The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-23-2010, 03:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie

^ i'm in the middle of massive weight loss, so i hope i know what i'm talking about.
Old 09-23-2010, 03:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolaj View Post
^^
Don't get me wrong, Carrie, I know a salad and a water is way more sensible and healthy than cookies!
I think alot also has to do with how many pounds a person needs to lose, which, if it's more than 20 pounds, the sensible, healthy, slow, steady way is the smart way to go.
Lisa's niece and I would sometimes have maybe 10 pounds each back then to lose, and we were kids, so it was easy-ish. That is, til I was 40 and decided I wanted to lose the weight that stayed off 15 years then came back along with another 1o pounds added. So, I lied- or forgot I guess- About 6 years ago, I had to lose 20 pounds. And it was hard. Lots of cardio and tons of hours on the exercise bike, no sweets, little bread, little dairy. It's mostly stayed off, except for 5 pounds I'm losing now.
My DAD who I referenced, has had more than 100 pounds to lose for a long time, which is why I think him beginning by waiting to drink his beverage til after he eats is a good way to start. It could trick his metabolism. Or, it may not. He's handicapped, so can't exercise at all. And for me, I think finishing eating before drinking anything has helped keep the weight off, but I may be wrong, and except for 6 years ago, I never had a lot to have to take off.
It's all an interesting subject to me, and I can tell when someone sounds that they know what they're talking about, as Carrie does. Then again, I thought so about Lisa Hartman, too!
The older I get, the more I KNOW that I know NOTHING!!!!
Yes, we should all get our advice from the notorious metabolic expert Dr. Lisa Hartman. I'm sure her assertions are backed by reams of clinical trial data. And we all know that food like fruits, vegetables and soups don't contain any liquid. If anything, by not drinking any liquid with a meal, you are actually delaying the feeling of satiety that liquid would help to create, thereby encouraging you to eat even more food.

Lisa Hartman is thin because she watches what she eats and she exercises like a fiend. Period.
Old 09-23-2010, 04:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by estranged4life View Post
and the always present tea (I must have British ancestory in my family tree - everyone drinks tea but not coffee).
Quote:
Originally Posted by CreepingDeath View Post
My grandparents were English and got me drinking tea when I was very young. I haven't been able to tolerate coffee since.
I am right to assume both of you mean proper tea? I.e Milk, (sugar), boiling water and a tea bag?

Oh Yeah Christine McVie | Tumblr
Old 09-23-2010, 04:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterCookie View Post
I am right to assume both of you mean proper tea? I.e Milk, (sugar), boiling water and a tea bag?
Of course. Surely, you didn't think I was a heathen and used ice?
Old 09-23-2010, 05:14 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreepingDeath View Post
Of course. Surely, you didn't think I was a heathen and used ice?
At first I was a little worried, but when I realised that no English grandparents would subject a grandchild to such terror I was quite all right.

Iced Tea is just wrong, it's like tomatos and harming animals. I just can't imagine coming home and going "ooh I fancy a nice iced tea" I want a brew and I want it hot, any other way (including black) is just plain odd.

Old 09-23-2010, 05:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
At first I was a little worried, but when I realised that no English grandparents would subject a grandchild to such terror I was quite all right.

Iced Tea is just wrong, it's like tomatos and harming animals. I just can't imagine coming home and going "ooh I fancy a nice iced tea" I want a brew and I want it hot, any other way (including black) is just plain odd.
I like my Tea as black as it comes with no sugar. Guess I'm just wrong then lol
Old 09-23-2010, 12:05 PM
Registered

[QUOTE=HejiraNYC;911862]Yes, we should all get our advice from the notorious metabolic expert Dr. Lisa Hartman. I'm sure her assertions are backed by reams of clinical trial data. And we all know that food like fruits, vegetables and soups don't contain any liquid.

