Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-15-2013, 10:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbird View Post
"Warm Ways", "Brown Eyes", "Never Make Me Cry",
I have a BIG problem with those. Snooze.

Quote:
As for Lindsey I like quirkier things
I like quirky Lindsey like The Ledge, Time Bomb Town, Wrong, GOS. I also like commercial, pop Lindsey like Trouble and, the lesser, Did You Miss Me, but no, I don't like songs like WTWCT or Peacekeeper. I don't know what category they fall into. I just am not into them. Also some of the ballads can make me weary, like Time Precious Time. Maybe he's doing some intricate, tinkly guitar playing during that song, but yikes. The way it was placed on GOS right after Great Day, bringing that album to a screeching halt, I had to wear a neck brace for the whiplash.

Michele
Old 02-15-2013, 10:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post

i feel validated by Mick loving WATL though.
Stevie listed WATL as her favorite song of his on Tusk.

Michele
Old 02-15-2013, 10:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post

Michele
Yep. I remember her mentioning that she liked Save Me A Place too.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Michele
well then. that does it. they should really have WATL as a part of their setlist on this tour.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 02-15-2013, 10:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildHearted View Post
Yep. I remember her mentioning that she liked Save Me A Place too.
and they should forget about that one.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 02-15-2013, 10:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Elle,

Have you heard Mick's version of WATL from The Visitor? People like it.

Now, my favorite song on a Mick album is Lindsey's I Want You Back. Yowza. Like a dog without a home!

Michele
Old 02-15-2013, 10:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I like quirky Lindsey like The Ledge, Time Bomb Town, Wrong, GOS. I also like commercial, pop Lindsey like Trouble and, the lesser, Did You Miss Me, but no, I don't like songs like WTWCT or Peacekeeper. I don't know what category they fall into. I just am not into them. Also some of the ballads can make me weary, like Time Precious Time. Maybe he's doing some intricate, tinkly guitar playing during that song, but yikes. The way it was placed on GOS right after Great Day, bringing that album to a screeching halt, I had to wear a neck brace for the whiplash.
i can't stand that side of commercial pop middle of the road snooze fest pop Lindsey like Trouble and Did You Miss Me.

however lift-me-up (while words if there are any really there are kinda dark) perfect pop Lindsey like Second Hand News, Monday Morning or The Right Place To Fade = very Lindsey but also very pop perfection.

and you know i'm in complete agreement about TPT - gorgeous guitar, but that was his "my-hooks-need-to-be-grating-and-suck" period.

Old 02-15-2013, 10:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Elle,

Have you heard Mick's version of WATL from The Visitor? People like it.

Now, my favorite song on a Mick album is Lindsey's I Want You Back. Yowza. Like a dog without a home!

Michele
yeah i like it much less than either Tusk version, i actually dislike it. but Deerhunter version is really the only one that does WATL justice.

Old 02-15-2013, 10:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
yup. i kinda feel similar re Christine's slower songs vs her pop stuff.
Some of her pop stuff I can take or leave too, like "Hold Me" and "Love In Store". On the other hand I love "Little Lies" and "Think About Me", so it just depends. "Everywhere" is the one that really frustrates me, I think I could love it if the production was more earthy. I hate the windchime thing, and the harmonies in the chorus are too layered for me (at least I think those are overdubbed harmonies?).

Quote:
re Lindsey i love a lot of what you call his quirkier stuff - love both Murrow and Rover - and cannot stand What's The World Coming To, so we agree there too. i consider Second Hand News an example of his perfect pop song, not What's The World.
And "Go Your Own Way", though that can fit as a rock song instead of a pop song too (personally I think it's all some degree of pop in the end anyway). Anyway cliched addition, but cliched for a reason, it's still my favorite Mac song even if it's obvious. It's just tremendous.

