Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
Closed Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 09:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Smile John Lennon/Beatles Mega Thread

I am sure there are alot of John Lennon and Beatles fans worldwide besides me, that read the Penguin Ledge.So I am going to cut and paste this information for the British fans and everyone else.That might be interested in some of these events happening world wide to commemorate John Lennon's 70th birthday that is coming up this October 9th 2010.

News from The Beatles Story newsletter

A two-month cultural programme will mark 70 years since Lennon's birth and 30 years since his untimely death

The city of Liverpool, birthplace of The Beatles, is to a host an extensive season of cultural events to celebrate the life of John Lennon, one of the world's most influential and legendary musicians, who was born in the city.

From October 9 - which would have been John Lennon's 70th birthday, to 9 December - the day after the 30th anniversary of his assassination; organisations in Liverpool will join forces to host a series of live music, film, poetry and art events which are estimated to bring tens of thousands of additional tourists to the city.

Events include ‘Lennon Remembered', a major tribute concert at the 11,000 seat Echo Arena, a major birthday celebration at the world-famous Cavern Club, a Lennon-inspired international poetry competition, film festival, lecture programme and visual art exhibitions at Liverpool John Moores University. White Feather: Spirit of Lennon, an exhibition about life with John Lennon by his son Julian and former wife Cynthia, has also been specially extended.

The organisation of the John Lennon Tribute Season is being led by the world's leading permanent Beatles-themed visitor attraction, the Beatles Story and a team including regional tourist board, The Mersey Partnership (TMP); Liverpool City Council; Liverpool attractions, Cavern City Tours, the Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra and shopping and leisure complex, Liverpool One.

Jerry Goldman, Managing Director of the Beatles Story said: "2010 is a big year for Beatles fans as it is 50 years since the band formed and 40 years since they split. Combine this with what would have been John Lennon's 70th birthday and the 30th anniversary of his death and you can see why we wanted to host a fitting tribute. The richness and diversity of the John Lennon Tribute Season represents the impact John's life had on music and culture, the city of Liverpool and fans all over the world".

Neil Scales, Chief Executive and Director General of Mersey travel, which owns the Beatles Story, said: "The Beatles legend is evergreen and attracts more followers all over the world with succeeding generations. It is fitting that we should mark this particular anniversary."

Councillor Gary Millar, the city's executive member for enterprise and tourism, said: "This Lennon Season will be a fitting way to remember two landmark anniversaries and an opportunity for the city to celebrate the legacy that John left for all. I am positive that the numerous fantastic events taking place will provide Lennon fans with a meaningful way in which to celebrate his life."

"I'm so pleased that the City Council is one of the key organisers of Lennon's tribute. I believe it's only right that the city gets involved and between October and December fondly remembers one of its greatest sons."

Liverpool's Lord Mayor, Councillor Mike Storey, said: "John Lennon is one of the most iconic figures of the Twentieth Century and a Liverpool lad who became known in every corner of the globe. His enduring message of peace is as important now as ever and continues to be an inspiration to many. The John Lennon Tribute Season will allow us to remember him as a man, celebrate his music, and his overall contribution to our city."

• Astrid Kirchherr - A Retrospective, 
24th August - end of January 2011.
Tue to Sat, 10am to 5pm 
Victoria Gallery & Museum, University of Liverpool.
For more information www.liv.ac.uk/vgm

• White Feather: The Spirit of Lennon, until 31 December 2010
An exhibition about life with John Lennon presented by his son Julian and former wife Cynthia. 
Beatles Story Pier Head
.This exhibition is part of the Beatles Story and is included in the admission price.
Opening Times: 7 days a week, 9am - 7pm (last admission 5pm)
 http://www.beatlesstory.com/special-...e-feather.html

• John Lennon's 70th Birthday Celebration Gig, Friday 8th & Saturday 9th October
/(Please note some dates are already sold out!)
Cavern Club, Mathew Street
To book your tickets please call +44 (0)151 236 9091 

www.cavernclub.org

• John Lennon Song Book 70th Birthday, Saturday 9th October, 7.30pm.
Liverpool Philharmonic Hall.
 To book your tickets please call +44 (0)151 709 3789.
 www.liverpoolphil.com

• Unveiling of Global Peace Initiative Peace Monument to John Lennon.