Oh, Hej, you're hilarious. Blame ME, poor Lisa never said it anywhere public, unless you consider a restaurant that we all dined at as giving advice to the public, at a table for 3.
The obvious truth that there is liquid in soups and vegetables and other foods you may have while eating is a different concept than washing away enzymes by adding a beverage at the same time to whatever you're consuming.
You and your rolling eyes that you have you rolled in my direction, repeatedly. So superior is your intelligence, I realize. Lots of people have way more smarts than I do, the ones with class don't need to be smug about it.
Having an open mind doesn't necessarily mean than thee here is all vacuous 'n stuff, and needing to lose weight only once since I was about 23, at age 40, suggests to me that the 'wait til you're finished eating to drink' advice wasn't bad for me to follow.
I wasn't saying it was sound medical advice or 'correct'. I was just wondering if anyone else had ever heard it, and I guess I have my answer! That's what I wanted. So, it's all good.
I conceded that it may not have any merit, especially for those with a good amount of weight to lose.
Anyone in the throes of weight loss; massive, or not, has my respect.

Last edited by Nikolaj; 09-23-2010 at 12:46 PM..
Old 09-23-2010, 02:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[QUOTE=Nikolaj;911924]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HejiraNYC View Post
Yes, we should all get our advice from the notorious metabolic expert Dr. Lisa Hartman. I'm sure her assertions are backed by reams of clinical trial data. And we all know that food like fruits, vegetables and soups don't contain any liquid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HejiraNYC View Post

Oh, Hej, you're hilarious. Blame ME, poor Lisa never said it anywhere public, unless you consider a restaurant that we all dined at as giving advice to the public, at a table for 3.
The obvious truth that there is liquid in soups and vegetables and other foods you may have while eating is a different concept than washing away enzymes by adding a beverage at the same time to whatever you're consuming.
You and your rolling eyes that you have you rolled in my direction, repeatedly. So superior is your intelligence, I realize. Lots of people have way more smarts than I do, the ones with class don't need to be smug about it.
Having an open mind doesn't necessarily mean than thee here is all vacuous 'n stuff, and needing to lose weight only once since I was about 23, at age 40, suggests to me that the 'wait til you're finished eating to drink' advice wasn't bad for me to follow.
I wasn't saying it was sound medical advice or 'correct'. I was just wondering if anyone else had ever heard it, and I guess I have my answer! That's what I wanted. So, it's all good.
I conceded that it may not have any merit, especially for those with a good amount of weight to lose.
Anyone in the throes of weight loss; massive, or not, has my respect.
My apologies if there was a misunderstanding; my eyes were rolling at Lisa Hartman, not you. Although I must admit that the fact that you lend any credence to her saliva-as-metabolizer theory does merit a momentary darting of the eyes. ;p

I suspect Mrs. Hartman-Black is another one of those aging Hollywood former starlets who tries to make it all look so effortless. For some reason it's considered gauche to be super diet-conscious and admit to having a gym membership. If I hear another twig-thin model insist that she eats In and Out Burger and Krispy Kreme all the time and never works out, I will scream! I would love to hear a model finally admit that she maintains her figure through drastic calorie restriction, rigorous exercise and cigarettes.
Old 09-23-2010, 02:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

One year ago, I decided to get my weight under control. I was 180, and I'm 5'10", not big boned. I gave up most red meat, and bread. I ate a big spinach salad, about 5 nights a week, for dinner. I lost 45 lbs, down to 135(which is almost too small, but I was motivated, so I kept it up). I've had ONE fast food hamburger, in the past year.

I drink a ton of water in the afternoon(2-3 liters, minimum of 2!). I do think the water keeps my stomach full during the day, and keeps me from being too hungry. Yes, the big salad for dinner, was my one meal for the day, plus some late night beer!.

I have put on 5 lbs, in the past month, but that's only because I've had a sh*t ton of cookouts and dinners, that I've been going to, lately. I'm back on the spinach salads, and that 5 lbs will be gone, in a week or two.

Not exactly the healthiest diet in the world, but it works for me. My blood pressure is down 20 points, and my cholesterol is down 93!!!!!!!! My doctor had been threatening me with cholesterol meds for a couple of years, and I now no longer need them!

