The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Post-Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-25-2015, 07:38 AM
Ledgie

Default 25 Years ago to-day Manchester U.K.

Anybody remember this show from Maine Road Manchester on August 25th 1990? It was broadcast live on BBC radio and became the source for the " Next Stop Maine Road " bootleg cd.
I wasn't there myself, but remember listening to the concert on radio that Saturday night and looking forward to going to see them in Wembley the following Saturday. This, of course, was pre Internet days so Manchester was the first opportunity to check the set list of this tour. In retrospect, I think that this tour was a bit too soon after the Tango tour of 1988 and the set list reflects this. It was also significant that there were only two U.K. venues( and open air ones at that) on this tour . This was not very wise since Wembley ticket sales were rather low: this resulted in Jethro Tull being added to the bill and ticket prices being reduced a few days before the show. Then,of course, we would have the announcement a few days later that Stevie and Christine would be "retiring" from touring with the band.
Any ledgies who attended Manchester like to share their memories?
Old 08-25-2015, 02:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by guillamene View Post
Anybody remember this show from Maine Road Manchester on August 25th 1990? It was broadcast live on BBC radio and became the source for the " Next Stop Maine Road " bootleg cd.
I wasn't there myself, but remember listening to the concert on radio that Saturday night and looking forward to going to see them in Wembley the following Saturday. This, of course, was pre Internet days so Manchester was the first opportunity to check the set list of this tour. In retrospect, I think that this tour was a bit too soon after the Tango tour of 1988 and the set list reflects this. It was also significant that there were only two U.K. venues( and open air ones at that) on this tour . This was not very wise since Wembley ticket sales were rather low: this resulted in Jethro Tull being added to the bill and ticket prices being reduced a few days before the show. Then,of course, we would have the announcement a few days later that Stevie and Christine would be "retiring" from touring with the band.
Any ledgies who attended Manchester like to share their memories?
So you went to the Wembley show? what were your recollections?
My understanding is it was almost sold out and was one of their biggest concerts.
Old 08-26-2015, 02:12 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
So you went to the Wembley show? what were your recollections?
My understanding is it was almost sold out and was one of their biggest concerts.
It was a big concert, but I distinctly remember that tickets on the day were certainly reduced in price. I was at the far end of the stadium, so -despite the big screens- they seemed very far away. Of course, this was in the days before the HD screens we have to-day. It was a long afternoon/evening with sets from River City People,Hall and Oates and Jethro Tull before the Mac hit the stage. They were fantastic as usual and there was a great atmosphere, even if it was outdoors and not as memorable for me as that in Wembley Arena two years before.
Mick's first book had just been published and I got my copy signed by him the day before the concert in Virgin Megastore ,Oxford Street.
Old 08-27-2015, 09:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by guillamene View Post
It was a big concert, but I distinctly remember that tickets on the day were certainly reduced in price. I was at the far end of the stadium, so -despite the big screens- they seemed very far away. Of course, this was in the days before the HD screens we have to-day. It was a long afternoon/evening with sets from River City People,Hall and Oates and Jethro Tull before the Mac hit the stage. They were fantastic as usual and there was a great atmosphere, even if it was outdoors and not as memorable for me as that in Wembley Arena two years before.
Mick's first book had just been published and I got my copy signed by him the day before the concert in Virgin Megastore ,Oxford Street.
Know what you mean- the old Wembley wasn't always a great venue for concerts. I was on the floor and quite close to the stage for the Stones in the mid-90's and that was absolutely awesome... but I was near the back for Michael Jackson- that was an absolutely abysmal experience despite the grand staging and pyrotechnics.
btw- that was quite a set of support acts.