User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-12-2004, 01:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lala
I don't think you have to like all of their work to be a fan.
I should say not. Loving everything isn't love; it may be some sort of emotional hangup or neurochemical pathology. More likely, claiming to love everything is a facile way of patting oneself on the back in full view of an audience.

To me, the issue isn't one of "true fan" versus "bogus fan" but of "interesting fan" versus "big fat bore." People who have strong likes & dislikes & who enjoy talking about them & hearing others talk about them are the interesting fans to me. Alternatively, the fans who make sweeping, irrational generalizations about what other fans should or shouldn't love or the fans who literally never have anything more to say than "cool" or "yeah" or "d'uh" or "hmmm" are bores in my eyes. The Internet is a medium of discourse; you need to say something.
Old 08-12-2004, 01:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarneVaca
I realize you're done with this, Johnny. But I suspect you would be hard-pressed to find where on this thread I insulted anyone's intelligence. Unless that is not what you meant.
You were right the second time... that's not what I meant.

I came to an interesting realization about all of this last night, after re-reading this thread a couple of times, trying to see exactly where everything "went wrong."
I've figured out that nothing you say should ever be taken seriously.

That's not a dig, mind you, but rather something I've gleaned from your various posts in this thread and elsewhere.
If someone gets offended by something you've said, or feels insulted, you always quickly point out that you were just joking around.

I used to think that was just a cop-out, but now I've come to the conclusion that it's all just a big lark for you. You don't take any of it seriously... it's just that you've found a fun way for you to pass some time.

So, from here on out, I'm not taking anything you say seriously. In fact, others may want to do the same... and then hopefully that will forestall the potential for any future ill feelings.

Plus, it goes a long way in explaining some of the opinions you post!
Old 08-12-2004, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Stew
I've figured out that nothing you say should ever be taken seriously.
Dammit!! Did you have to broadcast it!?

Quote:
I used to think that was just a cop-out, but now I've come to the conclusion that it's all just a big lark for you. You don't take any of it seriously... it's just that you've found a fun way for you to pass some time.
Don't believe him, people!!! Johnny Stew is just messing with you. He will do that.

Don't believe him!
Old 08-13-2004, 06:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

1. I didn't know that was Shania.
2. I did not even see that avatar until someone said something about it that draw my attention.
3. I read the whole thread. You guys sure can fill. But I'm still left with tight pants everytime I see the the presumed misinterpretation move. Its hot dammit.

Old 08-13-2004, 09:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Stew
I take it back then... you weren't being hypocritical. My apologies.

Maybe I can just say, "I was only joking." That seems to be the cure-all.

Hopefully GretaRhiannon also felt that she was engaging in "fun repartée" and wasn't being insulted.

Johnny,
That post hit the nail right on the head!

Isn't it funny that she was suppose to see that it was a joke, but then he fails to see that you were using an example to make a point.

Great post Johnny- keep them coming.
Old 08-13-2004, 09:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissention
Hopefully people are intelligent enough to not take comments made about celebrities and their crappy behavior personally.
Does that go for everyone here, lol, or just the people who "know"?

I dont think its taken so much as personally, as it is an automatic defense that a fan has for a celeb that they admire.
Old 08-13-2004, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teedee
Johnny,
That post hit the nail right on the head!

Isn't it funny that she was suppose to see that it was a joke, but then he fails to see that you were using an example to make a point.

Great post Johnny- keep them coming.
The peanut gallery woke up.
Old 08-13-2004, 09:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I realize you're done with this, Johnny. But I suspect you would be hard-pressed to find where on this thread I insulted anyone's intelligence. Unless that is not what you meant.

Telling someone because "you Know" and basically stating that they dont know. Just go back and read your own posts, instead of asking me to quoted you where you stated that. if something was suppose to be a joke, and you have to go back and state that it was intended as a joke, I guess that means that your supposed joke wasnt taken as funny. Its not lack of sense of humor on the other party, its the tone and manner in which you state your replies and I know that you are fully aware of that, thats why you always say, please quote me where I said that".
Old 08-13-2004, 10:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
The peanut gallery woke up.

Yes I just woke up, as you so put it, while you have obviously been on going and on going. Oh and thanks for the kind words as always. Im sure you meant that in the kindest way right? Johnnys way of thinking about your posts are also right on the money.
You have made a hobby out of getting a rise out of people , everythings a joke, and supposed to be taken funny, yet your words dont send that message, hey what ever makes you happy, but I love johnnys way of thinking, i too will follow his method.
Old 08-13-2004, 10:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

OMG HOLY **** I can't believe it I just figured out what CarneVaca means by Rescind the Strike! You're talking about the strike you got on this board. You people have no idea how badly I've been puzzled buy that and was wondering what Carne was striking for. I thought it was some political thing. But after a freaking year it just clicked. I realize this has nothing to do with this topic and personally I don't care, screw you guys, you have no idea how big this was for me

He Will Burn You Down
Old 08-13-2004, 10:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
OMG HOLY **** I can't believe it I just figured out what CarneVaca means by Rescind the Strike! You're talking about the strike you got on this board. You people have no idea how badly I've been puzzled buy that and was wondering what Carne was striking for. I thought it was some political thing. But after a freaking year it just clicked. I realize this has nothing to do with this topic and personally I don't care, screw you guys, you have no idea how big this was for me
You're not alone! I, too, have always wondered what the strike comment was about, but was afraid to ask. We finally know!
Old 08-14-2004, 12:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye
I realize this has nothing to do with this topic and personally I don't care, screw you guys, you have no idea how big this was for me

LMAO..... Gotta love them lightbulb moments!
Old 08-14-2004, 02:53 AM

I say we strike Carne! Naw let's just play When I see You Again at a slower RPM around 199,998 times.