The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Stevie Nicks
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-06-2014, 01:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

It's quite interesting to read all the intense and obsessive personal ruminations about the album. Everyone is offering their own ideas of how improve the album to suit their preferences. It's entertaining to see how different those preferences are!

We can agree to disagree. But it is what it is, and I've made peace with it. Nit picking it to death isn't going to change it. It's still very present; over time, when it's lived in, feelings and initial opinions might change in the context of history.

The initial press reviews, so far, are much more forgiving and less scrutinizing than we Ledgies are.

Last edited by PenguinHead; 10-06-2014 at 01:41 AM..
Old 10-06-2014, 03:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinHead View Post
It's quite interesting to read all the intense and obsessive personal ruminations about the album. Everyone is offering their own ideas of how improve the album to suit their preferences. It's entertaining to see how different those preferences are!

We can agree to disagree. But it is what it is, and I've made peace with it. Nit picking it to death isn't going to change it. It's still very present; over time, when it's lived in, feelings and initial opinions might change in the context of history.

The initial press reviews, so far, are much more forgiving and less scrutinizing than we Ledgies are.
I was just thinking about this. I know what I know and that is that this is the album I been waiting for over 30 years. In my humble opinion, I'm always right.
Old 10-06-2014, 10:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Scrutiny doesn't necessarily relate to displeasure.

At any rate, if Bella Donna is any indication, we'll be living with this album every day, in some small way, for the next thirty years. It makes sense that we would have more to say than some one-time reviewer.

Michele
Old 10-06-2014, 06:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Nicely spoken.

As an album guy, I'm going to listen to the whole thing anyhow.
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case
Old 10-06-2014, 08:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Christmas Eve!

I can't wait until midnight to download this. I've listened to the streaming link on Amazon, but to unwrap it myself is too exciting!
Old 10-06-2014, 08:51 PM
Senior Ledgie

So exciting! I got the vinyl last week and the deluxe CD today but I also am getting the standard edition tomorrow. I wonder if it's in a jewel case instead of the slip case like the deluxe version (since it doesn't have a photo book to house the lyrics/pictures)?
Old 10-06-2014, 09:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaContestant View Post
Nicely spoken.

As an album guy, I'm going to listen to the whole thing anyhow.
I always listen to the whole thing. I cheated a little with SYW. I would sometimes play 3 songs without playing the rest, but I only did that for a couple of months and then I stopped myself.

But back in the old days when we had 45s, then I would wear a single out, just by itself. But since the advent of CDs, I don't do that anymore.

On IYD, since Cheaper Than Free comes last and it's my least favorite song, it's very tempting to cut the CD off then and there, but I resist.

Michele
Old 10-06-2014, 11:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Well, just got my 24KG digital download! Sounds FANTASTIC in stereo surround...and LOUD!!! It's 11pm here in Nashville. I'm sure my neighbors hate me!!!
Old 10-06-2014, 11:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
I always listen to the whole thing. I cheated a little with SYW. I would sometimes play 3 songs without playing the rest, but I only did that for a couple of months and then I stopped myself.

But back in the old days when we had 45s, then I would wear a single out, just by itself. But since the advent of CDs, I don't do that anymore.

On IYD, since Cheaper Than Free comes last and it's my least favorite song, it's very tempting to cut the CD off then and there, but I resist.
really? you force yourself to listen to the whole album/cd? wow. not me. I skip over sh*t I don't like. Life is short. So if you don't have time for the whole album, you don't put it on at all??

it's kinda nice coz then when I eventually do go back and play an album front to back / back to front it's kinda like new-- or not. sometimes it's like, oh yeah… i remember why I skip this dud.
Old 10-06-2014, 11:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorcerer999 View Post
Well, just got my 24KG digital download! Sounds FANTASTIC in stereo surround...and LOUD!!! It's 11pm here in Nashville. I'm sure my neighbors hate me!!!
Same! And also received my deluxe bundle and lithograph - gorgeous. I got the lithograph with the cigarette, which makes me happy. Can't wait to blast these! I love listening to the vinyl, but I get the sense that this album was mastered for digital listens, as there are details that I can here when listening to the digital version that I can only hear on vinyl by cranking the volume up real loud - not that I'm hesitating doing so.
Old 10-06-2014, 11:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post

Michele
I'm impressed by this - I love IYD, but I certainly do not have the willpower to listen to CTF in its entirety.
Old 10-06-2014, 11:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Wow! I always have the belt on my turntable set at normal (0%) speed. It's been that way this whole last week as I played the new record. But listening to this digital download now...things are a tad slower...and having strictly listened to the vinyl for the past 10 days (with a slightly higher speed, apparently) it's very odd to listen to this album now. It's just...I don't know how to describe it only to say that it's just slightly slower, but still makes a big difference. It is especially noticeable on "ATBW" and "Watch Chain", where on my record player they were more uptempo...and now they're mid tempo.

