The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-01-2015, 08:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Oh GROAN for the headline. I guess it's used because the words "Taylor Swifts" will be picked up by more search engines and get web hits for the article that "Lindsey Buckingham" wouldn't.

Michele
Old 05-01-2015, 09:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

better Billboard title and another article -

http://www.billboard.com/articles/ne...ource=PourOver

Watch Fleetwood Mac's Lindsey Buckingham Reunite With USC Band, Perform 'Tusk' & 'Go Your Own Way'
ARTICLESNEWS
By Colin Stutz | May 01, 2015 9:44 PM EDT

Fleetwood Mac
Fleetwood Mac
Danny Clinch

Fleetwood Mac's Lindsey Buckingham reunited with the University of Southern California marching band Wednesday for a surprise performance at the school's Bovard Auditorium.

Fleetwood Mac's Lindsey Buckingham Speaks at USC, Confesses 'I Like Taylor Swift'

Buckingham originally worked with the university's marching band on the 1979 recording of "Tusk," which has become a theme song at USC sporting events since, as well as a favorite of the seminal rock band. He was visiting USC to speak for the entrepreneurship class "The Leap," for which previous guests have included Quincy Jones, Pete Carroll and Jessica Alba.

Buckingham's speech included solo acoustic performances of "Never Going Back Again," "Bleed to Love Her" and "Big Love." With the USC marching band, he performed "Tusk" and "Go Your Own Way." Watch those latter two performances below.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"

Last edited by elle; 05-08-2015 at 04:04 PM..
Old 05-01-2015, 09:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post

i tried to go through this and kinda leave in just parts and statements that were either funny or weird or at least where he used a bit different wording than he normally does...
So "refined" and "unrefined" get the blue? 'Cause unrefined is new, but he's always saying "refined primitive." He probably had that in his marriage vows.

I love the catheter joke.

Michele
Old 05-01-2015, 09:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Hello Monster, you always bring us the good stuff.

Michele
Old 05-01-2015, 09:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
So "refined" and "unrefined" get the blue? 'Cause unrefined is new, but he's always saying "refined primitive." He probably had that in his marriage vows.

I love the catheter joke.

Michele
lol yeah. cause unrefined for Mick is new. although he tried to soften it immediately after.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 05-01-2015, 10:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Hello Monster, you always bring us the good stuff.

Michele
Thank you, Michele. Just doing what I can!
Just a dream, just a dream.
Old 05-02-2015, 09:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Fleetwood Mac's Lindsey Buckingham reunites with USC band for 'Tusk'

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...429-story.html

Fleetwood Mac's Lindsey Buckingham reunites with USC band for 'Tusk'

By Ryan Faughnder

Fleetwood Mac's Lindsey Buckingham reunited with some old bandmates Wednesday night -- the USC marching band, to be exact.

After a Q&A session in USC's Bovard Auditorium, Buckingham and the Trojan musicians tore through USC favorite "Tusk," followed by "Go Your Own Way," to the delight of the students in attendance and the parents they brought along.

"Tusk" has long been associated with the private school, with brass chords as familiar to USC devotees as the university's actual fight song. The original 1979 version was recorded with the USC band at Dodger Stadium and has been a game-day staple since.

Leading up to the short performance, Buckingham answered questions from David Belasco, a professor at USC's Marshall School of Business. Throughout, Buckingham sprinkled in solo acoustic renditions of "Never Going Back Again," "Bleed to Love Her" and "Big Love."

The event was part of Belasco's USC course "The Leap," a series of discussions with business leaders and innovators about the "entrepreneurial mindset." Guests have included Quincy Jones, Pete Carroll and Jessica Alba.

But the Buckingham visit was less about straight-ahead business advice than the successes and setbacks of the rock star's long career. Still, he did deliver some wisdom about maintaining artistic credibility in the face of commercial pressures and public expectations.

He cited the creation of the double-album "Tusk" -- the far less commercially successful follow-up to "Rumours" -- as an example.

"What happens with artists, or people who start off doing things for the right reasons, is that you slowly start to paint yourself into a corner by doing what people outside of the creative world are asking you to do, and I think that's antithetical to being an artist," he said.

"['Tusk'] is my favorite album of all these albums, because of the reason it was done," Buckingham said. "It started me down the path I still try to aspire to, which is to be an artist and not just a craftsman who is doing business."

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."
Old 05-02-2015, 10:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Amazing
Talk about band perks
Old 05-02-2015, 11:01 AM
bombaysaffires
This message has been deleted by bombaysaffires.
Old 05-02-2015, 11:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Ha, he mentions that Christine sold her publishing.

I don't know if Vivfox will read this, but I want you to know that you've broken my heart Viv, regarding that lost Billboard.

