User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-12-2014, 11:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDenimLamp View Post
That could be it exactly...How many people at FM's shows were old enough to have bought TITN when it came out??? They probably have no concept of what the band was back in 1987...
I have always been aware of Fleetwood Mac, but not a fan per se. I liked their songs but it was not the music I listened to. So, Christine's presence in the band was always in my mind as part of the image of Fleetwood Mac. I watched their videos on MTV, knew their singles. I even really liked Christine's solo singles.

I just never saw them live with her and became a fan after SYW was released.

So, it wouldn't be totally fair to say I didn't have a concept of what the band was with Christine. I get it.
Old 01-12-2014, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicole21290 View Post
But does that make their (my) view and perspective any less legitimate? Does it make them any less of a fan? Certainly, I wasn't even born until 1990 so, NO, I didn't see them live with Christine. And I haven't seen them live with just Stevie and Lindsey upfront. That means I'm relying on lots of audio recordings from live shows, any video that exists from live shows, and from reviews. And I watch and listen to it. All. From 1975 until the Vegas gig. You can have a 'concept' of what it was like without living through it, although it's certainly not the same, unfortunately. No two fans are going to have an identical perspective on everything, anyway.

Just because I wasn't around then or because I haven't seen Chris with them doesn't mean I'm wrong or deluded for enjoying the band as a quartet and not missing Christine's presence. She's just not the draw for me in any way, to be honest - not back then, not now.
I actually can appreciate that you have a different perspective. I like the fact that this band has gone on for so long that we all have different eras/segments that we like. You're entitled to your opinion and for sure a lot of people would agree with you that FMac fronted by B/N is the best version. I, on the other hand completely disagree.
Old 01-12-2014, 11:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDenimLamp View Post
That could be it exactly...How many people at FM's shows were old enough to have bought TITN when it came out??? They probably have no concept of what the band was back in 1987...
Around here, I'm sure there are plenty.

Still, that's makes it all the more amazing to me. The legendary line-up of Fleetwood Mac was Mick, John, Christine, Stevie, and Lindsey. If you've never had the chance to see THAT, why would you NOT want to, or how could you NOT be excited about that. The quintet is the legend, NOT the quartet. The quartet was a watered down, incomplete version of the quintet.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 01-12-2014, 11:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
The quintet is the legend, NOT the quartet. The quartet was a watered down, incomplete version of the quintet.
I agree. On the other hand, I don't want to see Peter Green, so ...

Michele
Old 01-12-2014, 11:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Still, that's makes it all the more amazing to me. The legendary line-up of Fleetwood Mac was Mick, John, Christine, Stevie, and Lindsey. If you've never had the chance to see THAT, why would you NOT want to, or how could you NOT be excited about that. The quintet is the legend, NOT the quartet. The quartet was a watered down, incomplete version of the quintet.
Because my enjoyment of Fleetwood Mac doesn't come from the quintet, it's as simple as that. The quintet reduces what I like best about FM so why would I be excited about that?
Old 01-12-2014, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post

Michele
I always wanted to see Bob Welch/McVie led band.
Old 01-12-2014, 11:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
I saw him in 1998, and I'm good. If Peter Green still had an inkling of that fire, I'd be all for it.

Actually, that only strengthens the case for Christine’s return. They all still have it. They’re all well and they can still do it well.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 01-12-2014, 11:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:

Yes, and I've always been aware that that line-up of five was the band - grew up on their Greatest Hits. I just never knew their names individually or became interested in finding out more until this year. So, it was a surprise to me to find Christine was no longer with them.

Look, I'll happily go along and see them live and enjoy it. I just would prefer to see them without Chris, that's all. I'm not particularly fond of her songs live (think they're much better as studio creations) and, as I say, Stevie and Lindsey, individually and together, is what makes me interested and so time taken away from their songs live and on an album is something of a missed opportunity for me. I'd also prefer Buckingham Nicks to Fleetwood Mac. *shrugs* I don't care what is considered 'proper' or 'complete' - I care about what I enjoy.

I am thrilled for other people that she is back - I totally understand peoples' love of her and her music and I'm super glad you'll get a chance to see her live again or for the first time. I just don't share in it and selfishly have a different view. I don't see the quartet as watered down or incomplete in any way. It's just different.

