The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Post-Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-26-2005, 10:01 PM
Ledgie

Default Anyone a fan of Bekka's work with Faith Hill?

I just love some of the songs Bekka wrote for Faith ("Better Days," off of "Faith"; "One" off of "Cry"). She is by far Faith's most fantastic back up singer. (I especially loved her on Faith's "When the Lights Go Down" Special when they showed them interacting backstage.

Any thoughts?

Old 04-27-2005, 09:08 AM
Junior Ledgie

Personally I much prefer Bekka's own versions of those songs from her 'What's In It For Me' album. Far superior.
Old 04-27-2005, 09:42 AM
Ledgie

I hear what you're saying...I bought her "What's In It For Me" album online and I really enjoyed it. However, (and this is totally a matter of personal preference), I enjoy Faith Hill's vocals much more. "What's In It For Me" (off of "Breathe") is definitely one of Faith's shining moments vocally. Do you like Faith's versions of these songs at all?

Also, can anyone maybe suggest some other Bekka recordings I should buy and listen to?
Old 04-27-2005, 03:06 PM
Junior Ledgie

I do like Faith's versions..i think she's such a great,great vocalist. I just feel it's more heartfelt when the songwriter sings their own song.
Faith Hill has a lot of great songs though,that's for sure.
As for more Bekka material..the Bekka & Billy album is excellence!
Old 04-27-2005, 08:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC2002
I hear what you're saying...I bought her "What's In It For Me" album online and I really enjoyed it. However, (and this is totally a matter of personal preference), I enjoy Faith Hill's vocals much more. "What's In It For Me" (off of "Breathe") is definitely one of Faith's shining moments vocally. Do you like Faith's versions of these songs at all?
I think "What's in it for Me" is one of Faith's best vocals, too. (Though I really only enjoy her first two albums). I think she does a fantastic job with that song. But on the other hand, I think that the songwriter really does something with his or her own material that another can rarely do. I feel the same way about Trisha Yearwood doing "Lying to the Moon" instead of Matraca Berg. Trisha may be a very, very talented vocalist and perhaps has a stronger voice than Matraca does, but what Matraca does with it is indescrible and incomparable, IMO.

Last edited by GateandGarden; 04-27-2005 at 09:44 PM..
Old 04-28-2005, 07:12 AM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GateandGarden
I think "What's in it for Me" is one of Faith's best vocals, too. (Though I really only enjoy her first two albums). I think she does a fantastic job with that song. But on the other hand, I think that the songwriter really does something with his or her own material that another can rarely do. I feel the same way about Trisha Yearwood doing "Lying to the Moon" instead of Matraca Berg. Trisha may be a very, very talented vocalist and perhaps has a stronger voice than Matraca does, but what Matraca does with it is indescrible and incomparable, IMO.
I totally get what you guys are saying...A songwriter singing their own song definitely seems to produce a more genuine experience. I love Bekka, though I'm ashamed to say the lovely Faith Hill has stolen my heart. Anyway, Faith's albums are certainly the better for having both Bekka's songs and background vocals.

GateandGarden...you like Faith/country music? We'll definitely have a lot to chat about in the Chit Chat Forum I know this is getting a little off the post-Rumours topic, but I thought you'd be interested to know that Faith is realeasing a new album this year. Rumor has it (haha...no pun intended) that it will be called "Mississippi Girl" and that the video for the first single has been booked (same director as Shania's "Don't"). A very tentative release date for the album is June 28. (This stuff always changes, though).
Old 04-28-2005, 01:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think Bekka should stick to being a LEAD singer...even though she does a great job almost every time, she seems to really be in her "niche" on the more rockin' material she lends backgrounds to; such as Montgomery Gentry's "Gone" & Jonny Lang's "Lie To Me".
Old 04-28-2005, 03:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'd rather see Bekka do an alt.country album by herself at this point. I don't think she needs to back anybody up. Although, I'd love to hear her sing the female part on the Rolling Stones' "Gimme Shelter."

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 04-29-2005, 09:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I totally get what you guys are saying...A songwriter singing their own song definitely seems to produce a more genuine experience. I love Bekka, though I'm ashamed to say the lovely Faith Hill has stolen my heart. Anyway, Faith's albums are certainly the better for having both Bekka's songs and background vocals.