Oh, and I feel like a million bucks now. My friends who are 15 years younger than I, marvel at my endless energy. Seriously. This is probably the best thing I've done in my life. Eating is a terrible addiction, and I finally beat it.
Old 09-23-2010, 04:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Smile

Last night my husband had filet mignon and I had a chicken breast (both marinated in balsamic vinegar, chives, garlic, shallots and salt n pepper...cooked out on the grill). We also had steamed green beans w/ almonds and boiled new potatoes with parsley and butter. MMMMM!

Tonight: Gnocchi w/ marinara, baby asparagus tips and Italian bread.
Old 09-23-2010, 04:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I eat such British food. Why am I not exotic?

I had fish with potatoes and broccoli. It rained while we ate.

Old 09-23-2010, 04:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
I eat such British food. Why am I not exotic?

I had fish with potatoes and broccoli. It rained while we ate.

That sounds delish!
Old 09-23-2010, 05:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Let's see...Ethan asked about Tuesday's dinner...

2 schooners of Busch Bavarian beer, a pickled egg & too many pretzel sticks to count at the oldest pub/tavern/bar in Long Beach....the world famous "Joe Jost's" which opened for business in 1924 and has been open ever since.

And, to soak up the last remaining bits of unmetabolized alcohol in my system, two blocks east of Joe Jost's is Original Tommy's Hamburgers. A triple chili-cheesburger (no pickles, no tomato). Their chili is renowned for being a hangover preventative. (BP probably should've procured some to soak up the leaking oil in the gulf!)

Tuesday was the anomaly in my diet.

Then Wednesdays' dinner was homemade mushroom tortellini with steamed spinach & asparagus and a liter of electrolyte enhanced water.

Tonight? I'm thinking a tossed salad with mushrooms & 1000 Island dressing, and steamed broccoli over penne pasta topped with grated parmesan. But, since dinner is still a couple of hours away, that could change...but, probably not much.
Old 09-23-2010, 05:45 PM
Registered

Red face

[QUOTE=HejiraNYC;911946][QUOTE=Nikolaj;911924][I]

My apologies if there was a misunderstanding; my eyes were rolling at Lisa Hartman, not you. Although I must admit that the fact that you lend any credence to her saliva-as-metabolizer theory does merit a momentary darting of the eyes. ;p

Oh, Hejira, no apologies required, from you- your brief words were smart and informed. My words were naive and hopeful. Like I said, I know nothing!
I admire your writing a lot; and as I drove home, I was thinking 'oh sh*t, I think I got pissy again with someone', walked in, re-read my message and cringed.
I'd like to take back my snippiness. I'm sorry; and I hope you'll accept my apology, and if you do, you're a prince.
I'm angry with myself about it. I'd sworn off such snits, you see. Sigh.
Prior to this thread yesterday, the few that I'd shared the 'drink after you eat' info with also thought it was ridiculous. It was more than 20 years ago that I'd heard it. I still tend to do it; habit, I guess.
Drinking lots of water through the day can really cut my appetite before a meal, I've found. A nice side effect I get if I drink lots of water, is that I can't tolerate smoking, and though I have cut way down, I really want to quit, completely.
It's just that I love cigarettes more than water. Stupid of me. But on the lots of water days, I can't smoke without getting the worst headaches. It probably makes sense, cleansing out the toxins with the bottled waters, and then putting toxins back in with a Marlboro Red = one toxic headache.. No menthols for this nic-head, if I wanted menthol, I'd smoke a coughdrop, but I don't, so won't bother.

OH- back to the 'topic'-- tonight it was 2 pieces of cheese pizza, and a glass of ginger ale, and no xanax, this time.
I 'cheated' and sipped some of the drink because the crust at the top of the slices was too dry. Wouldn't want to choke, after all. Nope

Last edited by Nikolaj; 09-23-2010 at 08:27 PM..
Old 09-23-2010, 06:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Speaking of Lisa Hartman Black, she was in my neighborhood the other day.
She and Clint were picking up a puppy.

HomerMcvie you've lost a serious amount of weight. Good for you.

I think it's cereal for me tonight since I ate a 1/4 cheeseburger from
MacD's. Frosted Mini-Wheats it is.