John Lennon Monument
Liverpool is set to become the home of a major European Peace monument, which will be dedicated to music legend John Lennon and his message of peace.
The 18ft monument entitled 'Peace and Harmony' will be unveiled by Julian and Cynthia Lennon in a prestigious ceremony in October as part of the John Lennon Tribute Season. The monument will emulate New York's Strawberry Fields memorial by attracting thousands of visitors wishing to celebrate the life and spirit of John Lennon, as well as becoming an iconic peace symbol for Britain.
The monument has been created by American teen art prodigy Lauren Voiers and is being gifted to the Beatles Story and the City of Liverpool by California-based organisation Global Peace Initiative.
Get tickets for exclusive Lennon event
Available 13/09/2010 until 01/10/2010
The Liverpool ECHO, Beatles Story and Liverpool ONE have teamed up to offer you a once-in-a-lifetime chance to attend an exclusive John Lennon event.
It will celebrate the unveiling of a special European peace monument created in his honour.The event takes place at 11.30 am in Chavasse Park, Liverpool One on Saturday 9 October 2010 - what would have been his 70th birthday.
A total of 500 pairs will be given away to the public.

http://myecho.liverpoolecho.co.uk/pr...peace_monument

• Magical Mystery Tour - Lennon Special, Saturday 9th October & Thursday 9th December
.Visit all the sights of The Beatles Liverpool as well as many more associated with John. 12pm and 2.30pm. 
To book your tickets contact Cavern City Tours on +44 (0)151 236 9091.
www.cavernclub.org

• Walking Class Hero, Saturday 9th October & Thursday 9th December, 5pm.
City Centre walking tour of John Lennon's Liverpool. Departs from the Cavern Club.
To book your tickets contact Cavern City Tours on +44 (0)151 236 9091.

www.cavernclub.org

• Bed-In at the Bluecoat, Saturday 9th October - Thursday 9th December 
62 days - 62 events.
The Bluecoat, Liverpool.General information: +44 (0)151 702 5324.
www.thebluecoat.org.uk

• John Lennon Tribute Show Cavern Club, Saturday 9th October - Thursday 9th December 
Daily, Mathew Street
. No tickets required. Admission to the Cavern Club free of charge.
VIP area can be reserved by calling the Cavern Club on +44 (0)151 236 9091.
www.cavernclub.org

• Fab4 ‘John Lennon' Taxi Tour, Saturday 9th October - Thursday 9th December.
Take a tour of Lennon's Liverpool in the comfort of a black taxi. 
To book a Fab Four Taxi Tour please call +44 (0)151 601 2111.
www.fabfourtaxitours.com

• Liverpool ONE Loves Lennon - A Musical Tribute, Saturday 9th October - Friday 15th October.
Professional musicians and street entertainers will be performing musical tributes to John Lennon through out the streets of Liverpool ONE.
No tickets required.
www.liverpool-one.com

• Liverpool ONE Loves Lennon - An Art Exhibition, Saturday 9th October - Sunday 31st October
.Competition for children and adults to have artwork related to John Lennon on display at Liverpool ONE. 
Entry deadline: Friday 10th September
www.liverpool-one.com

• Lennon by Bob Eaton, Saturday 15th October - Saturday 13th November
.Royal Court Liverpool,
2.00pm and 8.00 pm performances. 
To book tickets call +44 (0)870 787 1866.
www.royalcourtliverpool.co.uk

• Performance Poetry Slam Final, Saturday 6th November.
Closing date for entries 10th September . 
John Lennon International Poetry Competition Judged by Poet Laureate Carol Ann Duffy
.Ticketing information to be confirmed.
Click here for more information
http://www.beatlesstory.com/our-attr...mpetition.html

Iceland events to celebrate John Lennon’s 70th Birthday: 9th October 2010

Lighting of IMAGINE PEACE TOWER
Later that evening at 8:00 pm local time, the much anticipated annual lighting of IMAGINE PEACE TOWER will take place. Yoko Ono invites people all over the world to join her in spirit when she lights IMAGINE PEACE TOWER in remembrance of John Lennon.As IMAGINE PEACE TOWER is illuminated on the island of Viðey, Yoko Ono Lennon invites people all over the world to join her in spirit when she lights IMAGINE PEACE TOWER in remembrance of John Lennon.
As IMAGINE PEACE TOWER is illuminated on the island of Viðey, she asks everyone to join together and let the power of light and prayer become a collective expression of the desire for peace and harmony on our planet.

