User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-13-2013, 11:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
or.. God forbid, nothing comes out of this, which is also possible...
Don't. Jinx. It.

"What a f**king stupid shirt you're wearing." - Christine McVie
Old 10-13-2013, 01:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

If Chris participated in new Mac album I wouldn't be thrilled unless she had her trademark 4 songs or more. At this stage, all the writers have a lot to bring and I would hate to see the potential for 10-12 Christine songs (a solo album) stifled by minimized band participation. She'd have to return as a full member on record.
Old 10-13-2013, 02:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulpian View Post

However, realistically, we know Lindsey wouldn't be keen. Am I wrong? Come on. He loves this 'new' sound and the fact that he's really the unchallenged musical driving force. I'm not being facetious or unkind. I know the Lindsey fans get their knickers in a twist at the sort if comment I've just made, but tell me he wouldn't have his nose put a little out of joint by having to re-calibrate his approach to accommodate the 'only person in Fleetwood Mac that he ever listened to'.
I don't think Lindsey likes the new Fleetwood Mac sound particularly, because he's had to change his own style to fill the hole Christine's absence left in the group. Lindsey didn't even like having his own song, Did You Miss Me released as the first single on his solo album. He said that was the record company's idea.

I don't think he liked having to put out his Bleed to Love Her and Steal Your Heart Away again for SYW, but they were there to fill in for Christine, just like the title song was. he still had to "re-calibrate his approach" for Christine, even when she was not around, because he had to make sure that the album lived up to the pop sound the world expected from FM. If Christine herself is there, filling that niche, he can concentrate on other types of music that are more true to his own sense of creativity.

I really don't think it's a big deal for Lindsey to have Christine on an album. I think he minded not having her there for SYW. If he misses anything about just being a quartet, I think it would happen on stage, not on record, because he'd be performing fewer of his songs.

Overall, I think he's always been puzzled and even resentful of the way Christine cut off her ties and left the band so entirely. He even gave an interview this year where the interviewer said he sounded surprisingly agitated about that, about no one knowing why she had to sever things quite as much as she did. I think he'd like her back on a full album. I would also think he wouldn't want her on a tour and they could continue to be BN on stage and FM (all 5) on record, but it seems like he wants her to tour too, if she is going to record.

Michele
Old 10-13-2013, 02:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLY View Post
I don't think at this point another world tour is needed. If they put out the album promoting the 5 of them back together. Perform on The Today show, Ellen and the Grammys and get the New "hit" on the radio featuring all thee voices will do it. A couple of select shows in addition will do the trick.
Even if they did a tour, they couldn't do it any time soon, after the current one. I think they'd have to wait until 2015 at the earliest. So, if they concentrated on an album in 2014 and maybe a 2015 tour ...

But like you said, it wouldn't have to be an exhaustive world tour. Just play a sufficient number of dates and GIVE US A GOOD DVD.

Michele
Old 10-13-2013, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLY View Post
And I do believe the "who ha" is a MAC album. I have been on this ride for 35+ years.
Yes, I'm in a great mood with all the happenings as of late..
Old 10-13-2013, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
I don't think Lindsey likes the new Fleetwood Mac sound particularly, because he's had to change his own style to fill the hole Christine's absence left in the group. Lindsey didn't even like having his own song, Did You Miss Me released as the first single on his solo album. He said that was the record company's idea.

I don't think he liked having to put out his Bleed to Love Her and Steal Your Heart Away again for SYW, but they were there to fill in for Christine, just like the title song was. he still had to "re-calibrate his approach" for Christine, even when she was not around, because he had to make sure that the album lived up to the pop sound the world expected from FM. If Christine herself is there, filling that niche, he can concentrate on other types of music that are more true to his own sense of creativity.

I really don't think it's a big deal for Lindsey to have Christine on an album. I think he minded not having her there for SYW. If he misses anything about just being a quartet, I think it would happen on stage, not on record, because he'd be performing fewer of his songs.

Overall, I think he's always been puzzled and even resentful of the way Christine cut off her ties and left the band so entirely. He even gave an interview this year where the interviewer said he sounded surprisingly agitated about that, about no one knowing why she had to sever things quite as much as she did. I think he'd like her back on a full album. I would also think he wouldn't want her on a tour and they could continue to be BN on stage and FM (all 5) on record, but it seems like he wants her to tour too, if she is going to record.

Michele
I agree with all of this. I think he's under the sentiment, "She's either in or out." If she wants to be part of the band, then be part of the band. That includes touring. Stop pretending that life is so hard traveling and having a manager, assistant, and what not. You had your break, now let's get to work. It would be so nice to see Buckingham/McVie working together again. They are kick ass.

