Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-18-2010, 11:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default 2010 Election

What issues are grabbing your attention? Who are you voting for? There is so much to discuss.
Old 10-18-2010, 11:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Here in New York, we got a nasty double-whammy: governor and US senator. for governor, I'm voting for the democrat, Andrew Cuomo. Aside from the fact that I think he'll do us some good, he's certainly a lot better than that tea party guy Carl Paladino. As for senator, I dunno who is running against Chuck Schumer (hell, I dunno if he's even up again), but for the other seat, it'll probably be Kirsten Gillibrand (hey, she's the less of 2 evils compared to the other guy, who's tea party).

You can add me on Facebook
Old 10-18-2010, 01:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Well, things are predictably nutty in Kentucky. In our Congressional District, the incumbent Representative (Democrat Ben Chandler) has faced a tough challenge. I think Chandler will win by a slim margin (name recognition, grandfather a popular governor, etc). Even though I will vote for him, Chandler's ads have been really terrible. (He won't even use the word "Democrat," for instance. In one, he's an "independent thinker" who is endorsed by the NRA )

Of course, the real "excitement" is the Senate race. The good: we'll finally get rid of Jim Bunning. The bad: we will replace him with Rand Paul. This guy is a sheer loon. The Democrat (Jack Conway) wasn't a good choice for a candidate IMO. He has little appeal outside of Louisville, unfortunately, and will just get hammered elsewhere.
Old 10-18-2010, 06:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Cool None...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vermicious knid View Post
What issues are grabbing your attention?
I am sick of the political issues in this country from both parties, so for the first time in my adult life I am very much considering not voting.

If I do go ahead and vote, it's mainly because of the governor's race in this state (First time 2 women will be on the ballot as the governor):

(US Congresswoman) R-Mary Fallin vs (Lt.Gov) D-Jari Askins

I think tribal politics are more interesting these days (One can read about tribal politics at the following link) :

http://www.nativetimes.com/

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."
Old 10-18-2010, 08:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Jerry Brown for Gov. of California. Hey, he dated Linda Ronstadt and once took her to an African Safari.

I'm just glad the governator Schwartzenegger will be gone.
Old 10-18-2010, 09:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySorcerer View Post

Of course, the real "excitement" is the Senate race. The good: we'll finally get rid of Jim Bunning. The bad: we will replace him with Rand Paul. This guy is a sheer loon. The Democrat (Jack Conway) wasn't a good choice for a candidate IMO. He has little appeal outside of Louisville, unfortunately, and will just get hammered elsewhere.
I watched their debate last night. Acrimonious! Conway had everything he needed to attack Rand Paul on the issues, so whoever decided to copy Elizabeth Dole's losing strategy of attacking based on religion was an idiot. Christians were probably won over by Paul's indignance and (fake, I suspect) assurances of his Christianity, and non-Christians are wondering why Conway is implying they are bad people. It sounds like Conway is trying to preserve our stupid War on Drugs anyway, so he can lose for all I care.
Old 10-21-2010, 02:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Talking

Well, I can tell you this, I'm NOT voting for the witch who for Halloween is dressing up as Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz. And I love the Wizard of Oz movie!

Lee
Old 10-23-2010, 10:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Exclamation Here's some of the stuff...

that is now going on here:

Motherhood an issue in Okla. governor's race

GOP candidate raps Democrat for being unmarried; both vie to be first woman to lead state

By SEAN MURPHY
The Associated Press

EDMOND, Okla. — In her quest to become Oklahoma's first female governor, Democrat Jari Askins has amassed an assortment of professional qualifications: she's been a judge, a legislator, the head of a state agency, and a corporate attorney.

But what she hasn't been is a wife. The 57-year-old career woman, who now serves as the state's lieutenant governor, has never been married or had children. And as this historic race between two women candidates for the state's top office nears its conclusion, that gap in her biography is attracting increasing attention.

At rallies and other appearances, opponent Rep. Mary Fallin, 55, a Republican congressman (Edit: Shouldn't the AP correct that to congressWOMAN???), regularly mentions her new husband and their combined six children. Fallin, who had two children from a previous marriage, married a divorced father of four in November. She says her family and her experience as a businesswoman and officeholder have made her most qualified to be governor.

But remarks by Fallin at a Tuesday campaign debate, in which she cited her motherhood as a key difference between the two candidates, drew groans from some in the audience and stirred discussion about whether the emphasis on Askins' unmarried status had gone too far.

Several other women in public life, including Republicans, objected. "I don't understand why that's important," said Brenda Reneau, a Republican and former state labor commissioner, questioning why a candidate's husband and children were worth stressing in a gubernatorial debate. "Is she going to bring them to work? I've never found one thing while I was in office that I needed experience in being married and having children."

State Sen. Judy Eason McIntyre, one of 17 women serving in Oklahoma's legislature, also said Fallin's comment seemed like a "cheap shot." McIntyre, a Democrat, said Askins' unmarried status "doesn't have anything to do with anything."

Fallin supporters insisted the contrast was appropriate. "How can you not talk about family?" said Tulsa banker Charlotte Mindeman.

But the awkward moment has stirred questions about gender and politics in a race that has been regarded as a feminist milestone here. Would calling attention to a woman's lack of spouse pay off in a conservative state where politicians campaign on family values? Or does no-holds-barred campaigning show how far women have progressed in a male-dominated arena?

Laura Boyd, who was the state's first female gubernatorial nominee when she ran in 1998, said she hopes voters will focus on other issues. "Oklahoma woman are beyond, and should be beyond that, by virtue of the fact we have this opportunity for a female chief executive," said Boyd, a Democrat.

