Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-07-2003, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve
I love the critics (spicy conversations) such as from "Verna Carna(sp?) among others. A healthy debate is fabulous.
Steve, I'm cracking up. I think you mean me, good ole (or would that be mean ole) CarneVaca. What's especially funny about that is my real name often stumps people who proceed to botch it trying to spell it. Anyway, thank you, my friend, for the compliment.

As for you Kenzo, I accept your apology. No harm done.
Old 03-07-2003, 10:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: YES!

Quote:
Originally posted by kenzo
[B]I guess I haven't "understanded" and have accomplished the "exhibition your ignorance".
]
You got me good there! (hides in embarassment) See what getting me all worked up does!!

Meanwhile, frankly I'm surprised that the "American-English" term for 'understood' isn't 'understanded' ....
Old 03-07-2003, 11:13 AM

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: YES!

Quote:
Originally posted by DownOnRodeo
Meanwhile, frankly I'm surprised that the "American-English" term for 'understood' isn't 'understanded' ....
Not to stir up any more controversy, but the English language has very little logic built into it, primarily because it is an amalgamation of so many languages, mostly Latin and French. It is very pliable. Shakespeare alone coined some 1,000 words. Of course, as a result of this flexibility, English is also the richest language from a vocabulary standpoint.*

*Brought to you by COLL (the Council on Language Logic)

Last edited by CarneVaca; 03-07-2003 at 04:24 PM..
Old 03-07-2003, 12:31 PM
Ledgie

Default My $.02

I just wanted to state a few things here:

I'm only 16, I have no job, and I spend most of my time doing school stuff. So, when I wanna hear the new song, Peacekeeper, but don't have a credit card to order it from Mick AND can't just rely on the luck of hearing it on the radio, I will be tempted to download it myself. However, were it not available for download, then I would, as someone else said earlier, sit around and wait all day until WMGX plays it, then I would tape it and listen to it whenever I want.

Fleetwood Mac should EXPECT this by only offering the single to radio stations. If it were at Walmart right now, I'd probably be begging my parents for a little bit of spare cash right now to go buy it.

As an analogy, let me ask a question. I play guitar. I don't go out and buy Guitar Magazine or Guitar One, but I DO go online to various webpages that show how to play these songs the SAME way as in the books. Is this stealing?

Or, on the same note, is reading a magazine artcile from the Rolling Stone, originally published in 1978, stealing if I just read the typed out version on this website?

I'm not trying to cause problems. I just wanted to let everyone know how I feel about this issue. Also, it makes me feel very good about the people here to see them so willing to appologize to each other for people of BOTH sides of this conflict saying rude and childish things.

I can get away with it though, cause I'm only 16. I'm still a child. But don't worry, I won't call anyone a poopyhead or anything! I can respect people's opinions.

This all reminds me of a post awhile back about political parties, where I was very offended by so many people's anti-Republican remarks. But in the end, it all worked out like this has, making me feel safe with this great bunch of people.

BTW, Kenzo, welcome the the Ledge!

Adam Richardson
Old 03-07-2003, 07:31 PM
Ledgie

Well put, Adam. Adults can say some pretty messed up things to each other. Thanks for your insightful comments!!
Old 03-07-2003, 08:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: YES!

Quote:
Originally posted by CarneVaca
Not to stir up any more controversy, but the English language has very little logic built into it, primarily because it is an amalgamation of so many languages, mostly Latin and French. It is very pliable. Shakespeare alone coined some 1,000 words. Of course, as a result of this flexibility, English is also the richest language from a vocabulary standpoint.*
Yeah absolutely. It's pliability is a bit irksome, and sometimes when trying to explain concepts of English to foreigners I honestly wonder how I ever learnt and mastered (hah - not quite I guess! ) the language.

