The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-05-2009, 09:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Eva Cassidy's cover of "Songbird" is beautiful.

Old 12-05-2009, 09:23 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilwing80 View Post
People will probably get on me for this, but I did actually like Billy Corgans' version of Landslide. I know alot of people didn't though. It's just me! *waits for the pie-throwing!!*lol
I won't get on you for it. Billy singing that song is one of the things that got me into the Mac so I adore it. Smashing Pumpkins got me through my teenage years so I had trust in Billy that he was on to something.
Old 12-05-2009, 09:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I wonder what the biggest cover was? I reckon it was [I]Black Magic Woman[I] when it was covered by Santana. Most people recognise it as his song.
Old 12-06-2009, 07:18 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meowi View Post
I wonder what the biggest cover was? I reckon it was [I]Black Magic Woman[I] when it was covered by Santana. Most people recognise it as his song.
Either that, Judas Priest's Green Manalishi, or Eva Cassidy's Songbird. I've gotten a fair amount of grief over the years for my dislike of anything and everything Eva Cassidy. I absolutely cannot stand Eva Cassidy.

On a more positive note, I love Status Quo's Don't Stop and Black Crowes/Jimmy Page's Oh Well! Would have loved to have heard Robert Plant singing it!

Last edited by WarmSir3; 12-06-2009 at 07:20 AM..
Old 12-17-2009, 04:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodfather View Post
Also Sara Watikins' Steal Your Heart Away.
I love this cover. I'm a huge fan of Nickel Creek, and now Sara's solo stuff, too.

Also like the Smashing Pumpkins' Landslide, but I can't stand the Dixie Chicks version. Which is weird, cause I'm a bluegrass freak. I think they just missed the point of the song.
Old 12-17-2009, 04:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiver View Post
I love this cover. I'm a huge fan of Nickel Creek, and now Sara's solo stuff, too.

Also like the Smashing Pumpkins' Landslide, but I can't stand the Dixie Chicks version. Which is weird, cause I'm a bluegrass freak. I think they just missed the point of the song.
Big wave to a fellow Nickel Creek fan! Have you heard their version of Toxic? Trust me, go with it...
Old 12-17-2009, 04:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

HUZZAH! Right back at ya!

I have heard their version of Toxic, it's the definitive version, in my opinion.

I wish there was an album version or somethin. Whaddaya think of their cover of I Want You Back?

Btw, hi everybody, I'm new here, and also pretty new to Fleetwood Mac. Can't get enough of 'em at the moment, I've spent way too much time blasting the Tusk album and rolling around on the floor.

Anyhow, great place y'all've got goin' here. Very informative.
Old 12-17-2009, 05:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySorcerer View Post
Eva Cassidy's cover of "Songbird" is beautiful.
Better than the original, IMHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meowi View Post
I seriously doubt that any FMac cover has come close to the sales numbers of Santana's cover of BMW. Probably the Dixie Chicks' cover of "Landslide" would come in #2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarmSir3 View Post
I've gotten a fair amount of grief over the years for my dislike of anything and everything Eva Cassidy.
And, from the tone of your post, the grief is well-deserved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarmSir3 View Post
On a more positive note, I love Status Quo's Don't Stop and Black Crowes/Jimmy Page's Oh Well! Would have loved to have heard Robert Plant singing it!
Hmmmm, Robert Plant singing "Oh Well"??? You mean their rewrite of "Oh Well" that turned into "Black Dog" doesn't suffice?? Just like the Beatles took "Albatross" and turned it into "Sun King".

Some of my fave FMac covers:

The Melvins - Green Manalishi
Annie McLoone - Spare Me A Little Of Your Love
Chaka Khan - Everywhere
KC & The Sunshine Band (?!?!?) - Don't Stop
Rod Stewart - Stand Back
Cyndi Lauper - You Make Loving Fun
Goo Goo Dolls - I Don't Want To Know
Kick Axe - The Chain
Rusty Wier - Don't Let Me Down Again (he also covered Lindsey's "Lola (My Love)" and Stevie's "Think About It" on the same album)
Waylon Jennings & Willie Nelson - Gold Dust Woman
Pamela Stanley - Rhiannon
Matchbox 20 - Never Going Back Again
Pointer Sisters - Hypnotized
the aforementioned Eva Cassidy - Songbird
Old 12-17-2009, 08:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Eva Cassidy's "Songbird". Enough said.
NB. Not necessarily in that order...
Old 12-18-2009, 12:01 AM
Senior Ledgie

Anyone hear Ms Lindsay Lohan's cover of Edge of Seventeen? *vomit* WHY!? WHY, LINDSAY, WHY!?!?!?!?!?

