Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-03-2013, 04:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Ultimate Classic Rock Top 10 Lindsey Solo Songs

I don't know if this is new, but I couldn't find a thread for it.

TOP 10 LINDSEY BUCKINGHAM SOLO SONGS
by Nick DeRiso

10 'Don't Look Down'

The opening of 'Don't Look Down' provides a terrific early example of Buckingham's modern electro-acoustic style, which recalls classical nylon-string guitar. He then launches into a brilliantly layered pop confection that sounds very much like the music he made on what was then assumed to be his final Mac album, 'Tango in the Night.'

9 'Go Insane'

At first, Buckingham used his solo projects to try out more free-form ideas (check out 'Go Insane''s 'D.W. Suite,' an intriguing tribute to the Beach Boys' Dennis Wilson). But when he put his mind to it, Buckingham could unleash a hit like 'Go Insane.' Later retooled as a slow-boiling solo number at Fleetwood Mac concerts, this tale of romantic entanglement went all the way to No. 23.

8 'Gift of Screws'

A classic Buckingham howler supposedly inspired by an Emily Dickinson poem, 'Gift of Screws' was originally recorded for Fleetwood Mac's 2003 album 'Say You Will,' but it didn't show up until five years later on Buckingham's solo LP of the same name. Mick Fleetwood and John McVie provide a stomping cadence, but, in a thrilling moment, the song nearly comes unhinged with Buckingham's eruptive guitar solo.

7 'Holiday Road'

Hard to believe this seemingly ubiquitous, deliriously fun track made it to only No. 83. Credit the use of 'Holiday Road' in the opening credits of 'National Lampoon's Vacation' and in two of its three sequels -- 1985's 'National Lampoon's European Vacation' and 1997's 'Vegas Vacation.' A complete hoot, right down to the barking dog during the fade.

6 'Countdown'

The opening lick points to some kind of anthem, but then Buckingham headfakes into this gorgeously languid lament. That complexity -- which has always powered his best music, with and without Fleetwood Mac -- is probably to blame for this track's failure to crack the Top 100.

5 'Seeds We Sow'

Forget Buckingham's soapy relationship -- musical and otherwise -- with Stevie Nicks. This song, presented amid a torrent of solo guitar, is one of his rawest examinations of life's last act. Recorded at home, 'Seeds We Sow' sounds like a secret shared with the listener and no one else.

4 'Someone's Gotta Change Your Mind'

Buckingham's fabled attention to craft is shown in high relief on this towering song of sadness, a rare track on our list of the Top 10 Lindsey Buckingham Solo Songs to feature someone other than the artist himself. David Campbell's swirling orchestration gives 'Someone's Gonna Change' a sense of panoramic emotion. And that's Mick Fleetwood sitting in on drums once again.

3 'Stars Are Crazy'

The largely acoustic 'Seeds We Sow,' Buckingham's first self-released album following a lengthy stint with Warner Bros. Records, is dominated by concurrent introspection, with 'Stars Are Crazy' a highlight. When Buckingham launches into the darkly emotional chorus ("Sometimes we analyze, almost apologize ... wondering if the stars are crazy"), he perfectly captures the spiraling emptiness of a lost love.

2 'Soul Drifter'

A pretty little pop pastry on the surface, this wanderer's tale is every bit as revelatory as any of Buckingham's more recent and far more denuded solo efforts. It's no surprise that Buckingham is such a restless artist. But he's never expressed those gypsy desires so eloquently, and certainly never in such an infectious setting.

1 'Trouble'

The endlessly fascinating 'Trouble' (a Top 10 hit) sets an introspective template for Buckingham's entire solo career -- even as it hurtles along on one of his most unforgettable hooks. At times, it's like he's in on the joke, an eternal optimist who can easily get past whatever that trouble was. Other times -- as when it's more fully explored in concert -- the space between that cocksure young man and graying middle-age uncertainty becomes a chasm.

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/linds...ckback=twitter
Old 10-03-2013, 06:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I like this list. I wouldn't really put Holiday Road on there, but I like this list.

Elle, Stars Are Crazy is a classic. Concede. But I wouldn't put a song on there that he didn't write, actually. No, not Blue Letter either.

Michele
Old 10-03-2013, 07:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

See, I really loved Stars Are Crazy live. But it takes me a lot of effort to resist the urge to skip it on the album. Something about it just doesn't work for me.
Old 10-03-2013, 08:12 PM
Junior Ledgie

im suprised.. i wouldve changed the list a little.. maybe put Thats The Way That Love Goes in the top 3.. but hey, we all have a different list, eh?
Old 10-03-2013, 08:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
I like this list. I wouldn't really put Holiday Road on there, but I like this list.