But that's off topic. I honestly wasn't having a go at Americans (well, maybe 10%!!) when I made that remark - there are many such words that have been simplified like that in your vocabulary, or to bring some more 'logic' to it. I'll swear by proper English til the day I die, but even many Australian educators believe such concepts as phonetic spelling which prevail in American-English should be taught here to make literacy easier.
Old 03-07-2003, 10:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default OT: English Language

Quote:
Originally posted by CarneVaca

I apologize for going off topic, but I wanted to add really quickly that for all its flaws, one great thing about the English language is that it doesn't as a rule have gendered word endings (you know, the old "bonita/bonito" thing). I was reading some French feminist literary criticism (not for fun) and the author kept going on and on about how words are all patriarchal and women have no language of their own to make their views known, and I was like "huh?" Then I realized that since I was reading the English translation, I was missing out on all her examples of gendered language (which I won't go into lol). In English, "They" are "they" regardless of whether they're men or women.

So English-speaking women can be less frustrated than others. j/k

Oh, and Joe, as an English teacher, don't even get me started on folks who want to write "phoenetically"....

Last edited by sodascouts; 03-07-2003 at 10:14 PM..
Old 03-08-2003, 01:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default Re: OT: English Language

Quote:
Originally posted by sodascouts

Oh, and Joe, as an English teacher, don't even get me started on folks who want to write "phoenetically"....
Dargh! I can't believe I spelt 'phoenetic' incorrectly! I'm really showing my true 'colors' !!

Meanwhile, I've always said to my friends, if nothing else I love 'Rumours' for the way its spelt! One of the biggest-selling ever US albums and its spelt the British way!

(Oh no - post no. 666! Look away!!!!)
Old 03-08-2003, 05:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I happen to concur with Kenzo's comments one hundred percent. Whether we ultimately purchase the cd in an official capacity or not, to take what's not ours (claiming property, intellectual or otherwise, without payment) equates to theft.
Kenzo's supermarket analogy is quite apt - accessing goods with the "intention" of paying later wouldn't cut the mustard in the real world... nor should it in "Mac-land".
However, of perhaps greater concern to me than the debate at hand is the seemingly collective persecution of another Ledge member, let alone a new arrival. If diversity is to be embraced among Ledge members so should freedom of speech and the right to exercise one's opinion without fear of recrimination and vilification.
So with that, I would like to welcome you Kenzo and look forward to your future contributions.
Old 03-08-2003, 09:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by Phil
If diversity is to be embraced among Ledge members so should freedom of speech and the right to exercise one's opinion without fear of recrimination and vilification.
Sorry, I guess I just found it easy to recriminalise someone who comes out of the blue and insists I'm a criminal!
Old 03-08-2003, 10:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Well me too, and the only reason I replied to kenzo was because of the sledgehammer approach he was using. I'm sure he can be a welcome addition here, but like all of us have learned, we have tread a bit lightly sometimes.

I really have a problem with someone who comes in on the attack like that, esp. now that things are happening, you know?
Just like I said, all of us have been here when it's been dead as a graveyard. We've discussed everything from Lindsey's fingernails to Micks "balls" to Stevie's breath,........ and boy, if you can stick around for those discussions, you don't deserve to accused like that.

File-sharing is a hot-button topic, and one could go to any fan board and make the same argument, argue all day, and still never get anywhere.

I guess it needs to be in the same category as religion and politics.

I sort of see it as a gift, myself! haha! Thank you, kazaa! For little ol' me? That was very thoughtful of you!

-Sharon
Old 03-08-2003, 12:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Exclamation

Quote:
File-sharing is a hot-button topic, and one could go to any fan board and make the same argument, argue all day, and still never get anywhere.

I guess it needs to be in the same category as religion and politics.

I agree 100% sulamith! Excellent point.

Joe
Old 03-08-2003, 03:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default Re: Re: OT: English Language

Quote:
Originally posted by DownOnRodeo
Dargh! I can't believe I spelt 'phoenetic' incorrectly! I'm really showing my true 'colors' !!
Sweetie, you spelled it right! Mine was a typo. I put the word in quotation marks not because I was trying to correct you, but because I think "phonetic" spelling is bogus. How ironic!

Old 03-10-2003, 10:10 AM

Default Re: Re: Re: OT: English Language

Quote:
Originally posted by sodascouts
Sweetie, you spelled it right! Mine was a typo. I put the word in quotation marks not because I was trying to correct you, but because I think "phonetic" spelling is bogus. How ironic!
Oh my, I've been cracking up at this for a couple of days. Sorry, Joe, I almost jumped in to clear it up, but I thought it was funnier this way... Sorry.