Michele
Every once in a while I have searched through my entire collection looking for that article. I couldn't and wouldn't have thrown that away because I can still envision it in my mind. But it is no where to be found. All my searches have had you in mind. I'm still hoping that it will turn up one day. Almost like searching for my lost car keys when they've been tightly gripped in my hand the whole time.
Old 05-02-2015, 11:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

gotta love it (although text has his exact quote this time so it kinda works all the way around - to attract attention and transmit what he actually said):

http://www.nme.com/news/fleetwood-ma...gn=taylorswift

Fleetwood Mac's Lindsey Buckingham says he 'likes and admires' Taylor Swift

Buckingham made the comment at an event in Los Angeles on Wednesday (April 29)

image: http://nme.assets.ipccdn.co.uk/image...etty464382.jpg

Fleetwood Mac's Lindsey Buckingham says he 'likes and admires' Taylor Swift Photo: Getty

Fleetwood Mac guitarist Lindsey Buckingham has spoken of his admiration for pop singer Taylor Swift.

Buckingham, whose band kick off their 2015 European tour later this month, was speaking at the University of South California's Bovard Auditorium in Los Angeles on Wednesday (April 29). According to Billboard, when asked by the night's audience what current artist has the "staying power" of his group, Buckingham opted for Swift.

image: http://nme.assets.ipccdn.co.uk/image...1_10060314.jpg

"I actually like Taylor Swift," Buckingham said in response. "I admire what she's been able to do on some levels... There are a ton of really good people out there [though]. I don’t think music is any less vital [these days]. I think it’s a little harder to churn out interfaces with sociology. When I was a kid and Elvis Presley broke through to a middle class, white audience, it was a sociological phenomenon that lasted through the Beatles and even a bit through Fleetwood Mac."

Fleetwood Mac will kick off their European tour with a series of UK and Ireland dates. The recently-reunited band will start things off with back-to-back shows at London's 02 Arena at the end of May, before travelling to Birmingham, Manchester, Glasgow, Dublin and Leeds during June. The band will also headline The Isle Of Wight Festival in June, their only UK festival appearance of 2015.

Taylor Swift, meanwhile, recently spoke of a possible collaboration with Kanye West. She said: "We've never been in a studio together, but he's got a lot of amazing ideas... He's one of those people that's just like idea, idea, idea. He's very creative and... I think we've talked about it but we've also talked about so many other things... I completely respect him as a producer. So, that's all I know now."

Fleetwood Mac will play the following live dates:

London O2 Arena (May 27, 28, June 22, 24, 26, 27)
Birmingham Genting Arena (June 8, 9, July 4)
Manchester Arena (June 12, July 1)
Glasgow SSE Hydro (June 16, 17, July 8)
Dublin 3Arena (June 20)
Leeds First Direct Arena (June 30, July 5)

To check the availability of Fleetwood Mac tickets and get all the latest listings, go to NME.COM/TICKETS now, or call 0844 858 6765.

Read more at http://www.nme.com/news/fleetwood-ma...ajXRKEaVPOD.99

Old 05-02-2015, 12:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
Every once in a while I have searched through my entire collection looking for that article. I couldn't and wouldn't have thrown that away because I can still envision it in my mind. But it is no where to be found. All my searches have had you in mind. I'm still hoping that it will turn up one day. Almost like searching for my lost car keys when they've been tightly gripped in my hand the whole time.
Ha ha. I am actually surprised that it is not somewhere digitally yet, since so many of the newspapers have their archived stuff online. I just wonder how much that check was for. But thanks for looking out for it.

Michele
Old 05-02-2015, 12:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Yes, Mick does stand out in every way doesn't he? I mean, from his personality and "big heart" to his height and his position on the drums where he is elevated over the rest of them and can see everything.

When Mick discussed the band in Disney Going Home he talked about how it was to turn and see John and Chris holding hands and then on the other side Stevie and Lindsey doing so. And yes, he's not the fifth wheel, but he is a man among two couples.

It all wraps itself up into a nice symbolic bow.

Michele
Old 05-02-2015, 12:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
I recently had my house painted which gave me a good opportunity (actually forced me) to go through all the FM/SN stuff I had squirreled away in a closet. I was hoping to finally find that clipping myself, but to no avail. At least we know what we saw, right Viv?
Old 05-02-2015, 12:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

USC News, by Julie Tilsner 5/1/2015

http://news.usc.edu/80727/lindsey-bu...le-last-class/

Lindsey Buckingham makes for a memorable last class

Fleetwood Mac guitarist talks with (and sings for) students at Bovard, and the Trojan Marching Band stops by. ‘Tusk,’ anyone?