Edit - I am aware this isn't a FM song. lol. My mind was stuck on Stevie for a minute there (always).
Old 12-18-2009, 12:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by grace_face View Post
Anyone hear Ms Lindsay Lohan's cover of Edge of Seventeen? *vomit* WHY!? WHY, LINDSAY, WHY!?!?!?!?!?

Edit - I am aware this isn't a FM song. lol. My mind was stuck on Stevie for a minute there (always).
I know I'll get a lot of flack for this, but I actually halfway like Lohan's version of Edge... to me the production is more in line with the subject matter of the song. Stevie's version seems to be made a harder edged rock song for the sake of the album having a harder edged rock song. I know Paul Fishkin and Jimmy Iovine wanted to throw Stevie's airy fairy image out the window and prove she was just as much of a rocker as a man for her debut album. To me, Edge was a casualty of this policy.

I actually don't mind Wilson Phillips Go Your Own Way either. It was a wholly new take on the song... and I respect that. The layered harmonies are very Fleetwood Mac. And I detest Wilson Phillips... so it takes a LOT for me to admit I like their version of GYOW .

I really like Matchbox Twenty's version of Never Going Back Again too, again, because it's such an entirely different take on the original. And it really works. I know Lindsey feels the song's subject matter is about coming out of the darkness, thus his prosaic approach to it on Rumours. But there's a definite dark undertone to the lyrics, which Matchbox Twenty totally cashed in upon. I like it!
Old 12-18-2009, 12:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post

I really like Matchbox Twenty's version of Never Going Back Again too, again, because it's such an entirely different take on the original. And it really works. I know Lindsey feels the song's subject matter is about coming out of the darkness, thus his prosaic approach to it on Rumours. But there's a definite dark undertone to the lyrics, which Matchbox Twenty totally cashed in upon. I like it!
Yes, I agree. Lindsey claims that he meant finding joy and never going back to that pain again. I don't think the lyrics necessarily say that. Matchbox Twenty says never going to put myself in a position to be hurt again and their arrangement has a detached, robotic tone that brings that sentiment to life. I like hearing the hard shell that forms when you've been hurt once too often. I like Rob's voice. I want Lindsey to work with him.

Michele
Old 12-18-2009, 12:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
Rusty Wier - Don't Let Me Down Again (he also covered Lindsey's "Lola (My Love)" and Stevie's "Think About It" on the same album)
I'm really surprised you know who he is! I thought he was just a local Austin attraction. He actually lived around the corner from me in Austin when I was a kid. I had no idea he did those covers... I'll have to track them down!
Old 12-18-2009, 01:15 AM
Senior Ledgie

Meh. I just don't like Lindsay Lohan, that's all. lol.

I also don't like Rob Thomas. All his Matchbox 20 songs to me sound the same! And they're all about germs. "I got a disease", "Unwell" etc...GET TO A DOCTOR, MAN! lol
Old 12-18-2009, 02:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

This board is great for learning something new about F Mac! I never knew that Cyndi Lauper covered You Make Loving Fun. I need to go look for that!

I love both Tori Amos's and The Dixie's Chicks' version of Landslide. I hate most of that Rumours cover CD.

But, I heard a great version of I Know I'm Not Wrong. I posted about it in another place, but I should have put that post here! They are called the 1900's and below is a link to them doing it live. I'm still trying to get the version their studio version that I heard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pWcVFAQfmY

Also, Tom Petty does a live version of Oh Well on his new 4 disc live Anthology collection. I kind of like it.

Finally, Lucy Wainwright Roche does a decent cover of Everywhere.

How about a thread where we talk about who we would like to cover some Mac songs????

I'd love to hear ...
Dolly Parton do That's Alright
Patty Griffin do Storms
Teddy Thompson do Love in Store
Counting Crows do Save Me a Place
Mary Chapin Carpenter do Honey Hi
Heart do Smile at You

OK, I'm off to hunt down Cyndi's YMLF!

Kevin