Has anyone else experienced this? My turntable is considered one of the best, and none of my other records sound faster than their CD counterparts. Was 24KG mastered slightly faster on vinyl than on CD? Is that possible?
Old 10-06-2014, 11:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorcerer999 View Post
Wow! I always have the belt on my turntable set at normal (0%) speed. It's been that way this whole last week as I played the new record. But listening to this digital download now...things are a tad slower...and having strictly listened to the vinyl for the past 10 days (with a slightly higher speed, apparently) it's very odd to listen to this album now. It's just...I don't know how to describe it only to say that it's just slightly slower, but still makes a big difference. It is especially noticeable on "ATBW" and "Watch Chain", where on my record player they were more uptempo...and now they're mid tempo.

Has anyone else experienced this? My turntable is considered one of the best, and none of my other records sound faster than their CD counterparts. Was 24KG mastered slightly faster on vinyl than on CD? Is that possible?
So I just downloaded the album from the Warner e-mail, and sampled a few random songs to check this out. I really only notice it in parts of Mabel Normand (I think) but I don't hear it in Watch Chain. I'm gonna wait until I hear my CD on the same stereo to decide if it's just an illusion of the computer speakers.

Edit: Also, my download files are mixed 320 KBPS and 256 KBPS. That is shoddy QC work on the part of Warner. -_-
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case

Last edited by KarmaContestant; 10-07-2014 at 12:00 AM..
Old 10-07-2014, 12:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Listening to my digital downloads.

"If You Were My Love" is growing on me. There's a pathos to it that is very appropriate.

"Mabel Normand", the more I hear it the more I love it.

"Twisted" is very good. I'm still not sure that it exceeds the soundtrack version, they seem on par to me.

"Belle Fleur" is a real favorite. I love the unusual opening.

"All the Beautiful Worlds", the chorus is very effective. Initially it was the favorite of what I think of as the three straight-up ballads (If You Were My Love and She Loves Him Still being the other two) - but on repeated listenings it seems like "She Loves..." is moving into the lead and "If You Were..." might be moving into second. I still like this one too.

"I Don't Care" - I actually like this one a lot. It's most certainly Zeppelinish/70s Heart-ish. I actually like the twist of the "I don't mean it, I do care" section. This song really rocks.

"Watch Chain" - great guitar, nicely funky. Wasn't this once called "Watchdevil"? It's great...I think it should have been a regular track.

"Hard Advice" - It's much better than "That Made Me Stronger". Definitely a country vibe like "The Dealer" and "Blue Water". Great lyrics.

"Blue Water" - I think this should be a single released to country radio, its catchy enough to sound like a hit.

"Cathouse Blues" is a fun little ditty. It adds a great sense of whimsy to the album. I don't think it's a throwaway track at all, I think it fits great.

"She Loves Him Still" - I love the flute. Definitely the most delicate of the ballads.

"Carousel" - I like it, but I still think its not really a Nicks song.
Old 10-07-2014, 12:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabruns View Post
Listening to my digital downloads.

"If You Were My Love" is growing on me. There's a pathos to it that is very appropriate.

"Mabel Normand", the more I hear it the more I love it.

"Twisted" is very good. I'm still not sure that it exceeds the soundtrack version, they seem on par to me.

"Belle Fleur" is a real favorite. I love the unusual opening.

"All the Beautiful Worlds", the chorus is very effective. Initially it was the favorite of what I think of as the three straight-up ballads (If You Were My Love and She Loves Him Still being the other two) - but on repeated listenings it seems like "She Loves..." is moving into the lead and "If You Were..." might be moving into second. I still like this one too.

"I Don't Care" - I actually like this one a lot. It's most certainly Zeppelinish/70s Heart-ish. I actually like the twist of the "I don't mean it, I do care" section. This song really rocks.

"Watch Chain" - great guitar, nicely funky. Wasn't this once called "Watchdevil"? It's great...I think it should have been a regular track.

"Hard Advice" - It's much better than "That Made Me Stronger". Definitely a country vibe like "The Dealer" and "Blue Water". Great lyrics.

"Blue Water" - I think this should be a single released to country radio, its catchy enough to sound like a hit.

"Cathouse Blues" is a fun little ditty. It adds a great sense of whimsy to the album. I don't think it's a throwaway track at all, I think it fits great.

"She Loves Him Still" - I love the flute. Definitely the most delicate of the ballads.

"Carousel" - I like it, but I still think its not really a Nicks song.
I think Blue Water is a single too, along with Hard Advice.