The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-13-2014, 12:11 AM
Senior Ledgie

I was born in 1987 so the SnL version of FWM is the only one I've been able to see in concert, but I can't wait to see Chis! I loved them since The Dance so she was in the band when I first started liking them. Stevie is my favorite followed equally by Chris and Lindsey. I've always loved her songs even if they don't seem to have much depth to them. She doesn't seem to have had much stage presence either. She's happy not being in the spot light unlike Stevie and Lindsey. Not a bad thing. Too many people fighting for attention would be a bad thing. I can't wait to see her! I agree with the comment that she is the only reason Stevie will put out new material with FWM. I liked Lindsey's songs on the EP. How was that a cash grab anyway? And yea they had since 1998 to release BN. Not Chris's fault. But it is her fault for a new FWM album so thank you Song Bird! See you this year

Last edited by gssmith; 01-13-2014 at 12:30 AM..
Old 01-13-2014, 12:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
I'd agree if not for the fact that the last two tours have been Greatest Hits tours. I saw the SYW tour three times, and I had hoped that it would be a springboard for new Fleetwood Mac music. They COULD have built it into something very special and unique. They COULD have remained relevant as a band that releases new music.
While I appreciate the SYW album and think they could have made interesting recorded music together, if they'd continued, on stage I don't think they've ever equaled what they have with Christine and don't think the quartet was capable of doing so. It's not even about the setlist for me.

As for BN that was just a pipe dream. Lindsey was trying to get something going with that, but i don't see him having any success, even if Christine had stayed at home mired in polytunnels.

Michele
Old 01-13-2014, 12:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
I'd agree if not for the fact that the last two tours have been Greatest Hits tours. I saw the SYW tour three times, and I had hoped that it would be a springboard for new Fleetwood Mac music. They COULD have built it into something very special and unique. They COULD have remained relevant as a band that releases new music.

But they didn't. Instead, they rehashed same old drama (that is boring, IMO, in the grand scheme of the band) from 1976 in 2009 and 2013. They never came close to getting away from the "where's Christine" factor. In short, outside of SYW, for a longtime fan, they really didn't give a compelling reason to see them or be interested in them without Christine, hence why I thought it was watered down.
If the issue is it being a Greatest Hits tour, do you really think Chris' presence is going to change it all that much? Certainly, if they do a new album we might get a couple of new tracks live but they did that for SYW touring as well (though I was disappointed at how some were dropped so quickly or throughout). Overall, we'll have less obscure and unplayed tracks, I would imagine. Which I do understand though won't be thrilled about.

Yes, I understand that. They have a habit of rolling out the dramatics when the time comes for a new album and tour and it's eyeroll-worthy. However, is it possible that SOME longtime fans exist who still found them a viable live band without Christine, who enjoyed what was played and the dynamic there, and found it interesting?

If Christine HAD been there, there's no reason to think there would be some HUGE shift in what happened - Fleetwood Mac is Fleetwood Mac. They're a big live band - it's going to be a predictable setlist with barely any new songs, they're going to stir up drama for the media just in time for an album and show, etc. It may be watered down in terms of 'presence' ie. that her not being there made it feel 'less' or that something was missing, but I don't think her not being there had much of an impact on the main issue you mentioned - the feeling of it being a greatest hits tour. Certainly, Unleashed was much more of that anyway and I think you can feel that. This year, although not that fundamentally different in terms of setlist, I think the vibe was much better and more energetic and happier.

Yes, I wish they had pursued Fleetwood Mac as a more viable entity in the studio and as purveyors of new music after SYW, but I can understand why not and don't begrudge them their solo work, or the safety of 'greatest hits' moneymaking, tbh. It's a shame but, to me, I still don't see it as watered down from what The Dance was, for example.

"There’s nothing going on between you and me except that there will always be something going on between you and me. Until the day we die"
Old 01-13-2014, 12:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprilsrain View Post
Mick announced on stage tonight in Maui while he was playing at Uncle Willie K's Blues Festival that Christine is rejoining the band. Exact words were "This is the worst kept secret there is, but Christine McVie will be rejoining Fleetwood Mac!"

It was right after Willie did an acoustic rendition of Songbird with Mick on the talking drum.

Was a great performance. Mick played starting with that song, and then Billy Gibbons from ZZ Top came out. Mick played with Willie, Billy and the band for 5-6 songs after that. Was a PHENOMENAL night of blues. Patrick Simmons of the Doobie Brothers also joined them.

Glad I accidentally had a vacation in Maui right now
Thanks for breaking the news! It will be great to see Christine back where she belongs.
Old 01-13-2014, 12:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
While I appreciate the SYW album and think they could have made interesting recorded music together, if they'd continued, on stage I don't think they've ever equaled what they have with Christine and don't think the quartet was capable of doing so. It's not even about the setlist for me.
I don't think it would have ever equaled what they had, but at least it would have been something respectable. It's ironic, but I remember Lindsey making the "lounge act" comments about Stevie's and Christine's solo sets in the 1980s, and about Fleetwood Mac after he quit, but that's pretty much what they were.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 01-13-2014, 12:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I don't think it would have ever equaled what they had, but at least it would have been something respectable. It's ironic, but I remember Lindsey making the "lounge act" comments about Stevie's and Christine's solo sets in the 1980s, and about Fleetwood Mac after he quit, but that's pretty much what they were.
Just because you are playing your old hits doesn't make you a lounge act. I went to see Rod Stewart. Now that's a lounge act.