Having said that, I'll take another solo album if that's what she wants to do.
Old 10-13-2013, 09:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

How I see it happening is that she does the solo thing first while the rest of the band are probably taking a break from this year's tour (assuming that she has a good number of finished tracks by the end of this year), then she goes along and starts doing the new FM album. She's softening up her stance with touring as of late, so maybe, just maybe, she'll do it.

Old 10-13-2013, 09:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Even if they did a tour, they couldn't do it any time soon, after the current one. I think they'd have to wait until 2015 at the earliest. So, if they concentrated on an album in 2014 and maybe a 2015 tour ...

But like you said, it wouldn't have to be an exhaustive world tour. Just play a sufficient number of dates and GIVE US A GOOD DVD.
That's what I was thinking. It doesn't have to be as exhaustive as the tour now. Cut the number of dates in half, perhaps? Then release a full concert on DVD and not blatantly edited, polished hoo ha like LIB or The Dance.

Old 10-13-2013, 09:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
or.. God forbid, nothing comes out of this, which is also possible...

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 10-13-2013, 11:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

^ My reaction, basically.

Old 10-13-2013, 11:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Michele

well, they'd have to wait at least THREE YEARS before touring again because "that's what we do".

I'm sure though that all the accountants and whatnot have it worked out just how many dates and seats they have to sell to break even-- pay everyone's guarantees, the private jets, hotels, salaries of all the employees, trucks, security guards, etc etc etc that they 'need' when they tour, let alone make a profit. It could well be that that size of a tour would be more than Chris would want (or has wanted anyway). Maybe the future will see she's up for it all again.

As for her complaining about touring (someone else posted about that) being away from home for a year or more I can see certainly being unappealing especially after having done it for decades. And FM and other bands have talked about how tedious and frankly boring it can be a lot of the time on the road. I just watched a Nirvana documentary where they talked about the grind of the road and every single day the jet lag and the never-ending interviews and obligations and never getting just a day, a lousy day, to sleep in and then do whatever the hell you want for a couple of hours. So I can see where Chris would just have had enough.
Old 10-13-2013, 11:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post

As for her complaining about touring (someone else posted about that) being away from home for a year or more I can see certainly being unappealing especially after having done it for decades. And FM and other bands have talked about how tedious and frankly boring it can be a lot of the time on the road. I just watched a Nirvana documentary where they talked about the grind of the road and every single day the jet lag and the never-ending interviews and obligations and never getting just a day, a lousy day, to sleep in and then do whatever the hell you want for a couple of hours. So I can see where Chris would just have had enough.
Certainly, no matter how rich you are, it can't match the comforts of home. Stevie said that they promised her everything before, they would even build her a kitchen. She didn't want it. You can have every luxury, but moving to a different location every two nights just isn't fun. It's no big deal when you're young and building up your millions, but once you have them and are 70 the benefits don't outweigh the cons.

Michele
Old 10-13-2013, 11:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

and let's remember that Chris didn't seem all the thrilled with all the touring back before Stevie and Lindsey joined... the lyrics of Homeward Bound lay it out pretty clearly.

I want to sit at home in my rocking chair
I don't wanna travel the world
As far as I'm concerned I've had my share
Time's more precious than gold

I don't wanna see another aeroplane seat
Or another hotel room
Home life to me seems really neat
I just wanna run back for good.

Buy me a ticket homeward bound.....

It all seems the same when you've done it before
There's no difference in the style
There's no better sight than my own front door
I'll be a stay-at-home for awhile

And this was 1972. Now I grant you, the style in which they toured after Rumours was a helluva lot nicer than how they toured in 1972, but.... this just doesn't seem like a woman who loves the road.
Old 10-14-2013, 01:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Let's also not forget that she no longer drinks. The booze certainly takes the edge off of things. Without her coping mechanism on hand, she would've ended up in the mental asylum after a tour that long.

Last edited by applebucked; 10-14-2013 at 03:49 AM..
Old 10-14-2013, 06:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
and let's remember that Chris didn't seem all the thrilled with all the touring back before Stevie and Lindsey joined... the lyrics of Homeward Bound lay it out pretty clearly.

I want to sit at home in my rocking chair
I don't wanna travel the world
As far as I'm concerned I've had my share
Time's more precious than gold

I don't wanna see another aeroplane seat
Or another hotel room
Home life to me seems really neat
I just wanna run back for good.

Buy me a ticket homeward bound.....

It all seems the same when you've done it before
There's no difference in the style
There's no better sight than my own front door
I'll be a stay-at-home for awhile

And this was 1972. Now I grant you, the style in which they toured after Rumours was a helluva lot nicer than how they toured in 1972, but.... this just doesn't seem like a woman who loves the road.
^ THIS. I see her maybe doing a live show recorded for the BBC, much as David Gilmour did in 2006; it was broadcast on radio and online as a webcast. Granted, he then did a (small) tour afterwards, but it's a good way of spreading the word about a solo project.