In what was arguably one of the most memorable final class sessions ever, Lindsey Buckingham and the USC Trojan Marching Band reenacted the iconic “Tusk” from the 1979 Fleetwood Mac album of the same name before a capacity crowd of students, alumni, faculty, staff and friends at Bovard Auditorium.

The April 29 event was the final meeting of David Belasco’s BAEP 470 class, “Taking the Leap,” which focused on the entrepreneurial mindset and has featured guests including Jessica Alba, Tom Barrack, Mark Cuban and Laird Hamilton.

Belasco, co-director of the USC Lloyd Greif Center for Entrepreneurial Studies, had long hinted about his special guest, and with an amplifier sitting onstage, it was clear this would be no ordinary lecture.

“We use the term ‘rock star’ a lot today to describe somebody who has done something great,” he said. “But tonight, we have an actual rock star.”

Part talk, part concert

The evening was equal parts artistic discourse and concert, with Buckingham treating the audience to acoustic performances of classic Fleetwood Mac songs such as “Never Going Back Again,” “Bleed to Love Her” and “Big Love.”

Buckingham, who grew up in Atherton, Calif., taught himself guitar after his older brothers started listening to Elvis Presley and other early rockers.

He met singer/songwriter Stevie Nicks in high school, but didn’t collaborate with her until later when he’d started a band. It was her idea to go to Los Angeles and try for a record deal.

The duo Buckingham Nicks had modest success, but had been dropped by their label when in 1975 English drummer Mick Fleetwood asked them to join his band, Fleetwood Mac.

Joining an established band had its challenges, Buckingham said: He had to pare down his orchestral style of guitar to fit into the group, “but that’s just one of the compromises you have to make if you call yourself a band member.”

The band’s 1977 album Rumours hit the top of the charts and stayed there for 31 weeks, selling some 40 million copies and becoming the sixth best-selling album of all time.

Buckingham said it was the raw pain of breakups – he and Nicks were splitting up after six years, and Christine McVie and the band’s bassist, John McVie, had also separated – that fueled the music and lyrics so many related to.

“It was laid bare for all to see,” he said. “The songs were true dialogues from three different writers. People felt that.”

Art and suffering

Belasco asked if great art takes great suffering. Buckingham said perhaps, but not to the extent people think.

“At the very least, suffering will broaden your emotional landscape,” he said. “But I don’t think you need to suffer to make effective art.”

There was definite artistic fallout from the success of Rumours, Buckingham said. “At some point it stopped being about the art and started being about the success,” he said.

From a business standpoint they were expected to replicate the success of that album.

“Rumours was a moment in time,” he said. “What happens with art is you slowly start painting yourself into a corner, and that’s antithetical to being an artist.”

The band’s next album, Tusk, was in large part an artistic backlash against superstardom, he said.

That album’s title song, of course, is the track that featured the USC Trojan Marching Band. It was Fleetwood’s idea, he said, to mesh a marching band sound with a driving drum beat: “It was a sublime marriage of two completely different worlds.”

The double-album, while critically panned, sold 4 million copies worldwide.

“Tusk is my favorite album because it set me on the path to be an artist, and not just a craftsman doing music,” said Buckingham.

The evening ended with Buckingham and the Trojan Marching Band performing “Tusk” and “Go Your Own Way” to a cheering crowd. Arthur C. Bartner, who has directed the band for more than four decades and was present at the 1979 taping of the “Tusk” video at Dodger Stadium, conducted from the stage. Earlier in the evening, the Lloyd Greif Center for Entrepreneurial Studies honored Ben Van de Bunt, a member of the Center’s advisory board, with the Lead Blocker Award, for his role in bringing speakers to USC.

In addition to Buckingham, he helped bring Cindy Crawford, Tony Robbins and Gary Vaynerchuk to speak at the Center. Presenting the award were USC Athletic Director Pat Haden ’75 and J.K. McKay ’75, senior associate athletic director. At the end of the program, Helena Yli-Renko, co-director of the Lloyd Greif Center, holder of the Orfalea Director’s Chair in Entrepreneurship and associate professor of clinical entrepreneurship, awarded Buckingham with the Musical Entrepreneur of the Year award.
Old 05-02-2015, 01:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Ha ha. I am actually surprised that it is not somewhere digitally yet, since so many of the newspapers have their archived stuff online. I just wonder how much that check was for. But thanks for looking out for it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInNV View Post
I recently had my house painted which gave me a good opportunity (actually forced me) to go through all the FM/SN stuff I had squirreled away in a closet. I was hoping to finally find that clipping myself, but to no avail. At least we know what we saw, right Viv?
Yes Mike. I was trying to remember which Ledgie besides me said he saw that. Wasn't there one more Ledgie besides us that saw?

Michelle, my memory tells me it was one hundred and fifty million dollars but that seems rather absurd if you think about it.