GateandGarden...you like Faith/country music? We'll definitely have a lot to chat about in the Chit Chat Forum I know this is getting a little off the post-Rumours topic, but I thought you'd be interested to know that Faith is realeasing a new album this year. Rumor has it (haha...no pun intended) that it will be called "Mississippi Girl" and that the video for the first single has been booked (same director as Shania's "Don't"). A very tentative release date for the album is June 28. (This stuff always changes, though).
Hi! Yeah, I'm a country fan. I'm Hillary; what's your name? Thanks for the news about the new Faith album, but I probably wouldn't care for it. I quit buying her stuff after the Breathe album, which I wasn't crazy about. I loved what she did with her first two albums. (I though the Janis Joplin cover rocked!!!) but I lost interest after that. It seemed that her music changed in a way that I didn't like too much. Which other country singers do you like? I LOVE Reba McEntire and Kim Richey. They're my fave country music singers. But I also love Patty Loveless, Trisha Yearwood, Sara Evans, Alison Krauss, Cyndi Thomson (wish she'd had more than one album), and some others here and there. I'm a casual fan of the hits of lots of people like Brooks & Dunn, Martina McBride, Tracy Lawrence and so many more that I can't recall them all.
Old 04-30-2005, 01:51 PM
Senior Ledgie

Altho I know so little of Bekka's contribution, all I can say is that it would take amazing poise and guts to step into fleetwood mac as a female vocal. Arguably even bigger stones than it may have taken Burnette and Vito to come in as axemen. For this I can tip my hat. I know I could never do it.
Old 04-30-2005, 03:05 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
Hi! Yeah, I'm a country fan. I'm Hillary; what's your name? Thanks for the news about the new Faith album, but I probably wouldn't care for it. I quit buying her stuff after the Breathe album, which I wasn't crazy about. I loved what she did with her first two albums. (I though the Janis Joplin cover rocked!!!) but I lost interest after that. It seemed that her music changed in a way that I didn't like too much. Which other country singers do you like? I LOVE Reba McEntire and Kim Richey. They're my fave country music singers. But I also love Patty Loveless, Trisha Yearwood, Sara Evans, Alison Krauss, Cyndi Thomson (wish she'd had more than one album), and some others here and there. I'm a casual fan of the hits of lots of people like Brooks & Dunn, Martina McBride, Tracy Lawrence and so many more that I can't recall them all.
Nice to meet you, Hillary! My name is Matt. I really enjoy Faith's first two albums, too. Though, I also really love her more recent work. Rumor has it, her new album will be very much in line with some of her older, more country radio-friendly work.

Besides Faith, I really like Tim McGraw, Keith Urban, Alison Krauss, Dolly Parton, Johnny Cash, and Kris Kristofferson. One of my favorite new acts in Sugarland—their debut album is fantastic!

Anyway, I look forward to chatting with you more in the future!
Old 04-30-2005, 11:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Nice to meet you, Hillary! My name is Matt. I really enjoy Faith's first two albums, too. Though, I also really love her more recent work. Rumor has it, her new album will be very much in line with some of her older, more country radio-friendly work.

Besides Faith, I really like Tim McGraw, Keith Urban, Alison Krauss, Dolly Parton, Johnny Cash, and Kris Kristofferson. One of my favorite new acts in Sugarland—their debut album is fantastic!

Anyway, I look forward to chatting with you more in the future!
Cool! Nice to meet you, Matt! I'm glad to hear that Faith's newest album might be like her first two. I might really enjoy that!
Old 05-01-2005, 12:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Sorry, but in terms of country women, I still prefer Dolly and Loretta. THAT'S country!

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 05-01-2005, 08:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD
Sorry, but in terms of country women, I still prefer Dolly and Loretta. THAT'S country!
So, would you say you're a country purist? Is Reba too modernized for you? I can how she might be. It's funny how some think she's from the old school and others say she's another one of those new ones who's not as good as the standards.
Old 05-01-2005, 12:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
So, would you say you're a country purist? Is Reba too modernized for you? I can how she might be. It's funny how some think she's from the old school and others say she's another one of those new ones who's not as good as the standards.
I've always thought of Reba as the "bridge" between old and new country. Although I must say, I much prefer her older stuff.