Please see www.IMAGINEPEACE.com on 9th October 2010 to view a live feed of the lighting of IMAGINE PEACE TOWER.

http://imaginepeace.com/archives/12225

John Lennon Tribute Concert
NEW YORK, Sept. 15 (UPI) -- Jackson Browne, Patti Smith, Cyndi Lauper, Aimee Mann, Keb' Mo' and Joan Osborne have been booked to perform at the 30th annual John Lennon Tribute Nov. 12th at Manhattan's Beacon Theatre.New York

http://www.upi.com/Entertainment_New...4681284604566/

http://www.thegarden.com/events/john-lennon-1110.html

NEW YORK CITY MAYOR MICHAEL BLOOMBERG AND YOKO ONO Lennon 
ANNOUNCE PUBLIC SCREENING OF
LENNONYC, IN CENTRAL PARK
 TO CELEBRATE JOHN LENNON’S LIFE
NY – FREE Screening of LENNONYC film: Rumsey Playfield, Central Park, NYC. 7 pm Oct 9th 2010, John Lennon’s 70th Birthday.

http://imaginepeace.com/archives/12089

Last edited by msLinds; 09-26-2010 at 09:20 PM..
Old 09-27-2010, 06:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default John Lennons 70th birthday Celebrations

I have a little more information about a couple more important things coming up for Johns 70th birthday celebration.I want to add that Fleetwood Mac will allways be my favorite band.I love the band and their music.Including their solo work.But The Beatles and John Lennon's solo work.I also love their music,etc.

The Rock And Roll Hall OF Fame, will host a time capsule dedication ceremony at the Museum on Friday, October 8 at 10:30 a.m. The Museum will continue to celebrate Lennon’s legacy with a weekend of special programs built around John Lennon’s personal items in the Museum’s exhibits including in-depth curator discussions, screenings of Lennon-related Induction content and films and other special event
The Rock And Roll Hall of Fame and Museum and Box of Vision will create three authorized John Lennon Time Capsules, in honor of the 70th anniversary of Lennon’s birth, October 9, 2010, aimed at preserving Mr. Lennon’s body of recordings and legacy for a ceremonial presentation to future generations of fans on October 9, 2040.
With the cooperation of Yoko Ono, the three John Lennon Time Capsules will be stored at the Rock Hall and two additional world locations that have significance to John Lennon’s legacy.“I am delighted to support this effort to help share John’s music and messages of peace and love with the children of today and tomorrow. I know that John’s work, life and dreams will help inspire them to bring a better world for everyone. Children Power!” says Mrs. Ono Lennon.

http://www.boxofvision.com/TimeCapsule/

http://www.a-i-u.net/index.html

WATCH THE " IMAGINE PEACE TOWER " DOCUMENTARY
You can also send them a wish by Twitter.

http://imaginepeace.com/projects/imagine-peace-tower

I might as well add this about John Lennons remastered albums coming out.For those that have not heard all the information about it yet.

EMI Music has unveiled the complete tracklisting and cover art for a broad selection of remastered John Lennon albums and new collections to be released on CD and digitally on October 4th (October 5th in North America).
Featured in the sweeping initiative are eight remastered John Lennon solo albums and new titles including Double Fant...asy Stripped Down, Power To The People: The Hits, Gimme Some Truth, and the John Lennon Signature Box.
For the first time, Lennon’s classic solo albums and other standout recordings have been digitally remastered from his original mixes. The deluxe 11CD and digital John Lennon Signature Box includes 13 previously unreleased home recordings, and Yoko Ono, Sean Lennon, and Julian Lennon have each written personal essays for the lavish collection.

http://www.thebeatles.com/#/news/Tra...g_and_artwork/

http://imaginepeace.com/archives/11567
Old 09-28-2010, 01:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Ooh, I didn't know about the John Lennon Signature Box! I guess I'm rather glad now that I haven't worked at buying his albums (I only own Double Fantasy and the compilation Lennon Legend). After buying me The Beatles Stereo Box Set for my birthday, I'm sure Dad'll be happy to buy this for me too!
Thanks for all the information about the Lennon commemorations msLinds!
NB. Not necessarily in that order...
Old 09-28-2010, 01:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

It's going to be crazy here in Liverpool for the next 3 months!

Love it.
Old 09-28-2010, 06:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Heart John...

Thank you so much for posting all this mslinds. John Lennon is my all-time favorite artist. We have the same birthday as well. I am going to try to make at least one of these events, and I will get the box set. I really can't say in words how much his music has impacted my life. He continues to shine on.

"Reality leaves a lot to the imagination." ~ JL
Old 09-28-2010, 11:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleCharmer View Post
It's going to be crazy here in Liverpool for the next 3 months!

Love it.
Oh how I wish I could be there... I wonder if there'll be anything in particular that Australia might have to celebrate him... if they do, but only on 9/10... well, John and my mum share their birthdays, so that would make it hard... I guess we'll see what happens...
NB. Not necessarily in that order...
Old 09-29-2010, 11:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default John Lennon's 70th Birthday Events

Your welcome Jayee.I am glad this information will be useful to you.I agree littlecharmer
I think Liverpool will be crazy the next couple of months.I hope you all have a enjoyable and great time. I have a little more information to post here.

