. Of course being the snob that I am I would have been WAY bitter at having to stand in a line of 200 or more...Still I am rather curious about his wine. And I would actually love to meet Mick - seems like a fun chap!
Old 12-22-2006, 11:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Has anyone tried his wine? WBOS just mentioned what this article said, that The Wall Street Journal named his Best Wine by a Living Artist. I think we need t-shirts for the next Mac concert, "I bet it's tasty, just like his music." Okay, maybe not.
Old 12-22-2006, 12:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
Classy, Mick!
I havent laughed that F***IN hard in forever!
Old 12-22-2006, 06:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

WOW...this really must mean a tour is coming very soon