The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-11-2003, 02:47 PM
Ledgie

It started for me with FM when I was in high school with the White Album. We couldn't wait until the next album, little did we know back then that the next album would be so great. The day it came out me and my neighbor went to the five and dime and got the album. Both of us wore the albums out from playing them so much, we had to get 2nd copies. I started to wear that out so I got a 8 track which I still have. Got Tusk and Mirage the day they were released. Was more of a LB fan and didn't really appreciate the genius of Stevie's solo work until I heard Timespace. Now I never miss her solo concerts. I have been a fan for over 25 years.

Terri
Old 06-11-2003, 04:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by darklinensuit
One night I was home watching American Idol when a contestant named Nikki sang this song called Edge of Seventeen. I didn't think the song was that good, but Nikki carried it well so I decided to check it out. That's how I first heard of Stevie, but when I found out she was a witch, I decided to buy only the Fleetwood Mac stuff. That's how I became a devoted fan.
I actually saw Nikki after the Stormy Weather benefit last year in LA at the Wiltern Theatre. I saw her after the show. She and her (?) Mother were going back down stairs to join the party. She was sooooo pale in person, kind of drab looking (no offense). Maybe she was just tired though. Funny thing was I was wearing a necklace Stevie once owned and she looked at it.

LOL, you had me going Jake!

Im alone now, with my thoughts...

Last edited by gypsysara; 06-11-2003 at 04:35 PM..
Old 06-11-2003, 05:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by FiercestCalmSea
The Dance.Stevie.Rhiannon
Same for me! I had never really listened to Fleetwood Mac very much before the Dance came out- although I think my mom and I listened to the Live album sometimes. My mom is a huge FM fan and she really got me hooked when the Dance come out- I was 10. I remember Rhiannon being my favorite song- I loved the ending (of course, I didn't even know about the "exercism" version ) Me and my mom watched the Dance video ALL THE TIME- and we still do . After getting the Dance CD, I think I got Stevie's Timespace and GH '88. It wasn't until about 3 years ago that I started buying the other FM albums and I got Enchanted for Christmas '01. I think that Enchanted box set was one of my favorite Christmas presents EVER ! So I am currently completely obsessed with Stevie and FM

adam
Old 06-11-2003, 09:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default my turn...

My first experience with the MAC was in 1982, when I bought Gypsy and Hold Me as 45's. I remember twirling to Gypsy and flipping Hold Me over to listen to Eyes of the World. I played this song so many times esp in front of the mirror where I used to role play to it, strumming my guitar and singing background...lol...hey give me a break..I WAS 11.
But ever since then I listened and loved the MAC, but a turning point for me was in 1997, where the obsession hit full frontal!!

Long Live the MAC!

Tamara

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." --Eleanor Roosevelt

"Maybe now he could prove to her... That he could be good for her... And they should be together.." --SN
Old 06-12-2003, 04:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: Re: Who hooked you first...

Quote:
Originally posted by seteca
EXACTLY the same for me.....! I'd heard The Chain for several years before then during the beginning of the Formula One show (without knowing who FM were)...but in 1987 Big Love (and then immediately the TITN album) was what got me into Fleetwood Mac.

That`s funny! Exactly the same way I discovered them too. Saw it 1987 on Formula one and loved the video (unlike a lot of other people here on the board but I still think it's great)
I didn`t know the group but I thought: "These people look old but the guy is somehow cool."
The singing with LB hitting the high notes- loved the song at once! Since then I am a Lindsey Buckingham Fan!
Old 06-12-2003, 11:34 PM
Junior Ledgie

Tango In The Night came out my freshman year at Penn State. Sure, I'd heard the earlier albums, and we had quite a few 45s from them - my older brother deejayed for a while when he was in high school - but Tango was the first album I bought.

(Cassette, actually. It lasted about six weeks and a few hundred playings in the Walkman....)

Funny thing is, Christine's songs/videos from that album were the ones that first interested me, but as I listened to more of their music, Lindsey's tunes were the ones that really grabbed my attention. That's still true today.
----------------------------------------
BTW, nice place you've got here. (This is my first post, but I've been lurking since shortly after the Buffalo concert, learning all kinds of interesting and useful things.... like NOT joining the fan club.....)
And reading about some of you flying cross-country to get your FM concert fix somehow makes me feel better about driving ten hours from northern PA to Indy next weekend.......
Old 06-13-2003, 01:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

It was Big Love and then Tango that got me. I have vague memories of seeing/hearing Go Insane and liking it, but Big Love was what got me hooked. Then I went back and bought the FM catalogue and spent a weekend goinbg through deja vu as I had flashbacks to childhood while listening to the eponymous lp and Rumours.

I wonder if Lindsey realizes how many sceond generation fans he brought into the fold with that then-very-up-to-date sounding single, Big Love?

John
Old 06-13-2003, 05:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by jwys_soapbox

I wonder if Lindsey realizes how many sceond generation fans he brought into the fold with that then-very-up-to-date sounding single, Big Love?

John
Yes you're right, I am surprised too how many people here also mention Big love. I still think it is a very cool song!