Elle, Stars Are Crazy is a classic. Concede. But I wouldn't put a song on there that he didn't write, actually. No, not Blue Letter either.

Michele

I'm with you on Stars Are Crazy. I love it on the album, and it was just gorgeous live, but there are so many other great songs that are 100% written by him, I would have preferred one of them on this list.

Overall, I like this list too, and I love that Holiday Road is there, lol. It's a classic, and I agree with the writer, it's amazing it didn't make it higher on the charts.

Mostly, though, I'm thrilled to see Seeds We Sow on there. I think it's a song that took time for a lot of fans to warm to, but I think it more than deserves it's place in the top 5

Someone's Gotta Change Your Mind, Gift of Screws and Soul Drifter are fine choices too. I like that the list spans a lot of different styles and eras, without omitting either the obvious (highest charting) choices (e.g., Go Insane, Trouble) or the (for the casual listener) more obscure (e.g., Seeds We Sow, SGCYM).
Old 10-03-2013, 08:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I would love to see Rock Away Blind on here since it's my favorite solo Lindsey song, but I do like Stars and was pleasantly surprised to see it make the list. And I'm glad two songs from SWS made it. I sort of wish Trouble wouldn't have been number one though, because I think he has much better songs than that. I'd like to see Down on Rodeo on here as well.
Old 10-03-2013, 09:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsfan View Post
Someone's Gotta Change Your Mind, Gift of Screws and Soul Drifter are fine choices too. I like that the list spans a lot of different styles and eras, without omitting either the obvious (highest charting) choices (e.g., Go Insane, Trouble) or the (for the casual listener) more obscure (e.g., Seeds We Sow, SGCYM).
Yes, I really respect the mix of choices and I love to see Gift of Screws included. I wish Lindsey would keep it in his setlist. It's such a short song that you can squeeze it in almost anywhere.

Michele
Old 10-03-2013, 11:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I love that Someone's Got To Change Your Mind is on here. I adore that song. Great list.
Old 10-04-2013, 02:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SadAngel86 View Post
I love that Someone's Got To Change Your Mind is on here. I adore that song. Great list.
It's a very beautiful song, I like it too!!!!

I like the list. 3 songs from OOTC, that's great. Rare to see Holiday Road, but it's maybe one of his most representative songs. My mentions to Surrender The Rain and I Want You.
Regards!
Old 10-05-2013, 12:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Yes, I really respect the mix of choices and I love to see Gift of Screws included. I wish Lindsey would keep it in his setlist. It's such a short song that you can squeeze it in almost anywhere.

Michele
GOS is one of the songs I'm most hoping to hear on his next solo tour. I'd love to hear it solo acoustic, too. I certainly don't want him to lose the M1 all together, but I would love to hear him do some of his rockers like he was playing them for friends, sitting around in his living room (as if he would even play for friends sitting around in his living room). I can dream...
Old 10-11-2013, 05:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by liddybuck View Post
im suprised.. i wouldve changed the list a little.. maybe put Thats The Way That Love Goes in the top 3.. but hey, we all have a different list, eh?
only now seeing this list, since wireless was spotty on the trip...

i'm completely with you on That's The Way.

as you all probably know by now (and Michele points out with Stars ), i very much dislike about the half of this list.

i love that Gift of Screws is on it, as well as Go Insane and Don't Look Down, i adore those songs. it tickles me that Holiday Road is on it. i like that Seeds found the place there... btw last few FM shows we've seen someone said they fully expected Seeds to start, instead of Say Goodbye, since we are so used to it closing the show.

but Trouble, Soul Drifter, Stars, Countdown i can definitely do without and would never put them on top 10 solo LB list. Trouble especially. yes it was a hit. and yeah, i can't stand it, other than that quirky start of it on the record.

i would have In Our Own Time on my top 10 list, definitely. and Rodeo. and Rock Away Blind.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 10-12-2013, 03:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by redtulip View Post

TOP 10 LINDSEY BUCKINGHAM SOLO SONGS
by Nick DeRiso

1 'Trouble'

How did this make the list?
Old 10-12-2013, 12:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnotafraid View Post
How did this make the list?
How could it not?

I would not put it at #1, however.

Michele
Old 10-13-2013, 01:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

How could it not?

Michele

I've never heard his version of this song.

Interesting...
Old 10-15-2013, 12:39 AM
Junior Ledgie

Default Cad

I vote for Cast Away Dreams, can't hear enough of it.