THIS BOY: John Lennon in Liverpool photo exhibition October 1-10,2010. LOS ANGELES, CA, USA
“These timeless images capture the beginnings of the journey John embarked on from Liverpool so many years ago. The little boy and the growing teenager that we see in these photographs give us a glimpse of the remarkable man he became. As we celebrate the 70th anniversary of John’s birth – we draw inspiration from his passion for life and his many achievements. This Boy came from Liverpool – and then he gave himself to the world. Imagine.. “ Yoko Ono Lennon
30 early Photographs of John Lennon from childhood to the formation of the Beatles. Mr Musichead Gallery: 7511 West Sunset Blvd, Hollywood, CA 90028. Tel: 323-876-0042. Oct 1: 2pm-8pm, Oct 2: 11am-8pm, Oct 4-8: 11am-8pm, Oct 10: 12 pm-5 pm.

Q Magazine to mark John Lennon’s 70th birthday with special covers & exclusive content.Music magazine Q will mark what would have been*John Lennon’s 70th birthday with four tribute covers, using previously unpublished shots by Astrid Kirchherr,*David Bailey,*Iain Macmillan and Bob Gruen.

http://imaginepeace.com/archives/127...medium=twitter

I am posting this about Julian Lennon's Timeless Photography exhibit that just opened
I don't want to start a new thread for it.It is John Lennon related,since Jules is his son.

October 3rd,2010 on the CBS Sunday Morning show will be airing Julian Lennon's "Timeless Photography show at the Morrison Gallery. Just off the main gallery where Cynthia Lennon, Yoko Ono Lennon, Sean Lennon and Julian Lennon were.Here is a link with a article about this show on the " CBS morning show" this Sunday October 3rd.

CBS Sunday Morning Tv show will be airing Julian Lennon's Timeless Photography show at the Morrison Gallery Check your local listing. for exact time in your area.
Here is a link with a article about this show on the " CBS morning show" this Sunday October 3rd 2010.

http://www.examiner.com/john-lennon-...miere-on-oct-3

This was taken from Julians Facebook page.

Timeless by Julian Lennon
“Timeless” - The Photography of Julian Lennon, printed on Canson Infinity Fine Art Papers, premiers at The Morrison Hotel Gallery, New York, NY New York, NY (USA) - Julian Lennon’s edited collection of portraiture and landscape photography debuts at 313 Bowery (Bowery & Bleecker Street) New York, NY, September 16, 2010. This premiere exhibition and sale of Julian Lennon’s stunning collection of limited edition and hand signed portraiture and landscape photography, entitled Timeless, is curated by one of the most sought after celebrity photographers, Timothy White and sponsored by Lennon’s charity, The White Feather Foundation, Duggal Visual Solutions, Inc. and Canson Inc. “I have always felt that I have observed life, in a different way than others; probably because my life has been very different than most. Music has always been one creative outlet for me, but now I’m happy to add another one too, that being photography.” – Julian Lennon

Exhibit Dates: September 17- October 7, 2010
The Morrison Hotel Gallery Bowery
313 Bowery (Bowery & Bleecker Street)
New York, NY 10003 / P: 212-677-2253

For more information about the event, and interviews please contact:
Dawn Kamerling, The Press House
E: dawn[.]thepresshouse.com / P: 646-322-4903

Julian Lennon with his brother Sean and family at the opening party of his Timeless photography exhibit at the Morrison Hotel Gallery on September 16, 2010 in New York City. Here some of links with photographs that are posted online.

http://www.life.com/search/?type=ima...=julian+lennon

http://www.filmmagic.com/ItemListing...453409&evntI=0

http://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/104202321

MORRISON HOTEL GALLERY®

http://www.morrisonhotelgallery.com/...tographID=7093
Old 09-30-2010, 12:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

There is another event I found online.

The Mods & Rockers film festival: A Celluloid Celebration Of John Lennon’s 70th Birthday Grauman's Theater, Los Angeles,CA. Thursday September 30 – Sunday October 03, 2010. Grauman’s Egyptian Theater, 
6712 Hollywood Boulevard., 
Hollywood, CA.
Two blocks east of Highland Avenue.

http://networkedblogs.com/8wws4
Old 09-30-2010, 01:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Heart

Just thought I'd share...my best friend may be doing a live broadcast OCT 8 as well.

Lennon's music is beyond amazing.

