Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > The Early Years
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-06-2010, 01:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Simplicity works for me...
And how about the Fleetwood Mac version of 'Need Your Love So Bad'? Am I the only one who hates the strings in the background? A beautiful, simple slow blues with fecking orchestral strings stuck in it. Actually, I probably am the only ...

http://www.mudcat.org/thread.cfm?thr...78&messages=11
Old 10-06-2010, 10:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default strings on need your love so bad

Truth is Peter hated them too. It was put out when BBKing did The Thrill is gone. Mickey Baker was called in to do this after it was recorded
check out the reissue of "Pius Bird Of Good Omen" to hear the way Peter heard it
Old 10-06-2010, 11:26 AM
Ledgie

Default Peter hated the strings

I read that he was quite pissed with Mike Vernon for having the strings added behind his back.

I love them all, but the live version from Shrine 69 is my favorite.
Old 10-06-2010, 11:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Just for the record, the use of strings on 'Need Your Love So Bad' could not have been inspired by King's (actually, producer Bill Szymczyk's) use of them on 'The Thrill Is Gone' as that record was not released until late 1969, appearing on his LP "Completely Well", with the single charting (King's first crossover hit after twenty years of recording) in early 1970.
It has been said that Mayall introduced the song to Green and maybe he did - it appeared on Kings 1968 LP "Lucille", which also contained 'Worried Dream'
Green was on something of a King "kick" at the time, having gone to Paris to see King play in April of 1968 (same month Fleetwood Mac recorded 'Need Your Love So Bad' and Green can be heard performing at least three other numbers closely associated with King around this time: 'Buzz Me', 'How Blue Can You Get' and 'Worried Dream'

All the rusted signs we ignore throughout our lives, choosing the shiny ones instead
E. Vedder
Old 10-06-2010, 12:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default thanks bklynblue

I was wondering if you would weigh in

we know when need your love so bad was recorded, but when waere the strings added. the record is unclear. and when was the single released of "Need Your Love S Bad" with the Micky "Guitar" Baker string arrangement?

vinnie c

Last edited by doodyhead; 10-06-2010 at 12:27 PM.. Reason: questionmark
Old 10-06-2010, 01:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The strings were most likely recorded sometime in May, while the band was out of the country (think Vernon was concerned about Green's reaction? - the single was first released on July fifth, 1968

Vernon re-released it a year later, but more importantly, remixed it -
With all of the previously unreleased material on the Blue Horizon box set, it seems petty to complain about what was missing, but I think it's a shame that no room could be found for either the original or remixed versions of the single -

the remix can be heard on "The Blue Horizon Story Vol. 1" and actually highlights the string section -

It is not just a matter of bringing the strings up in the mix; they are more prominent because the horns and organ have been mixed way down. The fog horn drone of the saxophones and the low sustained organ notes are no longer heard during the intro and are barely discernable through the bulk of the number; their limited use makes them far more effective when they are heard, wafting up to underscore a line or heighten an emotion before dissolving back into the mix.

While the use of the strings will always be a bone of contention, their effectiveness is best heard on the third stanza of this version, where rather than sounding like lead slabs being applied to the number, they now supply the wind to lift Green’s vocal, and the number itself, allowing them to soar.

Bringing down the horns and organ has the effect of clearing the soot and sludge that obscured the number, allowing the listener to hear it as if for the first time.

I would have liked to have heard this mix applied to the full length version available on the box set.

All the rusted signs we ignore throughout our lives, choosing the shiny ones instead
E. Vedder
Old 10-10-2010, 11:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

rock rare collection fetish: FLEETWOOD MAC - Marquee Club London ...
By rockitaly
FLEETWOOD MAC - Marquee Club London 15/8/1967. Pubblicato da rockitaly a 13:44. 0 commenti: Posta un commento. Post più vecchio Home page. Iscriviti a: Commenti sul post (Atom). Lettori fissi. Informazioni personali ...
rock rare collection fetish - http://rockrarecollectionfetish.blogspot.com/
Old 10-13-2010, 08:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Mystery to Me | bloodredemption.com
By admin
When Mystery To Me came in 1973, Fleetwood Mac were done being Peter Green's blues band and were on their way to the international superstardom they would soon find on their self-titled 1975 album, and Rumors, which sealed the deal. ...
bloodredemption.com - http://www.bloodredemption.com/
Old 10-13-2010, 08:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

A Conversation with John Mayall
By Administrator
Did I forget to mention Peter Green, John McVie and Mick Fleetwood who became Fleetwood Mac, have also been known to work with Mr. Mayall? I sure hope the Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame thanks this man soon. Until then, Thank you Mr. John ...
American Blues News - http://www.ameriblues.com/
Old 10-17-2010, 11:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Saturday, October 16, 2010
Parody and Satire: Take a Look Around Mrs. Brown

Jeremy Spencer: Take a Look Around Mrs. Brown

[out of print]

I've mentioned this song before, but thanks to this weeks' theme, you can finally hear it.

Jeremy Spencer released his first solo album in 1970, while still a member of Fleetwood Mac. All of his bandmates played on it, and it's possible it was recorded to make up for the fact that Spencer didn't play at all on the Mac's then-recent Then Play On album.