"There’s nothing going on between you and me except that there will always be something going on between you and me. Until the day we die"
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
I always wanted to see Bob Welch/McVie led band.
Me too.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I saw him in 1998, and I'm good. If Peter Green still had an inkling of that fire, I'd be all for it.

Actually, that only strengthens the case for Christine’s return. They all still have it. They’re all well and they can still do it well.
Yes, and they'll milk it for a couple of years and you guys can have your solo folks back in 2016, aged and hobbled.

Michele
Old 01-12-2014, 11:36 PM

Quote:

The thing is, I thought I could never listen to, "Don't Stop" ever again. But that version in 2013 showed me what I've been missing.
Old 01-12-2014, 11:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
The thing is, I thought I could never listen to, "Don't Stop" ever again. But that version in 2013 showed me what I've been missing.
I didn't think I'd ever want to see Fleetwood Mac again until that.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 01-12-2014, 11:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Oh, what the hell? Get the pitchforks cos I'm another person who is not thrilled. AT ALL. No shame in admitting it either, to be honest.

I only discovered FM this year, have never seen them live (thanks, cancelled tour...), and the entire reason for loving them - for me - is basically Stevie and Lindsey. I am disappointed I won't get to see a SnL led Fleetwood Mac tour. I am disappointed at what the setlist will probably be (yes, I am seriously upset I won't get to see, most likely, WY or SG, etc). I am disappointed that the onstage dynamic will probably be different now. I am disappointed that both fans and the media are and will be acting like FM have been treading water for the past 15 years just waiting for Chris' return. I LOVE SYW. I LOVE the EP. I do enjoy the mix of vocals with the three of them but, quite honestly, the only plus side of this for me is that we'll probably get a new album and I'll have some new SnL songs to listen to...

Look, I don't begrudge anyone's joy and delight over Chris' return but it's not the only legitimate viewpoint and it doesn't make me less of a fan or a person. I won't skip her songs on an album and I won't take a bathroom break during them at a gig but I'm NOT thrilled about this and I'm NOT thrilled with the way people are acting towards those who aren't over the moon about this news. I enjoy the music and live videos for SnL's voices, for their chemistry, for their dialogue in song, etc. I see it still - I see more energy this year, more of a connection, and more happiness there. I don't feel anything is missing or stale and yes, that's probably something lacking in me but I don't connect emotionally with Christine's stuff on the same level as I do with SnL and I'm not sorry about it.

Sorry if this offends anyone but it's the simple truth. For me.

(also, I'm annoyed that this is going to probaby push back Buckingham Nicks plans further)
I also love SYW and EP, and while I am looking forward to hearing Chris (since I'm not getting solo tour yet), I completely understand this. You shouldn't have to apologize for not being excited about Chris's return. Sometimes we forget on here, that we haven't all been fans since the 70's, and we don't all live somewhere where we're blessed to be able to see a lot of shows (or tours). It reminds me of all the times I've seen posts on Facebook, or elsewhere, after a concert, and someone comes on and says, "where's Chrissie??", or "what, no Chris??", after claiming to be long-time, die-hard fans, and they're completely oblivious to the fact that she hasn't been with them for 15 years, by her own choice!! And to your credit, I like that you don't feel the need to bash the others in the band, or broadcast the fact that just because your favorite member of the band isn't front and center, that you might as well go to the bathroom, or get a drink, etc. Very classy on your part.
Old 01-12-2014, 11:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by redtulip View Post
I was alive when TITN came out and could have bought it (with parental help) but have never seen FM live with Christine. I don't think age has anything to do with it though, I think it depends on what you like best about FM. For me it's Lindsey, so Christine coming back is not something I'm excited about. I'd much rather have Lindsey back to solo.
Amen to THAT!
Old 01-13-2014, 12:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I don't see the quartet as watered down or incomplete in any way. It's just different.
I'd agree if not for the fact that the last two tours have been Greatest Hits tours. I saw the SYW tour three times, and I had hoped that it would be a springboard for new Fleetwood Mac music. They COULD have built it into something very special and unique. They COULD have remained relevant as a band that releases new music.

But they didn't. Instead, they rehashed same old drama (that is boring, IMO, in the grand scheme of the band) from 1976 in 2009 and 2013. They never came close to getting away from the "where's Christine" factor. In short, outside of SYW, for a longtime fan, they really didn't give a compelling reason to see them or be interested in them without Christine, hence why I thought it was watered down.

THE Stephen Hopkins