The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-02-2010, 09:26 AM
Registered

I actually like the video clip. It seems like it was a Euro TV show similar to 'Solid Gold' which was pretty awful with the 80s dancers, leggings and spandex, yet we did get Stevie on there singing 'SB' and 'Nightbird', live.
Though 'Oh Dyin' is a lipped performance, I have never once before enjoyed the song even a bit. Now it's fine! Seeing the band go through the motions was enjoyable. Christine really gave it her all in her closeup
Thank you a lot for posting it, by the way- to the threadstarter and to the person who put it up on youtube!
Old 11-02-2010, 11:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Christine is parked behind one of those Yamaha CP-80s. She probably borrowed it from the TV studio.
I was worried she wasn't in there at all for the first several minutes. I'd never seen this before. "Super Fleetwood Mac." Funny stuff. Wonder if they performed any other tunes on the show...
Old 11-02-2010, 12:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

It's not live, it's lip synced. Stevie is wearing the same dress she wore in the live version of Gypsy on the Mirage tour.

Oh Diane is a sucky song, dontcha think?
Old 11-02-2010, 01:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The clip here looks like it's from Top Of The Pops. I've always loved this little clip and would love to find a really clean copy.

Here's a copy without the TOTP dancers that I downloaded from a Stevie fan site years ago. I tried to upload to YouTube but the audio was immediately disabled due to a WMG copyright.

http://www.mediafire.com/?mgit5bix1b04ggq
Old 11-02-2010, 01:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by badanimals87 View Post
The clip here looks like it's from Top Of The Pops. I've always loved this little clip and would love to find a really clean copy.

Here's a copy without the TOTP dancers that I downloaded from a Stevie fan site years ago. I tried to upload to YouTube but the audio was immediately disabled due to a WMG copyright.

http://www.mediafire.com/?mgit5bix1b04ggq
There's a very simple solution to that. Open a dispute and put your reason as to why you want the audi enabling as "Educational Purposes" and they'll re-enable the audio

Oh Yeah Christine McVie | Tumblr
Old 11-02-2010, 04:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Poor Stevie looks bored out of her mind xD
Yes, and Mick, at 0:15.. looks like he is j.. off!
Old 11-02-2010, 07:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

No problem with Photobucket!

Old 11-02-2010, 08:23 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
It's not live, it's lip synced. Stevie is wearing the same dress she wore in the live version of Gypsy on the Mirage tour.

Oh Diane is a sucky song, dontcha think?

Yes, Viv, definitely, I think it is a sucky song on the album/cd!
But something about seeing LB complete an entire song in less than 2:20 makes me appreciate it, now. It's forgettable but peppy, and he gets through it fast! I always hated the song til I saw that lipped clip!
I think the man is brilliant; but on the SYW tour, especially, between the bloated 'Come', the awesome and wonderful 'I'm So Afraid' which I found to be admirable and likeable bloat, and the 'guitar genius' solos on 'The Chain' and 'Go Your Own Way'- I feel LB has a tendency to totally overplay a song til it's obnoxious in concert. I like his excess on songs I love like 'I'm So Afraid' but he's always done it- his 'Not That Funny' on the Mirage Tour video- He seriously needed to be smacked
Granted, some may make the same argument about Stevie's excess on some of her live songs ('Edge', maybe) but LB too often comes across as a performer as though his last name begins with an F and not with a B.
So, to see a nice, quick, unyelping little nothing like 'Oh Diane' somehow seems refreshing to me.
I do like me some LB, very much, by the way. But has he ever done justice live to his brilliant recording of 'Go Your Own Way?' In the 3:38 or whatever time it ran on 'Rumours' it is just sublime perfection, and live, I've never seen him come close to the brilliance that he achieved in half the time on record as when he plays it live.
I do like Lindsey Buckingham a lot, though I expect LB's fans will have reason to be unhappy about my very unimportant opinions about what I feel is his overplaying. Now, even on 'Never Going Back Again'- which I like more than many of his other over-extravaganza opuses. It just comes across as needy and too competitive of him- 'I am the real talent of this band, damnit!' Maybe it's why he usually doesn't make those lists he deserves to be on in magazines like 'Rolling Stone' when the 'greatest guitarists of all time' lists name everyone but him. His tendency to 'show off' on too many of his songs may work against him. Clapton doesn't do a similar 'Layla'-esque solo 2, 3, or 4 times during a concert. LB does do very similar solos on many songs.
Lindsey F*ckingham is pretty funny, though, to me. Just a joke that I don't really mean. Or if I do, I mean it with love. The man is a great musician.

Last edited by Nikolaj; 11-03-2010 at 11:02 PM..
Old 11-02-2010, 08:37 PM
Registered

Russell Mulcahy told me he shot a concept video for "Oh Diane" that the band (read: Lindsey) hated, and has been vaulted ever since. I don't know anything else about the video, considering I didn't ask him to elaborate (he was rather brusque about the topic).
Old 11-02-2010, 09:51 PM
Senior Ledgie

I personally love it, and thank you for posting it.
Old 11-03-2010, 08:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

My freind gave me that video so i posted it on youtube!, he said that it was from a tv performance in the uk. Didnt stevie wear something similar on the mirage tour??

SuperFleetwood
www.youtube.com/SuperFleetwoodMac (Watch Rare HQ Fleetwood Mac Videos) And youtube.com/thesuperfleetwood
Old 04-25-2016, 04:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm not normally a lover of Oh Diane (who is?) but I gave it a go today and came to the conclusion I've maybe under-appreciated it. It's actually quite jaunty, happy and jolly and didnt exactly waste two and a half minutes of my life. Anyway, in particular I was reflecting on it's chart success in the UK in early 1983- many people including me are quite perplexed as to why it was popular enough to reach top 10. I'd never considered it before but Diana married Prince Charles in the summer of 81 and William was born in the summer of 82. I wonder if there was any connection. I know they are different names but they are close. I wonder whether they released it as they figured it was a similar name and might catch the 'zeitgeist'. If that's the case then it worked.
Old 04-25-2016, 09:22 PM

I have to admit, after watching the video I kinda liked it. Good point about the UK release.
Old 04-26-2016, 05:21 AM
Senior Ledgie

Default Maybe I'm the Only One...

I kind of enjoy Oh, Diane...a little bit...and way more than Empire State. Guilty pleasure I guess. Haven't watched the video that was posted but I would be very curious to see a video Lindsey hated. It's probably decent.
Old 04-27-2016, 11:53 AM

Just watched the video again. Stevie's little tamborine twirl is funny.