The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Stevie Nicks
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-22-2017, 08:24 PM
Senior Ledgie

Default Songs that you "rediscovered" after a long time?

Sort of a weird topic idea but what are some of the songs you guys never really registered as favorites at first but on later listening you realized you really liked?

My two big ones are If I Were You and How Still My Love, both of which I had never listened to for a long time because I didn't give them a fair shake when I first heard them.

In the case of "If I Were You": I was really against the 80s sound of Rock a Little when I tried it out (I liked 80s, but not on Stevie!) and only salvaged No Spoken Word and the singles. If I Were You is definitely a product of that decade (that doorbell intro) but after listening to the album again I can really appreciate some of the lyrics in this song and her vocals have a weird sort of depth to them. It's REALLY catchy and I'm honestly surprised it wasn't chosen as the third single over HAEWAFY. It's my favorite on Rock a Little now, beating all but No Spoken word by miles.

How Still My Love I always dismissed as slow and plodding until I heard the live version on the Bella Donna deluxe edition, and I was blown away by the instrumentation and the energy of it. It really made me appreciate the album version more and now its one of my favorites on Bella Donna!

Anything like this happen to any of you guys?
Old 03-23-2017, 12:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Oh I have many haha. I'm also gonna include Buckingham Nicks and Fleetwood Mac Stevie songs that I have rediscovered. Here it goes.

Buckingham Nicks:

Long Distance Winner- always kind of overlooked this one in favor of Frozen Love, Crying in the Night, and Races are Run but I've been listening to it a lot recently and it's so good!

Fleetwood Mac:

Fireflies- I hadn't listened to this in forever but the other day I had a urge to play it, and now I'm obsessed! This really should have been on Tusk or Mirage. I love the lyrics and how it's the perfect song to describe the members of FM. This and The Chain are like anthems for Fleetwood Mac!

Stevie Solo:

How Still My Love- Again a song I often overlooked but now it has become one of my favorites from Bella Donna and in Stevie's career in general. It's a very sultry, atmospheric kind of song and I agree, the live version on the remaster is amazing!

Rock a Little- At first I didn't really like how fragile Stevie's voice sounds on this track, but it has really grown on me.

Moonlight- Moonlight was not on my list of favorites on In Your Dreams originally. However, this tour has made me fall in love with the song. I love the slower arrangement for this tour. Stevie honestly sounds like an angel and she has so much passion when she performs this. Plus those high notes she hits at the end are something we haven't heard from her in a long time!
Old 03-23-2017, 02:42 AM
Ench
This message has been deleted by Ench. Reason: This is the Stevie forum
Old 03-27-2017, 12:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netter75 View Post
Sort of a weird topic idea but what are some of the songs you guys never really registered as favorites at first but on later listening you realized you really liked?

My two big ones are If I Were You and How Still My Love, both of which I had never listened to for a long time because I didn't give them a fair shake when I first heard them.

In the case of "If I Were You": I was really against the 80s sound of Rock a Little when I tried it out (I liked 80s, but not on Stevie!) and only salvaged No Spoken Word and the singles. If I Were You is definitely a product of that decade (that doorbell intro) but after listening to the album again I can really appreciate some of the lyrics in this song and her vocals have a weird sort of depth to them. It's REALLY catchy and I'm honestly surprised it wasn't chosen as the third single over HAEWAFY. It's my favorite on Rock a Little now, beating all but No Spoken word by miles.

How Still My Love I always dismissed as slow and plodding until I heard the live version on the Bella Donna deluxe edition, and I was blown away by the instrumentation and the energy of it. It really made me appreciate the album version more and now its one of my favorites on Bella Donna!

I used to hate Welcome to the Room...Sara but now I think it is a fun/funky song. On Trouble in Shangri-La, I used to dislike Candlebright but I have come to love the song.
Old 03-27-2017, 01:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netter75 View Post

I'm sure we all have experiences like that with songs... I just wanted to say I'm glad to see another person appreciates If I Were You, and I love your description of it as the song with "that doorbell intro!" Very funny but accurate description. I especially love her runs at the end of the song. If I Were You is one of her least appreciated songs. I don't think many people hate it, but I don't think many people love it, either.
Old 03-28-2017, 09:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Going on the record that I just posted that I disliked the Joan of Arc demos I've heard over the years but listen two two version again (separate thread) and am changing my mind! Hope she officially records it.
Old 03-28-2017, 04:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I had the EXACT same experience with "If I Were You" when RAL was released. It was my least favorite in 1986...thirty one years later and it's now my third favorite, next to the title track and "Sister Honey".

In regards to other songs, I used to downright LOATHE "Alice"! At the time, I thought it was plodding and boring. These days, it's one of the few Stevie songs that I can't live without!!! As one gets older and hits certain "landmarks" in life...or goes through experiences (both joyous and heartbreaking) with ramifications they weren't able to comprehend or cope with at a younger age, certain lyrics seem to resonate and speak to you. "Alice" was definitely one of those.

Others I initially disliked upon release but absolutely LOVE now are...
"Battle Of The Dragon"
"Blue Lamp"
(^^^ Both of these are in my top 10 Stevie songs EVER, these days...)

"For What It's Worth"
"Doing The Best I Can"
"The Nightmare"
"Nothing Ever Changes"
"Mabel Normand"
"Smile At You" - This one has grown on me A LOT!!!

and a few demos I initially didn't care for but now I can't live without them...
"Impossible Task"
"Castaway"
"Something Exquisite"
Old 03-28-2017, 04:53 PM

The Highwayman. I used to consider it the weakest song on Bella Donna, a too mellow and bland ending. After Outside the rain it gave me the impression that the record gradually fizzled out.
Now that I gave more thought into the lyrics and imagery it's one of my favourite tunes in the record.
Old 03-28-2017, 06:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

I swear there was another thread on this because I remember answering this before. But then again I am crazy and it could have been a dream

Rock A Little - always hated the song from the music, the raspy inaudible "singing" and the oddball feel to the song. The "extended" and probably original cut of the album on youtube makes me appreciate the song so much more.

Jane - when Street Angel came out....LOVED the album but this was not a favorite. Over the years its really special
Old 03-28-2017, 08:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
I swear there was another thread on this because I remember answering this before. But then again I am crazy and it could have been a dream

Rock A Little - always hated the song from the music, the raspy inaudible "singing" and the oddball feel to the song. The "extended" and probably original cut of the album on youtube makes me appreciate the song so much more.

Jane - when Street Angel came out....LOVED the album but this was not a favorite. Over the years its really special
No don't worry you're not crazy I started a thread a few months ago that was kinda similar to this haha.
Old 03-31-2017, 07:16 AM
Junior Ledgie

For me, I only recently discovered "Priest of Nothing" from the Rock a Little sessions. The 1st take of this song is enchanting. It absolutely should have been included on the album. I have actually been really enjoying and appreciating RAL and it's outtakes a lot lately, more so than usual.