It's basically a collection of rock'n'roll pastiches and send ups of Elvis, the Beach Boys, "heavy" blues, and more. "Take a Look Around Mrs. Brown" spoofs psychedelic rock, and after a dodgy start, it's spot-on.

Spencer was never much of a songwriter. His early contributions to Fleetwood Mac albums were largely Elmore James impersonations. When founder Peter Green left the band, Spencer and fellow singer/guitarist Danny Kirwin had to pick up the slack for Kiln House, and Jeremy's attempts at real songwriting are particularly weak. But his ability to mimic a variety of genres was always spot on.

Posted by FiL at 9:24 PM

Labels: Jeremy Spencer, Parody and Satire

http://sixsongs.blogspot.com/2010/10...round-mrs.html
Old 10-18-2010, 04:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Fleetwood Mac released Mr. Wonderful a mere seven months after their self-titled debut. Much like that album, they proved to be extremely popular in the United Kingdom, reaching number ten on their charts. I have to say it featured one of the ugliest jackets in rock history. The album was revised and renamed English Rose in The United States with an equally ugly cover, but received little attention and did not chart.

Their second release had some high points but not the consistency of the first. The core band of drummer Mick Fleetwood, bassist John McVie, and guitarists Peter Green & Jeremy Spencer were still in place. A number of additional musicians were on hand, including four saxophonists and harmonica player Duster Bennett. The most notable session player was keyboardist Christine Perfect of Chicken Shack, who would go on to have a long and storied history with the band.

When Fleetwood Mac was on, they were very good. But there was trouble in paradise, as Green and Spencer did not play with each other on five of the songs.

The best two tracks are “Trying Hard To Forget,” which combines the acoustic guitar talents of Green with those of harp player Duster Bennett, and the traditional blues tune “Dust My Broom,” which does not include Green but does include terrific slide guitar by Spencer. The two tracks present both sides of Fleetwood Mac separately, which did not bode well for this line-up.

The best of the other Spencer tracks are “I’ve Lost My Baby,” and “Evenin’ Boogie.” Spencer is one of the lost treasures of the late sixties and early seventies slide guitar, and he shines here.

Peter Green’s main advantage was the caliber of his vocals plus the fact he was a more versatile guitarist who created one of the purist sounds in rock music at the time. His “Stop Messin’ Round,” “Love That Burns,” and “If You Be My Baby,” are all examples of his smooth style.

Fleetwood and McVie were beginning to jell as the rhythm section and they were a constant on this album. They would also remember Christine Perfect's contributions.

Mr. Wonderful was a competent, if not exceptional album. Green would recognize the need for change and would make a big one before their next album was released.

http://blogcritics.org/music/article...-mr-wonderful/
Old 10-21-2010, 06:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default click link to hear the song

October 21, 2010

When they're not backing Gustav Estjes in the Swedish psych-rock band Dungen, Reine Fiske and John Holmegard (along with singer Christopher Gunrup and Fredrik Swahn) make up The Amazing. And, true to its name, the group plays meandering, willowy psychedelic rock that's nothing short of jaw-dropping.

In the six-and-a-half-minute epic "The Kirwan Song," The Amazing pays tribute to Fleetwood Mac guitarist Danny Kirwan, cribbing the lead-guitar melody from Mac's 1972 track "Sunny Side of Heaven." But any relation to the bright old instrumental ends there. Instead, The Amazing cooks up a bewitching psychedelic feast, with rollicking, tricked-out drums, ghostly vocal "oooo"s and subtle organ washes. The guitar riffs slay, too, and even echo some of The Grateful Dead's deepest and most out-there live improvisations. "The Kirwan Song" fades out at the 4:20 mark, but just when you think it's wrapped, the track fades back in with a dazzling, freeform jam that'd make Kirwan proud.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...ryId=130719824
Old 10-25-2010, 09:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

This could be in the JTIS thread or here:

I was just driving down a dark road listening to Peter Green's Green Manalishi and it sounded so spooky. Totally cool and I was feelin' real good.
Old 10-29-2010, 03:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Celebrity birthdays on October 29, 2010

Happy Birthday to everyone celebrating today

Country singer Lee Clayton is 68.
Guitarist Denny Laine (Wings, Moody Blues) is 66.
Singer-actress Melba Moore is 65.
Guitarist Peter Green (Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac) is 64.Actor Richard Dreyfuss is 63.
Actress Kate Jackson is 62.
Actor Dan Castellaneta (The Simpsons) is 53.
Drummer Peter Timmins of Cowboy Junkies is 45.
Rapper Paris is 43.
Singer S.A. Martinez of 311 is 41.
Actor Trevor Lissauer (Sabrina the Teenage Witch) is 37.
Actress Gabrielle Union is 37.
Actor Brendan Fehr ("Roswell") is 33.

http://www.ontheredcarpet.com/2010/1...29-2010-1.html
Old 10-29-2010, 07:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

FARK.com: (5722461) Fleetwood Mac's Peter Green is 64 today. To ...
My favorite Fleetwood Mac. Link (new window) I got to see Bob Welch do this live after they ... The Fleetwood Mac version is just too, I dunno, uptight. ...
http://www.fark.com/cgi/comments.pl?IDLink=5722461