Quote:
i'm surprised about your view on SMAP and WATL though. many people seem to love one and hate the other.
Oh really, that's interesting. The first time I heard Tusk all the way through I lumped "Save Me a Place", "Walk a Thin Line" and "That's All For Everyone" into the same mental category and thought I'd just never get them, but also that 6/9 wasn't bad. Now I've come around to "That's All" and love its weird spaciness, but the other two remain more or less equally lukewarm to me. They both seem to share a moderate tempo and prominent strumming, and a somewhat sad mood. I do like the lyrics to "Walk a Thin Line" a lot.

Quote:
I like quirky Lindsey like The Ledge, Time Bomb Town, Wrong, GOS. I also like commercial, pop Lindsey like Trouble and, the lesser, Did You Miss Me, but no, I don't like songs like WTWCT or Peacekeeper. I don't know what category they fall into. I just am not into them. Also some of the ballads can make me weary, like Time Precious Time. Maybe he's doing some intricate, tinkly guitar playing during that song, but yikes.
I like "Peacekeeper" more than "What's the World Coming To" but not as much as I wanted to. It has some cool lines, but it feels kind of derivative of the pop genius he's proven capable of. I'd call them mainstream pop rock, just not gems of the genre.

Some of Lindsey's songs do seem more fun to play than to listen to.

ETA: I also love "Holiday Road" and think it's great Lindsey pop. Don't shoot me.

Last edited by redbird; 02-15-2013 at 10:38 PM.. Reason: "Holiday Road" lover and not sorry.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

^Yes, I like the WATL lyrics a lot more than I like the music.

I like most of Christine's uptempo songs and I wish that her later ones (Heart of Stone, Save Me and BTM) had come out during the Rumours era. The only thing I have against YMLF is that of her popular, fast songs, it's my least favorite, but it seems to be FM's favorite. And I just get a little miffed at having to hear so much of it. If I didn't hear it so much, I would like it more.

Hold Me I put in a category all of its own. Top 5 FM song for me.

Michele
Old 02-15-2013, 10:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
^Yes, I like the WATL lyrics a lot more than I like the music.
it's all great just has to be in the right tempo and arrangement. which it is NOT on Tusk. he can do much better. and i wanna hear how good he can do with that great of a material.

redbird i agree on TAFE. TAFE and SMAP are the only 2 LB songs on Tusk i consider mediocre.

Old 02-15-2013, 10:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I like Peacekeeper and What's the World Coming To. Seems I'm a lone wolf.

The songs of Lindsey's I'm not fond of on SYW are Red Rover and Miranda... I think I like most everything else. Oh, and I hate the studio version of Say Goodbye.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I actually love "That's All For Everyone" now, heheh, but I'm not sure I consider any of his songs mediocre. It's more like my experience with a lot of modern art, I just don't get it yet, but maybe some day it'll finally click.

I love any "Say Goodbye", that song makes me sob.
Old 02-15-2013, 11:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I agree with the person who said that they would like YMLF if it wasn't so popular. Mt local 60s/70s/80s radio station plays it so darn much

I LOVE Peacekeeper. Top 3 Lindsey song ever for me.
Old 02-15-2013, 11:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildHearted View Post
I like Peacekeeper and What's the World Coming To. Seems I'm a lone wolf.

The songs of Lindsey's I'm not fond of on SYW are Red Rover and Miranda... I think I like most everything else. Oh, and I hate the studio version of Say Goodbye.
Nope, you're not alone. Two of my favorites..especially Peacekeeper. But I do like Miranda too, and Red Rover is in my top three LB songs, ever. I wanted him to play that so much on his solo tour. He plays an instrumental version of both Red Rover, and Peacekeeper, that play before his shows. They're absolutely gorgeous!

Quote:
I actually love "That's All For Everyone" now, heheh, but I'm not sure I consider any of his songs mediocre. It's more like my experience with a lot of modern art, I just don't get it yet, but maybe some day it'll finally click.

I love any "Say Goodbye", that song makes me sob.
Well said That was the case for me Walk a Thin Line. I used to argue about that song with Elle all the time. After hearing it live, in Chicago, last summer...it clicked!