But one voter, Shana Goodman, a Norman salon owner and a single mother, said she thinks it is important to know whether a candidate has raised a family. "Because I think when you are actively involved in raising children, it shows you know how to sacrifice yourself for the well being of others," she said.

Fallin and Askins are both powerhouses in Oklahoma politics. Askins, the daughter of an abstract company owner from Duncan, worked as an oil and gas attorney before making her way up through the state's political ranks. She became director of the state pardon and parole board before winning election to the legislature. Gregarious and quick with a hug for colleagues and prospective voters, she built a reputation as a consensus builder in a politically divided state House.

Fallin's parents both served terms as mayor of her hometown of Tecumseh. She was manager of a hotel chain when, she said, she grew frustrated with government regulation and ran for the legislature. She was later elected lieutenant governor and U.S. representative. She still favors the formal business suits and firm manner of a business executive.

The two women initially appeared cordial on the campaign trail, and both boasted of their strong conservative credentials. But Askins, trailing in the race, took a more aggressive posture after television ads sponsored by the Republican Governors Association began blasting her as a liberal and associating her with President Barack Obama.

At the first televised debate last week in Edmond, Askins at one point suggested Fallin was a "show horse," rather than a workhorse, provoking a reaction.

And, when asked at the debate what defines her as a candidate and distinguishes her from opponent, Fallin responded: "I think my experience is one of the things that sets me apart as a candidate for governor. First of all, being a mother, having children, raising a family."

Afterward, Fallin said she saw nothing wrong with her remark. "I was just explaining that these things give me a good perspective on the challenges Oklahomans face, and hopefully voters can relate to that," she said.

Askins declined to say if she felt Fallin's comment suggested she lacked an important credential for a woman. She said she never planned on being single.

"I always expected to be married and have a passel full of kids," Askins said. "But none of that ever happened. Rather than sit back and worry about it, I devoted my life to trying to serve all the children of Oklahoma."

Although women officeholders are becoming more common across the nation, their marital status still sometimes draws attention. Both of President Barack Obama's Supreme Court nominees, Sonia Sotomayor and Elena Kagan, occasionally were asked about never marrying or having children. Janet Napolitano, who has never married, was elected governor of Arizona and is now Homeland Security secretary.

For her part, Askins says she hasn't committed herself to being single forever.

"I'm still hoping that when I get married, he has better football tickets than I do and he likes to play golf," she said.

Copyright 2010 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."

Last edited by estranged4life; 10-23-2010 at 11:12 PM..
Old 11-03-2010, 08:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Five or six years ago, following an election night, this place would have been hopping.
Old 11-03-2010, 09:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Well, in NY, Albany is gonna get fixed by Governor Cuomo (yeah, I think Paladino's comments he made about how gays shouldn't have the same rights as everyone else didn't exactly sit well with voters lol). As for senator and everything else, who knows? But here's the best part: our new voting system is sooooooooooo high-tech: they make you fill out a scantron with a marker and then they scan it.

You can add me on Facebook
Old 11-03-2010, 10:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Congrats to:
Governor Moonbeam
Barbara Boxer
Harry Reid
Michael Bennet
The State Of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations
Lincoln Chafee
Whoever won that race against the crazy bitch in Delaware

Nah nahs to:
Meg Whitman and her $145 million. Maybe you should have given some of that to your Latina maid before you fired her.
Carly Fiorina
Sharon Angle
Ken Buck
The Republican party for winning the House. You can't pass it without the Senate which is still controlled by Democrats. Good luck with that.

Boos:
The state of California for not legalizing marijuana. First gay marriage and now this? Your reputation as a cool place to hang out is quickly diminishing. Hopefully Governor Moonbeam can bring back some kind of retro vibe to this state. I'm not loving all the hate on the left coast. At least you still have nice beaches.
Rand Paul. So you won by being a moderate tea bagger? Dude, it's the south. That's like the Yankees probability of losing to a Little League team. Keep preaching to the choir honey. It's a decent job with benefits in these tough economic times.
Old 11-03-2010, 11:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gldstwmn View Post
Congrats to:

Lincoln Chafee
Good for him.

Quote:
This was probably the highlight of the night.

Quote:
Rand Paul. So you won by being a moderate tea bagger? Dude, it's the south. That's like the Yankees probability of losing to a Little League team. Keep preaching to the choir honey. It's a decent job with benefits in these tough economic times.

I keep telling myself he can't be worse than Bunning.
Old 11-03-2010, 12:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gldstwmn View Post
Congrats to:
Governor Moonbeam
Barbara Boxer
Harry Reid
Michael Bennet
The State Of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations
Lincoln Chafee

Nah nahs to:
Meg Whitman and her $145 million. Maybe you should have given some of that to your Latina maid before you fired her.
Carly Fiorina
Sharon Angle
Ken Buck
The Republican party for winning the House. You can't pass it without the Senate which is still controlled by Democrats. Good luck with that.

Boos:
The state of California for not legalizing marijuana. First gay marriage and now this? Your reputation as a cool place to hang out is quickly diminishing. Hopefully Governor Moonbeam can bring back some kind of retro vibe to this state. I'm not loving all the hate on the left coast. At least you still have nice beaches.
I love absolutely everything about this post. Bolded things literally made me choke on laughter.
You're so like me
Old 11-03-2010, 12:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think (hope) being "cool" is the least of Californians' concerns.

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 11-03-2010, 12:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith77 View Post
I think (hope) being "cool" is the least of Californians' concerns.
Gaining another source of tax revenue should have been a huge concern, though.
You're so like me