Anyone thinks there is one of those generation grabbers on SYW also?
Old 06-13-2003, 06:52 AM
Senior Ledgie

It was Little Lies that got to me first. I heard the single and saw the video and just loved it (especially the keyboard sounds). My sister was given a casette of TITN for her birthday but it was me that played it over and over again...I loved all of them equally at that point. I was 15.
I then tuned out of Mac for a couple of years. I started dating someone who had the green cover best of Mac album which he used to keep in his car....that was it I was hooked! Stevie really started to stand out for me at this point, especially on Rhiannon and Sara.
As a surprise gift my boyfriend brought me a copy of OSOTM and that was when Stevie totally pulled me in, hook, line and sinker! My obsession grew and grew. I had a sister-in-law who was a big Stevie fan too and she got me tickets to see her on the OSOTM tour in the UK. I went to see Mac in Manchester, UK too the next year.

It wasn't until I really got into Stevie that I realised I used to dance round my bedroom with my sister to I can't wait back in 1985 when I was 14 too...I never knew who it was at the time...but it was Stevie I came back too in the end. She must have buried into my subconscious!

Love and happiness from Sarah
Old 06-13-2003, 09:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie

For me it was hearing Silver Springs live on the Dance Concert. I saw the video for Silver Springs and have since been crazily buying everything that is Fleetwood Mac. I am looking for the 1980 Live album on CD.
Old 06-13-2003, 12:02 PM
Senior Ledgie

For me it was Stevie. In 1989(when i was 4) I saw on VH1, two videos of a beautiful woman who did all of these twirls but had a great voice as well. All i remembered from those videos was: in the first one she had on a red dress, and the second one she was singing and walked toward a huge window.

Well my dad is huge music fan and had Rumours playing a lot, so i knew most of the songs from an early age, but didn't know who it was. Then in 1997, I loved Silver Springs. My family was going on a trip and it was a 4 hour drive to get there and I wanted to take some cd's of my dad's. Well I picked The Dance, Rumours and Fleetwood Mac, and figured I'd give them a listen. The whole way there, I listened to them and i've been hooked ever since. It wasn't until later that I found out those two videos were Stevie's Rooms On Fire and If Anyone Falls.......this must have been destiny or something...

Jen

"In The Chain, Fleetwood Mac sings of love lost and love rescued. They sing of darkness and sunrises. They sing of a bond that can never be broken. A fitting prophecy for five very different people who will forever be linked together by their lives, their dreams and their music"
Old 06-13-2003, 05:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Wink Welcome!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by LCinPA
Tango In The Night came out my freshman year at Penn State. Sure, I'd heard the earlier albums, and we had quite a few 45s from them - my older brother deejayed for a while when he was in high school - but Tango was the first album I bought.

(Cassette, actually. It lasted about six weeks and a few hundred playings in the Walkman....)

Funny thing is, Christine's songs/videos from that album were the ones that first interested me, but as I listened to more of their music, Lindsey's tunes were the ones that really grabbed my attention. That's still true today.
----------------------------------------
BTW, nice place you've got here. (This is my first post, but I've been lurking since shortly after the Buffalo concert, learning all kinds of interesting and useful things.... like NOT joining the fan club.....)
And reading about some of you flying cross-country to get your FM concert fix somehow makes me feel better about driving ten hours from northern PA to Indy next weekend.......
Welcome to the Ledge LCinPA! We are all really glad you decided to start posting....yes, it is a great place to talk about the greatest band ever . Isn't it great to know that there REALLY ARE regular people out there who are just as obsessed with Fleetwood Mac as you are?!

Don't be shy about posting....and once again welcome!

adam
Old 06-14-2003, 10:39 AM
Junior Ledgie

For me it was Stevie in 1989. I was 13 years old at the time & Rooms on Fire came on the radio. I was so completely bowled over by the song that I stopped what I was doing to listen to the rest of the it. Amazingly, I can still remember where I was & what I was doing the first time I heard that song. No other artist has ever had that effect on me. There are many other bands/artists that I am a fan of but I can't remember where I was the first time I heard their music! Anyway needless to say I bought that song & then started to stock up on Stevie's back catalogue. It was then that I realised she had been in Fleetwood Mac. My parents used to play a lot of FM when I was young so I think that subconsciously I had taken it in!

Unfortunately I still haven't had the chance to see Stevie/FM live as sadly for me I live in the UK!
And cry out to life for a frozen love
Old 06-14-2003, 06:57 PM
trackaghost
This message has been deleted by trackaghost.
Old 06-14-2003, 07:59 PM
Senior Ledgie

Little Lies and Everywhere are the tracks that got me hooked
Old 06-14-2003, 09:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Cool

It was "Dreams". Hearing it constantly on the radio made me fall in love with that dreamy voice. Later on I discovered that some other songs that I loved ("Don't Stop", "You Make Loving Fun", "Everywhere") were from the same band. So I just bought the Greatest Hits CD. And the rest is history.

Song of the moment - Stop Draggin' My Heart Around