Michele
Old 01-13-2014, 12:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gssmith View Post
I can't wait to see Chis! I've always loved her songs even if they don't seem to have much depth to them.
Out of curiosity, have you listened to any pre-1975 Fleetwood Mac albums? They are actually what brought me around in regards to loving Christine. Her earlier Mac songs seem to be a bit more emotional & raw. She was once the mystical lady of Fleetwood Mac, too. She was wearing shawls & singing about love crossing time & space before anyone had heard of Stevie Nicks. In case you haven't delved into pre-1975 Christine, go stream "Prove Your Love" and "Why." Chris definitely seemed to shift her style some when Lindsey & Stevie joined. But once I connected with those early Chris songs, I started falling for the rest. And began realizing how vital she was to the signature sound that we all collectively know as Fleetwood Mac.
Old 01-13-2014, 12:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm sooooo happy to hear this. The chemistry will be just great. It's the real real Fleetwood Mac. Yaaaaaayyyy

Kevin
Old 01-13-2014, 12:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD;1117171[B
]I'd agree if not for the fact that the last two tours have been Greatest Hits tours. [/B] I saw the SYW tour three times, and I had hoped that it would be a springboard for new Fleetwood Mac music. They COULD have built it into something very special and unique. They COULD have remained relevant as a band that releases new music.

But they didn't. Instead, they rehashed same old drama (that is boring, IMO, in the grand scheme of the band) from 1976 in 2009 and 2013. They never came close to getting away from the "where's Christine" factor. In short, outside of SYW, for a longtime fan, they really didn't give a compelling reason to see them or be interested in them without Christine, hence why I thought it was watered down.
I think Lindsey had the same hopes, and I don't think he prefers rehashing to putting out new music, but he can't write all the songs on an FM album. Well, he could, but then it would be more like a solo album, and everyone would be mad at him for that.

Also, I think You and Nicole are kind of like both ends of the FM spectrum. Everyone came into this band at different times, and for so may different reasons. Just as many were there when Rumours came out, and fell in love with the harmonies, or the soap opera or the music itself, many others fell in love with this band after seeing The Dance (either in '97) or in repeats, over the years). Those fans were more than likely sucked in by the drama of Stevie and Lindsey. Others discovered this band even later, and fell in love with the band without Chris being a part of it, and so, even if they might like her, once they get to know her/see her, I can understand why they wouldn't care whether she's with them or not. I knew this band as a kid growing up in the 70's, but I only really got into them after seeing Live In Boston on TV in 2008. Lindsey's performance on that show is what did it for me, and my feelings for the rest of them came after diving headfirst into everything I could find about him. So, it shouldn't surprise anyone that someone doesn't care about her return, or if someone does care about it. Same for how we feel about a certain album. We can debate the merits based on music, or musicianship, or production, or what have you, but if someone came into the game due to their love of SYW, or because they saw them in concert in '09 or '13 I doubt they're going to say, it would have been so much better if Chris had been involved.
Old 01-13-2014, 12:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Around here, I'm sure there are plenty.

Still, that's makes it all the more amazing to me. The legendary line-up of Fleetwood Mac was Mick, John, Christine, Stevie, and Lindsey. If you've never had the chance to see THAT, why would you NOT want to, or how could you NOT be excited about that. The quintet is the legend, NOT the quartet. The quartet was a watered down, incomplete version of the quintet.
I think the overwhelming majority of people will be excited about the reunion. All you have to do is look at the gross ticket sales from The Dance tour. They have not even come close to breaking that record in subsequent tours. The people who post on The Ledge are only the tiniest fraction of fans that represent the fan base. We're talking a subculture of a subculture of a subculture.

This is huge news, and it's only the beginning.
Old 01-13-2014, 12:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicole21290 View Post
If the issue is it being a Greatest Hits tour, do you really think Chris' presence is going to change it all that much?
It might actually be worse. My attitude is if they're going to do a Greatest Hits tour, then I'd rather they do that with Christine than without, because THAT was the band that made the music in the first place.

Quote:
Overall, we'll have less obscure and unplayed tracks, I would imagine. Which I do understand though won't be thrilled about.
I agree, thought Christine's return really SHOULDN'T impact it. It will, but it SHOULDN'T. They've always been bad about taking risks. (I mean, I'd be all for replacing "Songbird" with "Never Forget," but that probably won't happen.)

Quote:
However, is it possible that SOME longtime fans exist who still found them a viable live band without Christine, who enjoyed what was played and the dynamic there, and found it interesting?
Yeah, but there are people who think Journey is a viable live band.

