User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-13-2014, 11:07 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazy poker View Post
. . . to throw in my humble opinion: i wouldn't wanna bet my car (sorry, slipkid, couldn't resist that one ), but i'm sure it's NOT peter on lead - the solo is way too "snowy white"!

don't forget: we're talking 1979! i loved "in the skies" and i still do, very much. but on a listen to the lead guitar style pg displayed on the "skies" album, it's plain to hear that by this time peter didn't have such a flowing in his playing any more. i always admired snowy for the fact that his playing showed such a strong greeny influence - there's nobody i know out there, who is capable of that like snowy white. and for my money the best solos on this album are by snowy.

too bad, i wasn't aware that this version exists when i met snowy last time 'round - i would've asked him about it. maybe someone else can try to make contact to him these days . . .
I think Peter's playing flows nicely on Fool No More...
And Snowy is listed as playing only on Slabo Day and shwring lead with Peter on the title track.
Old 08-15-2014, 05:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino View Post
sure, dino. and i didn't intend to raise the impression that peter played like a slouch on this album - not at all! but i do think there's little doubt about the fact, that by the time of recording "in the skies", he was already past the zenith of his guitar playing skills and had lost SOME of his erstwhile fluency and speed. not that i would get off on speedy playing, especially! i get off on TASTY playing, and he still had plenty of that then, for sure!

Quote:
And Snowy is listed as playing only on Slabo Day and shwring lead with Peter on the title track.
certainly true. nevertheless i consider these the album's best solos - sorry.

by the way - for the odd "uninitiated" here on the board: check out snowy white's fantastic greeny guitar impersonations on the first "blues agency" album "change my life" from 1988 - simply sublime!

but, please, don't get me wrong: don't wanna put down the original hero of this forum in any kind of form - how could i: he was ever so much an inspiration for my own playing, and for this i'll always be grateful!
Old 08-16-2014, 10:07 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
My opinion is that Peter played lead on this version, some of it is absolutely brilliant....

Mario.
Old 08-18-2014, 02:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario View Post
My opinion is that Peter played lead on this version, some of it is absolutely brilliant....

Mario.
Hi Mario!
Do you think Peter is playing on the album version, or on the rehearsal version on Snowy's "Goldtop" album?
Old 08-18-2014, 02:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazy poker View Post
sure, dino. and i didn't intend to raise the impression that peter played like a slouch on this album - not at all! but i do think there's little doubt about the fact, that by the time of recording "in the skies", he was already past the zenith of his guitar playing skills and had lost SOME of his erstwhile fluency and speed. not that i would get off on speedy playing, especially! i get off on TASTY playing, and he still had plenty of that then, for sure!

certainly true. nevertheless i consider these the album's best solos - sorry.

by the way - for the odd "uninitiated" here on the board: check out snowy white's fantastic greeny guitar impersonations on the first "blues agency" album "change my life" from 1988 - simply sublime!

but, please, don't get me wrong: don't wanna put down the original hero of this forum in any kind of form - how could i: he was ever so much an inspiration for my own playing, and for this i'll always be grateful!
Hey, no offence taken!
Yes the Slabo Day lead playing is quite stunning and Snowy is a great player.
I own one of his albums but feel the compositions and the vocals are not that interesting - a shame as the solos are good. Does he sing on the Blues Agency album?
I would rate him as a solid guitarist foremost. Nothing unusual, it's a select few that are the complete package - guitarist, vocalist, composer. Greeny, Jimi...not many more.
Old 08-18-2014, 04:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Hey, no offence taken!
Yes the Slabo Day lead playing is quite stunning and Snowy is a great player.
I own one of his albums but feel the compositions and the vocals are not that interesting - a shame as the solos are good. Does he sing on the Blues Agency album?
I would rate him as a solid guitarist foremost. Nothing unusual, it's a select few that are the complete package - guitarist, vocalist, composer. Greeny, Jimi...not many more.
well, listen to this and decide for yourself. he's not singing, by the way. the singer's a guy called graham bell (who fronted bell & arc in '70/'71), but i would've preferred snowy singin', honestly. the others are jeff allen on drums and kuma harada on bass. but snowy on guitar credits greeny's playing all over the place - enjoy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5dBLJC5M-I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAJbBtQz1JE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwMshnYdH_0
Old 08-18-2014, 04:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Talking

Quote:
Hi Mario!
Do you think Peter is playing on the album version, or on the rehearsal version on Snowy's "Goldtop" album?
Album version has Snowy White on lead guitar,

the rehearsal version has Peter playing lead , at least in my humble opinion.

Mario.