Old 10-02-2010, 12:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
Thank you so much for posting all this mslinds. John Lennon is my all-time favorite artist. We have the same birthday as well. I am going to try to make at least one of these events, and I will get the box set. I really can't say in words how much his music has impacted my life. He continues to shine on.
Your welcome Nico.I am glad to be able share this information with all of you.I hope your enjoy any of these events you may be able go to.Also happy upcoming birthday to you Nico this October 9th.I hope you have a enjoyable and great day.My own Dad's birthday is on that day to.He passed away many years ago when I was younger.So besides John Lennons and his sons Sean birthday.Also your birthday. Its also my Dad's birthday who would have been 88 years old this year.Thanks BTFLCHLD for posting your friends music video.I really liked listening to it.It was beautiful cover of that song.
Old 10-02-2010, 01:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default The Second Annual Beatles Festival In San Francisco

There is still another event.But this is a Beatles Festival happening In San Francisco.

The Second Annual Beatles Festival West is set for October 9th & 10th 2010 in San Francisco,California.USA.Top Beatles Tribute Acts from around the world, Audio Visual Presentations, Expert Chat Panels, Artists and other interesting Beatle People.For more information go to their web site.

http://www.beatlesfestwest.com/default.aspx

http://www.beatlesfestwest.com/topic...west-2010.aspx

http://www.fortmason.org/aboutus/vis...tion/direction
Old 10-02-2010, 03:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by msLinds View Post
There is still another event.But this is a Beatles Festival happening In San Francisco.

The Second Annual Beatles Festival West is set for October 9th & 10th 2010 in San Francisco,California.USA.Top Beatles Tribute Acts from around the world, Audio Visual Presentations, Expert Chat Panels, Artists and other interesting Beatle People.For more information go to their web site.

http://www.beatlesfestwest.com/default.aspx

http://www.beatlesfestwest.com/topic...west-2010.aspx

http://www.fortmason.org/aboutus/vis...tion/direction
Aww...I'm going to San Francisco a week too late. Anyways, thanks again for posting this. Is anyone getting the Signature box or the Gimme Some Truth box? I read a review for his stripped down Double Fantasy and it's supposed to be amazing.

Here's a fairly recent picture that I thought was so sweet...going along with the theme of John:

I love both Jules and Sean!
Old 10-03-2010, 09:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default ohn Lennon's 70th Birthday Events

Well Nico I would like to buy that box set of the remasters.But may I have wait untill around Christmas time to actually buy it.I did preorder on Amazon the Double Fantasy stripped remastered CD coming out this tuesday.So I am getting that one this week.I feel the same way about Sean and Juilan.Its great to see Sean and Julian both so close as brothers.I also an a fan of both brothers solo music.Here is a interview for you Nico and anyone else interested that showed today on "CBS Sunday Morning TV show".That shows but Sean and Yoko and Julian and his Mom together at the opening of Julians Timeless photography exhibit.Also a interesting video interview by Yoko Ono Lennon. I do want to add that Fleetwood Mac will still allway be my favorite and most loved band.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxRP9...layer_embedded

http://imaginepeace.com/archives/11567

Some more photographs of the opening

Sean and Yoko Ono Lennon and Julians Mom at Julian Lennons,opening party of his Timeless photography exhibit at the Morrison Hotel Gallery on September 16, 2010 in New York City.

http://www.life.com/search/?type=ima...=julian+lennon

http://www.life.com/search/?q0=julian+lennon

http://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/104202321

MORRISON HOTEL GALLERY®

http://www.morrisonhotelgallery.com/...tographID=7093

Last edited by msLinds; 10-03-2010 at 10:00 PM..
Old 10-03-2010, 10:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Mslinds, I love all these posts! Especially that video of Julian and Sean. A lot of people are quite judgmental when it comes to John and his family. But I always think that no one but the people involved really know. John was imperfect yet he tried towards the end of his life to become the father to Julian that he had missed being years prior. And then he was senselessly murdered and both boys lost him. I really thought it was so touching the way Sean spoke of Julian and the mutual love and affection there. They seem like sweet guys, to be honest. Both very talented.

I'm so sorry about your own father but I'm sure you have amazing memories of him and they bring you comfort.
Old 10-04-2010, 08:57 PM
Senior Ledgie

Thanks mslinds for all the great info! I adore John, and I miss him dearly.
I look forward to all this great stuff coming out in commemoration of his amazing musical life. Just ordered the stripped-down Double-Fantasy and can't wait to hear it!
Can't say enough good things about John...he's the best :-)
Thanks, Nico for all of your great John comments too!
Closed Thread