Quote:
It may be watered down in terms of 'presence' ie. that her not being there made it feel 'less' or that something was missing
Her voice, her unique keyboards (the Fleetwood-McVie-McVie rhythm section), her SONGS...There was a LOT missing.

Quote:
but I don't think her not being there had much of an impact on the main issue you mentioned - the feeling of it being a greatest hits tour.
But, if what we're getting is a "Rumours" era Greatest Hits tour, wouldn't it make MORE sense to have the "Rumours" band in full? If not, then it's watered-down, IMO.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 01-13-2014, 12:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpyNote View Post
I think the overwhelming majority of people will be excited about the reunion. All you have to do is look at the gross ticket sales from The Dance tour. They have not even come close to breaking that record in subsequent tours. The people who post on The Ledge are only the tiniest fraction of fans that represent the fan base. We're talking a subculture of a subculture of a subculture.

This is huge news, and it's only the beginning.
I'd agree that the majority are/will be excited and rightfully so.

However, I don't think the justification for thinking that is in the ticket sales differing... I think there are more factors (publicity of MTV's The Dance, a reunion after a long time, over-saturation of the touring market or not) involved than just Christine's presence or not, to be honest, in comparing how, say, the 1997 reunion concert/s sold than a tour in 2013 with the same line-up as other fairly recent tours.

"There’s nothing going on between you and me except that there will always be something going on between you and me. Until the day we die"
Old 01-13-2014, 12:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gssmith View Post
I was born in 1987 so the SnL version of FWM is the only one I've been able to see in concert, but I can't wait to see Chis! I loved them since The Dance so she was in the band when I first started liking them. Stevie is my favorite followed equally by Chris and Lindsey. I've always loved her songs even if they don't seem to have much depth to them. She doesn't seem to have had much stage presence either. She's happy not being in the spot light unlike Stevie and Lindsey. Not a bad thing. Too many people fighting for attention would be a bad thing. I can't wait to see her! I agree with the comment that she is the only reason Stevie will put out new material with FWM. I liked Lindsey's songs on the EP. How was that a cash grab anyway? And yea they had since 1998 to release BN. Not Chris's fault. But it is her fault for a new FWM album so thank you Song Bird! See you this year
I love Chris's songs, and there's no denying she's written some of their biggest hits. I love her ballads from Tusk, and no way can I resist turning up the volume for YMLF or SYLM. Personally, I don't think she lacks depth at all. Her style is more subtle, but it's beautiful.

I do agree that she lacks stage presence, however, and that that isn't necessarily a bad thing. Just like with her music, her demeanor adds a balance. I don't think it will take away from the drama, but may provide a refuge to those that find the drama to be too much What I fear most is the fact that while I get to hear Chris, and that's good, it also means hearing less of Lindsey, which, for me, isn't good
Old 01-13-2014, 01:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Oh my god. Christine! I've missed her voice so much! I can't WAIT to feel and hear the completeness when they come back on tour!
Oh sh*t. Another tour? With bonus Christine? Better start pinching pennies. Check under the couch cushions too.
But CHRISTINE!
But no solo Lindsey.

Just a dream, just a dream.

Last edited by HelloMonster; 01-13-2014 at 02:00 AM..
Old 01-13-2014, 02:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
It might actually be worse. My attitude is if they're going to do a Greatest Hits tour, then I'd rather they do that with Christine than without, because THAT was the band that made the music in the first place.
Sure. Makes perfect sense. It just leaves even less room for manoeuvre regarding slipping rarely played or new songs in the set, I think.

Quote:
I agree, thought Christine's return really SHOULDN'T impact it. It will, but it SHOULDN'T. They've always been bad about taking risks. (I mean, I'd be all for replacing "Songbird" with "Never Forget," but that probably won't happen.)
Hahaha to the bracketed. Because yeah, now THAT'S what one could call a pipedream.

Quote:
Her voice, her unique keyboards (the Fleetwood-McVie-McVie rhythm section), her SONGS...There was a LOT missing.
And I completely understand that, which is why I'm very happy for that vast majority of people who have really missed that. For me, personally, I honestly don't miss any of that - I miss the sound of Stevie, Lindsey AND Chris' voices blending, I think, but that's really it. I mean, I'll bop along to some of Chris' songs with the best of them but I feel the loss of certain other things MORE with her back, than the loss of her when she's gone. Again, just a different POV from a differently aged, differently focused fan, lol.

Quote:
But, if what we're getting is a "Rumours" era Greatest Hits tour, wouldn't it make MORE sense to have the "Rumours" band in full? If not, then it's watered-down, IMO.
Hahaha, yes, it would. But as much as they like running Rumours into the ground, it can never make up the entire setlist. And it's the less played songs we'll not get - and, for me, as enjoyable as seeing Chris will/would be, that's the real bummer... Sound-wise, yes, it's probably watered-down some and I think some songs suffer from a lack of Chris in the vocal mix more than others. I still enjoy the result tremendously, however. That might be different if I really did connect with Chris' contributions more and wasn't as keen on SnL and that whole thing. And if I'd been to a lot of shows to enable me to become bored with the whole overplayed show.