User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-06-2008, 05:31 AM
Senior Ledgie

Default G. Moore about Greeny

Gary Moore said about his first meeting with Greeny music:

The first time I saw P. Green play was at the Club Radio in Belfast in 1967. He had just replaced E. Clapton in J. Mayall's Blues Breakers and I remember when he came on stage, everyone was standing there, arms folded, like "OK, let's see what you can do". From the opening licks of "All Your Love", it was obvious that here was someone very special and as for his guitar sound, I'd never heard anything like it in my life. It seemed like the whole room was resonating, such was the depth of his tone. For the rest of the gig I just watched him, absolutely transfixed; his fingers were just walking across the strings; he was so graceful and confident, smiling to himself like he was thinking "It's my turn now ...".

Krzysztof
Old 12-06-2008, 05:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks Krzysztof,
Where's this quote from?

/z
Old 12-06-2008, 07:10 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoork_1 View Post
Thanks Krzysztof,
Where's this quote from?

/z
It is from the liner notes from the first edition of his tribute CD (1995) - Gary Moore - Blues For Greeny.

Greetings from Poland
Krzysztof
Old 02-01-2009, 02:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

This is an excerpt from Guitar Player magazine's interview with Moore:

http://www.guitarplayer.com/article/...e/feb-09/93055

Gary Moore
By Shawn Hammond

PLENTY OF GUITARISTS HAVE RECEIVED more acclaim in the rock arena than Gary Moore. Others have gotten more nods from headbangers. And certainly there are bluesmen with more cachet than Moore. But good luck finding a single guitarist who has garnered the kind of critical acclaim and commercial success that the Belfast, Ireland, native has had in all three genres.

While still a teen, Moore caught the eye of Fleetwood Mac guitarist Peter Green. Besides becoming a seminal influence on the young guitarist, the fellow Irishman helped Moore’s then-band Skid Row (no relation to the ’80s hair metal band) seal a record deal. He also sold Moore his famed “out-of-phase” ’59 Gibson Les Paul that would become his main guitar for years to come.
Old 02-01-2009, 03:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

"Fellow Irishman"?
Old 02-01-2009, 05:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default the little green men

they must be one of the lost tribes of Isreal

8^)

doodyhead
mel and vinnie
Old 02-02-2009, 10:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Wink O´Greenbaum???

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodyhead View Post
they must be one of the lost tribes of Isreal

8^)

doodyhead
mel and vinnie
Yes, they must really have got lost in the exodus....
Soooorry!!!

Ms Moose
Old 02-02-2009, 02:08 PM
Senior Ledgie

Gary moore plays horrible blues, dont get me wrong he is a terrific, terrifying even, guitar player...but the blues he plays is just wrong..
I think greeny has done more for moores career than vice a versa with that blues for greeny album.
Old 02-08-2009, 07:39 AM
Junior Ledgie

I agree. I think generally Gary Moore is better with rock music, but the Blues he plays are quite good (if you like your blues with a band and some heavy guitar parts). He's rather impressive to see live I must say.
Old 03-04-2009, 04:29 PM
Junior Ledgie

Anyone knows why the hell did he sell Peter's sunburst? I've always heard him talk about how greatful he was to Peter for having helped him and for having literally "given" to him his special guitar. I've even heard him say that whenever Peter wanted the guitar back he would give it to him.

So how is he gonna do it now?

I can't think about Moore needing more money or something like that. So why could he sell something SO SO special? Any idea?
Old 03-04-2009, 06:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aida View Post
Anyone knows why the hell did he sell Peter's sunburst? I've always heard him talk about how greatful he was to Peter for having helped him and for having literally "given" to him his special guitar. I've even heard him say that whenever Peter wanted the guitar back he would give it to him.

So how is he gonna do it now?

I can't think about Moore needing more money or something like that. So why could he sell something SO SO special? Any idea?
I've heard he needed money for a wrist operation, so he could keep on shooting out those oh so lovely blues riffs.

The irony is this: If we had bothered buying his ****ty records, then he would have had more money, and wouldn't have to sell the guitar to afford the operation!!
Old 03-04-2009, 07:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Gary Moore

When Gary Moore was in possession of the guitar it was broken when he cracked up is car in a crash. The guitar was pieced back together. He has two or three other Les Pauls, assorted Strats and boutique guitars. It doesn't matter what people say when they receive gifts. When they own them it is their possession. This one got him a lot of money regardless of the fact that he paid Peter the amount Gary received for selling his Gibson SG. That was the price Peter asked, and thay Gary would give it back if Peter ever wanted it. (Peter knew that even if the 59 Les Paul was not Peter's personal guitar, it would have fetched a far greater dollar amount, even back then.)

side note: Gibson just released recreation of Michael Bloomfield's 59 les Paul and they were immediatly sold out at a $10,ooo price tag. It was not even Michael's favorite guitar. Michael also bought his after hearing Clapton in England. They never released a Freddy King Les Paul. King was the reason the brits were buying the Les Paul in the first place.

doodyhead
Old 03-05-2009, 11:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodyhead View Post
They never released a Freddy King Les Paul. King was the reason the brits were buying the Les Paul in the first place.

doodyhead
Not by name, but their '56 Gold Top reissue is about as close as you can get to a "Freddy King" model
Old 03-05-2009, 06:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Cool From the book "Masters of Heavy Metal"...

by Jas Obrecht (originally featured in Guitar Player magazine's September 1980 issue)

"As a three-piece known as Skid Row, Gary and his associates gigged almost incessantly. They soon became popular enough to share the stage with big-name groups from England and abroad. After a concert with the old Fleetwood Mac, Gary was told by the emcee that Peter Green (Fleetwood Mac's guitarist then) wanted to meet him. "I couldn't believe it," Moore states. "He has been one of my big heroes ever since he was with John Mayall. So I met Peter, and we got to be good friends. He liked my playing, and convinced Fleetwood Mac's manager to sign us up and get things happening for us in England."

Gary and Peter got together occassionally to jam, mostly without amps in hotel rooms after gigs. "I was really over the moon about it," Moore says. "Then in early '70, I was talking with Peter and he said that the band was driving him nuts -- he wanted to quit music altogether. He was tired of all the ego-tripping and glamour, and he started getting rid of all his possessions that he associated with stardom."

Peter sold his sunburst '59 Les Paul to Gary for about $200.00 even though it was worth far more. And to Moore, Green's guitar was the ultimate instrument; he had admired it since he was 14. Gary sold his SG-style Les Paul in order to get the money to buy the guitar, and once it was in his possession, he never let it out of his sight. "I lived in a pretty bad area, and my apartment didn't even have a decent lock on its door," he recalls. "So I took the guitar everywhere I went. It's a really great instrument, and I still use it quite a bit."

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."
Old 04-09-2009, 09:24 AM
Junior Ledgie

G Moore is now coming to my town on tour. I will go with my greeny's green t-shirt (the same a kwok's). Hope I see a scar on his wrist haha